God's Approval Rating - VeggieBoards
View Poll Results: If God exists, do you approve or disapprove of its performance?
Approve 13 20.31%
Disapprove 44 68.75%
Not sure 7 10.94%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-17-2011, 01:36 PM
Unintentionally Kittened

Recently Public Policy Poll conducted a survey to find out Americans' evaluation of how God is running this (if it exists). It seemed like an interesting question so i figured i would ask their question about overall performance here. Here are the results from the PPP's poll.

I liked that they call God it (that's what i use) but the term God can be ambiguous so their poll is overly simplistic.

A plastic hutch is no substitute for a mother. Replace dairy, not mothers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-17-2011, 01:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Well that's an amusing poll.

"you know, nowhere in the bible does it say that jesus was not a raptor"

www.animal-adoptions.org

#3 Old 08-17-2011, 02:33 PM
Veggie Regular

God doesn't exist, but if it did, and if it was actually answering prayers and setting things in motion, I give it an "F".

"If you are lonely when you're alone, you are in bad company."
Jean-Paul Sartre
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-17-2011, 02:36 PM
Ira
Banned

I think he is really doing a crappy job, he is very mean too
#5 Old 08-17-2011, 02:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira View Post

I think he is really doing a crappy job, he is very mean too

That reminds me of this book my friend wrote. It's about what an @sshole god is.

Jean-Paul Sartre
#6 Old 08-17-2011, 02:42 PM
Ira
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoia View Post

That reminds me of this book my friend wrote. It's about what an @sshole god is.

cool! was it published?
#7 Old 08-17-2011, 02:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira View Post

cool! was it published?

http://www.amazon.com/Jumpin-Jehovah.../dp/158509112X

Jean-Paul Sartre
#8 Old 08-17-2011, 02:49 PM
Ira
Banned

Quote:

nice !
#9 Old 08-17-2011, 02:52 PM
Veggie Regular

I guess these people are afraid of expressing disapproval for their buddy in the sky? All you have to do is look at the millions of children that starve to death to realize that God would be a complete failure. Since there's way more horrible stuff than just that and it's all completely obvious, fear of reprisal is the only reason I can think of for such a low (9%!) disapproval rating.
#10 Old 08-17-2011, 03:15 PM
Beginner

Could the world be better? I would say yes. But I would also say that if a god exists, that god has done a pretty good job, if only for the fact that we are creatures who can even ask this question.

The human person is a complex molecular machine evolved over millions and millions of years originally from a few spinning atoms in some distant star. These atoms and molecules have gathered together to form a creature that can question the meaning of atoms and molecules, that can recognize spinning galaxies as beautiful, that can create communication systems which allow instant transactions of thoughts across continents via something called a "forum".

This system of diactic transactions has produced at least one creature capable of triadic communication. We can think abstractly.

This system of dancing electrons works in a way that, at least on one particular planet, life persists - even through and because of death, life persists.

The cosmos is a paradise. Some people are idiots and wreck the paradise, sure. Some days are a little rainy/cloudy/humid, but then again I can ponder the meaning of rainy/cloudy/humid and derive value from those events. Sure, my dog died, my grandma died, I will die, but if millions of years of life before me never died, I would have never gotten a turn at life.

I would say life is pretty good, pretty beautiful, and pretty amazing. If a god exists that created it all, yeah, it did a nice job. And it seems to be getting better through time. Maybe in another 500,000 years the human primate will have worked out its propensity for greed and violence and disappointment and everything will be even better.

If I gave my twelve year old kid a hammer to build a bird house, and the kid uses the hammer to kill a dog, was I a good parent? If I instead built the bird house for him and never trusted him with hammers would I be a better parent? The point is this: If God has done such a bad job, how would you make it better?
#11 Old 08-17-2011, 03:17 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinkies View Post

All you have to do is look at the millions of children that starve to death to realize that God would be a complete failure.

