Do you think it's hypocritical to be a vegetarian and wear leather? - Page 4 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 7Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#91 Old 08-03-2013, 02:24 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Pixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 5,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by leedsveg View Post

As a vegan, I tell people that there is more choice of non-leather shoes around these days. The reality when I was trying to find a suitable pair a couple of months ago in Leeds, in Manhattan, online etc was that it was an absolute nightmare. 

Do you mean Manhattangrin.gif or Matalan blush.gif in Leeds?  It is annoying to look for vegan footwear I admit.

 

 

The powers that be need to make more affordable (and clearly labelled) vegan footwear.smiley.gif

Pixie is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#92 Old 08-03-2013, 02:33 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 4,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixie View Post

Do you mean Manhattangrin.gif or Matalan blush.gifin Leeds?  It is annoying to look for vegan footwear I admit.

 

 

The powers that be need to make more affordable (and clearly labelled) vegan footwear.smiley.gif

 

Matalan? MATALAN?

 

No, Moo Shoes, Lower East Side, Manhattan. 

leedsveg is offline  
#93 Old 08-03-2013, 04:23 PM
Beanitarian
 
imagineaa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeryFairy View Post

Yes, providing someone is veg*n for ethical or environmental reasons. If they're veg*n for health reasons only, then it's not hypocritical.


Agreed.  There are reasons other than animal rights for being vegetarian.  Others are religion, budget, taste or preference.

 

If you are concerned about animal slaughter then yes it's somewhat hypocritical.  I have many leather items from my omni days, and even from my veg days because ethics was not the impetus for me becoming veg.  I don't think it's right though.


Beanitarian.
imagineaa is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#94 Old 08-04-2013, 12:24 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Pixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 5,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by leedsveg View Post

 

Matalan? MATALAN?

 

No, Moo Shoes, Lower East Side, Manhattan. 

Okay, calm down dear.smiley.gif It is annoying that vegans have to search to get good vegan shoes and even if the materials are synthetic then you have to worry about if the glues being animal derived etc... gah.

 

The trainers I bought from Vegetarian Shoes (in Brighton, England) are still going strong nearly 7 years on though.

Pixie is offline  
#95 Old 08-04-2013, 02:39 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 4,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixie View Post

The trainers I bought from Vegetarian Shoes (in Brighton, England) are still going strong nearly 7 years on though.

 

I bought two pairs of black "office shoes" from Vegetarian Shoes and wore them for years and years. I now only wear them for funerals and at my age of 66, they'll probably see me out.

leedsveg is offline  
#96 Old 08-04-2013, 05:26 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Naturebound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 4,609

I have been able to replace all my leather shoes (hiking, running, dress, casual) and did give away or recycle any clothing, belts, jewelry or other household items with animal derived materials as far as I know, but I still have a mountain bike with a leather seat that I ride everywhere.  I am having a hard enough time just finding a bike seat that fits me properly let alone finding a vegan alternative and from what I have researched they are very expensive and I am sort of broke right now with school (which is one of the many reasons for me cycling instead of driving a car most days).  I have had this bike since 2010 and became vegan in 2011.  I'm not going to feel bad about it though.  There are worse things for me to be concerned with in the world.


In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Naturebound is offline  
#97 Old 08-05-2013, 10:22 AM
Siv
Veggie Regular
 
Siv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 456

When I first turned vegetarian, I was determined not to buy any more leather but I was happy to use the leather I already had bought (I see it as a waste since the damage is already done). As my shoes and belts wore out I searched and searched for alternatives. I did find some and although they were a lot more expensive I was happy to buy them. The only problem is that they look like child's shoes - not something that I was that bothered about back then. Casual shoes are no problem, neither are sneakers - these are rarely leather anyway.

 

Fast forward a few years and my vegan shoes needed replacing and my career was also advancing necessitating my wearing of something a little more professional. So I searched high a low and found that Bata sells many cheap professional looking shoes so I bought many. Probably 6 pairs. Well you pay for what you get and 3 pairs caused me foot pain so I can't wear them for more than about an hour. The other three got damaged/scratched and wore out so quickly that within a year I was looking for shoes again. Now a typical leather pair will last 2-3 years but here I am with 3 vegan pairs lasting less than a year.

 

So I had to make a compromise - all my casual shoes are vegan (except my 10 year old timberland boaties) but I have bought two pairs of work shoes (black and brown) which are leather. It's not ideal but it's the only practical solution at this time.

