Vegetarians who choose to eat meat while pregnant - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-26-2012, 09:46 AM
Veggie Regular

I've noticed an uptake in women (both here on vb and irl) who give up veg*nism when they find out they are pregnant. They say they are 'listening to their bodies', and plan on going back to not eating meat after birth. Yet, there are women who crave things like dirt and chalk during pregnancy. This doesn't mean they have to eat it, just that they need to be sure they are getting all the vitamins and things they need.

I've also noticed that several have said they got tired of their husbands badgering them to eat meat. All I'm going to say about this is, why would someone choose to be with someone else who does not respect your ethics, just because you are carrying 'their' offspring?

I feel like I have a unique perspective on this, because I've been vegetarian since birth. My mother was vegetarian throughout her pregnancy with me, and I was old enough to remember her pregnancy with my little brother. My mother didn't have any complications, she had plenty of energy, and while she will say that pregnancy is no walk in the park; hers wasn't any worse than any omni's I've seen. My brother and I were both big, healthy babies. We've developed normally, and we've grown into healthy adults (and no, neither of us suffer from any cognitive disability).

So what do you think? Is eating meat during pregnancy excusable, or does being pregnant not give you a free pass?

Who needs sleep when we've got love?
Who needs keys when we've got clubs?
Who needs please when we've got guns?
Who needs peace when we've gone above?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-26-2012, 09:48 AM
Herbivorous Urchin

I don't think it is excusable, it boils down the great ethics question, now that you have the knowledge what do you do with it. The fact that they got pregnant shouldn't change their morals or values in a negative way as to eat meat, it's ridiculous. Especially since it's safe for you and your baby, so why feed your fetus carcass?

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#3 Old 01-26-2012, 10:01 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't think it is excusable either. Your body needs meat during pregnancy like you need a hole in the wrist.

"If you are lonely when you're alone, you are in bad company."
Jean-Paul Sartre
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-26-2012, 10:27 AM
Banned

No free pass, the animals still have to die to be eaten whether the consumer is pregnant or not.

i don't call these people vegetarians because vegetarians choose NOT to eat meat.
#5 Old 01-26-2012, 10:42 AM
Banned

deleted

#6 Old 01-26-2012, 10:59 AM
Veggie Regular

I think the "listening to my body" stuff is bull****.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#7 Old 01-26-2012, 11:15 AM
Super Moderator

Really, a thread now?
#8 Old 01-26-2012, 11:44 AM
Banned

I think it's a disgrace to use pregnancy as an excuse to eat the babies of other animals. It also adds to the myth that vegetarianism is not nutritionally sound, as if it can't provide enough for the baby.
#9 Old 01-26-2012, 11:46 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthling View Post

I think it's a disgrace to use pregnancy as an excuse to eat the babies of other animals. It also adds to the myth that vegetarianism is not nutritionally sound, as if it can't provide enough for the baby.

I agree. Then it makes it that much harder for the rest of us to fend off opposition to maintaining veg*nism while pregnant. "But my friend/coworker/wife/etc ate meat during pregnancy, you need it!"

#10 Old 01-26-2012, 11:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

I think the "listening to my body" stuff is bull****.

If I "listened to my body" I would eat nothing but stone fruit, chocolate, and bread. I think any baby my uterus was trying to nurture would force its way out, alien style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbleforlola View Post

I agree. Then it makes it that much harder for the rest of us to fend off opposition to maintaining veg*nism while pregnant. "But my friend/coworker/wife/etc ate meat during pregnancy, you need it!"

#11 Old 01-26-2012, 11:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

Really, a thread now?

im out of the loop of all the vb gossip....did a member quit being veg bc she was pregnant?
#12 Old 01-26-2012, 12:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Until I've been pregnant, I can't answer this question.
#13 Old 01-26-2012, 12:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvourmother View Post

im out of the loop of all the vb gossip....did a member quit being veg bc she was pregnant?

Yes. But it's obviously a general issue too, and I think VB has had other members like that.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

#14 Old 01-26-2012, 12:07 PM
Veggie Regular

I also think that if, for any given person, becoming pregnant has the risk of taking away their capacity for making moral decisions, that is a sufficient argument not to get pregnant and adopt instead.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

#15 Old 01-26-2012, 12:43 PM

Interesting... You'd think you'd want to eat as healthy as possible to grow a minnie you. To me even when I ate meat the healthiest food to me was fruit and veg so you'd want to eat more of them... at least that's my logic. Maybe I'll think different when I'm preggo but I seriously doubt I'll say you know what I really want to eat a dead anything.

Audrey
#16 Old 01-26-2012, 12:56 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvourmother View Post

She gave in to cravings, but said she'll return after the baby is born.
#17 Old 01-26-2012, 01:04 PM
Banned

Quote:

So what do you think? Is eating meat during pregnancy excusable, or does being pregnant not give you a free pass?

"Her body, her choice" isn't the right answer in this instance then?
#18 Old 01-26-2012, 01:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless Git View Post

"Her body, her choice" isn't the right answer in this instance then?

A pregnant woman can make any decisions governing the domain of her own body she wants to. The trickier part in getting meat is that usually, as it turns out, you have to procure it from outside your own body, which is often the area where you can't really claim dominion.

I think if you keep this up though, you could turn 72% of VB threads into abortion threads in 19 days*.

*rough prediction

"and I stand

upon a mountain

#19 Old 01-26-2012, 01:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Lets keep the abortion nonsense in the abortion thread, shall we?

