North Carolina sued for "Choose Life" license plate while denying pro-choice one - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-12-2011, 05:18 PM
Arrrg! Me mateys.

http://www.courthousenews.com/2011/09/12/39696.htm
http://www.reddit.com/r/politics/com...lowing_choose/

While having a license plate that says "choose life" is admitting there is a choice in the matter, after turning down 6 proposals that said things like "Respect Choice" or "Trust Women; Respect Choice", they are pretty much saying that for placing political ideas on license places, pro-life is the only option.

A number of states have a "choose life" license plate option, but none of them have a pro-choice. Whether or not anyone came up with design proposals or not in those states, I do not know.

korrakorrakorrakorrakorra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-13-2011, 12:21 PM
Veggie Regular

I agree with the law suit. Either don't allow political speech on license plates, or allow ALL political speech (my preference). Either way, be fair and consistent.

--Fromper
#3 Old 09-13-2011, 12:31 PM
Veggie Regular

I hate those stupid "Choose Life" plates. When I see them it infuriates me.

I have a "Spay Neuter" special plate (proceeds from special plate fees go to the MA Animal coalition which runs low cost spay/neuter clinics) and I feel like my plate is giving to opposite message! Kitten abortions everywhere!!

"you know, nowhere in the bible does it say that jesus was not a raptor"

www.animal-adoptions.org

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-13-2011, 12:50 PM
Veggie Regular

It's annoying enough seeing all the stickers people have of that crap, i see it all the time, a lot worse ones, that basically say you are not a good woman if you don't keep the fetus, and it pisses me off, glad people are fighting back at this thing.
#5 Old 09-13-2011, 12:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fromper View Post

I agree with the law suit. Either don't allow political speech on license plates, or allow ALL political speech (my preference). Either way, be fair and consistent.

--Fromper

Indeed.

"I am a woman of science. At least that's what my horoscope said."
#6 Old 09-13-2011, 01:31 PM
Veggie Regular

I seen a few choose life plates, I like the choose life statement better then pro life but, I am more of pro choicer that chooses life, I think that license plates should get back to basics and then we don't have to offend no one.
#7 Old 09-13-2011, 05:22 PM
Beginner

Why do license plates have to say anything but the number designation of the car as it is associated with the driver? Put a picture of something relavent to the state, but why have anything else? That's what bumper stickers are for.
#8 Old 09-13-2011, 05:30 PM
Super Moderator

So personalized license plates have to be voted on by the state?

Also, the winning reddit comment is: "Being forced to "Choose Life" isn't exactly a choice, now is it?"

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#9 Old 09-13-2011, 06:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Wow.

DON'T BRING MY MOTHER INTO THIS!
#10 Old 09-14-2011, 10:56 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't think they should have license plates referencing either side of the abortion debate. Political sloganeering belongs on stickers not plates.

slops, gloops, and gruels.
#11 Old 09-14-2011, 11:18 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by peace View Post

I don't think they should have license plates referencing either side of the abortion debate. Political sloganeering belongs on stickers not plates.

Yes I agree with you there , I like bumper stickers for qoutes not the plates.
#12 Old 09-19-2011, 09:49 AM
Banned

Im pro-life, however a choice sticker or plate would not offend me.
Im anti obama, but the obama 12 stickers dont offend me either.

why do people run around looking for lame reasons to be offended?
#13 Old 09-19-2011, 09:55 AM
Veggie Regular

It's not about 'being offended', it's about government endorsement of "pro-life" organizations. The plates provide funds for "pro-life" groups, while there is no analogous choice for pro-choice groups.

Who needs sleep when we've got love?
Who needs keys when we've got clubs?
Who needs please when we've got guns?
Who needs peace when we've gone above?
#14 Old 09-19-2011, 09:56 AM
Veggie Regular

I'll just pretend that the "Choose Life" is referring to vegetarianism.

"Hell exists not to punish sinners, but to ensure that nobody sins in the first place."
#15 Old 09-19-2011, 10:23 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbleforlola View Post

It's not about 'being offended', it's about government endorsement of "pro-life" organizations. The plates provide funds for "pro-life" groups, while there is no analogous choice for pro-choice groups.

Maybe, but think of this.
Planned Parenthood collects government funds to operate, there are no equal funds given to any group that is pro life.

so based on your comment, I assume that you would agree that stripping Planned Parenthood of all government funds would be a good way to cut some money from the budget?
#16 Old 09-19-2011, 10:34 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatman View Post

Maybe, but think of this.
Planned Parenthood collects government funds to operate, there are no equal funds given to any group that is pro life.

so based on your comment, I assume that you would agree that stripping Planned Parenthood of all government funds would be a good way to cut some money from the budget?

Oh please. First: Planned parenthood uses exactly 0% of government funds for abortion. Zero. Second: state governments (especially bible belt states) regularly give funds to CPC's. This plate is an example of such.

