What do you think of the Penn State scandal...? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-14-2011, 12:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Thread title says it all... what do you think of all this?

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...7AB0OW20111113

Quote:
The case has drawn comparisons to the child abuse scandals that rocked the Catholic Church, whose top officials are also accused of covering up child abuse over decades.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-14-2011, 12:28 PM
Veggie Regular

yeah, sports fans really don't like to see their idols trashed. they protect their own.

The Big Bad.
#3 Old 11-14-2011, 12:30 PM
Veggie Regular

This is what bothers me most... college football trumped children's rights...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-14-2011, 12:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger View Post

is it surprising?

The Big Bad.
#5 Old 11-14-2011, 12:36 PM
Veggie Regular

It's disgusting.
#6 Old 11-14-2011, 04:06 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm appalled and sickened by how many people failed to do the decent human thing. I'm especially appalled by the one assistant coach who walked in on Sandusky raping a twelve-year-old and did not try to stop him or call the police. Perhaps you could explain this by saying that he was in shock, and in the heat of the moment, he didn't know what to do. Okay, fine. Why did he rest when nothing was done about the situation? How could he continue working with Sandusky, knowing that Sandusky is probably still doing this, and keep quiet about it. It makes me sick to my stomach.
#7 Old 11-14-2011, 04:09 PM
Veggie Regular

It's horrible.

And this is coming from a PSU grad. Then again, I never went to a single game... Not a big sports guy.
#8 Old 11-14-2011, 04:53 PM
Veggie Regular

It is really about people not having the courage to do what is right.
#9 Old 11-14-2011, 04:56 PM
Veggie Regular

More proof that humans suck.
#10 Old 11-14-2011, 05:03 PM
Banned

deleted
#11 Old 11-14-2011, 05:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savannah View Post

It is really about people not having the courage to do what is right.

+1
#12 Old 11-14-2011, 05:11 PM
Veggie Regular

I always wonder if it's the case of a supreme moral failure or the case of an entirely average moral response. What I mean is, are these bad people or are they normal people? There's a lot of people who would have done the right thing, but what does "a lot" mean? Two out of ten? Three out of ten?

I'm also disappointed at the media's explanation of the case. If you want to know what really happened you can read the grand jury presentment here:
http://www.collegian.psu.edu/archive...esentment.aspx
#13 Old 11-14-2011, 07:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Yes, that is a very disturbing read to say the least. Most of the focus right now seems to be on the one incident, but there were many such incidents that were witnessed by so many different people. How could anybody witness a 50 something year-old man with a naked ten year-old boy pinned up against a shower wall, having anal sex with him, and not immediately take some sort of action? At the very least why didn't he try to get the boy away from him?

Quote:
As the graduate assistant entered the locker room doors, he was surprised to find the lights and showers on. He then heard rhythmic, slapping sounds. He believed the sounds to be those of sexual activity. As the graduate assistant put the sneakers in his locker, he looked into the shower. He saw a naked boy, Victim 2, whose age he estimated to be ten years old, with his hands up against the wall, being subjected to anal intercourse by a naked Sandusky.

http://www.freep.com/assets/freep/pdf/C4181508116.PDF
#14 Old 11-14-2011, 09:05 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

Yup, it's horrifying. As always, Jon Stewart summed up my feelings better than I could:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/1...n_1087985.html

Quote:
"I get that it's probably hard for you to believe that this guy you think is infallible, and this program you think is sacred, could hide such heinous activities, but there is some precedent for that," he said, before a photo of the Roman Catholic Church was shown on the screen. "Yeah, and just like with the Catholic Church, no one is trying to take away your religion, which in this case is football. They're just trying to bring some accountability to a pope, and some of his cardinals, who f***ed up."

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#15 Old 11-14-2011, 10:39 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

The press coverage is abysmal, I agree. That "graduate assistant" they keep referring to without a name is presently a high-level coaching assistant at Penn State, MIKE MCQUEARY, on administrative leave bc of death threats. He is an absolute zero. He was a 28-year old, 6'5" ex-starting quarterback who did not stop a 60-year old from raping a little boy. Unbelievable.
#16 Old 11-15-2011, 12:56 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post

He was a 28-year old, 6'5" ex-starting quarterback who did not stop a 60-year old from raping a little boy.

