Food Network - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-10-2011, 05:23 PM
Veggie Regular

I have been watching their channel for a long time. I enjoy watching shows like Chopped and Top Chef and many others. I would guess that a lot of you would have a hard time watching these shows because there is so much meat involved. Since moving to eating non meat and non dairy I am still not having too much trouble watching, but am seeing things differently. I definitely enjoy watching the skill of the chefs, but always kind of got annoyed with the arrogance of the chefs and the indulgence of the people eating. The pure gluttony of the people eating on the show like Man vs Food disgusted me before eating Veggie. It blows me away how proud these people are to eat as much as they do. Now that I am eating veggie I think it would be really cool to feature some shows with vegetarian cooking. Its interesting to watch these people who think they are so talented and how they judge food while looking through the eyes os someone eating vegetarian. These people have lost all credibility because they specialize in cooking things I now see to be unhealthy and bad for the environment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-10-2011, 05:47 PM
Banned

Out of all the shows on the food network channel, why can't they had just one decent veg*n show? . I'd love something that promotes veganism and has cooking lessons to cook dishes every episode. It would help me a lot in my being vegan and learning how to cook
#3 Old 08-10-2011, 06:15 PM
Veggie Regular

I love Food Network, it's what I watch on tb 90% of the time (when I watch tv). I learn so much from it and most of the shows are great. The competition shows are my favorite like Chopped, Food Network Star, and Iron Chef, but I like most of the other shows too. I own a few cookbooks from Food Network chefs and have veganized some recipes. My fave is Michael Symon, he's great.

“May all sentient beings be free of pain and suffering.  May all sentient beings experience eternal joy and happiness.  gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.”
http://www.facebook.com/doktormartini
http://twitter.com/#!/MartyBaureis
http://doktormartini.tumblr.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-10-2011, 06:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Another fan here as well. I tend to like all the chefs that most veg*ns hate: Rachel Ray, Guy Fieri, Paula Deen (c'mon her recipes are so ridiculous that it's comical and entertaining to watch). I think the Neelys are one of the most adorable couples ever and I love watching them interact and cook together.
#5 Old 08-10-2011, 06:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Those were interesting comments and I am a bit surprised. That network is always adding to their line up and I think they would be willing to do a veg show. I think a lot of non veg folks would be willing to eat veg. Most people think of veggie eating as healthy and would be totally into it.
#6 Old 08-10-2011, 06:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocrob37 View Post

Those were interesting comments and I am a bit surprised. That network is always adding to their line up and I think they would be willing to do a veg show. I think a lot of non veg folks would be willing to eat veg. Most people think of veggie eating as healthy and would be totally into it.

Yeah, they should be willing to do a veg show, I don't know why they haven't/won't.
#7 Old 08-10-2011, 08:57 PM
Veggie Regular

I have something that may be an unpopular opinion: I think Rachel Ray is an entertaining person to watch, but I dont think much of her cooking. Perhaps she has improved since I used to watch her.

Once she chopped up this really lardy, fatty bacon quite roughly and put it in a pan and then burnt it, producing this awful looking black grease. Then she poured the fatty bacon and black grease into a pot of mashed potato (which looked lumpy and not well mashed) and then said "Yummo!" while presenting it.

She is definitely a talented presenter but I would rather have seen her as a talkshow host, not a cooking host. But whenever I have tried to tell someone this I am usually assassinated "How dare you insult Rachel Ray."
#8 Old 08-10-2011, 09:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Re: the food channel, I tend to watch Cake Boss, or some of the dessert shows. There is one called Choccywoccydoodah and then there is Washington Cupcake kitchen or something like that. I dont like watching the other shows much as there arent many vegetarian dishes featuring on these shows, I really really wish there was a veg cooking show!! It would be nice if one or more of the veg cookbook authors would get their own show.
#9 Old 08-11-2011, 04:26 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freesia View Post

I have something that may be an unpopular opinion: I think Rachel Ray is an entertaining person to watch, but I dont think much of her cooking. Perhaps she has improved since I used to watch her.

She is definitely a talented presenter but I would rather have seen her as a talkshow host, not a cooking host. But whenever I have tried to tell someone this I am usually assassinated "How dare you insult Rachel Ray."

Yeah she's definitely entertaining to watch. I find myself drawn to watching her because of her personality which I know most people find annoying but I think it's great. I love how she's always bubbly and smiling.
#10 Old 08-11-2011, 05:17 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocrob37 View Post

I think a veg show would be great also because many of those willing to try it have this idea that veg cooking is bland or difficult, seems like a cooking show could totally change that!
#11 Old 08-11-2011, 08:01 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddieB View Post

I think a veg show would be great also because many of those willing to try it have this idea that veg cooking is bland or difficult, seems like a cooking show could totally change that!

