Duggars expecting 20th child... - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-09-2011, 10:49 AM
Veggie Regular

I know the Duggars are a controversial topic on this forum but with them recently announcing their 20th child I felt it was worth starting a new thread to discuss the topic and hopefully bring new points of view to the subject.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/1...n_1081530.html

Quote:
Due in April, 45-year-old Michelle Duggar knows about the complications her age may place on her pregnancy, that's why she's putting in a good hour each day on the elliptical she was given for her birthday. "I'm really in better shape than I've been in 20 years," she said.

So could this be the last child for the big family? "I don't know how it happened," Jim Bob joked. "We didn't want to stop at an odd number."

"We are so excited," Michelle said. "I was not thinking that God would give us another one, and we are just so grateful."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-09-2011, 10:51 AM
Veggie Regular

gotta keep that quiver full. idiots.

The Big Bad.
#3 Old 11-09-2011, 10:52 AM
Veggie Regular

Oh yea! I'm sooo happy for them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-09-2011, 11:28 AM
Veggie Regular

I hate that Jim Bob is seen by some as being some kind of 'stud' for siring 20 children. It's not like it takes any special consideration...
#5 Old 11-09-2011, 11:31 AM
Veggie Regular

Hasn't that woman's uterus fallen out of her yet?

"you know, nowhere in the bible does it say that jesus was not a raptor"

www.animal-adoptions.org

#6 Old 11-09-2011, 11:32 AM
Veggie Regular

If you were a Dugger you could be called Dig Dug.
#7 Old 11-09-2011, 11:42 AM
Veggie Regular

LoL... that used to be my favorite arcade game.
#8 Old 11-09-2011, 11:49 AM
Veggie Regular

I think I'm more impressed that with all their current kids they manage to find the energy/opportunity for 'romance time' than I am with them having yet another kid. Whatever floats their boat, I guess. I just wish the media would stop zeroing in on families like these every time another baby is announced, it really doesn't seem like it should be such important news.

"[-]But caging them, killing them, eating them was unthinkable. We were creatures of the same world."
-Animorphs, #18

#9 Old 11-09-2011, 12:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie View Post

If you were a Dugger you could be called Dig Dug.

The Big Bad.
#10 Old 11-09-2011, 12:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bright Bird View Post

I think I'm more impressed that with all their current kids they manage to find the energy/opportunity for 'romance time' than I am with them having yet another kid. Whatever floats their boat, I guess. I just wish the media would stop zeroing in on families like these every time another baby is announced, it really doesn't seem like it should be such important news.

Agreed, the Kardashian family is MUCH more important. Anyone been keeping up with them lately??

"you know, nowhere in the bible does it say that jesus was not a raptor"

www.animal-adoptions.org

#11 Old 11-09-2011, 12:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post

Agreed, the Kardashian family is MUCH more important. Anyone been keeping up with them lately??

LOL...

Is Bruce Jenner a woman yet?

#12 Old 11-09-2011, 12:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I think I'm more impressed that with all their current kids they manage to find the energy/opportunity for 'romance time' than I am with them having yet another kid.

I think it's about as "romantic" as when rabbits hump.

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#13 Old 11-09-2011, 12:31 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm not sure how I feel about this. From what I've heard, they aren't on any welfare (which surprises me, considering HOW many kids they have), but with the TV show they don't need to be. I'm wondering if they're going to just keep popping out kids until the media loses interest in them?

Honestly I don't think it's healthy for Michelle OR the baby, but I'm not going to stop her from having kids.

Did you write the book of love, and do you have faith in God above,
If the Bible tells you so? Do you believe in rock Ân roll,
Can music save your mortal soul, And can you teach me how to dance real slow?
#14 Old 11-09-2011, 12:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilBigBug View Post

I'm not sure how I feel about this. From what I've heard, they aren't on any welfare (which surprises me, considering HOW many kids they have), but with the TV show they don't need to be. I'm wondering if they're going to just keep popping out kids until the media loses interest in them?

Honestly I don't think it's healthy for Michelle OR the baby, but I'm not going to stop her from having kids.

Not on welfare, but they do get a crap pile of personal exemptions and a $1,000 child tax credit for every child under the age of 17. But whatever, free country which includes the freedom to be selfish and IMO irresponsible.
#15 Old 11-09-2011, 12:41 PM
Veggie Regular

I hadn't even thought of the tax stuff, good point.

#16 Old 11-09-2011, 12:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I'm not going to stop her from having kids.

I think this is good. otherwise, we all may be accomplices.

The Big Bad.
#17 Old 11-09-2011, 12:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Right now, I just don't have the energy (plus it would come as hypocritical coming from a pregnant woman).

#18 Old 11-09-2011, 12:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Right now, I just don't have the energy (plus it would come as hypocritical coming from a pregnant woman).

yes, rest. plus, that MAY make your child an accomplice as well. And that's no way to exit the womb. i can't recall having seen a newborn in cuffs.

The Big Bad.
#19 Old 11-09-2011, 01:10 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

I think I'm more impressed that with all their current kids they manage to find the energy/opportunity for 'romance time' than I am with them having yet another kid.

