Do you think it's hypocritical to be a vegetarian and wear leather? - Page 5 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 7Likes

#121 Old 03-16-2015, 08:09 AM
Veggie Regular

I think it's inconsistent for those who are vegetarians for ethical reasons to wear leather (unless it's something that they owned prior to becoming vegetarian).

I think it becomes hypocritical when they lecture others about eating meat while they are wearing leather. (I'm remembering one Thanksgiving dinner years ago during the entirety of which someone lectured the entire table about the ethical evils of eating turkey; she was wearing leather pants.)
River likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#122 Old 03-16-2015, 09:01 AM
Veggie Regular

Do you think it's hypocritical to be a vegetarian and wear leather?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beautiful Joe View Post
I think it's inconsistent for those who are vegetarians for ethical reasons to wear leather (unless it's something that they owned prior to becoming vegetarian).

I think it becomes hypocritical when they lecture others about eating meat while they are wearing leather. (I'm remembering one Thanksgiving dinner years ago during the entirety of which someone lectured the entire table about the ethical evils of eating turkey; she was wearing leather pants.)

But isn't it kind of the same as say milk or eggs? Although no animals are killed for the express purpose of getting leather it's a byproduct of meat industry. Although animals aren't killed for the express purpose of milk and eggs, male chicks and calfs are killed and the producing animals are subjected to cruel conditions.

So i think it's basically it's your own decision whether you wear leather or not as a ethical vegetarian. If you were ethical vegan it's probably far easier to say they shouldn't wear leather.

Last edited by rasitha.wijesekera; 03-16-2015 at 09:07 AM.
#123 Old 03-16-2015, 09:20 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasitha.wijesekera View Post
But isn't it kind of the same as say milk or eggs? Although no animals are killed for the express purpose of getting leather it's a byproduct of meat industry. Although animals aren't killed for the express purpose of milk and eggs, male chicks and calfs are killed and the producing animals are subjected to cruel conditions.

So i think it's basically it's your own decision whether you wear leather or not as a ethical vegetarian. If you were ethical vegan it's probably far easier to say they shouldn't wear leather.
Not true. Without leather, killing cows (and other animals) becomes much less profitable. Putting some of this in spoilers because

"Most people are led to believe that leather is a byproduct of the meat industry, that it’s simply a ‘leftover’, and if we don’t use it, it will go to waste. This is a common misconception, and one that I used to believe myself. The truth is that much of the leather sold comes from animals killed primarily for their skins.

Leather is not a byproduct and it is not produced in efforts to minimize waste. It’s produced because it is a highly profitable and lucrative business. A cow’s skin is approximately 10% of her total value, making it the most profitable part of her body. Surprisingly, leather actually makes the meat industry more sustainable (as selling skins is very profitable while meat isn’t always so), not the other way around.

Spoiler
The majority of leather comes from India’s cows, who are abused, beaten and poisoned in order to make leather for high street stores. As India forbids the slaughter of cows, these poor, innocent animals are forced to endure brutal and grueling journeys where they are confronted with an unimaginable end."

http://www.care2.com/causes/the-shoc...byproduct.html

Last edited by LedBoots; 03-16-2015 at 09:22 AM. Reason: Forgot to include link
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#124 Old 03-16-2015, 10:29 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasitha.wijesekera View Post

What Ledboots said. Leather isn't a "by-product", any more than steak is.
Go Vegan likes this.
#125 Old 03-16-2015, 02:00 PM
Impeach the gangster

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post
Not true. Without leather, killing cows (and other animals) becomes much less profitable. Putting some of this in spoilers because

"Most people are led to believe that leather is a byproduct of the meat industry, that it’s simply a ‘leftover’, and if we don’t use it, it will go to waste. This is a common misconception, and one that I used to believe myself. The truth is that much of the leather sold comes from animals killed primarily for their skins.

Leather is not a byproduct and it is not produced in efforts to minimize waste. It’s produced because it is a highly profitable and lucrative business. A cow’s skin is approximately 10% of her total value, making it the most profitable part of her body. Surprisingly, leather actually makes the meat industry more sustainable (as selling skins is very profitable while meat isn’t always so), not the other way around.

Spoiler
The majority of leather comes from India’s cows, who are abused, beaten and poisoned in order to make leather for high street stores. As India forbids the slaughter of cows, these poor, innocent animals are forced to endure brutal and grueling journeys where they are confronted with an unimaginable end."