And according to his own testimony, both Sandusky and the boy saw him there. That poor kid... probably thought he was saved. Imagine how he must have felt when McQueary simply turned and walked away.
#17 Old 11-15-2011, 01:10 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

And according to his own testimony, both Sandusky and the boy saw him there. That poor kid... probably thought he was saved. Imagine how he must have felt when McQueary simply turned and walked away.

McQueary freaked out, as many would and immediately called his father, who advised him to leave the building. The next morning he met with Paterno and "seemed very upset". A 28 year old calling his father in that situation, seems immature, not evil.
His father gave him bad advice and he followed it.
#18 Old 11-15-2011, 01:32 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by delicioso View Post

McQueary freaked out, as many would and immediately called his father, who advised him to leave the building. The next morning he met with Paterno and "seemed very upset". A 28 year old calling his father in that situation, seems immature, not evil.
His father gave him bad advice and he followed it.

Yes, I am sure many people would freak out in that situation. But leaving that child there being raped by an old man is evil. Poor little McQueary, I'm sure the child was "very upset" the next day, too. And McQueary's father, an MD (!) and therefore a mandatory reporter for child abuse, is also complicit in this. If someone called me to tell me this, I would say, go stop him! Go get the boy and wrap him in a towel and get him away from there! Call 911! Scream STOP IT YOU SICK ****!
#19 Old 11-15-2011, 01:38 AM
Veggie Regular

Part of his freaking out was leaving. We don't know everything about the guy, but he was raised by a father who would tell him to leave in that situation. I think a lot of twenty somethings would follow a parent's advice. I think others above him are much more responsible for what happened.
#20 Old 11-15-2011, 01:49 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:

Part of his freaking out was leaving. We don't know everything about the guy, but he was raised by a father who would tell him to leave in that situation. I think a lot of twenty somethings would follow a parent's advice. I think others above him are much more responsible for what happened.

How long is a 28-year old grown-ass man allowed to "freak out" before he can help someone in need? OK, the next day he was "able" to tell the head coach. Did he try to find out the child's identity so he could get some help? Did he call the rapist and tell him to stay out of the locker rooms and away from kids? Did he call the police? No, none of these things, so I guess he was still freaking out after nine years.

He's a poor excuse and should be fired from his coaching duties stat. He is cooperating with authorities, so I guess they won't be charging him, but I think he is as guilty as anyone, except the actual perpetrator.

Ugh, I just hate how sick these things make me feel. I used to work with abused kids and am still affected.
#21 Old 11-15-2011, 02:37 AM
Veggie Regular

Just because he was 28 does not mean that he was mature enough to handle what happened. Calling his father, shows immaturity, yet I do think that he tried to do the right thing, as opposed to some above him who had a lot more power.

It's possible he was molested or has some other personal issue that made him react the way that he did.
#22 Old 11-15-2011, 04:13 AM
Veggie Regular

Nobody who witnesses a rape needs to be told that the correct course of action is to call the police. You don't call your daddy for advice while a ten year-old boy is being sodomized in the shower. The only possible reason for McQueary calling his father instead of the police, is that he was more worried about the repercussions to himself and a close family friend, than in getting that boy the hell out of harm's way. Thanks to McQueary, the identity of the boy is still unknown to everyone but Sandusky. We may never know what happened to him afterwards or if he ever got help from anybody. Sorry, but McQueary's not getting a free pass from me.
#23 Old 11-15-2011, 06:48 AM
Veggie Regular

I found the whole thing to be horrible and disturbing, yet at the same time, it was very telling about people's tendency to look the other way for the sake of the status quo. It was troubling, made me feel sick, and really lowered my faith in humanity's ability to change for the better.

