some vegetables aren't vegan because they are a by-product of fish farming - Page 6 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#151 Old 05-01-2012, 12:21 PM

Today's peat bogs are tomorrows fossil fuels...If we don't keep slicing them apart for agriculture, that is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#152 Old 05-02-2012, 04:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazyeeqen View Post

Wooooooo! Mollusk revival!

Revival kazyeeqen? Been mollusks all the way for me.
#153 Old 05-12-2013, 08:49 AM

I am a vegan gardener and I found this thread when googleing "vegan garden mullosk" (misspelling of mullusk) and then I saw lekawa's concerns about needing more nitrogen for his or her garden and preferring to perhaps use blood meal rather than than a vegan alternative, such as nitrogen made in a factory.

Just wanted to point out that fertilizer made in factories, such as sodium nitrate, ammonium phosphate, and urea, may not be considered suitable for organic gardening, yet the nitrogen in them is made usable to green plants by a similar method to the method that nitrogen fixing organisms use. Both nitrogen fixing prokaryotes (free-living in the soil or attached to the root nodules of legumes) and fertilizer factories (sometime called plants!) that produce nitrogen plant food, use a chemical process to take the nitrogen that is in the atmosphere, and combine it with hydrogen, to make ammonium ions, which can be taken up by plants, through their roots, or converted to other nitrogen ions that can be taken up by plant roots. The main difference is that nitrogen fixing organisms use enzymes, and utilize the hydrogen in the organic matter in the soil, and fertilizer factories use high temperature and pressure, and utilize the hydrogen in natural gas (or sometimes other fossil fuels). Research is being done to find other sources of hydrogen. 

Also, early in the 20th century, before the invention of factory-made nitrogen fertilizer, there was a shortage of poop and slaughter house waste to use for plant agriculture. The result was starvation and malnutrition in many places. Factory-made nitrogen fertilizer was hailed as a technological breakthrough that could end the starvation that was being caused by the fact that there wasn't enough poop and blood meal to go around. Of course that turned out to be short-sighted. Instead of ending starvation, factory-made nitrogen fertilizer resulted in 2 things, (1) a rapid increase in population along with a continuing food shortage (2) new and better explosives that people could use for good or bad.

If more people go vegan and animal agriculture is reduced, and if we are successful at getting more people to follow a vegan lifestyle, it seems reasonable to assume that once again, there won't be enough animal poop and blood meal, to grow agricultural plants. We will have to find another way to get enough nitrogen for our plant agriculture, other than using poop and blood meal. 

We may need scientific research to maximize nitrogen amounts in compost, by controlling materials, temperature, and microorganism innoculants. But until we develop  such high-tech composting, 3 things we can do now are simply to make very large amounts of compost, put plenty of green vegetable matter (tree leaves for minerals, green matter for nitrogen) in the compost bin or pile, and devote as much land as possible to growing green manures and cover crops.

For a vegan garden, you can't depend on one little compost bin, for 10 or 15 raised beds, the way you can for a regular organic garden. What I've done is out of every 12 raised beds, I have 3 beds devoted to compost piles, and 3 beds devoted to cover crops or green manures. So about 1/2 my land has food plants growing on it, and the other half is devoted to improving the soil. Half the land I am taking nutrients out, and on half the land I am putting nutrients back in. And of course, every year, I switch, I rotate. The compost piles are in 3 stages of maturity, there is always one containing finished compost, one that is part way along in the process, and one just recently started and still having material being added to it. And beyond those 12 beds, I still import fall leaves from trees growing elsewhere on my property, import grass clippings from my small lawn (about the size of 2 beds).

I send out soil samples to cooperative extension, and they tell me my soil has enough nitrogen.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page