American missionaries kidnapped - should we rescue them? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-21-2011, 02:35 PM
Contributing Member

Recently an American missionary couple (and another couple) were kidnapped by Somali pirates. They travel around the world handing out bibles. Should our resources be used to rescue them?

In my opinion they are the global version of those annoying door knockers who are pushing their views on others. They aren't on any sort of humanitarian mission....no food for starving kids or medicine for the sick. Just handing out what amounts to little more than toilet paper. Granted that is useful, but I think given the choice most of those people would prefer food, medicine/medical treatment or clothing/shoes.

I don't think we should be wasting our resources or putting the lives of the possible rescuers at stake. There are much more important things that could be done with our tax money. If they are rich enough to own a yacht and sail on it for years, as well as have a large enough supply of bibles to pass out around the world, then they should finance their own rescue or pay the ransom.

Quote:

The foursome had original set out on a trip around the world. Their mission was to give out Bibles to people from all over the world.
The U.S. Military has announced that they do have a rescue plan. The pirates were able to capture the yacht in the Indian Ocean before help could arrive. The reports indicate that a distress signal came from the yacht to the Ecoterra International, which moniters regional maritime activity.

http://www.allvoices.com/contributed...ucted-citizens

‎"One meal, soon forgotten, in exchange for a whole life." Author Unknown
"Fur is worn by beautiful animals and ugly people"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-21-2011, 02:45 PM
Veggie Regular

I believe (and i could be totally wrong, wouldn't be the first time) that the US will automatically try to rescue. Just like when a US citizen get in trouble in another country the embassy tries to help.
But, no, I don't think we should. they obviously knew the dangers.

Atame.
#3 Old 02-21-2011, 02:48 PM
mlp
Banned

I'm always torn about this sort of thing. People are constantly doing foolhardy and even stupid stuff that gets them into a position where they have to be rescued by others, who risk, and sometimes lose, their lives in the effort.

All I know is that if I did something risky, I wouldn't want anyone else to risk her/his life to get me out of the situation. If something happened to a rescuer, I couldn't live with myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-21-2011, 03:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Yes, they should rescue them.

You sound like some of the local people here last week, whining that tax money/police/fire personnel were used to rescue a dog off a flooded island in the river.
#5 Old 02-21-2011, 03:16 PM
Veggie Regular

stupids idiots, but yes, they should be rescued. and then perhaps charged for the fees of the rescue.

"It is far better to be happy than to have your bodies act as graveyards for animals. Accordingly, the apostle Matthew partook of seeds, nuts and vegetables, without flesh"- Clement of Alexandria
#6 Old 02-21-2011, 03:22 PM
mlp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post

You sound like some of the local people here last week, whining that tax money/police/fire personnel were used to rescue a dog off a flooded island in the river.

I don't have that reaction about nonhumans - they don't consciously assume risks, the way humans do. my reaction doesn't have to do with money - it's about people risking their own lives to save others from the consequences of their foolhardiness. Of course, one can't just turn away from someone who needs rescuing, but as I said before, it would be hard for me to live with myself if my stupidity cost someone else her/his life.
#7 Old 02-21-2011, 03:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Well my reply was to the OP, not you. I just don't think we can refuse to rescue stupid people. Firefighters still go in after people who fall asleep with cigarettes burning or mix cigarettes and O2 tanks. Rescuers respond when people get stupid drunk and try to skate across the Mississippi, etc.

Though not saving the stupid might help with the population crisis.
#8 Old 02-21-2011, 03:51 PM
mlp
Banned

Quote:

Well my reply was to the OP, not you. I just don't think we can refuse to rescue stupid people. Firefighters still go in after people who fall asleep with cigarettes burning or mix cigarettes and O2 tanks. Rescuers respond when people get stupid drunk and try to skate across the Mississippi, etc.

Though not saving the stupid might help with the population crisis.

I agree on both counts.
#9 Old 02-21-2011, 03:59 PM
Contributing Member

It's unfair for someone's husband/wife, son/daughter or father/mother have to risk their life for another person's stupidity. They walked into the situation with their eyes wide open. And yes, the money is a factor as well. At the very least it will cost hundreds of thousands of dollars to rescue them. I would rather see that money go to keeping more teachers at work or feeding homeless people or emergency services.

And no I wouldn't say the same thing about rescuing an animal. As stated above, the animal didn't purposely and carelessly walk into the situation. If they had been there trying to help that would be one thing, or even just as tourists. But instead they were there forcing their views on others.

To me they seem like pretty selfish people, and while I'm sure they would think it was awful if someone got hurt or killed rescuing them, I doubt they would be very heartbroken over it.

They were on a self-serving mission to begin with, knowingly walked into a dangerous situation, then sent out a distress signal expecting others to risk their lives saving them. They should just pay whatever the ransom is since it's their own fault they are where they are and that will save others from having to risk their lives.

#10 Old 02-21-2011, 04:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotoshave View Post

stupids idiots, but yes, they should be rescued. and then perhaps charged for the fees of the rescue.

For once I agree.
#11 Old 02-21-2011, 04:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Well if they don't make it, these people definitely deserve the Darwin Award for sailing near the coast of Somalia in a yacht. They knew they were in dangerous waters (and even cut back using radio and satellite systems so their location couldn't be tracked), but they were caught anyway. This is one of the stupidest moves I've heard in a long time. The risk was huge.

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#12 Old 02-21-2011, 04:53 PM

Yea, the risk was huge but they weighed the odds and took a chance. It didn't work out for them but their actions weren't stupid. They were doing something they felt strongly about, not causing harm, and some violent a##holes kidnapped them. I hope they're rescued.
#13 Old 02-21-2011, 05:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post

Yea, the risk was huge but they weighed the odds and took a chance.

