"Being Fat Is Now Illegal in Japan" - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-01-2011, 05:54 PM
Veggie Regular

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=L1hqHo6lyUU

The uploader created a title that is a bit more sensationalist than is perhaps warranted, though, I could see a valid argument for it.

The Japanese government is certainly applying pressure on corporations to apply pressure on their employees to lose weight and get to 33".

There isn't enough love in the Universe....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-01-2011, 06:08 PM
Veggie Regular

33.5 for men and women at 35.5 inches. That's pretty slim.
#3 Old 12-01-2011, 06:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Financial incentives are good. If we saw more risk based health insurance premiums in our country people would change.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-01-2011, 06:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazyeeqen View Post

33.5 for men and women at 35.5 inches. That's pretty slim.

Japanese are small peeps.
#5 Old 12-01-2011, 06:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forster View Post

Japanese are small peeps.

Nationwide? Seems like a slim margin for variation.
#6 Old 12-01-2011, 06:51 PM
Veggie Regular

What is this I don't even

I mean really? Really? Really? Seriously? Really? Waist size is the only measure they take? Really? That's like the most terrible, most laziest measure of health possible. It's not even as good as BMI, and BMI is total crap. Seriously? Really. And like ok what if people over the dreaded mid-30 mark start eating better and working out and they get a lot healthier but their waistline doesn't go down sufficiently? Will they still be penalized?

Really?

Like this is a joke right? Please tell me it's a joke?
#7 Old 12-01-2011, 06:54 PM
Veggie Regular

According to the report, the companies cannot technically penalize the employees for being over the 33-inch waist limit.

There isn't enough love in the Universe....
#8 Old 12-01-2011, 08:10 PM

I honestly don't know how I feel about this. On one hand, I think in countries with universal health care, people should absolutely do as much as possible for maintaining a healthy weight (this includes being underweight). It's our responsibility to stay as healthy as we possibly can. On the other hand, there are lots of reasons, and even places where maintaining a healthy body weight is REALLY hard. Medical issues/medicines/access to affordable healthy food/knowledge on how to eat healthfully/access to exercise equipment are all issues that making it hard for certain populations to have the "ideal" body weight. And besides, some people are just genetically bigger.
#9 Old 12-01-2011, 08:50 PM
Banned

The Japanese make everything small. When they bought out 7-Eleven in the eighties, they managed to fit a 64 oz Big Gulp into a cup half an inch tall and a quarter-inch wide, but never released it since they thought it would affect sales.
#10 Old 12-02-2011, 04:34 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoBravo View Post

According to the report, the companies cannot technically penalize the employees for being over the 33-inch waist limit.

Maybe not formally, but surely the embarrassment of knowing that you, personally, are costing your company money by having an unacceptable waist size is punishment in itself. This whole thing is just straight-up body shaming, which is a terrible way to encourage people to lose weight.
#11 Old 12-02-2011, 06:03 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatricious View Post

Maybe not formally, but surely the embarrassment of knowing that you, personally, are costing your company money by having an unacceptable waist size is punishment in itself. This whole thing is just straight-up body shaming, which is a terrible way to encourage people to lose weight.

"Shaming" as a method seems somewhat appropriate for Japan.

"Hell exists not to punish sinners, but to ensure that nobody sins in the first place."
#12 Old 12-02-2011, 11:56 AM

I'm not Japanese - but I'm 5'0", 170 pounds, waist 35" - and at least 75% of the people I see in a given day are fatter than me, some two or three times my circumference. That said, I want desperately to lose weight, I've been on every diet there is over the past 20 years and the result is I'm 50 pounds heavier than I started.
#13 Old 12-02-2011, 12:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

They have a very different culture than we do, so this actually might be pretty effective. I'm not saying I agree with it.

And yes there's more to being healthy than having a slim waist-line. Surly that's not the only thing they measure?

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

**** Mcdonalds. God, I'm really starting to hate them.

"I am a woman of science. At least that's what my horoscope said."
#14 Old 12-02-2011, 12:42 PM
Veggie Regular

This is happening in the US too. I'm a government employee and next year we will be required to take a health assessment that is based on waist circumference. Women with a waist over 35", and 40" for men, are required to participate in weight management activities. The program is voluntary, but those choosing to not participate will be charged a $20 per month surcharge, regardless of weight.

I wonder if they got the idea from the Japanese program.
#15 Old 12-02-2011, 12:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsnip View Post

This is happening in the US too. I'm a government employee and next year we will be required to take a health assessment that is based on waist circumference. Women with a waist over 35", and 40" for men, are required to participate in weight management activities. The program is voluntary, but those choosing to not participate will be charged a $20 per month surcharge, regardless of weight.

Serious question: Do they have a similar program for smokers?
#16 Old 12-02-2011, 03:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Serious question: Do they have a similar program for smokers?

Yes. Alcohol, too, I believe.
#17 Old 12-02-2011, 07:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Does this mean an end to sumo wrestling?

In the military we use BMI based on height, weight, waist, and neck measurements. Waist measurement alone seems unfair.

"I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine." Bruce Lee.