#17 Old 09-19-2011, 10:57 AM
Banned

Quote:

Oh please. First: Planned parenthood uses exactly 0% of government funds for abortion. Zero. Second: state governments (especially bible belt states) regularly give funds to CPC's. This plate is an example of such.

you know that is not totally true.
They can claim that no government dollar is being spent on abortions, but the reality is this.
government money would allow them to use only contributions etc.. for abortions, and then government money for non abortion issues. By using the government money for the non, it opens up the contribution money for the abortion, so even if on their books they show government funds not being used, it is. without it, they would have far less money to perform abortions.
#18 Old 09-19-2011, 10:58 AM
Banned

Montana has a pro-choice license plate, should that be taken away too?
#19 Old 09-19-2011, 11:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Montana has a pro-choice license plate, should that be taken away too?

Do they have an anti-abortion plate? If they have both, then it's fair. No reason to take either away. It's only because NC has one, but refuses to allow the other, that this is an issue.

--Fromper
#20 Old 09-19-2011, 11:49 AM
Banned

Quote:

Do they have an anti-abortion plate? If they have both, then it's fair. No reason to take either away. It's only because NC has one, but refuses to allow the other, that this is an issue.

--Fromper

It shouldnt matter, the state is not using state money to support this. The fees that users pay voluntarily covers the cost.
#21 Old 09-19-2011, 01:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

It shouldnt matter, the state is not using state money to support this. The fees that users pay voluntarily covers the cost.

This is something that is regulated by the state, even if they're not paying for it, so yes, it does matter. They need to be fair about it. Either allow both sides of any debate (whether it's abortion or anything else) to have their own custom license plate, or don't allow either. As a free speech advocate, I say allow both. But as someone who finds custom license plates annoying, I'd be perfectly happy with taking away ALL custom license plates and requiring all the plates for any particular state to look the same, like they used to.

--Fromper
#22 Old 09-19-2011, 08:16 PM
Veggie Regular

We don't have anything like that where I live, and honestly I'm glad for it. If you want to do a bumper sticker, fine, but a politically charged license plate? I think it's distracting and makes it difficult to read someone's license number.
#23 Old 09-20-2011, 11:44 AM
Banned

for the record, I agree that all state plates should be the same without any advertising on them.
#24 Old 09-20-2011, 11:57 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envy View Post

I'll just pretend that the "Choose Life" is referring to vegetarianism.

'Choose Life' just reminds me of a line from the film Trainspotting.
#25 Old 09-20-2011, 11:59 AM
Banned

Choose life still indicates a choice does it not?
#26 Old 09-20-2011, 12:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Choose life still indicates a choice does it not?

The money raised by those plates goes to anti-abortion charities.

--Fromper
#27 Old 09-20-2011, 09:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Awhile back I borrowed my sister's car while mine was in the shop. She has both a "Choose Life" plate and several pro-life bumper stickers. I needed to get a refill on my birth control (not used to prevent conception; refraining from sex did that on its own) from Planned Parenthood. I parked her car right out in front of PP, where everyone on the very busy street driving by could see it. And I never told her, because she would have been upset.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#28 Old 09-21-2011, 05:32 AM
Banned

Quote:

The money raised by those plates goes to anti-abortion charities.

--Fromper

But, even if the money went to anti abortion charities, its only the people paying for that plate that are donating, your money, taken in taxes is not being used. If we look at the funding that planned parenthood receives from the government, that money is coming out of the taxes paid by people that might not agree so much with them.
Personally, I think it would be best to have a pro choice plate where the money goes to PP instead of it coming out of the general tax base. that way, my money would not go to planned parent hood.
Does that not seem like it would be a better set up?
#29 Old 09-21-2011, 05:46 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

But, even if the money went to anti abortion charities, its only the people paying for that plate that are donating, your money, taken in taxes is not being used. If we look at the funding that planned parenthood receives from the government, that money is coming out of the taxes paid by people that might not agree so much with them.
Personally, I think it would be best to have a pro choice plate where the money goes to PP instead of it coming out of the general tax base. that way, my money would not go to planned parent hood.
Does that not seem like it would be a better set up?

No. For one, a prochoice plate was proposed, and quickly rejected. For two, planned parenthood uses 0% of government funds for abortion. They provide many, many services (not abortion related) that they wouldn't be able to provide without governmenthelp. What do CPC's do with that money? Lie to women and do their damnedest to coerce women into having babies they don't want.

#30 Old 09-21-2011, 06:04 AM
Banned

Quote:

No. For one, a prochoice plate was proposed, and quickly rejected. For two, planned parenthood uses 0% of government funds for abortion. They provide many, many services (not abortion related) that they wouldn't be able to provide without governmenthelp. What do CPC's do with that money? Lie to women and do their damnedest to coerce women into having babies they don't want.

Like it or not, that government money does assist in abortions.
let me put it this way, lets say you need a new car, but your mortgage payment has you strapped, you cant afford the car.
So, I come along and I pay 500 a month toward your mortgage. Do you suddenly have the money to buy a car? yes. am I directly paying for that car? no, but without me paying the 500 to the mortgage, you would not have had the available funds for the car.
Same with PP, the money from the government that pays for non abortion activities, frees up money to pay for abortion related activities.

But for a moment lets say that since the money is not paying for the abortion related functions of PP, there should be no problem with cutting the funding. PP would still be able to provide the abortion services at the same rate they do now. Leave the non abortion related work to pro life groups.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page