Illinois governor signs death penalty ban - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-09-2011, 11:08 AM
Impeach the gangster

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/03/09...h-penalty-ban/

Seems right to me.

I think, "Fellow citizens, we cannot escape history," is a quote from Lincoln.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-09-2011, 11:16 AM
mlp
Banned

Very good thing.

Former Gov. Ryan, who was a Republican, halted executions about a decade ago because people on death row were being exonerated. That was also the right (and gutsy) thing to do.
#3 Old 03-09-2011, 12:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Some "Right-to-Life" people are going to be upset about this.

Vegetarian since February 12, 2007
Vegan since October 7, 2008

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-09-2011, 01:51 PM
Veggie Regular

A small step forward in a nation bent on long strides backward.

Keep on freepin' on

#5 Old 03-09-2011, 01:55 PM
Veggie Regular

So how many states are left that actually perform executions?

I know my state is one.
#6 Old 03-09-2011, 01:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Great, now vicious serial killers will be running amok all over the state of Illinois, the crime rates will skyrocket and relatives of murder victims will have to go into decades worth of additional counseling.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#7 Old 03-09-2011, 02:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Good for Illinois! I keep hearing how corrupt the state government there is, so at least this is one good thing they've done (I have a good friend in IL)
#8 Old 03-09-2011, 02:16 PM
mlp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

Great, now vicious serial killers will be running amok all over the state of Illinois,

@#[email protected]$!$#@[email protected]!!!! Why did you have to publicize my plan?!?! Now I've lost the element of surprise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tablaqueen View Post

Good for Illinois! I keep hearing how corrupt the state government there is, so at least this is one good thing they've done (I have a good friend in IL)

Ryan, the governor who halted the executions a decades ago, is one of our (many) governors to go to prison for corruption. Goes to remind us that a person can be corrupt in one way, yet stand up in another.
#9 Old 03-09-2011, 05:03 PM
Veggie Regular

I was happy to see this news. Now if we here in Florida can ... wait... what am I thinking? Florida do something progressive?? *sigh*

"Women & cats will do as they please, & men & dogs should relax & get used to the idea." Robert Heinlein
#10 Old 03-09-2011, 05:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by New England Vegan View Post

Some "Right-to-Life" people are going to be upset about this.

You are right.

I've never been for the death penalty for the reason in the article. People have been executed for crimes they didn't commit.
#11 Old 03-09-2011, 05:30 PM
Impeach the gangster

Quote:
Originally Posted by smob View Post

So how many states are left that actually perform executions?

From what I can tell, there are 34 states, plus the federal govt. and the U.S. military, that execute people. There are 16 states, including Illinois, plus the District of Columbia, that do not.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
#12 Old 03-12-2011, 08:21 AM
Veggie Regular

Yay

“May all sentient beings be free of pain and suffering.  May all sentient beings experience eternal joy and happiness.  gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.”
http://www.facebook.com/doktormartini
http://twitter.com/#!/MartyBaureis
http://doktormartini.tumblr.com

#13 Old 03-12-2011, 09:33 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capstan View Post

From what I can tell, there are 34 states, plus the federal govt. and the U.S. military, that execute people. There are 16 states, including Illinois, plus the District of Columbia, that do not.

I was referring to states that actually carry out executions, not states where the death penalty is legal/permitted. For example, Texas has the death penalty and, to quote Ron White, we USE it (between 400 and 500 executions since 1976, I think)! Connecticut on the other hand also has the death penalty but has executed only one person since 1976.
#14 Old 03-12-2011, 10:10 AM
Impeach the gangster

Quote:

I was referring to states that actually carry out executions, not states where the death penalty is legal/permitted. For example, Texas has the death penalty and, to quote Ron White, we USE it (between 400 and 500 executions since 1976, I think)! Connecticut on the other hand also has the death penalty but has executed only one person since 1976.

Since Texas switched from using the electric chair to lethal injection, they've taken all the fun out of going to Huntsville and watching all the lights dim out, as they fried someone.

#15 Old 03-12-2011, 10:35 AM

Quote:

Since Texas switched from using the electric chair to lethal injection, they've taken all the fun out of going to Huntsville and watching all the lights dim out, as they fried someone.

