Support Your Local Police State? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-02-2011, 04:49 PM
Veggie Regular

I have known a lot of policemen growing up in Cape May; some were friends of my dad that came to know him when he was an A.D.A. or were neighbors or customers at places I worked, others I knew from hanging out at the beaches. I personally have never had any conflicts with police officers. However, there is a body of evidence out there that is rather damning in regards to the culture of the New York City police department and others in the nation. Unfortunately, in criminal investigations policemen often believe they need to bend the truth by 'testilying' to make sure that a person they just KNOW to be guilty gets put behind bars. There have been widespread reports of evidence planting and worse. See link: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/02/ny...vidence&st=cse

According to my dad and other experienced attorneys I've spoken with, when police officers are accused of wrongdoing or even when they get into a fender bender with their patrol cars, their fellow officers will go out of their way to support them and even will perjure themselves to keep their fellow cops out of even the most minor trouble. A few days ago a massive demonstration was held by police officers at the Bronx Courthouse in NYC because fellow officers were being arraigned on corruption and misconduct charges. The officers at the courthouse behaved like thugs, trying to intimidate the press when they attempted to take photographs or otherwise cover the story. See article at this link: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/29/ny...the-bronx.html

Then today, I read an article about a college student, who spent about 36 hours under arrest basically because she didn't have a drivers license or other identification with her when she and a friend were walking around a NYC park after it was "closed". This is something that could easily happen to me, as I often go about without "my papers". See article at link:http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/02/ny...of-crimes.html

Being involved with helping to defend Occupy Wall Street protesters in NYC has brought me face to face with some ugly police tactics there. Over the last few years there have been many instances reported in the media where it seems to me that police officers have acted beyond their authority, trampling the rights of ordinary citizens. Members of minority groups fare even worse.

What is it going to take to 1) get people to demand a change in the culture of police departments that excuses abusive and illegal behavior by fellow officers, and 2) get police departments to require that their officers treat the members of the public with whom they come in contact with dignity and respect for their rights as citizens?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-03-2011, 10:07 AM

Excellent questions all. Who watches the watchers, indeed?
#3 Old 11-03-2011, 10:35 AM
Veggie Regular

Believe it or not, that type of thing has come up a lot recently in my town that you've probably never even heard of - Boynton Beach, Florida. I think they're up to 5 corruption cases in the last 2 years or something like that. Luckily, the media is shining a spotlight on it, and the people in charge are taking it seriously. And this is why freedom of the press and freedom of speech are absolutely essential for any free society.

--Fromper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-03-2011, 06:26 PM
Veggie Regular

It's going to take de-militarization of LE. That's about all.

Keep on freepin' on

#5 Old 11-05-2011, 09:55 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savannah View Post

I have known a lot of policemen growing up in Cape May; some were friends of my dad that came to know him when he was an A.D.A. or were neighbors or customers at places I worked, others I knew from hanging out at the beaches. I personally have never had any conflicts with police officers. However, there is a body of evidence out there that is rather damning in regards to the culture of the New York City police department and others in the nation. Unfortunately, in criminal investigations policemen often believe they need to bend the truth by 'testilying' to make sure that a person they just KNOW to be guilty gets put behind bars. There have been widespread reports of evidence planting and worse. See link: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/02/ny...vidence&st=cse

According to my dad and other experienced attorneys I've spoken with, when police officers are accused of wrongdoing or even when they get into a fender bender with their patrol cars, their fellow officers will go out of their way to support them and even will perjure themselves to keep their fellow cops out of even the most minor trouble. A few days ago a massive demonstration was held by police officers at the Bronx Courthouse in NYC because fellow officers were being arraigned on corruption and misconduct charges. The officers at the courthouse behaved like thugs, trying to intimidate the press when they attempted to take photographs or otherwise cover the story. See article at this link: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/29/ny...the-bronx.html

Then today, I read an article about a college student, who spent about 36 hours under arrest basically because she didn't have a drivers license or other identification with her when she and a friend were walking around a NYC park after it was "closed". This is something that could easily happen to me, as I often go about without "my papers". See article at link:http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/02/ny...of-crimes.html

Being involved with helping to defend Occupy Wall Street protesters in NYC has brought me face to face with some ugly police tactics there. Over the last few years there have been many instances reported in the media where it seems to me that police officers have acted beyond their authority, trampling the rights of ordinary citizens. Members of minority groups fare even worse.

What is it going to take to 1) get people to demand a change in the culture of police departments that excuses abusive and illegal behavior by fellow officers, and 2) get police departments to require that their officers treat the members of the public with whom they come in contact with dignity and respect for their rights as citizens?

I thought you were one of those people that believed in giving more authority to the Federal Gov't..... be careful what you ask for.
#6 Old 11-10-2011, 11:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savannah View Post

While there are a number of police officers who do their best to act with the best moral and ethical values they can, given the situation they are in, and given that they need to stay well-employed to live well, police misconduct and lawbreaking is deeply entrenched, and there is no easy answer to "what is it going to take" to change it.
#7 Old 11-10-2011, 11:15 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancingfire512 View Post

Excellent questions all. Who watches the watchers, indeed?

that would be IAD. a feared and hated branch of law enforcement.

The Big Bad.
#8 Old 11-11-2011, 10:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by havocjohn View Post

I thought you were one of those people that believed in giving more authority to the Federal Gov't..... be careful what you ask for.

Actually John, you're 100% wrong. I believe strongly in the Bill of Rights and individual freedom. I believe that the 4th Amendment has been practically trampled to death. I even support your 2nd Amendment right to bear arms so long as it is regulated reasonably. You apparently haven't a clue what I believe.

Good to see you btw.
#9 Old 11-11-2011, 10:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by soilman View Post

While there are a number of police officers who do their best to act with the best moral and ethical values they can, given the situation they are in, and given that they need to stay well-employed to live well, police misconduct and lawbreaking is deeply entrenched, and there is no easy answer to "what is it going to take" to change it.

I know, a rhetorical question, but, it bears asking.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page