Unpopular Opinions: Version 2.0! - Page 173 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

#5161 Old 06-30-2012, 02:50 PM

I think the "helping professions" attract people who are on a power trip.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#5162 Old 06-30-2012, 02:56 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zingypeppers View Post

What professions attract those who want to help people? tongue3.gif

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#5163 Old 06-30-2012, 03:28 PM
Banned

Quote:

I agree.

I find this to be the case for forum mods too, although VB mods are extremely tolerant (in my own experience), so tolerant, that I seldom think they're on a power-trip and aren't getting any perks from the job at all. On other forums, the power-trip is the main perk.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#5164 Old 06-30-2012, 06:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Yes and no.  Police, yes, firemen, no.  Social workers yes, nurses no.  It varies.  That's my experience anyway.

#5165 Old 07-01-2012, 08:14 PM
Veggie Regular

None of my teachers acted like they were on a power trip. Doesn't mean I liked them all, some acted like jerks at times, but I think it was motivated by anger/frustration in the moment, insecurity or the idea that they had to maintain order.

#5166 Old 07-02-2012, 01:32 AM
Veggie Regular

FRIENDS is over-rated.

#5167 Old 07-02-2012, 02:00 PM
Vegetarian

GMO food can be a very good thing and will likely be very much needed for our continued survival. How's that for unpopular opinion? 

#5168 Old 07-02-2012, 02:06 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erratus View Post

GMO food can be a very good thing and will likely be very much needed for our continued survival. How's that for unpopular opinion? 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norman_Borlaug

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#5169 Old 07-02-2012, 02:21 PM
Vegetarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norman_Borlaug

It's a very unpopular opinion where I live. Also, I am for vaccinating children. Another super un-popular opinion where I am from. 

#5170 Old 07-05-2012, 12:21 AM
Veggie Regular

You shouldn't intentionally get pregnant when you can't even afford to feed yourself and if you do you should get an abortion or give it up for adoption. Apparently this is unpopular outside of here. I understand the whole falling on hard times things, but there's that and then there's being super poor or homeless for an extended period of time and not being able to afford necessities, these people are so amazingly selfish to me, btw the women that think it's okay somehow are online all the freaking time posting on forums, internet can be free places, but you don't use it to vent about how poor you are, you use it to find a job, i'll never understand some people.

#5171 Old 07-05-2012, 09:42 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlixJ18 View Post

You shouldn't intentionally get pregnant when you can't even afford to feed yourself and if you do you should get an abortion or give it up for adoption. Apparently this is unpopular outside of here. I understand the whole falling on hard times things, but there's that and then there's being super poor or homeless for an extended period of time and not being able to afford necessities, these people are so amazingly selfish to me, btw the women that think it's okay somehow are online all the freaking time posting on forums, internet can be free places, but you don't use it to vent about how poor you are, you use it to find a job, i'll never understand some people.

Not an unpopular opinion to me. It's true... if you can't afford the necessities, you should NOT be TTC. That's cruel to the child and a slap in the face to tax payers if you're collecting welfare. I've seen it before.

#5172 Old 07-05-2012, 11:47 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlixJ18 View Post

Yes, yes, yes, a thousand times yes! I've known too many who have done this, why plan to bring another person into the world if you can't even take care of them? dizzy2.gif

#5173 Old 07-05-2012, 12:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

Not an unpopular opinion to me. It's true... if you can't afford the necessities, you should NOT be TTC. That's cruel to the child and a slap in the face to tax payers if you're collecting welfare. I've seen it before.

Well said.

#5174 Old 07-05-2012, 10:36 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

The majority of the mom/baby patients I care for get some kind of government assistance, whether it be Medicaid for the baby, WIC, food stamps, free school lunch, etc. The help they get aids them in delivering and raising healthier children. I'm not going to judge or second guess their fertility choices for legally accepting existing assistance.
#5175 Old 07-05-2012, 11:42 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't even mean people on GA, i mean people who literally aren't eating, i know some people make too much to get GA but not enough to not be poor, but you would think food would be on the top of their list of things to pay for first, before internet or phone. One woman was whinging about how she was pregnant and starving herself to feed the kids she already had and she's online talking about this and defending herself having a smart phone and being on forums all the time. If you're pregnant it's pretty easy to get WIC and really easy as well to get on medi-cal to cover pregnancy, so it's like she's not even trying, or she's exaggerating to get pity. I honestly think a lot of these people are making or made horrible decisions and their priorities are screwed up, like getting a new car or laptop when you can't afford food, or refusing to buy cheap food that they can actually afford. Like i said i totally get things change, but if you are not able to eat why the hell would you try to get pregnant.

#5176 Old 07-06-2012, 08:40 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post

The majority of the mom/baby patients I care for get some kind of government assistance, whether it be Medicaid for the baby, WIC, food stamps, free school lunch, etc. The help they get aids them in delivering and raising healthier children. I'm not going to judge or second guess their fertility choices for legally accepting existing assistance.

I'll judge them. Sure sometimes unplanned things happen and people need GA, but there is no reason to be planning kid #3 when you can't pay for kid #1 and #2 without help! "We just want to try for a girrrrlllll" or whatever stupid reason they give is not a reasonable excuse for living off the taxpayers. Using food stamps for buying a cartload of crap instead of nutritious, cheap food to feed your kids is not acceptable either. Junk food should not be able to be purchased on the taxpayer's dime. I don't buy those big, decorated cookies or premade caramel apples myself because of the cost, yet I can chip in for others to buy such things.

#5177 Old 07-08-2012, 11:57 AM
Super Moderator

This could be an ED trigger, so I'm putting it in spoilers.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

People who are always looking for a fast solution to a long term issue (weight gain) will never be successful. They will constantly do damage to their bodies, screw up their metabolism more, then wonder why they aren't the size they want to be.

#5178 Old 07-23-2012, 01:14 PM
Arrrg! Me mateys.

This thread is far over the 5,000 posts limit, so whoever is up for making the new Unpopular Opinions thread, go right ahead! smiley.gif

korrakorrakorrakorrakorra
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page