Montana Dad Gives Cancer-Stricken Boy Marijuana Behind Doctor's Back - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 Old 05-07-2011, 02:03 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Rotoshave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,744
Quote:
Doctors said 2-year-old Cash Hyde would likely die after they found a stage 4 brain tumor surrounding his optic nerve just a year ago this week.

And he nearly did. After being subjected to seven different chemotherapy drugs, the little boy from Missoula, Montana suffered septic shock, a stroke and pulmonary hemorrhaging.

Cash was so sick he went 40 days without eating. His organs were threatening to shut down. His father, Mike Hyde, intervened, slipping cannabis oil into his son's feeding tube.

In Montana, medical marijuana is legal. Hyde had used it himself to treat his attention deficit disorder. When Cash was diagnosed in May 2010, Mike got him a marijuana card and purchased the drug from his own supplier.

Cash, now 3, made a miraculous recovery at Primary Children's Hospital in Salt Lake City, but his father's bold action -- taken behind doctors' backs -- has raised serious questions about a parent's role in medical treatment.

Hyde said he believes it was the marijuana oil that helped Cash eat again and that the drug -- illegal in most states, including Utah, can cure cancer.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/montana...ry?id=13529490

"It is far better to be happy than to have your bodies act as graveyards for animals. Accordingly, the apostle Matthew partook of seeds, nuts and vegetables, without flesh"- Clement of Alexandria
Rotoshave is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 05-07-2011, 03:24 PM
Newbie
 
GhostUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 0
I am one of the crazies who believes that doctors do NOT always know best. Infact, I feel many times they make our health worse.

As a parent I cannot imagine seeing my children dying in front of me. If I thought doing something drastic like giving them canibus oil would help them then I would do it.

The doctors are telling the Dad that the cancer has a 50-80% chance it will come back so I'm hoping the Dad is doing some serious research on a Vegan diet and cancer-fighting foods.

A 2 year old going through chemo? The thought is making me sick right now. That poor child. :-(
GhostUser is offline  
#3 Old 05-07-2011, 03:32 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,160
I don't blame the dad at all for doing whatever he could to try and save his son, but I highly, highly doubt it was the cannabis oil that cured him.
Earthling is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#4 Old 05-07-2011, 03:34 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Digger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 3,897
If it was my boy I would do anything in my power to try and save him... legal or not.
Digger is offline  
#5 Old 05-07-2011, 03:40 PM
Veggie Regular
 
sequoia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 5,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by NRAVegetarian View Post

I am one of the crazies who believes that doctors do NOT always know best. Infact, I feel many times they make our health worse.

As a parent I cannot imagine seeing my children dying in front of me. If I thought doing something drastic like giving them canibus oil would help them then I would do it.

The doctors are telling the Dad that the cancer has a 50-80% chance it will come back so I'm hoping the Dad is doing some serious research on a Vegan diet and cancer-fighting foods.

A 2 year old going through chemo? The thought is making me sick right now. That poor child. :-(

I agree.

"If you are lonely when you're alone, you are in bad company."
Jean-Paul Sartre
sequoia is offline  
#6 Old 05-07-2011, 04:19 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Rotoshave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,744
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthling View Post

I don't blame the dad at all for doing whatever he could to try and save his son, but I highly, highly doubt it was the cannabis oil that cured him.

I think its more likely the oil stimulated the poor kids appetite, soothed his nausea, and allowed him to eat and regain strength again.

"It is far better to be happy than to have your bodies act as graveyards for animals. Accordingly, the apostle Matthew partook of seeds, nuts and vegetables, without flesh"- Clement of Alexandria
Rotoshave is offline  
#7 Old 05-07-2011, 04:20 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Digger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 3,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotoshave View Post

I think its more likely the oil stimulated the poor kids appetite, soothed his nausea, and allowed him to eat and regain strength again.

Yes.
Digger is offline  
#8 Old 05-08-2011, 03:16 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 841
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger View Post

If it was my boy I would do anything in my power to try and save him... legal or not.

