The trolley dilemma with personal investment - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-21-2011, 12:26 PM
Banned

same thing, evidently silent trolley heading down the track.
Group of 5 workers on one side, Group of two on the other.
Instead of standing and watching from the sideline, you are now in the group of two.
Who gets the train? the five, or do you sacrifice yourself and the one other person with you in favor of the five.

same thing but you and one other on one side, your furry animal of choice on the the other side. Who lives.

Im selfish, I will only promise to get the story right when talking to the reporter when all is said and done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-21-2011, 01:46 PM
Ira
Banned

i will let myself survive over everyone
#3 Old 09-21-2011, 02:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira View Post

i will let myself survive over everyone

I want to be on your side of the track
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-21-2011, 02:37 PM
Ira
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatman View Post

I want to be on your side of the track

yeah, that would help, lol
#5 Old 09-21-2011, 03:01 PM
Veggie Regular

I would organize a strike and demand safer working conditions.
#6 Old 09-21-2011, 03:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spang View Post

I would organize a strike and demand safer working conditions.

but lets pretend for a moment you had a real job. You really could not organize that strike now could you?
#7 Old 09-21-2011, 03:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

but lets pretend for a moment you had a real job. You really could not organize that strike now could you?

The Transport Workers Union of America is real, and so are its members whom have real jobs.
#8 Old 09-21-2011, 04:01 PM
Veggie Regular

I would likely choose myself as well if it's a stranger on the other side.
#9 Old 09-21-2011, 04:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spang View Post

The Transport Workers Union of America is real, and so are its members whom have real jobs.

at inflated pay rates.
Its the reason so many companies leave the states.
Do you realize what would happen to even fast food places if unions moved in? someone would end up after a certain time, making 40 bucks an hour to ask if you want fries with that order.
#10 Old 09-21-2011, 04:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

at inflated pay rates.

Decent wages.
#11 Old 09-21-2011, 04:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Push the other person with me off and let it hit me, though if i know it's coming, we could just both move out of the way obviously, anyway i don't value life very much, if i can sacrifice myself to let other people live that probably want to live, then i would, even now i figure it would make more sense for me to be dead, my organs could help a lot of people.
#12 Old 09-21-2011, 04:31 PM
Banned

Great post, wish I could claim the same, but the reality is that unless the others are children, or my family members,, Im not the one.

but still your solution would not work in the situation since you are pulling a lever to decide the fate of one group over the other.

but still, hats off to you.
#13 Old 09-21-2011, 04:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Remember though i've never had a near death experience or anything like this, what i think i would do could be totally different than what i really would. Just like i thought if something scares me i'd run away screaming, when my sister threw something that was on fire i stayed calm and used the fire extinguisher while my sister screamed and ran away lol i was surprised i didn't freak out too.
#14 Old 09-21-2011, 05:35 PM
Veggie Regular

I'll take a meaningful sacrifice over a lifetime of knowing that I took the selfish route. I've got life insurance so I'm financially ready, and the first thing I do every morning when I wake up is make sure I'm psychologically ready as well. We could go at any time and, though I do love life, I believe that social responsibility should come first. We all have our roles to play, and I would not be in line with my dharma, as a soldier, if I did anything other than sacrifice myself in such a situation. As humans, we depend on others more so than any other species I can think of (though ants probably come close).

"Meditation on inevitable death should be performed daily. Every day when one's body and mind are at peace, one should meditate on being ripped apart by arrows, rifles, spears, and swords. Being carried away by surging waves, being thrown into the midst of a great fire, being struck by lightning, being shaken to death by a great earthquake, falling from thousand foot cliffs, dying of disease, or committing seppuku at the death of one's master. Every day without fail, one should consider himself as dead." Hagakure (or Ghost Dog for those of you who prefer cheesy movies to actual literature )

"I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine." Bruce Lee.

"On a large enough time line, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero." Chuck Palahniuk (Fight Club)

#15 Old 09-21-2011, 06:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad888 View Post

I'll take a meaningful sacrifice over a lifetime of knowing that I took the selfish route. I've got life insurance so I'm financially ready, and the first thing I do every morning when I wake up is make sure I'm psychologically ready as well. We could go at any time and, though I do love life, I believe that social responsibility should come first. We all have our roles to play, and I would not be in line with my dharma, as a soldier, if I did anything other than sacrifice myself in such a situation. As humans, we depend on others more so than any other species I can think of (though ants probably come close).

"Meditation on inevitable death should be performed daily. Every day when one's body and mind are at peace, one should meditate on being ripped apart by arrows, rifles, spears, and swords. Being carried away by surging waves, being thrown into the midst of a great fire, being struck by lightning, being shaken to death by a great earthquake, falling from thousand foot cliffs, dying of disease, or committing seppuku at the death of one's master. Every day without fail, one should consider himself as dead." Hagakure (or Ghost Dog for those of you who prefer cheesy movies to actual literature )

This may just be the most well thought out and most meaningful response of any between the two threads.
#16 Old 09-23-2011, 10:18 AM
Veggie Regular

I would save myself. I'm just being honest about my natural instinct of self-preservation.

I was driving a car once and another car moved into my lane without warning and we had an accident. Well, in that instant before we hit, I swerved the car in a manner than meant my side of the car received less of an impact. The passenger side hit harder. My best friend was sitting there. Luckily, it was a minor accident and she wasn't hurt very bad, but that was very eye-opening for me. We were very good friends and I loved her tremendously. In fact, in other situations where I had more time to think and less time to just react instinctually I did do things that literally saved her life. But when it's a split-second decision, I save myself.

Next topic: there was some commenting about unions earlier. I think Fatman should visit Vegas and see how our unions operate. They are very functional.
#17 Old 09-23-2011, 11:20 AM
Veggie Regular

Part of me wishes I was more nobler.

Were it I or a complete stranger (human or other animal), I'd save myself. Even moreso if it were me and another versus three others. I would not feel right making a "noble choice" for the other person who's stuck with me. In that case, it might even be selfish to put my own noble ideals over the life of the other person who's strapped to me.

But I also do not take into consideration numbers, either. If I had to choose between saving two strangers or saving fifty, I'm really not sure who I'd chose. I'm not really comfortable with saying that fifty lives are somehow worth more than two.

Probably the only case in which I wouldn't save myself would be if I had to chose whether I died or someone I cared for died. I'd sacrifice myself for any of my family and friends. But that would be the only case.

Like I said, part of me wishes I were more noble.

There isn't enough love in the Universe....
#18 Old 09-23-2011, 05:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElaineV View Post

Next topic: there was some commenting about unions earlier. I think Fatman should visit Vegas and see how our unions operate. They are very functional.

I honestly loved working at Mandalay Bay. And yes, our union was ridiculously powerful. We had all sorts of benefits and protection, including full salary while deployed (in other words a double paycheck, one from the Army and one from Mandalay Bay), which made it a very popular company for National Guardsmen and Reservists, and MGM Resorts (which owns Mandalay Bay) rakes in billions. Though there were certainly disadvantages (seniority was worth way more than hard work, which made it hard to advanced based on performance, and sometimes we were so protected that even those who really did need to get fired were way too well protected and they knew it), all in all it was a good thing.

"I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine." Bruce Lee.

"On a large enough time line, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero." Chuck Palahniuk (Fight Club)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page