Siv is offline  
#98 Old 08-09-2013, 09:18 AM
 
VeggieDelights's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: York, England
Posts: 10

I always go leather and skin free, that's just part and parcel of being vegetarian in my eyes,

 

I do have friends who claim to be "vegetarian" some say apart from chicken or fish lol i hate that, and they wear leather as they say "the animal is already dead cause of meat" but to me that makes no sense as to me its still skin and it grosses me out to think that people wear it, i cannot stand the smell of leather or suede reminds me of death lol.

 

But like was said before, i guess it depends on the reasons for being vegetarian, if your vegetarian because you love animals then you shouldn't wear leather or any skin :)

 

Sorry for waffling I tend to talk to much :)

 

Veggie Delights x

VeggieDelights is offline  
#99 Old 09-10-2013, 09:04 PM
 
Rhapsody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeryFairy View Post

Yes, providing someone is veg*n for ethical or environmental reasons. If they're veg*n for health reasons only, then it's not hypocritical.

 

That is exactly what I was going to say...... it depends on the reason you are becoming a Vegetarian.

 

I am doing it for health reasons and to support my niece who is 15 yrs old & a Vegan. 

Werewolf Girl likes this.
Rhapsody is offline  
#100 Old 09-11-2013, 08:05 PM
 
erika20's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 118

I have stopped buying all leather and other animal-based clothing, but I really don't know what to do about the stuff I already have. I just became vegetarian in the spring and a good amount of my fall and winter shoes are leather and even sheepskin. It's not in my budget to replace them all with vegan footwear but I don't really want to wear them. I probably will end up getting rid of them pretty soon, since I doubt I'll be wearing them anyway. I definitely wouldn't throw them out though, if I do decide to get rid of them I will donate them because I can't change the fact that I already bought them and I'd rather them keep someone else warm than end up in the garbage. 

erika20 is offline  
#101 Old 09-11-2013, 11:19 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Tiger Lilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siv View Post
 

When I first turned vegetarian, I was determined not to buy any more leather but I was happy to use the leather I already had bought (I see it as a waste since the damage is already done). As my shoes and belts wore out I searched and searched for alternatives. I did find some and although they were a lot more expensive I was happy to buy them. The only problem is that they look like child's shoes - not something that I was that bothered about back then. Casual shoes are no problem, neither are sneakers - these are rarely leather anyway.

 

Fast forward a few years and my vegan shoes needed replacing and my career was also advancing necessitating my wearing of something a little more professional. So I searched high a low and found that Bata sells many cheap professional looking shoes so I bought many. Probably 6 pairs. Well you pay for what you get and 3 pairs caused me foot pain so I can't wear them for more than about an hour. The other three got damaged/scratched and wore out so quickly that within a year I was looking for shoes again. Now a typical leather pair will last 2-3 years but here I am with 3 vegan pairs lasting less than a year.

 

So I had to make a compromise - all my casual shoes are vegan (except my 10 year old timberland boaties) but I have bought two pairs of work shoes (black and brown) which are leather. It's not ideal but it's the only practical solution at this time.

 

My partner's the same.

He gets his leather shoes repaired about every 18 months or so (regular upkeep has meant that he's not had to buy a new pair in a VERY long time). It means that even if some leather is used in the repairs, it's not nearly as much as the leather to make an entirely new set of boots. We minimise harm where we can.

 

Tiger Lilly is offline  
#102 Old 09-12-2013, 04:48 AM
 
aniaraven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: bromsgrove united kingdom
Posts: 145

I am in the UK and looking online the shoes are quite expensive for me as i am not working and am on sick benefits. Does anybody know anywhere that isnt too expensive?

aniaraven is offline  
#103 Old 09-12-2013, 11:11 AM
Newbie
 
shelby222's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 5

I think you should try not to use leather.  I knew someone who wasn't vegetarian but didn't like shoes made out of anything but man made materials. I always look for the man made tag.  For sneakers I where Nike because most of their sneakers are actually vegan. I can't wear shoes so I wear sneakers mostly. 

shelby222 is offline  
#104 Old 09-12-2013, 08:28 PM
 
run rabbit run's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 2

Nike are just about as bad as killing animals in my opinion. they are made in sweat shops for peanuts by children and those kids aretreated so poorly. we look after animals and we should look after all humans too. 

aniaraven likes this.
run rabbit run is offline  
#105 Old 09-14-2013, 07:52 PM
Beginner
 
neo77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 105

Actually it has nothing to do with vegetarian or vegan since they are diets. But more recently many vegans say that vegans should not wear leather. So that is why Bill Clinton and others doing it for health say that they eat a plant-based diet, not vegan.

 

Now on the other hand can they take the leather off the cow while it is still alive? Maybe but it will cause a lot of pain. So they take the leather off by killing the animal. Should you support the killing of animals? That is a personal question for you to answer.


