Bill Clinton - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-08-2011, 04:36 AM
Veggie Regular

He gave a speech last week at one of the local colleges. According to the local paper, he made $200,000 for a 2-hour speech. Does anyone else find this absolutely ridiculous?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-08-2011, 05:13 AM

That's a lot of money but he is one of only 5 living U.S Presidents so the pool of similiar applicants is a little limited.
#3 Old 03-08-2011, 05:39 AM
Veggie Regular

Doesn't bother me, he can earn his money any way he wants. And for all we know, he might donate all or part of it to charity.

*this space not for sale*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-08-2011, 05:46 AM
Veggie Regular

It's a substantial payment, but all things considered, I don't find it that ridiculous when in the corporate sector, some CEO's get paid several million dollars plus when they leave a company. Politics is paid poorly considering the amount of responsibility involved in the job, and seeing as Clinton was president of one of the most powerful countries in the world and in my opinion was the best president that the US has ever had, I think he deserves it.

m8itcanw8.com
#5 Old 03-08-2011, 10:26 AM
Veggie Regular

Yes, I think it's ridiculous, but Clinton getting a ridiculous amount of money from talking is no different from Lady Gaga getting a ridiculous amount of money for making whatever she is making: in either case, they're doing something anyone can do, but they get paid for it because they're celebs.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#6 Old 03-08-2011, 10:56 AM
Veggie Regular

Ridiculous? Yes. But still less ridiculous than Sarah Palin getting paid similar amounts.

--Fromper
#7 Old 03-08-2011, 11:58 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm often amazed at the money that can be thrown around. Like companies paying millions to have a sport arena with their name.

Yeah it's a bit crazy. That seems to be the world though. It amazes me people HAVE the money to throw around like that.
#8 Old 03-08-2011, 12:04 PM
Veggie Regular

i'm a bit surprised that he gets that little. paris hilton was charging more than that for personal appearances at one stage.
#9 Old 03-08-2011, 05:09 PM
Veggie Regular

It was at the University At Albany. Not exactly the most prestigious college so most people are likely middle class. The rich get richer while the poor and/or middle class have to suffer. I don't understand how anyone can think it's okay. We hear a lot of complaints about pro athletes making a lot of money, so Clinton should be held to the same standards.
#10 Old 03-08-2011, 05:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nishani View Post

It's a substantial payment, but all things considered, I don't find it that ridiculous when in the corporate sector, some CEO's get paid several million dollars plus when they leave a company. Politics is paid poorly considering the amount of responsibility involved in the job, and seeing as Clinton was president of one of the most powerful countries in the world and in my opinion was the best president that the US has ever had, I think he deserves it.

The President can also order a terror bombing and not go to prison for it. They benefit in some ways and not in others. I don't mind them making more if they're held to the same rules all citizens in this country are. I believe Clinton was the one who lied under oath.
#11 Old 03-08-2011, 05:22 PM
mlp
Banned

Well, Reagan got $2 million for two speeches in Japan. Both Bushes get sizeable speaking fees. Any reason you're singling Clinton out?
#12 Old 03-08-2011, 09:34 PM
Banned

deleted

#13 Old 03-08-2011, 10:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

Yes, I think it's ridiculous, but Clinton getting a ridiculous amount of money from talking is no different from Lady Gaga getting a ridiculous amount of money for making whatever she is making: in either case, they're doing something anyone can do, but they get paid for it because they're celebs.

I don't know if this is a good comparison. Lady Gaga is a performer who has talent (arguable, but I believe so). She rights her songs and her videos. As with Clinton, I'm not even sure if he writes his own speeches.

“May all sentient beings be free of pain and suffering.  May all sentient beings experience eternal joy and happiness.  gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.”
http://www.facebook.com/doktormartini
http://twitter.com/#!/MartyBaureis
http://doktormartini.tumblr.com

#14 Old 03-08-2011, 10:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlp View Post

Well, Reagan got $2 million for two speeches in Japan. Both Bushes get sizeable speaking fees. Any reason you're singling Clinton out?

this.

Nec Aspera Terrent
#15 Old 03-08-2011, 11:10 PM
Red
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainforests1 View Post

He gave a speech last week at one of the local colleges. According to the local paper, he made $200,000 for a 2-hour speech. Does anyone else find this absolutely ridiculous?