Could you be more classless? I think it would be difficult.
#16 Old 03-12-2011, 10:54 AM
Impeach the gangster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post

Could you be more classless? I think it would be difficult.

Sorry, I don't know how to be classy, while killing someone. Will you enlighten me?

#17 Old 03-12-2011, 12:37 PM
Beginner

You guys seriously think this is a good thing? You have a problem with killing animals, but not humans?
A bit speciesist to me..

http://dirtyhippiecrafts.blogspot.com/
#18 Old 03-12-2011, 12:54 PM
Impeach the gangster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugwrinkles View Post

You guys seriously think this is a good thing? You have a problem with killing animals, but not humans?
A bit speciesist to me..

I'm against killing all species. My comment about Huntsville was made faceciously. Apparently, my joke was not got, which I think points out the seriousness of the heinous practice of the death penalty. It should be ended.

#19 Old 03-12-2011, 01:15 PM
Beginner

Quote:

I'm against killing all species. My comment about Huntsville was made faceciously. Apparently, my joke was not got, which I think points out the seriousness of the heinous practice of the death penalty. It should be ended.

Sorry, it can be quite difficult to detect intention over the internet at times.

http://dirtyhippiecrafts.blogspot.com/
#20 Old 03-12-2011, 01:16 PM

Quote:

Sorry, I don't know how to be classy, while killing someone.

Or, evidently, when enjoying it.
#21 Old 03-12-2011, 01:18 PM

Quote:

My comment about Huntsville was made faceciously. Apparently, my joke was not got, which I think points out the seriousness of the heinous practice of the death penalty. It should be ended.

You know, you can make crass comments then say it was all a joke. But it's a classless thing to do.
#22 Old 03-12-2011, 01:25 PM
Impeach the gangster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugwrinkles View Post

Sorry, it can be quite difficult to detect intention over the internet at times.

No apology necessary.

#23 Old 03-12-2011, 01:31 PM
Impeach the gangster

Quote:

You know, you can make crass comments then say it was all a joke. But it's a classless thing to do.

I notice you have not expressed a point of view about the the Illinois statute in this thread. Are you for or against the death penalty? Do you actually have a point of view, or are you just here to show us how much class you have?

#24 Old 03-12-2011, 01:34 PM

I'm against the death penalty in all cases.
#25 Old 03-12-2011, 01:36 PM
Impeach the gangster

Quote:

I'm against the death penalty in all cases.

Me too.

#26 Old 03-12-2011, 07:37 PM
mlp
Banned

Quote:

Capstan has been a member here for a long time. Anyone who has been paying attention would know how vehemently pro life he is in all respects, including the death penalty, and would therefore realize that his comment was an indictment of a certain type of mindset.
#27 Old 03-13-2011, 04:23 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I wouldn't know, they haven't used the electric chair in Texas in my lifetime.

(From what I've been able to ascertain from Google, we haven't electrocuted anyone in TX since 1964 and there were no executions between 1964 and 1982.)

I have no doubt that the state of Texas has executed innocent people and the DP here needs to GO. AWAY. NOW.
#28 Old 03-13-2011, 05:53 AM

Quote:

I wouldn't know, they haven't used the electric chair in Texas in my lifetime.

(From what I've been able to ascertain from Google, we haven't electrocuted anyone in TX since 1964 and there were no executions between 1964 and 1982.)

I have no doubt that the state of Texas has executed innocent people and the DP here needs to GO. AWAY. NOW.

I've lived all over Texas and have never heard a candidate for District Attorney not campaign on how many people he or she has sent to death row or will if the people of of the District would elect them. Yea, it needs to go away.
#29 Old 03-13-2011, 06:35 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I've lived all over Texas and have never heard a candidate for District Attorney not campaign on how many people he or she has sent to death row or will if the people of of the District would elect them. Yea, it needs to go away.

It's not as prevalent as it used to be because Texas introduced a sentence of life without the possibility of parole in recent years. Previously, you had to decide between sentencing someone to death or sentencing someone to life knowing they would be eligible for parole in 20 years. With the "life without" option, the number of death sentences handed down has decreased dramatically.

But you're right, some politicians do campaign on their record of death sentences. But not all do.
#30 Old 03-14-2011, 09:19 AM
Veggie Regular

Less killing is always good.

--
The Twilight Is My Robe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page