Yeah, the only time I've seen vegan mentioned on the network is when Zooey Deschanel came on. That was the first time I learned what vegan meant. I remember she kept saying she doesn't eat anything but salads, and they made a big deal that she was also gluten free, making it seem like it'd be impossible to be vegan and gluten free. Now that I'm vegan, I can't believe how much vegan food is also specifically made to be gluten free! I think 90% of what I eat is gluten free, and pretty much all of the vegan specific products like substitutes are all gluten free. Even when I tell people I'm vegan, like at restaraunts, they say, "Oh, well this dish is gluten free", and I say, "Oh, I can eat gluten", and they say, "Oh, a lot of the vegans I've met are gluten free". Though I'm glad I learned about veganism through the show, I think it was portrayed rather negatively.
#12 Old 08-11-2011, 10:41 AM
Riot Nrrrd

Cupcake Wars has vegan contestants fairly regularly. 4 last season (one episode had two vegans). They do pretty well, 2 wins.

Sunday the 14th Great Foodtruck Race season two premieres. One of the competing trucks is Seabirds, a vegan truck. Possible minor spoiler:

I don't know how to make the spoiler fold up dealy, but this is really minor anyway. Seabirds makes it through the first week at least. Episode one is Vegas. Folks in Salt Lake City had the trucks in the race come through, and Seabirds was involved and presumably still in the running.

Dave in MPLS / DISCLAIMER: I am not an actual rooster.
"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 18002738255
#13 Old 08-16-2011, 12:47 AM
Veggie Regular

How funny. My husband and I were just talking about this after I got butthurt over the veg joke on the next FNS. They cater to veggies (Foo Fighter episode a few seasons back), but they generally view us as a laughable nuisance.

‎"I just think there's something in being lost. I never feel lost. I just think, 'Oh. I've taken a diversion'." ~ Karl Pilkington
#14 Old 08-16-2011, 05:56 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't watch cooking shows anymore b/c of all of the meat. I used to love them, but I just get no joy from them anymore. I wish there were a veg cooking show. I would watch that for sure. Every now and again, I would see a show that featured veg dishes, but they always had lots of starch and cheese. It's like they were making an omni dish and just leaving out the meat. Good veg cooking isn't about making omni dishes with meat substitutes, tofu, or cheese to replace the meat. Good veggie dishes are generally way different IMHO than "good" omni dishes.
#15 Old 08-16-2011, 07:30 AM

I like the food network, but sometimes the animal product use is too much for me to enjoy the programs, but sometimes I'm not that bothered....I'm not going to eat that stuff after all, and sometimes I use the program to immune myself to the idea of all the meat, dairy and egg eating, in the world.

I quite like The Barefoot Contessa...she's a cheerful little bunny...but I keep hoping she'll go vegan one day.

#16 Old 08-16-2011, 08:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

Another fan here as well. I tend to like all the chefs that most veg*ns hate: Rachel Ray, Guy Fieri, Paula Deen (c'mon her recipes are so ridiculous that it's comical and entertaining to watch).

Someone's now lost all my respect! Rachel Ray?!?!?!?!?!?
#17 Old 08-16-2011, 02:14 PM
Riot Nrrrd

Quote:
Rachel Ray?!?!?!?!?!?

C'mon, she's purdy! Can't remember ever being impressed by her food, though.

According to a "Which FN star are you?" quiz on the Family Circle (? I think) website I'm Giada. I was worried I was gonna get Paula.

#18 Old 08-16-2011, 02:26 PM
Ankle Biter

I enjoy Food Network. It's on right now, and I've written down Ina Garten's recipe for curried chicken wraps. I'm pretty sure they'd be great with vegenaise and Soy Delight chick*n nuggets subbed for the non-vegan items she used.

I love Chopped, The Great Food Truck Race (they have a vegan truck in the race!), and Food Network Star. I like Ina Garten, but loathe Paula Deen.

Veganized Curried Chick*n Wraps:

Thaw and chop/shred one package Soy Delight Chick*n Nuggets (or approx 2 cups cubed chicken substitute of your choice). Place in a large bowl with:
2 stalks of celery, medium chopped
2 scallions chopped
1/4 cup raisins

In a separate bowl, mix together
1/2 cup vegenaise
1/3 cup white wine
1/4 cup Major Grey's Chutney
3 T. curry powder
1.5 t. salt

Mix the dressing into the chick*n mix. Fold in 1/2 cup roasted, chopped cashews and serve with lettuce on tortillas.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#19 Old 08-16-2011, 04:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Just sayin'.
#20 Old 08-16-2011, 05:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeannem View Post

Someone's now lost all my respect! Rachel Ray?!?!?!?!?!?

