Conservatives: Who do you like for GOP nomination? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-14-2011, 07:42 PM

I realize this is an overwhemingly liberal board but I know there are a few conservative/moderates/libertarians, etc. out there who want a good opponent for Obama.

What do you guys think? And has anybody had any luck on finding any of the candidates positions on GMOs and limiting FDA power?

I'll be honest. I need to do more research and watch the debates but I'm hearing a lot about Herman Cain and Michelle Bachman.

Of course I've always loved Ron Paul. He may seem cooky to some people but sometimes we need things shaken up. Right now, our country is in dire need for a shake up. The media has always done a fantastic job of casting Ron Paul in "looney light," but perhaps people will be ready to hear his message this year. Who knows?

Who are your favorites?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-14-2011, 07:55 PM
Veggie Regular

My first choice would be Ron Paul. I also like Herman Cain and would support him if Paul doesn't make it and he does. Michele Bachman is too polarizing much like Palin and that will be more problematic than positive if she runs. I think she would be a good president she is a borderline libertarian.

I can't stand Romney and hope he is not nominateed, also glad Huckbee decided not to run, I would prefer either over Obama but neither would be much of an improvement, both RHINOs.

There's a couple of others that look promising, but they would not be my first or second choice. Trump would be about my 5th or 6th pick based on who is in the race now.... oh and Newt would be my 4th choice, he has a lot of history which is problematic but despite all the credit Clinton gets for the budget surplus it was the Republican lead house under Newt which actually presented the balanced budget which a reluctant Clinton signed.
#3 Old 05-14-2011, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by havocjohn View Post

My first choice would be Ron Paul. I also like Herman Cain and would support him if Paul doesn't make it and he does. Michele Bachman is too polarizing much like Palin and that will be more problematic than positive if she runs. I think she would be a good president she is a borderline libertarian.

I can't stand Romney and hope he is not nominateed, also glad Huckbee decided not to run, I would prefer either over Obama but neither would be much of an improvement, both RHINOs.

There's a couple of others that look promising, but they would not be my first or second choice. Trump would be about my 5th or 6th pick based on who is in the race now.... oh and Newt would be my 4th choice, he has a lot of history which is problematic but despite all the credit Clinton gets for the budget surplus it was the Republican lead house under Newt which actually presented the balanced budget which a reluctant Clinton signed.

Romney gets on my nerves too. Trump actually had some really good ideas. Too bad his big hair and attitude got in the way.

Ron Paul has always been my man. Whether he can win or not is another story. I love his positions on the FDA and the new bill to support raw milk farmers, (who are likely your organic farmers as well).
http://healthimpactnews.com/2011/ron...-milk-sellers/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-14-2011, 08:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRAVegetarian View Post

Romney gets on my nerves too. Trump actually had some really good ideas. Too bad his big hair and attitude got in the way.

Ron Paul has always been my man. Whether he can win or not is another story. I love his positions on the FDA and the new bill to support raw milk farmers, (who are likely your organic farmers as well).

I have liked Ron Paul for a long time I like most of his postions from ending the fed and the war on drugs to going back on a gold standard. Shrinking the size of the federal gov't, and our military footprint around the world, not to mention his belief in ending foreign aid to other nations, and he supports the 2nd amendment. Paul's the man and I hope enough Americans have finally awoken to the pitfalls we face as a nation to actually get him elected.

I will admit I disagree with him on killing Usama, I see no problem with that act, but I understand his reasoning, just don't agree with it on this instance.

I wouldn't count Trump out yet, despite his hair. He is the type when pushed he will push back, and he recently got embarressed (pushed) at that dinner. I don't think we have heard the last of him, once the show he has where he fires people is over (I have no idea what it's called and have never seen it) this season I believe he will be far more vocal than he was before the dinner. Granted he would not be one of my first choices but I would prefer him to most of the others at this point.
#5 Old 05-14-2011, 09:48 PM
Veggie Regular

I like Ron Paul too. Unfortunately, my endorsement is usually the kiss of death for a candidate.
#6 Old 05-14-2011, 09:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by julz View Post

I like Ron Paul too. Unfortunately, my endorsement is usually the kiss of death for a candidate.

Then endorse Obama!
#7 Old 05-14-2011, 09:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I think she would be a good president she is a borderline libertarian.