That's how he's been making his living for the last 10 years.

http://projects.washingtonpost.com/2...speeches/list/
#16 Old 03-09-2011, 06:44 AM
mlp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post

That's how he's been making his living for the last 10 years.

http://projects.washingtonpost.com/2...speeches/list/

And this is what GWB had to say while he was still in office:

A NEW book out last week reported that President Bush wants to hop on the lecture circuit when he leaves office in 2009 — “replenish the ol’ coffers,” as he put it in Robert Draper’s account of his presidency, “Dead Certain.”

“I don’t know what my dad gets,” the president told Mr. Draper. “But it’s more than 50, 75” thousand dollars a speech. He added, “Clinton’s making a lot of money.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/09/we.../09seelye.html
#17 Old 03-09-2011, 07:07 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doktormartini View Post

I don't know if this is a good comparison. Lady Gaga is a performer who has talent (arguable, but I believe so). She rights her songs and her videos. As with Clinton, I'm not even sure if he writes his own speeches.

What about Paris Hilton and 'Snookie' who get paid just as much to show up at a party and get schwasted?

"you know, nowhere in the bible does it say that jesus was not a raptor"

www.animal-adoptions.org

#18 Old 03-09-2011, 07:19 AM
mlp
Banned

Carter and Clinton at least have been extremely active in humanitarian pursuits in their post presidential years. The same can't be said of the Bushes, other than senior's efforts with respect to tsunami relief. And I'll give Reagan a pass, since he was in the grip of Alzheimer's well before he left office.
#19 Old 03-09-2011, 07:53 AM
Veggie Regular

lolz @ "The Bushes".

www.animal-adoptions.org

#20 Old 03-09-2011, 08:07 AM
Veggie Regular

These people (politicians, pro athletes, actors, celebrities, Lady Gaga) get paid the money they do because fans are willing to pay it. When students at Washington University protested Bristol Palin's upcoming speech on abstinence, it got canceled. If the students at U of A don't want to hear Clinton speak I assume they are free to do the same, just like if people didn't like Lady Gaga they wouldn't buy her music. Even worthless celebrities like Paris Hilton are ultimately supported by the fans.
#21 Old 03-09-2011, 08:10 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger View Post

These people (politicians, pro athletes, actors, celebrities, Lady Gaga) get paid the money they do because fans are willing to pay it. When students at Washington University protested Bristol Palin's upcoming speech on abstinence, it got canceled. If the students at U of A don't want to hear Clinton speak I assume they are free to do the same, just like if people didn't like Lady Gaga they wouldn't buy her music. Even worthless celebrities like Paris Hilton are ultimately supported by the fans.

Yup....if they can capitalize off of their popularity (Which is basically what Clinton, Gaga, Charlie Sheen, etc. all have in common), why not?

I know I'd sure as hell do it if I were more of a celebrity!

www.animal-adoptions.org

#22 Old 03-09-2011, 09:04 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post

I know I'd sure as hell do it if I were more of a celebrity!

Awww, you're a celebrity to us. We just can't afford to pay you!
#23 Old 03-09-2011, 12:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doktormartini View Post

I agree, but I'd say Gaga is considered a below average songwriter. I'm sure Clinton could do just as good of a job with his speeches if he wanted to write them as Gaga does with her songwriting.
#24 Old 03-09-2011, 12:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlp View Post

I haven't read much about the others and as far as I know they haven't come to the local area for a speech. It's been mentioned many times that Clinton demands $100,000 minimum for a speech. The media talks more about Clinton in this regard so I brought him up.
#25 Old 03-09-2011, 12:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainforests1 View Post

I agree, but I'd say Gaga is considered a below average songwriter. I'm sure Clinton could do just as good of a job with his speeches if he wanted to write them as Gaga does with her songwriting.

I agree with this.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#26 Old 03-09-2011, 12:54 PM
Give peas a chance

If he is being paid out of student fees, I would object. There are better ways tuition money could be applied to instruction.

I have no problem of any amount if it was coming from a single benefactor who was sponsoring the event, or a group of Clinton admirers (or Palin or Bush...) who were underwriting the appearance. As long as the supporters are spending THEIR OWN money, and not redirecting student money or money other donors gave because they thought it was going to go to education.

These types of events can benefit a university in the long run. They provide publicity to the campus (how many people had heard of this place before?), bring out alumni, elevate the status of the institution. It allows them to provide perks to their elite donors, such as meeting a former president.

Vegan Cookbooks Illustrated

http://vegan-cookbooks-illustrated.blogspot.com/

http://pinterest.com/VeganCookbooks/

#27 Old 03-14-2011, 09:35 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

+1

--
The Twilight Is My Robe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page