Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-07-2011, 08:31 PM
Banned

deleted

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-07-2011, 08:37 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

Why? We have freedom of religion, that includes everyone.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#3 Old 04-07-2011, 08:49 PM
Super Moderator

I have pretty mixed feelings about this.

On the one hand I do believe in free speech for everyone including those I disagree with. On the other hand the WBC are so ugly and hate filled they are pretty borderline, the only thing that saves them is they haven't actually killed or hurt anyone physically, they have just wished death on people and wished eternal torment on dead people in front of their grieving families.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-07-2011, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post

EXACTLY! Trust me, I can't stand them, BUT they DO have a right to do what they do and we shouldn't try to stop them (unless they physically hurt someone)....as do the motorcyclists (I heard this somewhere) that once tried to drown their protests out, lol.

So yeah, let them hate and judge. But if you stand back and think for a moment, is their message TRULY getting through? are the membership or fans of theirs growing? I can venture to say, no. They make themselves look like a bunch of judgemental fools that NO ONE wants to really be around. I just wish the media would ignore them, but that's not going to happen anytime soon.
#5 Old 04-07-2011, 11:36 PM
Rat Queen/Mouse Matriarch

I almost think their type of bullying should be considered a hate crime. That may be going too far but I feel gay bashing really needs to stop. Yes, they're protected and hiding behind free speech and freedom of religion and I'm glad we're all given these freedoms but sometimes I wonder if it's reasonable to draw the line somewhere.

I can't abandon the person I used to be, so I carry her.
#6 Old 04-08-2011, 12:13 AM
Veggie Regular

Rhys, I think you are right, it is pure hate hiding behind religion. Lucky Britain to ban them.

Some people insist it's their religion to have multiple wives or marry minors, but they can't do that legally.
#7 Old 04-08-2011, 03:45 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhys View Post

I almost think their type of bullying should be considered a hate crime. That may be going too far but I feel gay bashing really needs to stop. Yes, they're protected and hiding behind free speech and freedom of religion and I'm glad we're all given these freedoms but sometimes I wonder if it's reasonable to draw the line somewhere.

I totally agree with this. No they haven't physically hurt anyone yet, but I really believe it's only a matter of time before someone at one of the funerals snaps and attacks or kills on of the protesters.
#8 Old 04-08-2011, 04:10 AM

they might use freedom of expression to justify their actions, but their intimidation of others amounts to an attempt at censorship of other's freedom of expression, I think.

#9 Old 04-08-2011, 04:55 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teresa View Post

Rhys, I think you are right, it is pure hate hiding behind religion.

That's a bit of a generalization, don't you think?

Chillin' in my blue jeans!
#10 Old 04-08-2011, 05:01 AM
Veggie Regular

Can you give an example of 'their intimidation of others'?
#11 Old 04-08-2011, 06:12 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbitLuvr View Post

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/e...re/7898972.stm

If only there was a way we could get (and keep) them out of the US now....

+ 1
#12 Old 04-08-2011, 06:15 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teresa View Post

Rhys, I think you are right, it is pure hate hiding behind religion. Lucky Britain to ban them.

Some people insist it's their religion to have multiple wives or marry minors, but they can't do that legally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

I totally agree with this. No they haven't physically hurt anyone yet, but I really believe it's only a matter of time before someone at one of the funerals snaps and attacks or kills on of the protesters.

What they do is 100% a hate crime.

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#13 Old 04-08-2011, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delicioso View Post

Can you give an example of 'their intimidation of others'?

standing around shouting?
I know I'd find that intimidating, if it were directed at me.

#14 Old 04-08-2011, 06:21 AM
Banned

"The UK Border Agency said it opposed "extremism in all its forms".
A spokesman added: "Both these individuals have engaged in unacceptable behaviour by inciting hatred against a number of communities.
"We will continue to stop those who want to spread extremism, hatred and violent messages in our communities from coming to our country.
"The exclusions policy is targeted at all those who seek to stir up tension and provoke others to violence regardless of their origins and beliefs.""

It's on occasions like this that I actually like being British.

It's strange.... This happened back in Feb 2009 yet I can't actually recall anything massive on the news about it. It was kinda like "yeah, they wanted to come, we said no. Whatever. Now back onto important news."
#15 Old 04-08-2011, 07:31 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:

That's how I see it too. If they weren't showing up at funerals, I think my opinion might be a little different. They intentionally show up in places where people are suffering and vulnerable, that's an extreme form of bullying.
#16 Old 04-08-2011, 07:40 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Is it better for them to be out in the open, subject to counter protests, ridicule, and mocking?