The problem is that the chance that THEY chose to take means that rescuers have to get involved, because I believe that when Americans are taken hostage anywhere in the world the U.S. government gets involved and tries to rescue them. Part of your responsible assessment of accetable risk needs to be who else might be hurt in the event that things go wrong.

And I do think missionaries whose work consists of just passing out bibles and trying to convert the natives cause harm.

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#14 Old 02-21-2011, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irizary View Post

The problem is that the chance that THEY chose to take means that rescuers have to get involved, because I believe that when Americans are taken hostage anywhere in the world the U.S. government gets involved and tries to rescue them. Part of your responsible assessment of accetable risk needs to be who else might be hurt in the event that things go wrong.

It's the freaking military. It's what they do.
#15 Old 02-21-2011, 05:10 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't know, I feel like they should be helped, but I also think they made a stupid decision. It also annoys me how any time an American citizen or anchor etc is in danger in another country, we rush to help them, but people from other countries are in danger and we just say "what a shame". Earthquake in Haiti? "Oh no save the Americans that are there!" We should be helping people to help them, not just because they're part of the "BEST COUNTRY EVER!". Compassion for all, not pick and choose.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will then know peace" - Jimi Hendrix
#16 Old 02-21-2011, 05:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by whisper View Post

It's unfair for someone's husband/wife, son/daughter or father/mother have to risk their life for another person's stupidity.

If you go into that field, you expect to risk your life to save others. If we don't go after them because they were stupid, then we have to stop sending help to any stupid people. There will be a lot of crispy critters I suppose because a lot of fires are caused by people being stupid.

I think the main reason you don't want them rescued is because they are *gasp* religious.
#17 Old 02-21-2011, 05:36 PM
Banned

They shouldn't be left for dead, but they're idiots IMHO.
#18 Old 02-21-2011, 05:37 PM
Banned

Quote:

^^
#19 Old 02-21-2011, 06:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

If we don't go after them because they were stupid, then we have to stop sending help to any stupid people.

Wolfie, I'm having trouble squaring (what I think is) your stance on universal healthcare (which is life and death for many people) with your stance on rescuing people who clearly got into trouble on their own volition, and now taxpayers are going to be rescuing them at great expense...?

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#20 Old 02-21-2011, 06:11 PM
Red
Veggie Regular

Quote:

They should just pay whatever the ransom is since it's their own fault they are where they are and that will save others from having to risk their lives.

Right. Like some women should pay for their own rape kits, 'cause you know they were stupid and probably asking for it.
#21 Old 02-21-2011, 06:14 PM
Veggie Regular

I have stated there need to be changes in our health care system. I just don't want the government in charge after seeing first hand how they have mismanaged Medicare and Medicaid.

So does anyone have an opinion on where to draw the line between which stupid people we save and which ones we don't?
#22 Old 02-21-2011, 06:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Just like the stupid hiker laws.

~Ok, she's deranged. But so, so playful.~
#23 Old 02-21-2011, 06:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post

Right. Like some women should pay for their own rape kits, 'cause you know they were stupid and probably asking for it.

Your comparison implies that the victims of rape are deliberately walking into situations where there is proof that a rapist is present and looking for a victim. Good job.

~Ok, she's deranged. But so, so playful.~
#24 Old 02-21-2011, 07:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Of course they should be rescued! No one deserves to be kidnapped by pirates. C'mon.
#25 Old 02-21-2011, 08:19 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post

There's a big difference between a woman who goes on a date with someone who appears to be a nice guy and someone who goes into an area in a YACHT where multiple people were previously and recently kidnapped.

#26 Old 02-21-2011, 08:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

This

Quote:

+2

Quote:

Yea, the risk was huge but they weighed the odds and took a chance. It didn't work out for them but their actions weren't stupid. They were doing something they felt strongly about, not causing harm, and some violent a##holes kidnapped them. I hope they're rescued.

This

Quote:

It's the freaking military. It's what they do.

Yep

Quote:

I think the main reason you don't want them rescued is because they are *gasp* religious.

Yep (I'm not religious, btw)

Quote:

So does anyone have an opinion on where to draw the line between which stupid people we save and which ones we don't?

That's a very good question.
#27 Old 02-21-2011, 09:00 PM
Veggie Regular

What if they were not passing out bibles? What if they were just sight seeing around Madagascar? Would it be okay if we rescue them then?
#28 Old 02-21-2011, 09:21 PM
Contributing Member

I don't have a problem with them being religious, but the fact they were imposing their views on others and that was the sole reason they were there. If they had just been there innocently sight seeing, trying to visit every church in the area or whatever and it was assumed to be a safe area and they were unlucky enough to be kidnapped, then we should help them.

#29 Old 02-21-2011, 09:33 PM
Veggie Regular

We should help them. And as mentioned earlier, that is what the military is for. It it highly unlikely that they will get it over on the US armed services.

90% of the time when something bad happens to you, you have done something stupid. I am really glad that in the times in my life when I did something stupid I was not abandoned.

This is like saying, "Hey, he was the one that chose to buy a sports car and drive it at an unsafe speed. Why should we waste our resouces by sending emergency services out to help him?"

These are still Americans afforded the same protections as everyone else.
#30 Old 02-21-2011, 09:48 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

I don't have a problem with them being religious, but the fact they were imposing their views on others and that was the sole reason they were there. If they had just been there innocently sight seeing, trying to visit every church in the area or whatever and it was assumed to be a safe area and they were unlucky enough to be kidnapped, then we should help them.

I'm not a fan of their reasons for being there either, but it would still be immoral to just leave them to die.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page