Exactly. And if my kid was ill, then I would be constantly questioning the doctors also, as I can say in my case that they have been wrong so many times.
Mia82 is offline  
#9 Old 05-08-2011, 03:30 AM
Newbie
 
greendaygirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 85
Good for that dad. I pray the kid doesn't have to face it again.
greendaygirl is offline  
#10 Old 05-08-2011, 04:58 PM
Veggie Regular
 
fadeaway1289's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 10,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger View Post

If it was my boy I would do anything in my power to try and save him... legal or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotoshave View Post

I think its more likely the oil stimulated the poor kids appetite, soothed his nausea, and allowed him to eat and regain strength again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mia82 View Post

Exactly. And if my kid was ill, then I would be constantly questioning the doctors also, as I can say in my case that they have been wrong so many times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendaygirl View Post

Good for that dad. I pray the kid doesn't have to face it again.

Yes to all of this.

When my father was diagnosed with leukemia the doctors all told him he only had 6 months to live. He ended up surviving 6 years. I'm grateful that the drs were wrong and that he only needed to take chemo pills and not have intensive painful chemo treatments.
fadeaway1289 is offline  
#11 Old 05-08-2011, 11:16 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Wolfie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 6,850
I don't blame the dad. Medical marijuana shouldn't be illegal in any state anyway. It's long been proven to help nausea and pain when nothing else can. I don't think it cured the boy's cancer though.
Wolfie is offline  
#12 Old 05-09-2011, 08:12 AM
Veggie Regular
 
stasher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 596
I'd like to say i'd do the same for my kid, but because my son doesn't like marijuana, i would have a dilemma on my hands.
stasher is offline  
#13 Old 05-10-2011, 02:29 PM
Veggie Regular
 
vegkid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: In the depths of N'Kai
Posts: 3,910
As everyone has said, I don't blame the dad, but I don't think the pot really helped the child heal. As... who was it... Rotoshave? said, it makes sense that it would have made him hungry and want to eat more, but not cure the cancer. If that kid was able to eat some food after not eating for more than a month, that alone would do wonders for his system.

Enjoying the view over at http://forum.veggieviews.com/

vegkid is offline  
#14 Old 05-10-2011, 03:19 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Shauna_m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 580
If he had a feeding tube, why did he need an appetite to eat enough? The POINT of a feeding tube is to feed a person who can't get enough nourishment otherwise.

I'm not against medical marijuana in any form for any one of any age, but this doesn't make any sense.
Shauna_m is offline  
#15 Old 05-10-2011, 03:40 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shauna_m View Post

If he had a feeding tube, why did he need an appetite to eat enough? The POINT of a feeding tube is to feed a person who can't get enough nourishment otherwise.

I'm not against medical marijuana in any form for any one of any age, but this doesn't make any sense.

He had a feeding tube because he couldn't eat enough calories on his own, so he was forced to have a feeding tube or he would die. Cannabis oil helped the boy because it increased his appetite and reduced pain. If he would not have gotten an appetite back he most likely would still be on a feeding tube, or dead by now.
luvourmother is offline  
#16 Old 05-10-2011, 03:47 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Shauna_m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvourmother View Post

He had a feeding tube because he couldn't eat enough calories on his own, so he was forced to have a feeding tube or he would die. Cannabis oil helped the boy because it increased his appetite and reduced pain. If he would not have gotten an appetite back he most likely would still be on a feeding tube, or dead by now.


I know why he had the feeding tube. My daughter would die without hers. She will have it for life. Which is NOT a horrible thing. He wasn't lacking in nutrition. You can stick anything in there. Special formulas, blended up whole foods, meds, water, beer if you want. Even if the nausea was overwhelming, they can insert the tube into the jejunum to prevent vomiting.

The pain thing I get. But the cannabis didn't prevent him from starving. What he couldn't eat by mouth went in the tube. When the cancer goes away and the person goes off chemo, you remove the tube. Easy peasy.

I'm not saying the dad did anything wrong, I'm just saying it doesn't add up. If they had refused to insert a feeding tube, THEN I would understand. The cannabis would have helped recover his appetite and prevented him from starving. But that's not the case.
Shauna_m is offline  
#17 Old 05-10-2011, 04:13 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,587
This is why:

Quote:
Doctors had inserted a gastric feeding tube to administer cancer-fighting drugs and to help with his nutrition, but when August came the family experienced another medical "rollercoaster ride," according to Hyde.