I believe we are even now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in MPLS View Post

C'mon, she's purdy!

I enjoy her giddiness. She's always chiper and smiling.
#21 Old 08-16-2011, 06:33 PM
Banned

deleted
#22 Old 08-16-2011, 06:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbitLuvr View Post

That's what annoys me about Rachel Ray! Sometimes it seems like she giggles after everything she says. And if you have to explain your cutesy abbreviation every time you say it, you should stop saying the damned annoying cutesy abbreviation.

Sorry. I want to punch her in the face.

I want to punch her in the face, too! Her cutesy and chiper act seems fake' everything about her rubs me the wrong way. She makes awful food, too. Even when I was an omni, I wanted nothing to do with her!
#23 Old 08-16-2011, 06:48 PM
Banned

deleted
#24 Old 08-16-2011, 08:54 PM
Riot Nrrrd

The tomato sauce kinda freaks me out. Some guys like 'messy food' glamour pics. I don't think I'm one of 'em'

#25 Old 08-17-2011, 04:45 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbitLuvr View Post

That's what annoys me about Rachel Ray! Sometimes it seems like she giggles after everything she says. And if you have to explain your cutesy abbreviation every time you say it, you should stop saying the damned annoying cutesy abbreviation.

Sorry. I want to punch her in the face.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeannem View Post

I want to punch her in the face, too! Her cutesy and chiper act seems fake' everything about her rubs me the wrong way. She makes awful food, too. Even when I was an omni, I wanted nothing to do with her!

I can totally understand that. I don't know why I actually enjoy her personality since most when I encounter cutesy, chiper, always happy people in real life I want to punch them in the face. I confuse myself.

I would find it totally fascinating if her whole personality was totally fake and it turned out that she was some crazy b*tch who had severed human heads stored in her basement or something.
#26 Old 08-26-2011, 08:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Yummo!

“May all sentient beings be free of pain and suffering.  May all sentient beings experience eternal joy and happiness.  gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.”
http://www.facebook.com/doktormartini
http://twitter.com/#!/MartyBaureis
http://doktormartini.tumblr.com

#27 Old 08-27-2011, 08:19 AM
Veggie Regular

I used to LOVE the food network- it used to be on my house 24/7 and I was a pretty good cook and always looking for recipes for my blog.
But now that I'm vegan it seems to have no value for me. I even DVR'd the competition shows- I just took them off my list because they are boring to me now- I feel like I have no use for it and am wasting my time.

I agree- I see them all different now- especially other shows like Top Chef- (I have seen all the seasons) - they seem to view vegetarians as a nuisance, and I personally think its kind of insulting that they have "challenges" where they try to feed a vegan and are all stumped and laughing.

Another good point- I'm sure these chefs are more connected to their food sources than the diners or viewers (Exec Chefs- they are responsible for obtaining it most of the time- looking at the food and determining its freshness and taste before working with it). That means that they must be well aware of how the meat gets to the plate and completely disregard it. They buy it in mass volumes and serve it to their customers, sharing the recipe for hundreds of thousands to replicate. And they know damn well where it came from. So they are responsible for increasing demand for the meat more than the average meat eater.

That being said I do see some chefs trying to get more locally raised meat and babbling about it on those shows and featuring "organic, farm raised" next to the word chicken or beef on their menus. Although that doesn't mean anything, it gets people thinking a bit more away from factory farms, maybe not changing people but raising awareness.

lol- obviously I have given this a bit of thought. I am bummed, these cooking shows were always a way of life for me!

Even if you fall on your face, you're still moving forward.
#28 Old 08-27-2011, 11:17 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney.jessica View Post

Yeah, they should be willing to do a veg show, I don't know why they haven't/won't.

Maybe there's just not enough demand for it yet. Most people are not veg*n, so maybe they figure there's not a wide enough audience for it. Either that or maybe they're afraid it would pique too much interest in veg*n diets and no one would watch the meat shows anymore and that would make Emiril and Paula Deen very mad.
#29 Old 08-27-2011, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney.jessica View Post

Out of all the shows on the food network channel, why can't they had just one decent veg*n show? . I'd love something that promotes veganism and has cooking lessons to cook dishes every episode. It would help me a lot in my being vegan and learning how to cook

I agree fully. Write to them. Perhaps if enough people let them know, they'll consider it. The vegan woman who won Cupcake Wars might be a possible host.
#30 Old 08-27-2011, 06:27 PM
Veggie Regular

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Isa-Mo...25456167506119

Well there's this facebook page for Isa Moskowitz to have her own show on Food Network. It would be awesome to see this happen!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page