"On a large enough time line, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero." Chuck Palahniuk (Fight Club)

#18 Old 12-02-2011, 07:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Is the waist the measurement around the bellybutton area? From the video it kinda looked like they were measuring at hip height. My waist measurement is 30" and I wear small and extra small sizes. The stretch of only 5" to overweight seems crazy, but like stated before, the Japanese are pretty small people.
#19 Old 12-02-2011, 07:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsnip View Post

Can you give some details on this requirement? I'm curious.
#20 Old 12-02-2011, 08:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad888 View Post

Does this mean an end to sumo wrestling?

In the military we use BMI based on height, weight, waist, and neck measurements. Waist measurement alone seems unfair.

I remember Army friends trying to exercise their wrists so they got bigger because if you have bigger wrists you're allowed a bigger waist size or something.

I remember it didn't work either, how does one beef up their wrists? They're girls anyway, so the muscle gain probably isn't the easiest way to do things.

/OT
#21 Old 12-02-2011, 09:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I remember it didn't work either, how does one beef up their wrists?

Grip training.

"Hell exists not to punish sinners, but to ensure that nobody sins in the first place."
#22 Old 12-02-2011, 09:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Big fan of grip training, highly underrated But I'll stop before I hijack this and turn it into a training thread.

"I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine." Bruce Lee.

"On a large enough time line, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero." Chuck Palahniuk (Fight Club)

#23 Old 12-02-2011, 09:54 PM
Banned

Quote:

Big fan of grip training, highly underrated But I'll stop before I hijack this and turn it into a training thread.

You should start a training thread. I was intrigued by your earlier comments on an exercise regimen using nothing but a loaded pack, or something like that.
#24 Old 12-02-2011, 10:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

We do that for climbing.

"If you are lonely when you're alone, you are in bad company."
Jean-Paul Sartre
#25 Old 12-02-2011, 11:17 PM
Joe
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamacat View Post

I'm not Japanese - but I'm 5'0", 170 pounds, waist 35" - and at least 75% of the people I see in a given day are fatter than me, some two or three times my circumference. That said, I want desperately to lose weight, I've been on every diet there is over the past 20 years and the result is I'm 50 pounds heavier than I started.

I don't mean to be cruel or judgmental, but my calculations using your height and weight indicate a BMI of 33.2.

My calculations using your height and waist measurement indicate a WHtR of 0.58.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waist-to-height_ratio
#26 Old 12-02-2011, 11:32 PM
Joe
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I remember Army friends trying to exercise their wrists so they got bigger because if you have bigger wrists you're allowed a bigger waist size or something.

I remember it didn't work either, how does one beef up their wrists? They're girls anyway, so the muscle gain probably isn't the easiest way to do things.

/OT

The wrist measurements are supposed to be taken around the largest, i.e., the "boney-est" part of the wrist. The point of the measurement is to distinguish "large boned" or "large framed" people from others. If the wrists could be made bigger through exercise, this would defeat the purpose of the measurement, which is to find "large boned/large framed" people.

Quote:
BMI also does not account for body frame size; A person may have a small frame and be carrying too much excess fat, but their BMI reflects that they are "healthy". Conversely, a large framed individual may be quite healthy with a fairly low body fat percentage, but be classified as "overweight" by BMI. Accurate frame size calculators use several measurements (wrist circumference, elbow width, neck circumference and others) to determine what category an individual falls into for a given height. The standard is to use frame size in conjunction with ideal height/weight charts and add roughly 10% for a large frame or subtract roughly 10% for a smaller frame. For example, a chart may say the ideal weight for a man 5'10" (178 cm) is 165 pounds (75 kg). But if that man has a slender build (small frame), he may be overweight at 165 pounds (75 kg) and should reduce by 10%, to roughly 150 pounds (68 kg). In the reverse, the man with a larger frame and more solid build can be quite healthy at 180 pounds (82 kg).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_ma...d_shortcomings
#27 Old 12-03-2011, 12:05 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhanger View Post

You should start a training thread. I was intrigued by your earlier comments on an exercise regimen using nothing but a loaded pack, or something like that.

Sure why not, here's a little blurb Might build on it if anyone shows interest.
https://www.veggieboards.com/newvb/sh...37#post3050337

#28 Old 12-03-2011, 12:39 AM
Banned

Quote:

Sure why not, here's a little blurb Might build on it if anyone shows interest.
https://www.veggieboards.com/newvb/sh...37#post3050337

great stuff. I think you should start thread on in home/hotel room/field fitness regimes where people can discuss particulars. There are a lot of people interested here and everywhere.
#29 Old 12-03-2011, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post

I don't mean to be cruel or judgmental, but my calculations using your height and weight indicate a BMI of 33.2.

My calculations using your height and waist measurement indicate a WHtR of 0.58.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waist-to-height_ratio

I don't think you are cruel or judgmental at all - I never denied I'm seriously obese. Just saying lots of folks are fatter than me (and we all need to do something about ourselves). I'm sure if I hadn't 'been on a diet' all these years I'd weight much more - most people on both sides of my family are 300 pounds or more at my height and age (in fact they call me a 'stick insect' and think I'm unhealthily skinny!)
#30 Old 12-03-2011, 04:37 PM

Trying to imagine this scheme working in England. To get a decent result you'd probably need to apply similar rules for people on job-seekers.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page