"The G-tube burned out the inside of his stomach," said Hyde. "He didn't even have the will to eat."

By September, Cash had stopped eating for 40 days. "He was suffering terribly, and the doctors said it was the best they could do for him," said Hyde, who asked doctors to stop the chemotherapy drugs.

luvourmother is offline  
#18 Old 05-10-2011, 04:28 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Shauna_m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 580
Sorry, I just think some info got mixed up somewhere...whoever did the reporting. I've never heard of a g-tube burning out the inside of anyone's stomach. I know kids who've had tubes for years...their whole lives. If the stomach gets irritated, you can change the type of tube, try a j-tube, insert an NG or NJ tube. Use the PICC for nutrition. Chemo patients often get PICC lines.

Kids like my daughter have tubes their whole lives. Sometimes they have to be fed by TPN eventually, but that's almost always because of gut shut-down, not because their tube "burned up their stomach". They keep their tubes for meds and stuff. It makes no sense that a child couldn't be fed short-term through a tube.

It's possible the misinformation came from the docs. The docs figured the boy would die anyway and didn't want to bother trying a different tube or whatever. In which case I give props to the dad for going all out to save his kid's life. But the story still doesn't add up.
Shauna_m is offline  
#19 Old 05-10-2011, 04:59 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Wolfie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 6,850
Might have been the chemo drugs that burned the inside of his stomach.
Wolfie is offline  
#20 Old 05-10-2011, 05:12 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,587
well to me it seem blatantly obvious that the cannabis oil helped his recovery tremendously, whether it just increased his appetite or actually aided in diminishing the tumors the outcome was great and hopefully this will lead to more studies and clinical trials involving cannabis and cancerous tumor reduction.
luvourmother is offline  
#21 Old 05-10-2011, 06:33 PM
Super Moderator
 
Werewolf Girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 16,664
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvourmother View Post

well to me it seem blatantly obvious that the cannabis oil helped his recovery tremendously, whether it just increased his appetite or actually aided in diminishing the tumors the outcome was great and hopefully this will lead to more studies and clinical trials involving cannabis and cancerous tumor reduction.


"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
Werewolf Girl is offline  
#22 Old 05-10-2011, 06:39 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,056
i don't see how there could be much doubt that cannabis is very useful for stimulating appetite and reducing nausea. the problem we're up against is the large pharm doesn't want you growing and using your own herbal remedies, regardless of how effective they are.
papayamon is offline  
#23 Old 05-10-2011, 06:42 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Rotoshave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,744
Quote:
Originally Posted by papayamon View Post

i don't see how there could be much doubt that cannabis is very useful for stimulating appetite and reducing nausea. the problem we're up against is the large pharm doesn't want you growing and using your own herbal remedies, regardless of how effective they are.

Yeah, there very vested in dissuading people from using herbal remedies; because they cannot patent those and thus they make no money off of them.

"It is far better to be happy than to have your bodies act as graveyards for animals. Accordingly, the apostle Matthew partook of seeds, nuts and vegetables, without flesh"- Clement of Alexandria
Rotoshave is offline  
#24 Old 05-10-2011, 09:07 PM
Veggie Regular
 
ElaineV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 4,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotoshave View Post

Yeah, there very vested in dissuading people from using herbal remedies; because they cannot patent those and thus they make no money off of them.

They could patent herbs if they wanted to. Monsanto patented corn, afterall, and there are thousands of patents for all kinds of life forms.
Patents aren't really the issue.
ElaineV is offline  
#25 Old 05-10-2011, 09:35 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,056
well, if people could use marijuana, for example, they'd sure sell a lot less anti nausea meds like phenergan and zofran. the legalization of marijauna whould hit big pharm hard below the belt.
papayamon is offline  
#26 Old 05-11-2011, 06:48 AM
Newbie
 
GhostUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by papayamon View Post

the problem we're up against is the large pharm doesn't want you growing and using your own herbal remedies, regardless of how effective they are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotoshave View Post

Yeah, there very vested in dissuading people from using herbal remedies; because they cannot patent those and thus they make no money off of them.

Agree. And Big Pharma is very effective in lobbying our officials and goverment agencies.
GhostUser is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off