That's easy, their older kids raise their younger kids, so they don't have to parent at all.
#20 Old 11-09-2011, 01:11 PM
Super Moderator

This news only truly bothers me because her last child had health issues. Why risk putting another child through that? Very selfish.
#21 Old 11-09-2011, 01:12 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm not trying to be mean or graphic at this point, but how does this woman even hold a child in her womb at this point?

Oh... that's right... God wills it.
#22 Old 11-09-2011, 01:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

This news only truly bothers me because her last child had health issues. Why risk putting another child through that? Very selfish.

i think that there's a laundry list of selfishness here. They obviously have no love of lamp.

The Big Bad.
#23 Old 11-09-2011, 01:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

That's easy, their older kids raise their younger kids, so they don't have to parent at all.

Yep, this is what happened in my grandmother's family (keep in mind she was born on a farm in the middle of nowhere in 1910 and was 5th to youngest). They had 17 kids though not all lived to adulthood. Each of the older kids had a younger kid "assigned" to them and the were the defacto parent for their younger sibling.

Different times.
#24 Old 11-09-2011, 01:22 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger View Post

I'm not trying to be mean or graphic at this point, but how does this woman even hold a child in her womb at this point?

Oh... that's right... God wills it.

I've thought the same thing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by unovegan View Post

i think that there's a laundry list of selfishness here. They obviously have no love of lamp.

Obviously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forster View Post

Yep, this is what happened in my grandmother's family (keep in mind she was born on a farm in the middle of nowhere in 1910 and was 5th to youngest). They had 17 kids though not all lived to adulthood. Each of the older kids had a younger kid "assigned" to them and the were the defacto parent for their younger sibling.

Different times.

When birth control wasn't around, I can actually understand why a married couple would have lots of children. Not in this day and age though, it's so easy to buy condoms or get an IUD. My Grandpa was one of 16 children. One died at a month old, the others survived and live(d) long lives. They lived on a farm too. I think it's cool teaching kids responsibility, but not forcing them to raise their siblings.
#25 Old 11-09-2011, 01:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

When birth control wasn't around, I can actually understand why a married couple would have lots of children. Not in this day and age though, it's so easy to buy condoms or get an IUD. My Grandpa was one of 16 children. One died at a month old, the others survived and live(d) long lives. They lived on a farm too. I think it's cool teaching kids responsibility, but not forcing them to raise their siblings.

Oh I agree on the birth control thingy. I got a vasectomy 19 years ago (I was 26) as I didn't want the Mrs. to have to be on birth control for decades. One of the best things I ever did.

As far as the older siblings "raising" their younger ones, absolutely no choice. It had to be done for survival. Think about it, no running water, no power and you had to raise 100% of your food. It really was work dusk till dawn for everyone. North central North Dakota at the turn of the century was a completely different world.
#26 Old 11-09-2011, 01:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Obviously.

The Big Bad.
#27 Old 11-09-2011, 01:35 PM
Veggie Regular

If something is physically possible, someone out there is doing it. Someone lied about her age at a fertility clinic and had a baby at 72, Someone else out there has had as many abortions as Mrs. Duggar has carried pregnancies to term. Someone else had six embryos implanted at once, two of which split in the womb, and took eight embryos to term. The life of the Duggars is one more way that reproductive freedom plays out, and I'm pretty much for reproductive freedom. If these people are living a Quiverfull lifestyle, it does disturb me that their example is encouraging others to do the same. The others not having the motel-sized home, the dedicated staff or the steady television gig, but still basically leaving it up to the husband to decide how many children they will be sending out into the world.

I come from a large family myself, and there were times when it seemed that the more children there were, the less difference it made to add one more to the mix. It's hard to imagine since I really dragged myself through both my own pregnancies, but to Mrs. Duggar, being pregnant is probably what feels normal. I guess having a kid every year and a half gives their television show its best chance of being renewed each season. I guess her older daughters feel like mothers already, because I can practically guarantee that the younger Duggar children spend more time in the care of the older ones than they do with their parents.
#28 Old 11-09-2011, 01:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I hadn't even thought of the tax stuff, good point.

Oh I have. But when you don't have kids and so don't get all kinds of nice exemptions, you think about it.

I read elsewhere they claimed their home as a church and so don't pay property taxes. Not sure at all if that's true but if it is, it sucks.

I just hope there are a couple "rebels" out of all those kids. Would serve ma and pa right.
#29 Old 11-09-2011, 01:46 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forster View Post

Oh I agree on the birth control thingy. I got a vasectomy 19 years ago (I was 26) as I didn't want the Mrs. to have to be on birth control for decades. One of the best things I ever did.

As far as the older siblings "raising" their younger ones, absolutely no choice. It had to be done for survival. Think about it, no running water, no power and you had to raise 100% of your food. It really was work dusk till dawn for everyone. North central North Dakota at the turn of the century was a completely different world.

My Dad got one too, after I was born. They had to try 4 times to get it right and once they finally did, they stopped I want my husband to get one after we're done having kids (future husband, future kids), hormonal BC forms suck, in my experience.

Back then, yes, I understand. It was a survival thing. Not these days, poor kids. I'm sure every Duggar girl will be popping out a million children when they get married. This is going to sound nuts, but I'm sure the family loves being so big at times. I loved having 3 siblings (for the most part), we would play with each other and for the most part got along. They seem very stable emotionally.
#30 Old 11-09-2011, 01:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanksgiving Dinner must be fun at their house.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page