Yes, Michele Bachman would be a good president.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#8 Old 05-14-2011, 09:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

Yes, Michele Bachman would be a good president.

definitly a lot better than the joker in office now.
#9 Old 05-14-2011, 10:45 PM
Veggie Regular

I wouldn't call myself conservative as I don't adhere to group labeling, but Ron Paul is running as "Republican" whatever that may mean to anyone... and he's the only politician I've ever given any credibility.
Conservative, Liberal, party-line, whatever... names don't really matter to me; What does matter to me is the message Ron Paul is putting out there about getting our rights back. They've been trampled on for the last few decades ever since the corporations got a foothold. Now Monsanto gets to do whatever it wants to our crops, the FDA gets our veggies irradiated, the federal reserve steals trillions from the hard working people of the country and when asked where the money goes they just shrug, all the meanwhile we're being policed and treated like terrorists with no reason of suspicion and the constitution is being used as toilet paper.

I didn't hear about his bill to help support raw/organic farmers, but that makes me love him all the much more (I'm vegan and don't drink milk, but I would love to see the local raw/organic milk companies be given support over the big corporate milk industry)--edit: He probably heard of the Amish farmers who got an FBI hit for selling raw milk and decided to do something about it.

If Dr. Ronald Paul, who campaigns for LOVE in his rEVOLution, doesn't even make it out of the primaries I will pretty much give up hope that things will get any better. I'll invest in gold and look to get a nice underground bunker for this whole fiasco to roll over. As it is now I am considering registering to vote just to vote for the guy.

Fear is simply the consequence of the acceptance of ignorance; reject ignorance and accept knowledge-- with knowledge all fears are relinquished and the light of truth within shines through to guide your path.
#10 Old 05-14-2011, 10:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0mmy View Post

I wouldn't call myself conservative as I don't adhere to group labeling, but Ron Paul is running as "Republican" whatever that may mean to anyone... and he's the only politician I've ever given any credibility.
Conservative, Liberal, party-line, whatever... names don't really matter to me; What does matter to me is the message Ron Paul is putting out there about getting our rights back. They've been trampled on for the last few decades ever since the corporations got a foothold. Now Monsanto gets to do whatever it wants to our crops, the FDA gets our veggies irradiated, the federal reserve steals trillions from the hard working people of the country and when asked where the money goes they just shrug, all the meanwhile we're being policed and treated like terrorists with no reason of suspicion and the constitution is being used as toilet paper.

And do you think corporate practices and accountability would somehow be better if it was all left up to the free market, with no government monitoring anything and placing no constraints whatsoever on what can be done to the environment? Do you trust the consumers that much -- that despite any false advertising and any desire for convenience, they would end up supporting the most environmentally sustainable corporations, and Adam Smith's invisible hand would gently guide society into happiness?

"and I stand

upon a mountain

#11 Old 05-14-2011, 10:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

And do you think corporate practices and accountability would somehow be better if it was all left up to the free market, with no government monitoring anything and placing no constraints whatsoever on what can be done to the environment? Do you trust the consumers that much -- that despite any false advertising and any desire for convenience, they would end up supporting the most environmentally sustainable corporations, and Adam Smith's invisible hand would gently guide society into happiness?

Yes cause gov't control of society has turned out so well for the citizens of those nations.
#12 Old 05-14-2011, 10:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Yes cause gov't control of society has turned out so well for the citizens of those nations.

In some ways it hasn't, in many ways it has. Which is why the libertarian ideology is throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

#13 Old 05-14-2011, 11:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

In some ways it hasn't, in many ways it has. Which is why the libertarian ideology is throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

How do you figure; the US was founded on the principles of a limited central gov't, and until FDR came along and expotential expanded the power of the central gov't this nation did fine. Where we really went wrong is propping up western europe after WW2 and joining the UN. We should have never taken on the role of the world's policeman to prop up western europe for the last 7 decades.

The only reason your idea of central gov't having so much power in western europe has even had a sembalance of working is because the US has supported you. Even the Chinese don't follow the Marxist dogma as ridigly as it once did.

If we ever wake up and elect limited gov't people who believe in lowering our role in world affairs and letting europe stand on its own two feet I beleive we would see the esclation of nation state failures similar to Greece across europe, which would leave Germany as the most powerful nation on the contient again... odd that.
#14 Old 05-15-2011, 01:25 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

How do you figure; the US was founded on the principles of a limited central gov't, and until FDR came along and expotential expanded the power of the central gov't this nation did fine. Where we really went wrong is propping up western europe after WW2 and joining the UN. We should have never taken on the role of the world's policeman to prop up western europe for the last 7 decades.

The only reason your idea of central gov't having so much power in western europe has even had a sembalance of working is because the US has supported you. Even the Chinese don't follow the Marxist dogma as ridigly as it once did.

If we ever wake up and elect limited gov't people who believe in lowering our role in world affairs and letting europe stand on its own two feet I beleive we would see the esclation of nation state failures similar to Greece across europe, which would leave Germany as the most powerful nation on the contient again... odd that.