There are enough resources for everyone on the earth to eat. There are not enough resources for everyone on the earth to eat like Americans. I would say humans are more to blame about the hunger crises than a god might be.
#12 Old 08-17-2011, 03:21 PM
Ira
Banned

Yes, but God is supposed to know it all and be all powerful. In this case he should create humans that were less of idiots/*******s, make our reproduction less potent so that we don't produce as many kids etc. This is the difference between a parent and God, a parent' isn't perfect and all powerful. a God is supposed to be!
#13 Old 08-17-2011, 03:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainhugger View Post

If God has done such a bad job, how would you make it better?

Just a few quick ones, there are plenty more:

I wouldn't let rapists rape.

I wouldn't let murderers murder.

I wouldn't let abusers abuse.

If humans know well enough that these things are horrible and we try our damnedest to stop them, why wouldn't an all-knowing, all-loving being do the same? Free will's great and all, but absolute freedom to commit any atrocity imaginable is pretty awful. If it wasn't we wouldn't have a prison system. You said "life is pretty good," but that's coming from your position of privilege. For a ridiculously vast number of beings, life is short, brutal, and full of pain.

Honestly, though, I just skimmed the article, so I'm only assuming the main focus is on the Christian god. That's one would be a complete failure. I think a deity who simply created the universe and forked off would have done a pretty good job. The universe is hot stuff. Any deity who created the universe and stuck around, though, and presumed to give a rat's ass about humans, would have a hell of a lot to answer for.
#14 Old 08-17-2011, 03:31 PM
Veggie Regular

God is an awesome dude and I love Him!
#15 Old 08-17-2011, 03:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainhugger View Post

There are enough resources for everyone on the earth to eat. There are not enough resources for everyone on the earth to eat like Americans. I would say humans are more to blame about the hunger crises than a god might be.

Uh, those children are still totally dead. Maybe you're not getting my point? If your deity of choice can intervene to prevent the death of millions of children but chooses not to, I'd say that's a pretty big failure on its part.
#16 Old 08-17-2011, 03:57 PM
Veggie Regular

I voted "Disapprove," but a fourth option, "I don't care" would have been more accurate.
#17 Old 08-17-2011, 04:00 PM
Tom
Veggie Regular

Jinkies, I voted "not sure".

I'm glad I came to be, and I think overall, the animals and humans I've known feel the same way. But there's a lot of evil for humans and animals alike.

But consider the point mountainhugger made earlier: if humans are to have any freedom, I don't see how God could step in and save them from anything and everything bad without taking that freedom away from them. Okay, maybe that isn;t the point mountainhugger was making:
Quote:
If I gave my twelve year old kid a hammer to build a bird house, and the kid uses the hammer to kill a dog, was I a good parent? If I instead built the bird house for him and never trusted him with hammers would I be a better parent? The point is this: If God has done such a bad job, how would you make it better?

Then again, I often wonder if there is such a thing as "free will". Feeling the way I do about animals, could I have gone on eating them? Or, why couldn't God have just created all beings to be happy, with no desire to be "free"? Did God have to give humans a desire to disobey Him/Her?

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#18 Old 08-17-2011, 04:37 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

I think the whole of creation and the beautiful wonders of the universe and the life on our planet is extraordinary enough, and amazing enough that no matter anything else, I approve. Every day I wake up there is something beautiful and amazing in the world, I look at my dog and see what a wonder he is. If a sentient being created all other things in this existence, I can't help but say Bravo, and thank you.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#19 Old 08-17-2011, 04:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post

if humans are to have any freedom, I don't see how God could step in and save them from anything and everything bad without taking that freedom away from them.

It sounds like you're saying that taking away people's freedom to commit any horrible act they want is a negative thing. Correct me if I'm reading you wrong here. I'll disagree with that all day if it's what you're saying. It's the whole reason we put people in prison. If your god knows (and the omniscient ones always do) that little Timmy is about to get murdered and just shrugs, that's a pretty awful god.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post

Then again, I often wonder if there is such a thing as "free will". Feeling the way I do about animals, could I have gone on eating them? Or, why couldn't God have just created all beings to be happy, with no desire to be "free"? Did God have to give humans a desire to disobey Him/Her?

