some vegetables aren't vegan because they are a by-product of fish farming - Page 3 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#61 Old 02-04-2012, 09:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbitLuvr View Post

Maybe it's a plant? Shaped like a mollusk?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34824610...t-half-animal/

Enjoying the view over at http://forum.veggieviews.com/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 Old 02-04-2012, 09:43 PM
Banned

Quote:

So, it's half vegan? Can I fertilize my garden with it, or not?
#63 Old 02-04-2012, 09:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

So, it's half vegan? Can I fertilize my garden with it, or not?

Well, yes. But I admit there may be some mullusks on it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#64 Old 02-04-2012, 09:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegkid View Post

Well, yes. But I admit there may be some mullusks on it.

Well, as long as there aren't any mollusks, I think it will be ok.
#65 Old 02-04-2012, 09:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Well, as long as there aren't any mollusks, I think it will be ok.

I want to start using pwdre ser as fertilizer. I wonder if that's vegan.

#66 Old 02-04-2012, 09:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Some mollusks randomly attaching themselves to seaweed is obviously different from deliberate fish farming..
#67 Old 02-04-2012, 10:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornsail View Post

Some mollusks randomly attaching themselves to seaweed is obviously different from deliberate fish farming..

But still, it's all about purity, and this is vegan and that isn't, and whatnot. Like I said before. Those mollusks didn't deserve to die any more than those fish did. Ethically speaking, the two are both killing animals, so it seems that Soilman should be equally pissed off about the "mullusks" since he's so angry about the fish.

#68 Old 02-04-2012, 10:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

But still, it's all about purity, and this is vegan and that isn't, and whatnot. Like I said before. Those mollusks didn't deserve to die any more than those fish did. Ethically speaking, the two are both killing animals, so it seems that Soilman should be equally pissed off about the "mullusks" since he's so angry about the fish.

That sounds like an omni argument. "Harvesting crops kills mice so vegans are ethically equivalent to meat eaters." The differences are intention and magnitude.

E: Ninja typo correction
#69 Old 02-04-2012, 10:21 PM
Banned

Quote:

That sounds like an omni argument. "Harvesting crops kills mice so vegans are ethically equivalent to meat eaters." The differences are intention and magnitude.

'Purity' seemed to be the intent of the OP. The post I read, anyway.
#70 Old 02-05-2012, 06:37 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I'm just going off Grandpa's logic here.

#71 Old 02-05-2012, 08:10 AM
Banned

Wow that sea-slug stuff is really interesting. However it is clearly seems to be mostly animal and only slightly plant, rather than 1/2 and 1/2.

This makes me wonder if any carnivorous or omnivorous animals end up getting animal genes, from the animals they eat? Like maybe Michael Jackson ate a white person and that's why his skin produced white person pigment?
#72 Old 02-05-2012, 08:13 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

If you can come up with some magical revolutionary way to turn the factory system into sunshine and rainbows, Mr. Gramps, then this might be a conceivable possibility.

There are some things that are hard-wired into the system. Until the root of it stops (the meat industry) then this stuff is probably not going to stop. I'd love to think it could be protested or whined away, but everything is so intertwined right now and has so much support that it's not just going to change whether we "effin grow up" or not.

In the end, what you're doing is even bigger whining than the whiners are doing. If you're so concerned about it, get out there and change it however you want everyone else to and stop whining about it on an internet forum in the hopes that someone else will do it for you.

This.

I think the best way to help the most animals remains actually directly confronting the raising and slaughtering of said animals on a wide scale, especially by educating the young. Becoming "the vegan police" and obsessing over every ingredient will not save the most animals, and may turn some people away from trying to save any.

Tam! RUGH!
#73 Old 02-05-2012, 09:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by soilman View Post

Wow that sea-slug stuff is really interesting. However it is clearly seems to be mostly animal and only slightly plant, rather than 1/2 and 1/2.

This makes me wonder if any carnivorous or omnivorous animals end up getting animal genes, from the animals they eat? Like maybe Michael Jackson ate a white person and that's why his skin produced white person pigment?

And you expect us to take you seriously?

"you know, nowhere in the bible does it say that jesus was not a raptor"

www.animal-adoptions.org

#74 Old 02-05-2012, 10:22 AM
Banned

"Until the root of it stops (the meat industry) then this stuff is probably not going to stop."