Let's not antagonize the good posters of vb, please and thank you.

#20 Old 01-26-2012, 01:15 PM
Veggie Regular

My cousin claimed she was vegetarian befor becomin pregnant( i dont remember this) and she said when she got pregnant she couldnt handle the cravings and she started eating meat. She never came back to our side.

I dont think you should give up your ethics just because your pregnant. If you eat healthy than there should be no problem. Eating a dead cow isnt going to make your baby better than anyone elses.
#21 Old 01-26-2012, 01:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Maybe if we ever got to a point where we were to extend animal cruelty laws to apply to slaughtering or hunting animals, we should still have a small exception to those laws and have one big factory farm in the US to supply meat just for those suffering from pregnancy-related "cravings". Because I don't think they could survive otherwise.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

#22 Old 01-26-2012, 02:07 PM
Ex-*****

I think it's wrong, obviously. But I can understand being pregnant is indeed "no walk in the park", and if you're not already a "hardcore" vegetarian and your friends and family are pressuring you to eat flesh, then I can understand it's very hard to resist them.

I no longer post here after VB was sold in 2012. (See my profile page for details.)
#23 Old 01-26-2012, 02:18 PM
Veggie Regular

I couldn't even walk past the meat section in the grocery store while I was pregnant, and I wasn't vegetarian yet.

I guess I would give a "health vegetarian" a free pass, but would side eye an ethics veg*n. I know a veg diet is healthier, without any doubt, but I'm not in the game of questioning other people's dietary choices regularly.

The opposite of war isn't peace. It's creation!
#24 Old 01-26-2012, 02:27 PM
Veggie Regular

I've never been pregnant so I have no idea what it's like. I do know though that hormones can mess up your brain space something crazy. This paired with an unsupportive atmosphere, I can see how easy it would be to cave. It's still the wrong choice, but in some environments and situations, it's difficult to be strong and stand up for what you believe in.

That said, plenty of women are able to give up drink, drugs and/or cigarettes when they get pregnant. The cravings for which are a million times worse than craving for any particular food could be. We wouldn't try to defend women who choose to continue to smoke. Also, what sort of environment is that setting up for your future child where your cravings are more important that what you believe is right?

Plus as others have said, it's total nonsense from a health perspective to 'listen to your body' and it makes a vegetarian diet look, to outsiders, insufficient nutritionally.
#25 Old 01-26-2012, 02:58 PM
Veggie Regular

For people who are unsupported by friends and family and/or people who are uneducated about veg nutrition, I can see how backsliding into nonveg*nism happens. I don't condone it, but I can understand it. I think pregnant women are under a lot of pressure so I can understand it.

I just think it's sad when people are so uneducated about nutrition that they actually think they need anything they have a craving for. No, you don't need sour skittles or peanut butter ice cream or meat. You just don't need those things. You crave those things and that's all. If you eat them that's a choice you made with your mind, not something your body told you to do.

Oh god, now I want peanut butter and chocolate vegan ice cream. Damn.
#26 Old 01-26-2012, 03:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElaineV View Post

For people who are unsupported by friends and family and/or people who are uneducated about veg nutrition, I can see how backsliding into nonveg*nism happens. I don't condone it, but I can understand it. I think pregnant women are under a lot of pressure so I can understand it.

I just think it's sad when people are so uneducated about nutrition that they actually think they need anything they have a craving for. No, you don't need sour skittles or peanut butter ice cream or meat. You just don't need those things. You crave those things and that's all. If you eat them that's a choice you made with your mind, not something your body told you to do.

Oh god, now I want peanut butter and chocolate vegan ice cream. Damn.

I have a friend who thinks she has some kind of special nutritional need because all she ever wants to eat is meat so she thinks her body NEEDS meat. Never mind that she feels like crap all the time and can't poo.
#27 Old 01-26-2012, 03:11 PM
Banned

I think it's really sad when people are so mis-educated about nutrition . The dietician at my last hospital has multiple eating disorders and couldn't tell me what the recommended daily intake of salt is.

That's not always the case though, there are plenty of people who go back to eating meat knowing full well that they don't need it to be healthy.
#28 Old 01-26-2012, 03:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

All I'm going to say about this is, why would someone choose to be with someone else who does not respect your ethics, just because you are carrying 'their' offspring?

Misplaced, arbitrary, and shallow, hormonal attachment.

Some people have a greater urge to fill a codependent hole than to find anything that approaches real love. :shrug: Doesn't seem much to do about it.

Quote:

Not at all excusable; if somebody eats meat when they "crave" it, or makes excuses for eating meat now and then that person is not a vegetarian. Vegetarians don't eat meat, not when they're pregnant, not every thanksgiving, not every centennial, not when all of the planets come into alignment. Pretty much the definition.

"I am astonished by the audacity to tell such lies about me." "[...]my remarks have been elaborated and exaggerated nearly beyond recognition." -Albert Einstein
Don't buy everything you read on the net. Most "Einstein" quotes are lies. He can't defend his honor now; where's the respect for a...
#29 Old 01-26-2012, 03:16 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

I also think that if, for any given person, becoming pregnant has the risk of taking away their capacity for making moral decisions, that is a sufficient argument not to get pregnant and adopt instead.

That's a really really good point.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#30 Old 01-26-2012, 03:25 PM
Veggie Regular

My body needs lentils, I'm going to eat it and I don't care what you say!

"Hell exists not to punish sinners, but to ensure that nobody sins in the first place."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page