US Constitution 101 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-24-2012, 11:08 AM
Veggie Regular

I saw this recently and thought of this forum. Thinking back on some of our past discussion I believe this would be helpful for a few of you:

https://www.hillsdaleoffer.com/civic...ustom_32=E007P

Hope the new year is treating you all well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-24-2012, 11:20 AM
Veggie Regular

He's just not trying anymore.

"A-yup. Ya wasted yer life, son"

- Old Man
#3 Old 02-24-2012, 11:24 AM
Veggie Regular

My troll-dar is going off.

There is no such thing as truth. People who really know what happened aren't talking. And the people who don't have a clue, you can't shut them up. - Tom Waits
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-24-2012, 11:25 AM
Veggie Regular

This one's free: http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/cha...ranscript.html

"you know, nowhere in the bible does it say that jesus was not a raptor"

www.animal-adoptions.org

#5 Old 02-24-2012, 12:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post

This one's free: http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/cha...ranscript.html

So's the one I linked to, they ask that you cover the cost if you can. The difference is one is a class, and one is just the document.

From what I remember about this forum, many here need a class.
#6 Old 02-24-2012, 12:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks for the offer HJ, I'm up to my ears in classwork at the moment.

www.animal-adoptions.org

#7 Old 02-24-2012, 12:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowcone View Post

He's just not trying anymore.

nope, beating my head against wall is not a pleasurable experince.

Got better things to do with my time than to try and instill common sense into others, who don't want to listen.
#8 Old 02-24-2012, 12:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post

Thanks for the offer HJ, I'm up to my ears in classwork at the moment.

good luck with that.
#9 Old 02-24-2012, 12:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by havocjohn View Post

Got better things to do with my time than to try and instill common sense into others, who don't want to listen.

Your "instilling common sense" efforts are appreciated even if people don't necessarily change their views, appreciated in the same way as similar instilling efforts by people in dirty clothes smelling of whiskey, walking aimlessly in the streets and preaching the apocalypse

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#10 Old 02-24-2012, 01:00 PM
Veggie Regular

lol, isn't this the program that Sean Hannity was pitching on conservative talk radio a while ago? I always wondered if it was good information or just lousy propoganda.
#11 Old 02-24-2012, 01:16 PM
Veggie Regular

I've actually been doing a lot of reading about constitutional law and the Supreme Court lately, and looking at this syllabus, I kind of wonder about the quality of this course.

There are some rather interesting cases that have been before SCOTUS to illustrate constitutional law. I'm not seeing them in this course.
#12 Old 02-24-2012, 01:44 PM
Impeach the gangster

You've taken this course? Your review is sketchy.

As a neighbor, you're all you ever were, but your sales skills need work.

Welcome home!

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder
#13 Old 02-24-2012, 02:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlainWinthrope View Post

lol, isn't this the program that Sean Hannity was pitching on conservative talk radio a while ago? I always wondered if it was good information or just lousy propoganda.

See...some of us may have read the constitution or even studied the constitution, but we don't really understand the constitution at all, and we need someone else to explain to us why the things that are clearly right in front of us and very plainly written actually mean something completely different.

Also, Jesus loved the money changers. Totally.

Tam! RUGH!
#14 Old 02-24-2012, 03:57 PM
Veggie Regular

For HJ, the Constitution means the 2nd amendment + some random stuff added to that. So he took the course and improved on his knowledge to a small extent, and now he wants everyone else to go too.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

#15 Old 02-24-2012, 06:45 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm for all of 'em except the ones that were overturned. The 2nd is nice, but the 1st is one of the most important.

Tam! RUGH!
#16 Old 02-24-2012, 08:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh James xVx View Post

The 2nd is nice, but the 1st is one of the most important.

^ This.

www.animal-adoptions.org

#17 Old 02-24-2012, 08:25 PM
Gib
Veggie Regular

Not a fan of the 2nd as interpreted by those sharing the views of the NRA . Big fan of the 4th, 5th, and 6th though.
#18 Old 02-24-2012, 11:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

See...some of us may have read the constitution or even studied the constitution, but we don't really understand the constitution at all, and we need someone else to explain to us why the things that are clearly right in front of us and very plainly written actually mean something completely different.