In my view, the meat industry is not the root cause of the suffering of animals. I believe the root cause is are the people who have a desire to eat the flesh of animals, at least, I believe they are more responsible for animal suffering than the smaller number of people working in agriculture who supply these flesh eaters with the flesh they want. I think it is sort of similar to why we have a proliferation of drug use in many places. It is not primarily due to a handful of drug makers "pushing" their drugs on millions of people people; rather, it is mostly due to the millions of people having a desire for drugs. I'm not alone. Most experts agree that the way to stop drug use is to concentrate on the drug users, to help them learn to live without drugs, rather than to concentrate on putting drug dealers out of business — that the idea of drug "pushers" is a fallacy. I believe the same is true for animal husbandry. Concentrate on the demand side, not the supply side.

With that in mind, I agree with those who say that having people go vegan is going to have more of an effect than having people scrutinize how their vegetables were grown. However I think we need to do both. Despite having been repeatedly accused of the following, I am not trying to say that someone who buys vegetables grown by aquaculture is not a vegan. What I want, is for people to know what is going on, and to choose vegetables grown veganly, or closer to veganly, where they have a choice. I also want to see more vegans going into commercial agriculture. I believe that you drive out the negative, by accentuating the positive, rather than by focusing on driving out the negative. And with food, growing food plants and preparing meals, is the way to do that.

I also want to note that vegan-grown vegetables, even if not grown strictly organically, are better tasting and more nutritious, than most other commercially grown vegetables. I want my vegan grandchildren to be happy and healthy. You can taste the difference between, on one hand, vegetables grown in soil rich in decaying leaves, and decaying green manures, and on the other hand, vegetables grown in composted bone meal, blood meal, and fecal matter. The difference is drastic, and remarkable.

And before someone complains, again, that when I first started my garden, I composted, among other things, grass clippings that I collected from my neigbors who put chemicals on their lawns, I remind you that "organic" vegetable growers use blood meal, bone meal, and feces, that has come from animals who have been fed plants that were, similarly, grown with chemicals. Also, I tend to think that diverting those grass clippings and composting them, and reusing the nitrogen, was better than allowing the town to collect them, and put them into local landfill.

As the years went by, I used less grass clippings from neighbor's lawns, in my compost, and used more green manures that I grew myself, eventually relying only on materials coming from my own property, except for seaweed that I collected at the seashore, ground limestone, mineral sources of phosphorous and potassium, and occasionally, some haber-process sources of nitrogen (which is vegan, but not "organic.") Most of the nitrogen always came from compost and green manures. I grew huge quantities of oats, rye (grasses), peas, buckwheat, alfalfa, clover, soybeans, and more stuff that I can't remember off hand — so that I didn't have to rely on grass clippings collected from my neighbors, anymore.

I am saving up my money from driving a taxi, and from my computer repair business and web sites, and hopefully I will soon have enough to put a down payment on some garden spot somewhere, so I can have a garden again. Those of you who haven't seen my garden, you can google vegan garden photos and find pictures and descriptions.

Take even the simplest foods like a plain steamed potato. Cut a potato into small pieces and steam it. That's it, that is the whole recipe. Oh yea, except for the ingredients that go into the soil that go into the potato. Different choices for these ingredients make a completely different dish. People are often so accustomed to spices and herbs that they don't realize how complex the flavor is of a simple steamed potato, and how one potato can taste remarkable different from another, and how important this difference is to whethe people enjoy it or not.

Potatoes are very heavy feeders so I grew them in almost pure compost.

Different compost made different-tasting potatoes.

All of them were much better than those grown by commercial growers. The flavor, the texture, the aroma, everything. One I would want to eat, the other I wouldn't want to eat. As if they were entirely different vegetables. Even though they were genetically identical. I knew they were genetically identical because I culivated them using vegetative propogation, from locally grown commercial potatoes that I bought in the local farmer's market.
#75 Old 02-05-2012, 11:47 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Yeah, complaining makes a difference. What I'm annoyed with is that soilman is telling everyone to stop complaining and do something about it, while at the same time he's complaining and doing nothing about it.

I wouldn't know if he is doing nothing about it. Considering he is named "soilman" and has a picture of what appears to be food he's grown himself and telling other people to grow their own food I'm going to say it's not outlandish to believe he is doing something about it.
Even if he weren't, his message is still there: Grow your own food.

Obviously, complaining about someone complaining about someone complaining is ludicrous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixie View Post

Some vegans do support fast food chains if they serve vegan food to try to show that there is a market for that type of food.

Support, as in keep them in business. If they are supporting a menu item that is (supposedly) vegan, then I would not interpret that to be supporting the business; I would see that as supporting a change in their business model.