Here is an article on LinkedIn, the 10th biggest website in the country. It has on it the CDC, Harvard School of Public Health and American Heart Association saying to eat more fruits and vegetables. It is called

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
.
neo77 is offline  
#106 Old 09-22-2013, 08:01 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Photojess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Central NY
Posts: 3,423

two years ago, I posted on page one of this...all of my leather motorcycle gear is gone except for my boots, which I really need to replace. I've even used boot glue to keep them together now, and the ONLY vegan motorcyle boot is made by SIDI, and is over $200. Which is why I've glued my boots back together. We need more options in that dept, but you can't find outdoor boots that aren't made of some leather or suede, on parts of the boots, whether it's for hiking or motorcycling. I may have to just bite the bullet when I really need to ditch these.


My brand new website for health coaching, and where all of my recipes will reside!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
previous food photography and portrait blog: www.creativeinspirationsphotography.blogspot.com

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1435413727
Photojess is offline  
#107 Old 09-23-2013, 09:57 AM
Newbie
 
LunaCaelum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Katy, Texas
Posts: 36

What's important here is what do you think? How does it make you feel if you wear that leather belt or shoe?

 

Don't worry about someone's elses ethics and don't let their ethics dictate your own. Do you feel like a hypocrite if you wear the item? It seems like you do since you've asked here, but it's up to you, not anyone else here to answer that question.

LunaCaelum is offline  
#108 Old 09-23-2013, 04:59 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Rinchen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Both here and not here
Posts: 677
I have pre-vegan shoes, belts, and a down comforter. I don't use any of them often so they have lasted and I refuse to get rid of them until they do. Any new items I've bought have been vegan. If that makes me a hypocrite so be it.
Rinchen is offline  
#109 Old 09-23-2013, 05:52 PM
 
vegi906's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Singapore
Posts: 13

It does prick my conscience to know how leather come about and still be using it. Whatever damage that I have caused due to ignorant in the past had already been done. My craving for materialistic goods have been put out to only basic needs. Contentment is happiness but happiness in today's world is equal to wealth, gain, statues, luxury homes and big cars....... If there is no health, there is no wealth. So we vegan had ample health and wealth. Let's work together to create a veggiland and live happily ever after.:bobo:

Werewolf Girl likes this.
vegi906 is offline  
#110 Old 09-27-2013, 01:04 PM
Veggie Regular
 
khadijah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Cairo Egypt
Posts: 1,057

Personaly I would not by any thing with Leather, 

khadijah is offline  
#111 Old 09-27-2013, 02:17 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 4,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo77 View Post
 

Actually it has nothing to do with vegetarian or vegan since they are diets. But more recently many vegans say that vegans should not wear leather. 

 

Hi Neo. I think that the Vegan Society UK has been regarding veganism as more than a diet since 1951 when it changed its definition of veganism to:

 

"the doctrine that man should live without exploiting animals."

 

lv

LedBoots likes this.
leedsveg is offline  
#112 Old 10-01-2013, 02:04 PM
 
KristaForLife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 3

Truck tires contain animal products. And the oil industry is killing the planet far more rapidly than factory farming or eating meat ever could. Sorry, just the facts, if you want to be a purist, you can't really use or do anything much in our society without using animal products or destroying the planet. We are all contributors to this mess and it's going to take way more than vegetarianism can ever do to turn it around. So I guess what I'm trying to say is, don't sweat it. Wear the leather shoes, drive the truck. Do what your conscience allows you to do, do your best, which is really all you can do, knowing that no matter what, you're going to be contradicting a vegetarian lifestyle whatever you choose, while living within our current society. Best of health and happiness to you!

Krista

KristaForLife is offline  
#113 Old 10-01-2013, 02:08 PM
 
KristaForLife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 3

your glue is made with animal products. just point out that it's always worth examining deeper beyond the obvious, skin and meat. it's easy to find many lists of products that use animal ingredients just by googling. maybe everyone will realize when they read it that it's not about 'looking' vegetarian by avoiding leather, but it's about planet health and a much bigger picture. no rudeness intended, just being frank because it cuts to the core issues. i really am interested in creating awareness, not judging or just being obnoxious. :-) take care!

KristaForLife is offline  
#114 Old 10-01-2013, 03:42 PM
Super Moderator
 
silva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 8,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by KristaForLife View Post
 

Truck tires contain animal products. And the oil industry is killing the planet far more rapidly than factory farming or eating meat ever could. Sorry, just the facts, if you want to be a purist, you can't really use or do anything much in our society without using animal products or destroying the planet. We are all contributors to this mess and it's going to take way more than vegetarianism can ever do to turn it around. So I guess what I'm trying to say is, don't sweat it. Wear the leather shoes, drive the truck. Do what your conscience allows you to do, do your best, which is really all you can do, knowing that no matter what, you're going to be contradicting a vegetarian lifestyle whatever you choose, while living within our current society. Best of health and happiness to you!

