Marijuana - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 59Likes

#31 Old 05-02-2011, 07:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Weed's fine. Certainly no worse than alcohol.

I prefer booze, though...mostly because it doesn't smell like burning ass hair.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 05-02-2011, 07:58 PM
Ira
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbivorous B.I.G. View Post

Weed's fine. Certainly no worse than alcohol.

I prefer booze, though...mostly because it doesn't smell like burning ass hair.

but it smells gross in the morning
#33 Old 05-02-2011, 08:09 PM
Veggie Regular

As you already know, Adam, I'm a complete libertarian on this one: I definitely support legalization of MJ and mushrooms, and I'm pretty sure I'd support legalization of all recreational drugs. First and foremost, I believe people should have the freedom to make their own choices as far as their own bodies are concerned. It is not the place of the government to decide whether I should smoke a joint or do heroin. Secondly, while I am willing to listen to arguments about why it might be necessary to limit some of our freedoms for the sake of the common good, I don't think that in this case a good case can be made for drugs being illegal being in the public good. It seems to be in the interests of the larger drug manufacturers/smugglers, and big business that profits from spending to maintain prisons and law enforcement. It does not seem to be in the interests of the public at large; it increases crime and hikes up taxes, in addition to being a limit to our personal freedoms.

Direct action is always the clamorer, the initiator, through which the great sum of indifferentists become aware that oppression is getting intolerable. - Voltairine de Cleyre
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 05-02-2011, 08:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegan Wannabe View Post

It's a miracle plant and can probably replace most chemically created prescribed drugs. If it is researched properly, of course. But that wont happen for a good loooong time.

Non addictive, non cancerous, not a single death in recorded history, and it makes people happy. Not to mention the revenue it would create if taxed and legalized.

I'm always extremely skeptical of these "magic bullet" claims for any substance. I don't think there's any such thing as ambrosia that cures all diseases. Case in point, people have been smoking cannabis pretty much since the advent of civilization, and to my knowledge there are no immortal people walking around. I'm sure that if properly researched and applied it would have a practical application, like any other drug, and has the potential to help people, but if you're gonna spout out these "miracle" claims you're gonna have to provide some evidence. I just don't see it. I completely agree with the concept that it most likely has strong valid medical applications, but the human body is very complicated and there's going to be different cures for different ailments.

As for your claim of it being non cancerous, I guess that would depend on the method of ingestion. The act of smoking itself has the potential to increase a person's likelihood of developing lung cancer. It doesn't even have to have tobacco or any other dried plant matter in it. You could just roll up the paper and smoke it, and the direct inhalation into the lungs of burning paper would be considered a carcinogen. So if you ate the cannabis in something or used a strong filter like a bong I guess it wouldn't be carcinogenic, but smoking it like a cigarette would definitely be. Not because it's pot but because it's smoking. It's the method of ingestion, not the substance. I personally wouldn't smoke anything, even if I weren't asthmatic. If I were ever very sick and cannabis had been medically evaluated as being a cure or pain alleviate for whatever I had, I'd take it like any other medicine until I no longer needed it, then stop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoia View Post

Well the Proposition to make it legal in California was an epic failure. I think that those who were in favor of it passing forgot that stoners can't really be relied upon to get themselves to the polls to vote I don't know...it's not really my thing. I have very weak lungs because I had pneumonia a lot as a baby, so inhaling smoke of any kind isn't good for me. But I don't care if other people do it.

On the other hand...brownies.

The proposition failed only by a very narrow margin, mostly because of a campaign of disinformation and scare tactics funded by right wing conservative groups.

The proponents were from various backgrounds, including one group of law enforcement officials and former law enforcement officials called Law Enforcement Against Prohibition. Your silly stereotypes belong in the seventies, not the modern era. The movement to decriminalize and eventually legalize cannabis is not some silly stoner initiative. It is a serious, long term campaign with teeth, and it will eventually pass. In fact I'd say it's very likely to pass the very next time it's proposed. Public support for it continues to increase dramatically every new time it comes up.