You have to study case law to really understand the constitution. That's where the really sexy stuff is. The evolution of "privacy" in the courts is especially interesting.
#19 Old 02-25-2012, 12:11 AM
Veggie Regular

I find some of the case law to be fascinating. For example, do states have the power to regulate private businesses? Munn vs. Illinois is one of the major cases in the Supreme Court history to deal with this.
#20 Old 02-25-2012, 07:50 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

Your "instilling common sense" efforts are appreciated even if people don't necessarily change their views, appreciated in the same way as similar instilling efforts by people in dirty clothes smelling of whiskey, walking aimlessly in the streets and preaching the apocalypse

only if they are wrong I guess.

But then again as I have stated in the past I really don't care what foreign nationals think in regards to US politics.
#21 Old 02-25-2012, 07:56 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I'm for all of 'em except the ones that were overturned. The 2nd is nice, but the 1st is one of the most important.

the 2nd is what protects all the rest from being taken from us, if the Patriot Act wasn't enough to wake people up to the real possibility then NDAA should have been, and if that isn't the recent attempt by Obama to tell religious orgs what they have to do no matter what guise it takes should be a wake up call, but I would wager most here don't recognize reality when it slaps them in the face.

It's like the old frog experiment, put a frog in a pot of water and slowly bring it to boil and the frog will just sit there not realizing it is being boiled...... most don't even realize "1984" is here and growing, actually kinda sad.
#22 Old 02-25-2012, 07:59 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gib View Post

Not a fan of the 2nd as interpreted by those sharing the views of the NRA . Big fan of the 4th, 5th, and 6th though.

and what exactly will you do when one day the 2nd is no longer there and the gov't decides the rest don't apply either?

Without the 2nd the rest are meaning less, and the founders knew that. The shot heard round the world was fired when the British tried to take the guns and disarm the colonists.
#23 Old 02-25-2012, 08:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

But then again as I have stated in the past I really don't care what foreign nationals think in regards to US politics.

Likewise I don't care what homophobic conspiracy theorists think in regards to US politics

"and I stand

upon a mountain

#24 Old 02-25-2012, 08:53 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Likewise I don't care what homophobic conspiracy theorists think in regards to US politics

Since your response is off topic I will refrain from violating the posting rules; except to say being opposed to something both from a biological standpoint (evolution) and religious standpoint doesn't make one afraid of something.
#25 Old 02-25-2012, 08:56 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Since your response is off topic I will refrain from violating the posting rules; except to say being opposed to something both from a biological standpoint (evolution) and religious standpoint doesn't make one afraid of something.

Since your reference to "foreign nationals" was off topic, I will not refrain from saying that the term 'homophobia' does not require fear.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

#26 Old 02-25-2012, 09:00 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Since your reference to "foreign nationals" was off topic, I will not refrain from saying that the term 'homophobia' does not require fear.

Actually since we are talking about the United States Constitution, foreign nationals really have nothing to do with the topic. As to whether or not homophobia requires fear or not depends on whether one goes with the newest definitions being created or with the old one. I realize where the majority on this board will come down on that issue.
#27 Old 02-25-2012, 09:03 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Actually since we are talking about the United States Constitution, foreign nationals really have nothing to do with the topic. As to whether or not homophobia requires fear or not depends on whether one goes with the newest definitions being created or with the old one. I realize where the majority on this board will come down on that issue.

Foreign nationals are unable to form opinions or to type them, concerning the US constitution? That's an interesting point of view; but it's true, I did notice my browser gave me an error when I tried to comment on the constitution.

And yes, it's usually good to stick to old definitions. I stick usually to the 1808 meanings of words, to ensure good communication with people living in 2012.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

#28 Old 02-25-2012, 09:15 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Foreign nationals are unable to form opinions or to type them, concerning the US constitution? That's an interesting point of view; but it's true, I did notice my browser gave me an error when I tried to comment on the constitution.

And yes, it's usually good to stick to old definitions. I stick usually to the 1808 meanings of words, to ensure good communication with people living in 2012.

You can have an opinion, I just don't care what foreign nationals think in regards to the US. Just like I am sure you really don't care what I think about SS land.
#29 Old 02-25-2012, 09:25 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Just like I am sure you really don't care what I think about SS land.

Or about the US for that matter. Or Obama's birthplace.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

#30 Old 02-25-2012, 09:45 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

That's why I rarely use the term, the same going for islamophobia or words of the same sort.

"Hell exists not to punish sinners, but to ensure that nobody sins in the first place."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page