All my answers to these kinds of questions pretty much boil down to "ancient, ignorant humans made it all up, that's why it's illogical and none of it makes any sense." That argument can't scratch faith-based armor, though, so I'm not much help here.
#20 Old 08-17-2011, 06:32 PM
Veggie Regular

The world isn't any better or worse than it always has been. Rape, genocide, greed, or love, kindness, and pretty rainbows and all the other things we use to judge the state of the world have been around since long before the modern concept of God. People have always been capable of both terrible things and wonderful things, and happiness will always be mostly a matter of perception.

I've been to some crazy places in this world and seen both good and bad. I doubt it was any different 100, 1000, or 10,000 years ago.

Now as an agnostic, I would have trouble saying whether or not God did a good job. Hard to make that judgement when I don't know what the end goal was. If the goal was to make a terrible world where everything is bad, God did a bad job. If the goal was to make a perfect world where everything is good, god did a bad job. If God wanted to make a balanced world and see if we have what it takes to fight our way through the hardships and enjoy a few random rewards along the way, then way to go, I guess

"Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one." Bruce Lee

"I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine." Bruce Lee.

"On a large enough time line, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero." Chuck Palahniuk (Fight Club)

#21 Old 08-17-2011, 06:57 PM
Banned

Piss poor imho ...

Any truly intelligent designer would have made everything modular and provided us all with spare body part trees.

And flat-pack women that you can take home in a box and assemble yourself.
#22 Old 08-17-2011, 07:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless Git View Post

Piss poor imho ...

And flat-pack women that you can take home in a box and assemble yourself.

Taken care of for you. Here ya go.
#23 Old 08-17-2011, 07:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatman View Post

"A-yup. Ya wasted yer life, son"

- Old Man
#24 Old 08-17-2011, 10:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoia View Post

God doesn't exist, but if it did, and if it was actually answering prayers and setting things in motion, I give it an "F".

&

Quote:

...Any deity who created the universe and stuck around, though, and presumed to give a rat's ass about humans, would have a hell of a lot to answer for.

&

Quote:

If your deity of choice can intervene to prevent the death of millions of children but chooses not to, I'd say that's a pretty big failure on its part.

And the torture and exploitation and killing of animals, the atrocities committed by the racist, sexist, homophobic, etc. Never mind not letting humans do this stuff; why create humans who'd want to do this in the first place? Why allow for the conditions that make people become this messed up?

I may have more to say if much discussion evolves out of this thread, but the above post excerpts pretty much sum up my position. If God exists, he/she/it mustn't care about us much.

Direct action is always the clamorer, the initiator, through which the great sum of indifferentists become aware that oppression is getting intolerable. - Voltairine de Cleyre
#25 Old 08-17-2011, 10:14 PM
Super Moderator

“Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?”

- Epicurus

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#26 Old 08-17-2011, 10:24 PM
Veggie Regular

#27 Old 08-17-2011, 10:31 PM
Veggie Regular

don't take my life away, don't take my life away.
#28 Old 08-18-2011, 02:18 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't know how anyone sees this as a beautiful world, i guess it's the difference between the optimist and the pessimist, there are far too many crappy things in the world for me to see it as beautiful, i do believe there is more evil than good, and if they are actually equal, then that is still too much evil. As for god if he did exist he's obviously doing a really horrible job, and if he actually couldn't help then he's useless, and if he could like a lot believe and doesn't then that also makes him useless. But of course people pretend that the random person that 'came back to life' or lived through a car accident was saved by god through a miracle, but won't give the credit of killing millions of people to him. So ya if he existed i would hate him.
#29 Old 08-18-2011, 02:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatman View Post

Whooooaaa!

There REALLY is a God! - be carefull what you say ...
#30 Old 08-18-2011, 02:38 AM
Veggie Regular

Who are the sadistic *******s that voted they approve of what Mister ******* (God) has been up to?

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page