Or is it better for them to be hiding under a rock somewhere, whispering their theories in secret?
#17 Old 04-08-2011, 08:44 AM
mlp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by das_nut View Post

Is it better for them to be out in the open, subject to counter protests, ridicule, and mocking?

Or is it better for them to be hiding under a rock somewhere, whispering their theories in secret?

Actually, the latter. The former gives those who might be influenced by them (a) the idea that it's a mindset that will give one lots of publicity, which is something that a great many people apparently crave (witness the prevalence of *reality* TV shows, people splashing their personal lives all over social media, etc.) and (b) it makes the mindset appear more acceptable/prevalent (just like many on here tend to overestimate the strength of the veg*n movement by reason of being in the midst of a bunch of veg*ns). Both factors tend to reinforce that mindset in people who might not have the motivation to stick with it if they didn't have those reinforcements.
#18 Old 04-08-2011, 09:48 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

That's how I see it too. If they weren't showing up at funerals, I think my opinion might be a little different. They intentionally show up in places where people are suffering and vulnerable, that's an extreme form of bullying.

Agreed.

So why was this thread suddenly started about an article on BBC News from 2 years ago? When I first started reading, I assumed it was something new that just happened, but apparently, this is old news.

--Fromper
#19 Old 04-08-2011, 10:48 AM
Banned

deleted

#20 Old 04-08-2011, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *AHIMSA* View Post

What they do is 100% a hate crime.

Yea, it's hateful but it's not a crime.
#21 Old 04-08-2011, 02:12 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post

Yea, it's hateful but it's not a crime.

Yep!

It is *not* a crime in the least, and when you draw a "line" somewhere, it makes it easier, and easier, and easier for that line to get pushed further. They have *not* hurt anyone, they have *not* committed a crime, end of story.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#22 Old 04-08-2011, 02:43 PM
Veggie Regular

When they showed up at Comic Con last year we were ready for them!

"If you are lonely when you're alone, you are in bad company."
Jean-Paul Sartre
#23 Old 04-08-2011, 03:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post

They weren't refused entry for being Christian, it was for inciting and spreading hatred.
#24 Old 04-08-2011, 03:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoia View Post

That's awesome. I'm trying to figure out what ridiculous excuse they came up with to protest comic con....oh wait...God hates superheroes?
#25 Old 04-08-2011, 05:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoia View Post

*snip*

PfffHAHA! That is so full of win!

WBC are basically real life trolls, but instead of hiding behind a computer screen, they hide behind their rights.

One day they are gonna take it too far, and then their crap will be put down for good. As for right now, Not much we can do but counterattack with our own legal hate against them. Such as these pictures.

Was it here I heard they had a huge gay/lesbian makeout right in front of the WBC home base?

Enjoying the view over at http://forum.veggieviews.com/

#26 Old 04-08-2011, 05:26 PM
Veggie Regular

I cannot see where they are breaking the law. They are protesting. The SEIU protests and yells at people also, at least they have here. The culinary union here have been very, very aggressive when they are on strike.

As much as I hate to see them do what they do, I don't what law they could breaking.
#27 Old 04-08-2011, 05:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by julz View Post

I cannot see where they are breaking the law. They are protesting. The SEIU protests and yells at people also, at least they have here. The culinary union here have been very, very aggressive when they are on strike.

As much as I hate to see them do what they do, I don't what law they could breaking.

In the UK it's against the law to incite and spread hatred. It's also against the law to discriminate against homosexuals. Therefore, in the UK they would be breaking the law and seeing as their only purpose of entering the UK was to do that they were refused entry.

Maybe in the USA what they're doing isn't against the law, but it is in the UK.
#28 Old 04-08-2011, 05:43 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annia View Post

Maybe in the USA what they're doing isn't against the law, but it is in the UK.

It should be.
#29 Old 04-08-2011, 05:44 PM
Veggie Regular

I was speaking to the American laws. I did not know about the British laws (no snarkness intended).
#30 Old 04-08-2011, 05:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

It should be.

I would love it if we could do that without it spilling over into whatever the political mood of the day is. You know how it goes here...depending on who is in office and what they are in the mood to define as 'hate speech'.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page