Fear is simply the consequence of the acceptance of ignorance; reject ignorance and accept knowledge-- with knowledge all fears are relinquished and the light of truth within shines through to guide your path.
#76 Old 02-05-2012, 12:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Like maybe Michael Jackson ate a white person and that's why his skin produced white person pigment?

omg
Are you for real?
#77 Old 02-05-2012, 03:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I'm just going off Grandpa's logic here.

No you aren't. The topic is about deliberate animal farming, which is the normal vegan standard. You're talking about accidental animal deaths that occur based on plant harvesting, which is usually only brought up by omnis who try to argue that it's ethically equivalent to deliberate exploitation.
#78 Old 02-05-2012, 06:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Okay, I'm officially out of here. Goofing around is one thing, but being a total dumbass about people who died is another.

#79 Old 02-06-2012, 08:08 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0mmy View Post

Support, as in keep them in business. If they are supporting a menu item that is (supposedly) vegan, then I would not interpret that to be supporting the business; I would see that as supporting a change in their business model.

If you are buying food from a company then I would see it as supporting the business. I know some vegans that won't buy anything from companies like McDonalds or Coca Cola. (This is off topic anyway I know.)
#80 Old 02-06-2012, 08:47 AM
Veggie Regular

I opened this thread thinking that the title was a joke. I'm just so sorry that it is apparently not.
#81 Old 02-06-2012, 08:48 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger View Post

I opened this thread thinking that the title was a joke. I'm just so sorry that it is apparently not.

You should know better.

"you know, nowhere in the bible does it say that jesus was not a raptor"

www.animal-adoptions.org

#82 Old 02-06-2012, 09:58 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh James xVx View Post

This.

I think the best way to help the most animals remains actually directly confronting the raising and slaughtering of said animals on a wide scale, especially by educating the young. Becoming "the vegan police" and obsessing over every ingredient will not save the most animals, and may turn some people away from trying to save any.

is anyone actually obsessing over it ?? it just looks like a discussion of the issue to me.

Quote:

Like maybe Michael Jackson ate a white person and that's why his skin produced white person pigment?

awesome

auto correct can kiss my ask
#83 Old 02-06-2012, 10:01 AM
Veggie Regular

Michael Jackson ate a white person? What a cool rumor to start!
#84 Old 02-06-2012, 10:23 AM
Banned

The alternate hypothesis is he got larges patches of white due to vitiligo, and decided to even out his skin tone by topical application of monobenzone. This would not require eating anything.

And on to another hypothesis: Benjamin Rush, the "father" of psychiatry in the US, a slavery abolitionist, and signer of the declaration of Independence, his theory was that Africans were dark because they suffered from a disorder that affected skin pigmentation (a form of leprosy, he claimed), and what was mistakenly thought by most doctors to be the "disease" of Vitiligo, was actually spontaneous remission of the disease that caused blackness. Therefore dark-skinned people were sick, and those that were enslaved should be freed, so as to be able to better seek appropriate medical treatment. In turning white, Michael Jackson was simply was undergoing spontaneous remission. And y'all thought my "ate a white person" theory was crazy.
#85 Old 02-06-2012, 10:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Michael Jackson ate a white person? What a cool rumor to start!

lisa marie presley says it wasnt her

auto correct can kiss my ask
#86 Old 02-06-2012, 11:58 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

The thread would be a joke, but I admit you may find some mullusks attached to it.

Sorry. Couldn't resist.

I'm out of here now. Honest.

#87 Old 02-06-2012, 04:17 PM
Banned

Quote:

The thread would be a joke, but I admit you may find some mullusks attached to it.

But..... I STILL DON'T KNOW WHAT THE **** A MULLUSK IS!
#88 Old 02-07-2012, 12:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

But..... I STILL DON'T KNOW WHAT THE **** A MULLUSK IS!

A mullusk might be defined as something, but I admit you may find some mullusks attached to the mullusks.

MULLUSKCEPTION

#89 Old 02-07-2012, 05:56 PM
Banned

Quote:

A mullusk might be defined as something, but I admit you may find some mullusks attached to the mullusks.

MULLUSKCEPTION

I'm ok with that. As long as there are no mollusks attached to the mullusks.
#90 Old 02-07-2012, 06:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I'm ok with that. As long as there are no mollusks attached to the mullusks.

There aren't mollusks attached to the mullusks, but I admit there may be some mullusks attached to the mollusks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page