Tam! RUGH!
#35 Old 05-02-2011, 08:25 PM
Veggie Regular

#36 Old 05-03-2011, 12:03 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluejeans84 View Post

Agreed.

Also agreed.

I'm have no clue as to why people think it's harmless. My dad did drugs, and the affects were horrible.

I'm sorry about your dad, but I'm sure he wasn't just smoking pot. I barely even consider it a drug, to be honest.

Our Generation has had no Great war, no Great Depression. Our war is spiritual. Our depression is our lives.
#37 Old 05-03-2011, 12:21 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh James xVx View Post

I'm always extremely skeptical of these "magic bullet" claims for any substance. I don't think there's any such thing as ambrosia that cures all diseases. Case in point, people have been smoking cannabis pretty much since the advent of civilization, and to my knowledge there are no immortal people walking around. I'm sure that if properly researched and applied it would have a practical application, like any other drug, and has the potential to help people, but if you're gonna spout out these "miracle" claims you're gonna have to provide some evidence. I just don't see it. I completely agree with the concept that it most likely has strong valid medical applications, but the human body is very complicated and there's going to be different cures for different ailments.

As for your claim of it being non cancerous, I guess that would depend on the method of ingestion. The act of smoking itself has the potential to increase a person's likelihood of developing lung cancer. It doesn't even have to have tobacco or any other dried plant matter in it. You could just roll up the paper and smoke it, and the direct inhalation into the lungs of burning paper would be considered a carcinogen. So if you ate the cannabis in something or used a strong filter like a bong I guess it wouldn't be carcinogenic, but smoking it like a cigarette would definitely be. Not because it's pot but because it's smoking. It's the method of ingestion, not the substance. I personally wouldn't smoke anything, even if I weren't asthmatic. If I were ever very sick and cannabis had been medically evaluated as being a cure or pain alleviate for whatever I had, I'd take it like any other medicine until I no longer needed it, then stop.

The proposition failed only by a very narrow margin, mostly because of a campaign of disinformation and scare tactics funded by right wing conservative groups.

The proponents were from various backgrounds, including one group of law enforcement officials and former law enforcement officials called Law Enforcement Against Prohibition. Your silly stereotypes belong in the seventies, not the modern era. The movement to decriminalize and eventually legalize cannabis is not some silly stoner initiative. It is a serious, long term campaign with teeth, and it will eventually pass. In fact I'd say it's very likely to pass the very next time it's proposed. Public support for it continues to increase dramatically every new time it comes up.

Well on a personally level it's helped me immensely with anxiety, stress and insomnia. So there's that. And I'm sure if you did a little researching you would find that it also helps with pain management, nausea, ADD...but like I said, it needs to be better researched. But unfortunately, because of the ignorance and stereotypes surrounding it, serious research takes a back seat to fear mongering.

AS far as carcinogens go - VAPORIZER or you bake into some lovely brownies.

Here's a semi no-biased link, (I mean it's FOX news for god's sake...lol):

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2010/1...its-marijuana/

I'm sure there are more reputable links out there, but it's 3:20 in the am, and I should be snooooozing.

ok, one more quicky:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/...n4844665.shtml

Our Generation has had no Great war, no Great Depression. Our war is spiritual. Our depression is our lives.
#38 Old 05-03-2011, 12:30 AM
Veggie Regular

Drinking bleach is unlikely to cause you to steal, attack people, mug someone etc, what with the likeliehood of hospitalisation and death afterwards. My city has a very high crime rate and by far the majority of crimes being committed are by alcohol and drug (usually heroin) dependants.

Quote:

People can always choose not to become dependent on these substances, as you and I should know more than most people here.