It seems that some US vs. Europe grandstanding mixed with playing a paranoid Nostradamus again results in quite a confused outcome.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

#15 Old 05-15-2011, 01:55 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Sounds plausible on the surface, I'd want more details though. Although one only needs to look at modern times and compare events now to events about 100 years ago prior to government intervention and see just how much the environment has been impacted by government intervention such as the Department of Agriculture, EPA, FDA, and don't forget the ETC. (lol).

Yes, those agencies are in bed with companies like Monsanto and officials being bought out by corporations like the milk and meat industry. Now we have laws that force people to pasteurize, irradiate, and use excessive pesticides... first they turn a blind eye to GMO and then they tell the companies they can regulate themselves. The scheme is to subsidize the companies that go along with this so the price for food is driven so high the farmers are forced to obey by these standards which result in no choice for us as the consumer.
I wouldn't say the free market is perfect, but it was a lot better back before all this government interference.

Where are we going with this, does this observation make me conservative? I just want to be able to afford some organic veggies, is that too much to ask? X^D

Fear is simply the consequence of the acceptance of ignorance; reject ignorance and accept knowledge-- with knowledge all fears are relinquished and the light of truth within shines through to guide your path.
#16 Old 05-15-2011, 09:09 AM

Quote:

I wouldn't count Trump out yet, despite his hair. He is the type when pushed he will push back, and he recently got embarressed (pushed) at that dinner. I don't think we have heard the last of him, once the show he has where he fires people is over (I have no idea what it's called and have never seen it) this season I believe he will be far more vocal than he was before the dinner. Granted he would not be one of my first choices but I would prefer him to most of the others at this point.

Trump bothers me in the same way Obama bothers me. I just don't feel anything when they speak. For example, if you listen to a Ron Paul speech, you can hear the conviction in his voice and he's not playing politics-he's speaking from his heart. When you hear Trump, I just hear a cocky guy speaking with no heart, they're almost cold. Obama strikes me the same way and Bush did at times too.

Don't get me wrong, I think Trump is smart. I just don't trust him as person for some reason.

Now Ron Paul, I tend to trust more as a person. And Herman Cain I'm going to have to do more research on before I can say whether I like him or not. But I know that quite a few of my good ol' country boy friends have really been talking it up and getting excited about Herman Cain.
#17 Old 05-15-2011, 09:21 AM

Quote:

I didn't hear about his bill to help support raw/organic farmers, but that makes me love him all the much more (I'm vegan and don't drink milk, but I would love to see the local raw/organic milk companies be given support over the big corporate milk industry)--edit: He probably heard of the Amish farmers who got an FBI hit for selling raw milk and decided to do something about it.

Quote:
Federal agents watched the home closely for a year, gathering evidence. Then, in a pre-dawn raid, armed members from three agencies swooped in.

No, this is not a retelling of the lightning U.S. commando attack in Abbottabad, Pakistan, that killed terrorist leader Osama bin Laden. Rather, the target of the raid late last month by U.S. marshals, a state police trooper and inspectors from the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) was Amish farmer Dan Allgyer of Kinzers, Pa. His so-called “crime” involved nothing more than providing unpasteurized, or raw, dairy milk to eager consumers here in the Washington area.

On May 11, Rep. Ron Paul, Texas Republican, introduced H.R. 1830, the Unpasteurized Milk Bill, which would end the FDA’s ban and permit the sale of raw milk across state lines.

What I don't get is it says "armed members from three agencies," and then lists the FDA as one of the three agencies. WTF do FDA agents need guns for? Really? They actually did a year long sting...... I guess our federal agents really don't have anything better to do. Either that or they're in bed with Monsanto/dairy/big ag as well.

I used to get raw milk from my local health food store from a local farm. It was the best milk I've ever tasted. No hormones or chemicals. I switched to almond milk but still support the "raw milkers" if done humanely.

I think the FDA is one of the largest threats to organic food and the healthy lifestyle.

I do believe that Ron Paul wants to get rid of the FDA. That's who gets my vote. :-)
#18 Old 05-15-2011, 10:39 AM
Veggie Regular

Pushing the pendulum from one extreme to the other will not solve anything. If you think the consumer/tax payer is getting screwed under the current system, you don't even want to imagine a world with no gov't regulation.

Unregulated free market capitalism will lead to more unsafe food, more worker exploitation, more aircraft crashes, lower quaility products, monopolies, higher prices, investment scams, Wall street risk taking, price fixing, corporate collusion, no education standards, and will result in the shrinking of the middle class.

Corps will take full advantage of it, with no regard to the consumer/tax payer. It's not the Utopia/solution to all the country's ills you think it will be. Consumers are not in complete control.

Be careful what you wish for.