Krista

 

Well yeah, I mean every time I turn the news on people are murdered, robbed, raped, tortured. In other countries genocide of all sorts goes on daily. You can't get away from it! Drug abuse, suicide, gun violence.

Hell, why bother with living your ethics when every one around you is for sh**.

 

What the H are you trying to say?


Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
silva is offline  
#115 Old 10-01-2013, 04:18 PM
 
KristaForLife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 3

I think my point(s) is extremely clear. It's up to you if you want to hear it/see them or not. I am trying to find where I said in my message that you should make your decisions based on what's happening around you. Can't find it though. Pretty sure I said "don't sweat it", what you're trying to achieve (trying to be a purist and do what others think is right - trying to avoid being a hypocrite in other people's eyes) isn't going to happen. We are all hypocrites. I also said "do your best". Lots of points there you could have taken from it. What makes NO sense to me is seeing people sweating and wringing their purist hands over anything. Do. Your. Best. And do what feels right to you. I'm guessing that just by writing to a forum to ask other people's opinions on what they think is "right" or acceptable for you to do, you are more concerned with adhering to what people you don't even know will say, than to what feels right for you. Tis all.

KristaForLife is offline  
#116 Old 10-01-2013, 04:49 PM
Super Moderator
 
silva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 8,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by KristaForLife View Post
 

I think my point(s) is extremely clear. It's up to you if you want to hear it/see them or not.  I am trying to find where I said in my message that you should make your decisions based on what's happening around you. Can't find it though. Pretty sure I said "don't sweat it", what you're trying to achieve (trying to be a purist and do what others think is right - trying to avoid being a hypocrite in other people's eyes) isn't going to happen. We are all hypocrites. I also said "do your best". Lots of points there you could have taken from it. What makes NO sense to me is seeing people sweating and wringing their purist hands over anything. Do. Your. Best. And do what feels right to you. I'm guessing that just by writing to a forum to ask other people's opinions on what they think is "right" or acceptable for you to do, you are more concerned with adhering to what people you don't even know will say, than to what feels right for you. Tis all.

 

^ Where did I imply that you did? This is forum for conversational debate. Even I'm not so much a loner that I don't discuss opinions, and consider how others are feeling and why.

The opening post was someone who made a purchase and then had a problem with conscience. Is it not typical to have discussions when you feel a lapse of judgement and are looking for other views?

You've come across as if answers just happen in your head and couldn't care less about anything or anyone else. It isn't as though anyone is asking for a critique, or looking for approval as to what is right or wrong. Just opinions. That's what discussion is about.

What do think discussion forums are for? Indoctrination?

 

I'd like to know your reasons for making a post here just to say "who cares, do what you feel". 


Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
silva is offline  
#117 Old 03-14-2015, 10:17 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 1
Unhappy Sorry, what?????

Of course you shouldn't wear leather, it is a by-product of the meat industry!! I really think you need to think about your reasons for wanting to be vegetarian. Sorry, but seems really obvious to me.



[Moderator edited as it contravened VB rules. Leedsveg: Mod Team)

Last edited by leedsveg; 03-16-2015 at 02:55 AM.
Bobby is offline  
#118 Old 03-14-2015, 02:42 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 4,325
Moderator Post

I've moved this to the Compost Heap because reading some of the comments, that is the more appropriate place for this kind of thread where vegans (among others) are discussing the ethics of leather wearing with vegetarians. Almost 4 years after the original post, this still remains a contentious issue but being rude and disrespectful to other members is still against VB rules.


Leedsveg: Moderator Team
leedsveg is offline  
#119 Old 03-14-2015, 11:42 PM
Veggie Regular
 
rasitha.wijesekera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 551
Cows aren't killed for leather itself. If you are vegetarian it depends on you whether you want to avoid leather. I think being a vegan would warrant you to avoid leather though.
rasitha.wijesekera is offline  
#120 Old 03-15-2015, 05:56 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)
 
LedBoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 8,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by rasitha.wijesekera View Post
Cows aren't killed for leather itself. If you are vegetarian it depends on you whether you want to avoid leather. I think being a vegan would warrant you to avoid leather though.
The leather industry is disgusting. They will make bags, belts, and shoes out of the skin of anything. Gross description of one particularly revolting practice in spoilers:
Spoiler
Slink is leather made from the skin of unborn calves. It is particularly soft and is valued for use in making gloves. (From wiki)
LedBoots is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off