There's no reason to stop at decriminalization, and there's no reason to stop at marijuana. Someone should be able to go to a clinic and get heroin if they want it. Why not? I could go to the grocery store, buy bleach, and drink it until I die if I chose to. It would be extremely stupid, but it's always been legal.

#39 Old 05-03-2011, 12:34 AM
Veggie Regular

Marijuana can also occasionally cause quite serious psychological affects and can be addictive in the same way that chocolate cake is addictive... You just want more. I don't see it as necessarily being more dangerous than alcohol, but if it was legalised I think there should be certain times and places to buy and use it, the same as alcohol.
#40 Old 05-03-2011, 02:31 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegansarawr View Post

Weed doesn't have the same physically addictive properties as tobacco and alcohol. Also alcohol and tobacco have much high tissue toxicity. Alcohol also has a higher behavioral toxicity.
That being said there are many studies which show that legality does not affect the usage rates of drugs once so ever. This goes for any drug, alcohol, tobacco, weed, heroin. Since HR clinic have opened the usage of heroin and crack have not gone up, its not people are going to say "Oh its legal now? Well now I'm going to try it." If legality did affect the rates people use there would be the same amount of crack heads as stoners.

I'm quite aware that weed has practically no addiction rate physically, but I know a lot of people whose lives are ruined by the stuff psychologically, where it is used as a crutch and I don't know a lot MORE people who I do know are exploited in the production of the stuff due to criminal enterprise being the major supplier in my area. I don't want to support rape and murder gangs, and I would be a lot easier on people that smoke something they've grown themselves.
Tom likes this.

In this grand illusion of entitlement to life / Our 'need' is a mask for our greed and it's not right /
We are executioners who parade ourselves as kings / As selfish and deluded as the blood-bathed Bathory. ~Kingdom, 'Bathory' xVx
#41 Old 05-03-2011, 04:15 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Well on a personally level it's helped me immensely with anxiety, stress and insomnia.

I've seen it have the exact opposite on people when it comes to anxiety, stress, and insomnia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky_charm View Post

Marijuana can also occasionally cause quite serious psychological affects and can be addictive in the same way that chocolate cake is addictive... You just want more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappa View Post

I'm quite aware that weed has practically no addiction rate physically, but I know a lot of people whose lives are ruined by the stuff psychologically, where it is used as a crutch .

+1
#42 Old 05-03-2011, 04:28 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky_charm View Post

Marijuana can also occasionally cause quite serious psychological affects and can be addictive in the same way that chocolate cake is addictive... You just want more. I don't see it as necessarily being more dangerous than alcohol, but if it was legalised I think there should be certain times and places to buy and use it, the same as alcohol.

And for some people, it can reduce their anxiety so much that they can live normal lives with less reliance on medication. It effects people differently, and for some it is a miracle drug. The criminalization of marijuana harms far, far, far more people than it would ever help.
#43 Old 05-03-2011, 08:30 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Well on a personally level it's helped me immensely with anxiety, stress and insomnia. So there's that. And I'm sure if you did a little researching you would find that it also helps with pain management, nausea, ADD...but like I said, it needs to be better researched. But unfortunately, because of the ignorance and stereotypes surrounding it, serious research takes a back seat to fear mongering.

AS far as carcinogens go - VAPORIZER or you bake into some lovely brownies.

Here's a semi no-biased link, (I mean it's FOX news for god's sake...lol):

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2010/1...its-marijuana/

I'm sure there are more reputable links out there, but it's 3:20 in the am, and I should be snooooozing.

ok, one more quicky:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/...n4844665.shtml

I'm part of the campaign to legalize cannabis, as I said and which you're know if you did just a little bit of research (i.e. reading my damn posts in this thread). You're completely ignoring what I actually say and replying to things that I don't say. Even if cannabis has a positive effect on ten physical ailments, there are thousands of different physical ailments the human body can potentially suffer from. I'm simply pointing out the BS logic that there's any such thing as a magical ambrosia that heals everything. If you use language like "miracle drug" you're gonna get called out on that by rational people. Get used to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by delicioso View Post

I heard Lady Gaga say that she smokes pot before sitting down to write her songs.