Happiness is not the result of a mathematical equation comparing the good times and bad times someone has had. It is a state of mind.
-nomad888
#19 Old 05-15-2011, 11:21 AM
Veggie Regular

Jon Huntsman - he's coming back from china this month and we'll hear more from him soon.
Paul Ryan - brass balls.

* This post may contain pork, beef and fingers of undocumented workers. This post was manufactured in a facility that processes peanuts.
#20 Old 05-15-2011, 12:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beancounter View Post

Be careful what you wish for.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. People are so used to government intervention they cannot imagine a society without it. Personally, I would love it if the department of education went away. They cause more problems and do nothing to enhance education.
#21 Old 05-15-2011, 12:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I wouldn't worry about it too much. People are so used to government intervention they cannot imagine a society without it. Personally, I would love it if the department of education went away. They cause more problems and do nothing to enhance education.

I can understand that. I'm sure there are plenty of department of ____ that don't add any value to society relative to the resources they consume, but to take a broad brush and blindly getting rid of them all is just asking for trouble.

Happiness is not the result of a mathematical equation comparing the good times and bad times someone has had. It is a state of mind.
-nomad888
#22 Old 05-15-2011, 12:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Things like that need to be left up to the states. In a country of over 300 million, the centralization of services is almost never a good thing.
#23 Old 05-15-2011, 12:53 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm not conservative, but I've been disappointed with Obama.

However, the only Rep I would be happy to see in office is Romney.

-nomad888
#24 Old 05-15-2011, 12:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Things like that need to be left up to the states. In a country of over 300 million, the centralization of services is almost never a good thing.

I agree with that except there is at least one US state that wants to get rid of evolution and start teaching creationism instead...

Some people may say "well that's what the people wanted". Maybe the majority, but not everyone....and not everyone who disagrees with a state's majority can easily relocate elsewhere.

-nomad888
#25 Old 05-15-2011, 01:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

What I don't get is it says "armed members from three agencies," and then lists the FDA as one of the three agencies. WTF do FDA agents need guns for? Really?

Just goes to show exactly what kind of "protection" operation they do for us. Did you know there are IRS agents with guns as well? I'm wondering just how many federal agencies don't have armed agents to enforce our "safety"/"protection".

Quote:
I think the FDA is one of the largest threats to organic food and the healthy lifestyle.
I do believe that Ron Paul wants to get rid of the FDA. That's who gets my vote. :-)

I'm really liking everything you're writing :^]

Quote:

Pushing the pendulum from one extreme to the other will not solve anything. If you think the consumer/tax payer is getting screwed under the current system, you don't even want to imagine a world with no gov't regulation.

It seemed to fair just fine for hundreds of years. It hasn't been until recently when the gov't intervened that our quality of life got shot. So should I really let fear control my life and hand over my liberties?
Franklin said it best, those who give up liberty for security deserve neither.
[/QUOTE]

#26 Old 05-15-2011, 02:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

It seemed to fair just fine for hundreds of years. It hasn't been until recently when the gov't intervened that our quality of life got shot. So should I really let fear control my life and hand over my liberties?
Franklin said it best, those who give up liberty for security deserve neither.

[/QUOTE]

Life was a lot different back then. There is just no comparison.

Are you sure you want no gov't protections? For example, the FDA has issues, but who would make sure drugs are reasonably safe? unless you have a degree in medicine or chemistry, it won't be too easy to determine ...

No gov't regs mean you will be the pharma co's Guinea pig.... Every time you take a med you're playing Russian Roulette.

-nomad888
#27 Old 05-15-2011, 02:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

No gov't regs mean you will be the pharma co's Guinea pig.... Every time you take a med you're playing Russian Roulette.

Given that the "gov't regs" require exploiting animals who have nothing to do with the existence of human diseases and ailments, the pharmaceutical industry isn't really the best place from which to find an argument in favor of gov't regulations.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

#28 Old 05-15-2011, 02:39 PM
Red
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Trump bothers me in the same way Obama bothers me. I just don't feel anything when they speak.

re: Trump.

I do. I feel like he's about to try selling me a time-share in a vacation condo somewhere.
#29 Old 05-15-2011, 03:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Given that the "gov't regs" require exploiting animals who have nothing to do with the existence of human diseases and ailments, the pharmaceutical industry isn't really the best place from which to find an argument in favor of gov't regulations.

I didn't realize the issue was veg*n-centric.

-nomad888
#30 Old 05-15-2011, 03:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I didn't realize the issue was veg*n-centric.

*shrug* I think gov't regulations that specifically require violence to be committed are not a good example to use when defending regulations.

Of course, that doesn't mean that I believe there should be no government monitoring of consumer products -- I absolutely do not -- just that the pharmaceutical example isn't a very good one.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page