Marijuana - Page 10 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 59Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#271 Old 02-02-2015, 04:47 PM
Herbivorous Urchin
 
River's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 9,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Vegan View Post
I see what you mean...I was coming from the perspective of a healthcare system being provided by the government...If you are completely paying for your own healthcare then that aspect of my argument becomes redundant...
But I agree, if the person isn't footing the insurance premium themselves, it doesn't seem fair to be engaging in unhealthy habits like eating pigs and smoking cigs.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
River is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#272 Old 02-02-2015, 04:51 PM
Vegan as f**k
 
Go Vegan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Worthing, England
Posts: 2,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post
But I agree, if the person isn't footing the insurance premium themselves, it doesn't seem fair to be engaging in unhealthy habits like eating pigs and smoking cigs.
That rhymes

The most worrying thing for me is that whilst many people understand that cigarettes are bad for you, they don't often seem to realise just how bad animal products are for your health.
Go Vegan is offline  
#273 Old 02-02-2015, 04:53 PM
Herbivorous Urchin
 
River's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 9,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Vegan View Post
That rhymes

The most worrying thing for me is that whilst many people understand that cigarettes are bad for you, they don't often seem to realise just how bad animal products are for your health.
I think it's because it is so delayed. My dad quit smoking tobacco about two or three years ago, and it was amazing how fast he felt better and stopped smelling funky.

But people have to eat, right? And it is such a cultural norm to eat animals that there is some bizarre disconnect between the horrible health and environmental concerns.

I don't get it either :/

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
River is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#274 Old 02-02-2015, 05:37 PM
Vegan as f**k
 
Go Vegan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Worthing, England
Posts: 2,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post
I think it's because it is so delayed. My dad quit smoking tobacco about two or three years ago, and it was amazing how fast he felt better and stopped smelling funky.

But people have to eat, right? And it is such a cultural norm to eat animals that there is some bizarre disconnect between the horrible health and environmental concerns.

I don't get it either :/
Yes you are right - there is a mental disconnection between the animal flesh on the plate and the coronary artery disease that might well occur 10 or 20 years later...This is something that needs addressing further by public health services really...

It may be that as obesity becomes more and more prevalent, public health services will have to look into the causes more and more and may have to speak out against consumption of animal products?
Go Vegan is offline  
#275 Old 02-02-2015, 05:48 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)
 
LedBoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 8,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by MozIsMyShepherd View Post
Who would have thought that so many vegans could be in favour of recreational drugs
I'm a nurse, vegan, and mother who believes in freedom of choice. The government telling me I can't grow and smoke a plant is ridiculous. I don't need a nanny, thanks.
LedBoots is offline  
#276 Old 02-03-2015, 12:16 PM
Newbie
 
KyRaizor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post
I'm a nurse, vegan, and mother who believes in freedom of choice. The government telling me I can't grow and smoke a plant is ridiculous. I don't need a nanny, thanks.
Thank you
KyRaizor is offline  
#277 Old 02-03-2015, 12:59 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Vegan View Post
Yes you are right - there is a mental disconnection between the animal flesh on the plate and the coronary artery disease that might well occur 10 or 20 years later...This is something that needs addressing further by public health services really...

It may be that as obesity becomes more and more prevalent, public health services will have to look into the causes more and more and may have to speak out against consumption of animal products?



I don't think obesity is related to someone eating a big mac...it's more so related to them eating the big mac, the biggie fries, the apple pie, the moon pie they found in the truck on the way over to Mickey D's, and the large non diet pop...and doing that for the majority of the meals in a day. Heck take the BM out of it and then it's basically a vegan diet and they're still gonna become fat asses cause they bulk of their exercise is getting into and out of the truck to run to get food.
CornShucker is offline  
#278 Old 02-03-2015, 01:13 PM
Plant-Powered
 
plantpoweredhippie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 17
Cannabis is an amazing plant, and has MANY proven medicinal qualities.

Even though the benefits of smoking pot may be overstated and exaggerated by some advocates of pro-cannabis legalization, researchers continue to study the drug's medicinal uses and better understand how it impacts the body. I know plenty of people, who have benefitted greatly off of the effects of cannabis. CBD and THC.

Keep in mind, though, just like booze, cheeseburgers and tobacco, there are negative effects of smoking too much pot or using it heavily. When overused or abused, pot can lead to dependency and mess with your memory and emotions.