"A-yup. Ya wasted yer life, son"

- Old Man
#24 Old 11-15-2011, 11:23 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Yes, that is a very disturbing read to say the least. Most of the focus right now seems to be on the one incident, but there were many such incidents that were witnessed by so many different people. How could anybody witness a 50 something year-old man with a naked ten year-old boy pinned up against a shower wall, having anal sex with him, and not immediately take some sort of action? At the very least why didn't he try to get the boy away from him?

Digger, I've read the 23-page indictment, and it seems there was only one other incident in those showers witnessed by anyone. That was a janitor, who told other janitors about it, but didn't report it back to police, college security, or anyone in the athletic department. Once in 1998, a mother was concerned when her son came home with wet hair. After questioning her son closely about what all happened she called the cops. There was a phone conversation monitored by cops between the boy's mother and Sandusky, where he does admit to some physical contact with the boy in the shower. The DA did not bring charges against him for it. Neither of those incidents involved a cover-up by the football organization or the university president; they were never told about one, and in the other one the police knew before the college did.

One thing I haven't read is whether that victim was exhibiting distress at the time McQueary came in and saw them. I have no doubt the poor kid was in distress, but if he'd been screaming "Get off me, you perv!" or crying, or flailing around trying to get away, McQueary's reaction might have been different. It probably would have seemed more like an emergency that calls for immediately pulling the man off and maybe hitting him in the face. But as it was, if McQueary had done that, the child might well have backed up Sandusky, not McQueary, at the police station. McQueary would then have been not just fired, but up on charges himself for assault.
#25 Old 11-16-2011, 07:47 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Just because he was 28 does not mean that he was mature enough to handle what happened. Calling his father, shows immaturity, yet I do think that he tried to do the right thing, as opposed to some above him who had a lot more power.

Those persons above him did not have the opportunity to stop the rape right there on the spot, have Sandusky hauled away in handcuffs, and get that poor child the medical attention that he needed. And I can assure you, he did need medical attention.

Consider McQueary's own sworn testimony for a moment, and I know it's difficult, but just think about this.

What sort of intensity of sex are you having when you are making loud 'rhythmic slapping' noises that can be heard from across a large locker room and above the noise of the showers? This isn't a kid who was being touched inappropriately, which is heinous enough. This is a little boy who was pushed up against a shower wall having his ass ripped apart with force by a hulking 58 year-old man.

I'm sorry to be so graphic but I just can't seem to get the terrible image out of my mind of what that boy went through. Yes, this is personal for me, but that doesn't make my point of view any less valid.

Who can walk away from that scene without calling the police immediately? And then proceed to participate in covering it up for the next nine years? How can someone go on to attend charity events with Sandusky, knowing what you witnessed with your own eyes, and then watch him bring more little boys onto campus, knowing what is most likely going on with them also?

Of all the players in this tragedy, only one had the ability to put an end to it right then and there. If not that very evening, at least in the days that followed. I understand that he may have been traumatized by what he saw that night, but ultimately he chose to let it slide. If not for being subpoenaed for his testimony, he would still to this day be silent about the rape he witnessed.

And that's why I simply will not excuse McQueary's behavior.
#26 Old 11-16-2011, 08:56 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Mcqueary said in an email today that he did stop the rape, not physically, but he did stop it. thank goodness.
#27 Old 11-16-2011, 08:59 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post

Mcqueary said in an email today that he did stop the rape, not physically, but he did stop it. thank goodness.

Which we can assume means that when Sandusky saw that McQueary was seeing the act, he stopped for the time being while McQueary called his dad?
#28 Old 11-16-2011, 09:34 AM
Veggie Regular

McQueary is hamstrung now as to what he's allowed to say in public, because he is a Grand Jury witness. His father says McQueary is very anxious to get the full story out, and very frustrated that right now he can't. Digger, maybe your assumptions are exactly right, maybe not. It should come out before too much longer, whatever the story is.
#29 Old 11-16-2011, 09:36 AM
Veggie Regular

I realize that Joan and I thank you for your contributions....
#30 Old 11-16-2011, 10:26 AM
Banned

deleted

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page