That explains a few things.

Tam! RUGH!
#44 Old 05-03-2011, 08:37 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by katt View Post

And for some people, it can reduce their anxiety so much that they can live normal lives with less reliance on medication. It effects people differently, and for some it is a miracle drug. The criminalization of marijuana harms far, far, far more people than it would ever help.

Ty, ty.
#45 Old 05-03-2011, 08:40 AM
Veggie Regular

Sometimes anxiety is a good thing. It was hard wired into our evolution for a reason as a survival mechanic.

Besides, I find a lot of personal massage helps with a lot of these mental issues people say cannabis does, and it's free. Yes, that's a reference to a specific physical act.

Tam! RUGH!
#46 Old 05-03-2011, 08:44 AM
Veggie Regular

Trust me when I say my anxiety (PTSD) is not a good thing. In the past it has caused me to make poor decisions such as avoiding or running away from situations, reacting violently and laying in bed for days.
#47 Old 05-03-2011, 08:47 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I'm part of the campaign to legalize cannabis, as I said and which you're know if you did just a little bit of research (i.e. reading my damn posts in this thread). You're completely ignoring what I actually say and replying to things that I don't say. Even if cannabis has a positive effect on ten physical ailments, there are thousands of different physical ailments the human body can potentially suffer from. I'm simply pointing out the BS logic that there's any such thing as a magical ambrosia that heals everything. If you use language like "miracle drug" you're gonna get called out on that by rational people. Get used to it.

I never said it was a CURE all. I said it's a miracle plant that with some research can probably replace a lot of chemically prescribed drugs. How about you pay attention there too, tough guy. And the overanalyzing/reading into and honing in on ONE word...lame lame lame.

P.S. I was replying to your "lung cancer/carcingoens" comment so, what the heck are you talking about?

#48 Old 05-03-2011, 08:54 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I never said it was a CURE all. I said it's a miracle plant that with some research can probably replace a lot of chemically prescribed drugs. How about you pay attention there too, tough guy. And the overanalyzing/reading into and honing in on ONE word...lame lame lame.

P.S. I was replying to your "lung cancer/carcingoens" comment so, what the heck are you talking about?

There's no damn such thing as a miracle. It's a plant. It's a plant that has potential for a wide range of medical purposes, and recreationally it's much less harmful than tobacco or alcohol which are perfectly legal. Again, did I mention I'm strongly pro legalization? Why do you continue to debate against me? Are you that personally offended by the fact I don't share your vices?

And yes, smoking anything at all does in fact increase one's likelihood of a variety of lung diseases, including cancer. It could be dried lawn grass or wood.

Not just cancer either but any of the diseases people associate with smoking. Inhalation of smoke is simply dangerous, especially in closed areas over sustained periods. The lungs are not meant to endure that kind of trauma.

Tam! RUGH!
#49 Old 05-03-2011, 08:57 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbivorous B.I.G. View Post

Weed makes me tired. Booze makes me fun.

Both make me tired unfortunately. And I've given up all and everything that makes me fun m'kaaay.

m8itcanw8.com
#50 Old 05-03-2011, 09:01 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

There's no damn such thing as a miracle. It's a plant. It's a plant that has potential for a wide range of medical purposes, and recreationally it's much less harmful than tobacco or alcohol which are perfectly legal. Again, did I mention I'm strongly pro legalization? Why do you continue to debate against me? Are you that personally offended by the fact I don't share your vices?

And yes, smoking anything at all does in fact increase one's likelihood of a variety of lung diseases, including cancer. It could be dried lawn grass or wood.

Not just cancer either but any of the diseases people associate with smoking. Inhalation of smoke is simply dangerous, especially in closed areas over sustained periods. The lungs are not meant to endure that kind of trauma.