So, in conclusion: everything in moderation. There is nothing wrong with smoking cannabis medicinally or recreationally, but just don't overuse and abuse it, just because you can.
Adsterrr, KyRaizor and Thalassa4 like this.
plantpoweredhippie is offline  
#279 Old 02-03-2015, 01:36 PM
Vegan as f**k
 
Go Vegan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Worthing, England
Posts: 2,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by CornShucker View Post
I don't think obesity is related to someone eating a big mac...it's more so related to them eating the big mac, the biggie fries, the apple pie, the moon pie they found in the truck on the way over to Mickey D's, and the large non diet pop...and doing that for the majority of the meals in a day. Heck take the BM out of it and then it's basically a vegan diet and they're still gonna become fat asses cause they bulk of their exercise is getting into and out of the truck to run to get food.
I agree that lack of exercise plays a very important role in the development of obesity...

But if many people removed Big Macs from their diets, they would still be left with loads of non-vegan junk foods...They are a significant source of fat/ cholesterol etc...

Why is the suffering and killing of animals wrong? Because the value of a sentient organism's life is priceless. They are their own beings and have their own lives and loves. They have higher emotions and thought processes. Their minds are different from ours in degree, not kind - meaning that fundamentally there are critical similarities.
Go Vegan is offline  
#280 Old 02-03-2015, 05:00 PM
Veggie Regular
 
natty6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 351
Okay well pregnant women who intend to carry the baby to birth smoking pot is wrong in my opinion. But if people want to hurt themselves and aren't hurting others then that is their business. I don't use pot- it makes me stupid and effects me for days afterward and I can be drug tested at work- but I don't see anything wrong with it. Might as well tell people they can't drink soda, use artificial sweeteners, suntan, play football (either type- both cause brain damage), get breast implants, or eat processed foods.

Plus while pot does damage short term memory, it also increase neural connectivity and new connections made. So it does both good and damage.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
lucky7 likes this.
natty6 is offline  
#281 Old 02-03-2015, 05:41 PM
Beginner
 
lucky7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Metro Detroit
Posts: 122
^ I agree with you. It's on par with seatbelt and motorcycle helmet laws. Do whatever you want unless it effects me.

Ignore the 'getting high' (THC) part of the plant, what industry lobbied against hemp? Hemp could change the world. You can make clothes with it, rope, paper, etc.. On top of that, hemp seeds are a complete protein source. You have to go to Canada to get it 'round here. There are a zillion uses for the stuff even if you ignore the medicinal/recreational aspect all together.
Thalassa4 likes this.

'The rich get richer 'till the poor get educated.' -Sage Francis

'They offer presidents to represent them. You think a president could represent you? You really think a president would represent you?!? Riight...' -P.O.S
lucky7 is offline  
#282 Old 02-03-2015, 06:00 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Glasgow
Posts: 114
Legalize all drugs, control them and the quality, create jobs with them, tax them, accurately monitor who uses them and the effects it has on those people over time, take the profits and put them into providing healthcare for drug users, dent the illicit drug dealers where it hurts, free up police-court time-taxpayer expense.

Anything over and above that could ideally be spent on the urban renewal of those area's most blighted by the illicit drugs trade and criminality.

Everyone wins except organised crime and hard-line religious types.
Thalassa4 likes this.
RiggerBoots is offline  
#283 Old 02-03-2015, 06:09 PM
Veggie Regular
 
natty6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by MozIsMyShepherd View Post
Who would have thought that so many vegans could be in favour of recreational drugs

I'm curious what would make you think that vegans would be less in favor of marijuana than anyone else.



Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
natty6 is offline  
#284 Old 02-03-2015, 06:34 PM
Vegan as f**k
 
Go Vegan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Worthing, England
Posts: 2,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiggerBoots View Post
Legalize all drugs, control them and the quality, create jobs with them, tax them, accurately monitor who uses them and the effects it has on those people over time, take the profits and put them into providing healthcare for drug users, dent the illicit drug dealers where it hurts, free up police-court time-taxpayer expense.

Anything over and above that could ideally be spent on the urban renewal of those area's most blighted by the illicit drugs trade and criminality.

Everyone wins except organised crime and hard-line religious types.
Whilst I don't think legalising all drugs would be a great idea, I can see that you have actually thought through the implications of doing so and have addressed them...That makes a change as people often just stop at saying "legalise drugs"...I agree that the current system doesn't work well for a lot of people - some drug users (eg IV users) become very vulnerable and desperate and I think the legal system doesn't help them one bit...That really should be changed...In effect, they are victims and I don't think the law should punish them as it does...
Go Vegan is offline  
#285 Old 02-04-2015, 11:24 AM
Veggie Regular
 
natty6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Vegan View Post
Whilst I don't think legalising all drugs would be a great idea, I can see that you have actually thought through the implications of doing so and have addressed them...That makes a change as people often just stop at saying "legalise drugs"...I agree that the current system doesn't work well for a lot of people - some drug users (eg IV users) become very vulnerable and desperate and I think the legal system doesn't help them one bit...That really should be changed...In effect, they are victims and I don't think the law should punish them as it does...