I believe it. The American buffalo was hunted to the point of extinction, not for its meat, which was left to rot on the prairie, but for its hides. 100-million buffalo brought down to almost zero, so people could wear their skin.
LedBoots and Naturebound like this.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder
#126 Old 03-16-2015, 10:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post

Spoiler

jeez! Did not know this.
#127 Old 03-17-2015, 02:01 PM
Vegan as f**k

Quote:
Originally Posted by imtomj View Post
I've been a vegetarian for about a year, and I'm still learning. I recently bought some shoes because I like the way they look and they're in my price range. Now I'm starting to rethink the purchase because according to the hideous red tag on the shoes, they're leather. Without getting too graphic, do you think it's cruel to support leather manufacturing? Or do you think it's okay to wear leather? Thanks!

Thanks a lot for all of your replies. I'm really glad I posted this thread, and you're all definitely helping me craft who I am as a vegetarian. I returned the shoes today.

Also, I've been considering becoming a truck driver for a while. Through this whole shoe conundrum and a recent road trip I took, I've decided that if I do, I will not transport meat or livestock. Any thoughts on that would be great too.
1) Leather production should not be supported as it is very cruel. Leather is not just a by-product. Much of the world's leather comes from India and neighbouring countries. Animals there are specifically killed for their hides. If you accidentally bought something made of leather then that is not your fault. Just don't buy it again

2) Definitely do not drive livestock around!

Why is the suffering and killing of animals wrong? Because the value of a sentient organism's life is priceless. They are their own beings and have their own lives and loves. They have higher emotions and thought processes. Their minds are different from ours in degree, not kind - meaning that fundamentally there are critical similarities.
#128 Old 07-19-2016, 05:48 AM

Some Animal Rights Vegans Won't Address Variables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blobbenstein View Post
vegan shoe websites don't seem to go up to my size, so I have to buy leather...not much I can do about that.<br>
I emailed the vegetarian shoe site, and they said that their shoe sole suppliers don't make them in the larger sizes.
I know this thread is old. But sizing is my issue. I wear a size 10.5 women's. I can fit into a size 11 women's but my foot slides around. One day I spent hours searching lots of vegan shoe websites and found 0 websites that sell size 10.5. It's a hard shoe size to find on any websites but people do sell them. Also I have back problems, as in had back surgery problems, I can't wear uncomfortable pinching or sliding shoes for anyone. So I buy used leather. Environmentally, buying used leather is ethical because it takes 50 years for leather to break down in a landfill.

Also, it's just as important to me that items be made in the USA or fair trade. I can buy synthetic leather Made in China via child labor any day. Good for cows. Terrible for 10 year old Chinese girls who are raped and paid very little. Some vegans won't address variables like this. Everything is not black and white.

I am a vegetarian for health reasons, primarily.
#129 Old 07-19-2016, 07:30 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by HealthVegOver40 View Post
Also, it's just as important to me that items be made in the USA or fair trade. I can buy synthetic leather Made in China via child labor any day. Good for cows. Terrible for 10 year old Chinese girls who are raped and paid very little. Some vegans won't address variables like this. Everything is not black and white.

So as a vegetarian, does the suffering of animals in the clothing/food industries not bother you at all?
#130 Old 07-19-2016, 07:35 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HealthVegOver40 View Post
I know this thread is old. But sizing is my issue. I wear a size 10.5 women's. I can fit into a size 11 women's but my foot slides around. One day I spent hours searching lots of vegan shoe websites and found 0 websites that sell size 10.5. It's a hard shoe size to find on any websites but people do sell them. Also I have back problems, as in had back surgery problems, I can't wear uncomfortable pinching or sliding shoes for anyone. So I buy used leather. Environmentally, buying used leather is ethical because it takes 50 years for leather to break down in a landfill.

I perfectly understand your situation, as well as your outlook.
@leedsveg - you cut out the first paragraph. Seems to me they're quite conscious of all aspects.
#131 Old 07-19-2016, 09:47 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
I perfectly understand your situation, as well as your outlook.
@leedsveg - you cut out the first paragraph. Seems to me they're quite conscious of all aspects.
"All aspects"? I think you're reading a lot more more into the one post than what I'm seeing, silva.

(I didn't feel a need to quote the first para because it wasn't related to what I was saying.)

Lv
LedBoots likes this.
#132 Old 07-19-2016, 11:20 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by leedsveg View Post
"All aspects"? I think you're reading a lot more more into the one post than what I'm seeing, silva.

(I didn't feel a need to quote the first para because it wasn't related to what I was saying.)

Lv
Ok, I jumped ahead myself
I admit I share those feelings. There are so many factors that differentiate peoples needs and finances.
I just bought a second car when my son blew his cars engine and need something asap. Spending 1500. and finding a very very nice running car I wasn't even triggered by leather (torn) seats. I'm honestly not really bothered, I don't feel I've done anything to contribute to more leather production and the 17 year old ripped seats just don't , well, trigger thoughts of leather

New--never. But even then I would never judge someone with particular needs, even if it's more of a comfort thing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page