You're clearly not reading my posts either and I don't have the patience to argue with people who live to argue. Sound to me like maybe you SHOULD smoke. Might lighten you up.

#51 Old 05-03-2011, 03:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Last month on Dr Oz the "experts" said that there was no evidence that marijuana was harmful to the lungs when smoked. In fact one recent study showed that it had protective qualities.

And of course, you don't have to smoke it.
#52 Old 05-03-2011, 03:47 PM
Banned

Quote:

Last month on Dr Oz the "experts" said that there was no evidence that marijuana was harmful to the lungs when smoked. In fact one recent study showed that it had protective qualities.

Yeah, but that would, like, seriously hurt the profits of the timber industry, and we know how the heads of the corporations that run the production of timber just, like, so need their multi-million dollar bonuses!!
#53 Old 05-03-2011, 04:57 PM
Banned

Quote:

as an rn and former heavy pot smoker, it's hard for me to believe that burning and inhaling anything is good for your lungs. there were periods of my life when i smoked so much pot i was spitting up stems and seeds (i'm joking, but only a little). little bits of smoke in your lungs over long periods of time doesn't bode well for your health, no matter what it is you're smoking. coughing up mucous should be a pretty obvious sign you're overdoing it.

i'm big on eating the stuff, though i can't do it now. but when i retire? i'm gonna be a baker, methinks. .
#54 Old 05-03-2011, 06:48 PM
Veggie Regular

I was surprised, too, to hear it from such a mainstream source, but the study they cited showed that you were less likely to get lung cancer if you smoked marijuana. I'm sure anything can be taken too far, though.
#55 Old 05-03-2011, 06:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegansarawr View Post

I like you.

Experience the awesome that is yally.
#56 Old 05-03-2011, 07:02 PM
Veggie Regular

MOD POST: Please do not promote or discuss your participation in illegal activities. This is against the rules of the board. I will be deleting certain posts.

Feel free to continuing discussion on the merits of decriminalization, the health effects, etc...

FYI, the community guidelines state that the following is not allowed:

Content inappropriate for minors (profanity, sexual content, promoting illegal activities, etc).
#57 Old 05-03-2011, 07:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AspireToInspire View Post

I HATE yally!

*is roughly 39 forums fads behind*

"A-yup. Ya wasted yer life, son"

- Old Man
#58 Old 05-03-2011, 08:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AspireToInspire View Post

some of the peeps here are totally awesome. .
#59 Old 05-03-2011, 10:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddieB View Post

MOD POST: Please do not promote or discuss your participation in illegal activities. This is against the rules of the board. I will be deleting certain posts.

Feel free to continuing discussion on the merits of decriminalization, the health effects, etc...

FYI, the community guidelines state that the following is not allowed:

Content inappropriate for minors (profanity, sexual content, promoting illegal activities, etc).

Not okay to discuss medical marijuana and the Dr Oz show? Of course he's against it for recreational use.
#60 Old 05-03-2011, 10:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by papayamon View Post

as an rn and former heavy pot smoker, it's hard for me to believe that burning and inhaling anything is good for your lungs. there were periods of my life when i smoked so much pot i was spitting up stems and seeds (i'm joking, but only a little). little bits of smoke in your lungs over long periods of time doesn't bode well for your health, no matter what it is you're smoking. coughing up mucous should be a pretty obvious sign you're overdoing it.

i'm big on eating the stuff, though i can't do it now. but when i retire? i'm gonna be a baker, methinks. .

However anything in large amounts can be harmful. If I ate too many apples my poo would... well we ALL know how that would go lol.
Often when weed is prescribed to people under the age of 19 it is in the form of food. In a case study I saw one boy with sever epilepsy (as a result of head trauma) drank cannabis soy milk everyday and it reduced his seizures drastically.

☮ ♥ (: Ⓥ
http://empatheticvegan.tumblr.com/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page