In some countries drug use is treated as a disease rather than a crime, and users get help in place of punishment. The stats show this to be effective.



Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
River, lucky7 and no whey jose like this.
natty6 is offline  
#286 Old 02-04-2015, 01:56 PM
Vegan as f**k
 
Go Vegan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Worthing, England
Posts: 2,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by natty6 View Post
In some countries drug use is treated as a disease rather than a crime
I think this is a helpful way of looking at it...
lucky7 and no whey jose like this.
Go Vegan is offline  
#287 Old 02-06-2015, 06:35 AM
Lovable misanthrope
 
MozIsMyShepherd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: London
Posts: 1,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by natty6 View Post
I'm curious what would make you think that vegans would be less in favor of marijuana than anyone else.



Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Indeed....

it takes guts to be gentle and kind
MozIsMyShepherd is offline  
#288 Old 01-19-2016, 08:34 PM
Veggie Recycler
 
Thalassa4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 556
I think hemp is a vital and sustainable source of both nutrition and cloth or paper, and I think marijuana is OK in moderation or as medicine. However I find the trend of people thinking it's OK to smoke it every day for most of the day very disturbing, because while marijuana might not make you "stupid" with excessive use it pretty much can make you a complacent zombie who doesn't really question things as much as they should or could (oh the irony) because of the side effects of apathy and false sense of everything being wonderful it can produce. ..I've actually seen stoners tell everyone else to relax or to stress less with a self absorbed level of detached obliviousness that beggars all belief. While it might help "free your mind" in small amounts, in excess it does the complete opposite. I've even seen multiple people experience psychological withdrawal symptoms such as anxiety, sleeplessness, loss of appetite and a lowered threshold for frustration. Plus in a percentage of the population who are already vulnerable to schizophrenia it can exacerbate symptoms, as well as doing far more developmental damage to people who used heavily during puberty, rather than fully grown adults. All things in moderation, there's no short cut to enlightenment.
Thalassa4 is offline  
#289 Old 01-24-2016, 07:19 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)
 
LedBoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 8,396
I think marijuana should be available medically and recreationally in the US. People should also be able to grow a few plants for personal use.

I don't know enough about the hash products to have an opinion.

I'm against legalizing harder drugs.

I hate opiates, and cringe in shame at the medical establishment's continued long-term prescribing (especially to women and the elderly) and the addicts it creates. I'm an RN.
Tom and no whey jose like this.
LedBoots is offline  
#290 Old 01-25-2016, 02:27 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Naturebound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 4,609
Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post
I think marijuana should be available medically and recreationally in the US. People should also be able to grow a few plants for personal use.

I don't know enough about the hash products to have an opinion.

I'm against legalizing harder drugs.

I hate opiates, and cringe in shame at the medical establishment's continued long-term prescribing (especially to women and the elderly) and the addicts it creates. I'm an RN.
I was put on Percoset for one week after my total hysterectomy/ovary removal/episiotomy. I remember being in so much pain and so emotional from the abrupt loss of ovarian hormones at the age of 33. After only one week on Percoset I literally had to wean slowly off because I had withdrawal effects..shakes, sweating, nausea. Powerful drugs.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Naturebound is offline  
#291 Old 01-25-2016, 02:48 AM
Super Moderator
 
no whey jose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: West Sussex, UK
Posts: 2,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturebound View Post
I was put on Percoset for one week after my total hysterectomy/ovary removal/episiotomy. I remember being in so much pain and so emotional from the abrupt loss of ovarian hormones at the age of 33. After only one week on Percoset I literally had to wean slowly off because I had withdrawal effects..shakes, sweating, nausea. Powerful drugs.
When I was a kid, I had to take opioid painkillers at various times in my life, and whenever I was being discharged from the hospital I always had the same sensation of being simultaneously hot and cold. I thought of it as the "leaving the hospital feeling." It wasn't until I started experimenting with recreational drugs as a teenager that I realized I had been going through mild withdrawal and getting the cold sweats.
no whey jose is offline  
#292 Old 08-17-2018, 07:53 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 18
A family member of mine takes Medical Cannibis for his diabetes and eye problems and the improvement has been amazing. I also have read that Cannabis is a natural pain killer and relaxant. It seems crazy that we prescribe methadone patches, strong codeine, tramadol etc for chronic pain but not cannabis.
Ger Jonker likes this.
DENNISGUNADDICT is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off