SNL poke fun at transexuals - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#1 Old 02-02-2011, 06:48 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Rotoshave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,744


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8djWhqZ4hu4

I never liked this show to begin with... but to poke fun at already ostracized people who are struggling for recognition, for civil rights and to mock the challenges they face everyday for people to recognize them by their true gender... that's just downright low. Transsexuals are not freaks to be laughed at. They are human beings. Not acceptable, SNL. If you want to make fun of someone, make fun of white yuppies or politicians, not people who struggle everyday against a lack of respect and civil liberties.

"It is far better to be happy than to have your bodies act as graveyards for animals. Accordingly, the apostle Matthew partook of seeds, nuts and vegetables, without flesh"- Clement of Alexandria
Rotoshave is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 02-02-2011, 06:57 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Sevenseas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 25,067
Yeah I felt uncomfortable when I saw that in the episode. Apparently GLAAD also came against it.

They also tend to have maybe 1 funny sketch in an episode, so maybe they should fire the whole writing team, including that hack Seth Meyers -- who has this same stupid grin whenever he shows his face -- and hire some new talent.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

Sevenseas is offline  
#3 Old 02-02-2011, 08:18 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Rotoshave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,744
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

Yeah I felt uncomfortable when I saw that in the episode. Apparently GLAAD also came against it.

Really? I've heard that GLAAD tends to ignore trans rights in favor of advocating for homosexual rights, with the belief that having transexuals on the band wagon would scare off heterosexual voters. Well, good for them. I hope they keep it up. GLAAD has a petition for SNL to apologize going: http://www.glaad.org/tellsnl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

They also tend to have maybe 1 funny sketch in an episode, so maybe they should fire the whole writing team, including that hack Seth Meyers -- who has this same stupid grin whenever he shows his face -- and hire some new talent.

I agree. I'd much rather watch Stewart or Colbert. Now, there's some real talent.

"It is far better to be happy than to have your bodies act as graveyards for animals. Accordingly, the apostle Matthew partook of seeds, nuts and vegetables, without flesh"- Clement of Alexandria
Rotoshave is offline  
#4 Old 02-02-2011, 08:21 AM
Veggie Regular
 
*AHIMSA*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 10,728
I <3 Colbert! I haven't watched SNL for maybe 15 years? More? I just don't find most of the people on there to be FUNNY even.

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
*AHIMSA* is offline  
#5 Old 02-02-2011, 08:23 AM
Veggie Regular
 
LilBigBug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,914
SNL stopped being funny when Tina Fey left to pursue other things. She was the best writer they had.

Did you write the book of love, and do you have faith in God above,
If the Bible tells you so? Do you believe in rock Ân roll,
Can music save your mortal soul, And can you teach me how to dance real slow?
LilBigBug is offline  
#6 Old 02-02-2011, 08:36 AM
Veggie Regular
 
KirstenKat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,189
I like SNL but all there material lately is crap. really dissapointed they did this.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will then know peace" - Jimi Hendrix
KirstenKat is offline  
#7 Old 02-02-2011, 08:42 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Nishani's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 7,577
The quality of SNL humour has always been up and down over it's history. Every few years they seem to go through a bit of a lull.

m8itcanw8.com
Nishani is offline  
#8 Old 02-02-2011, 08:22 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Bluejeans84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 526
I'll be honest, I didn't even know what SNL was. I still don't. I don't want to waste my time researching them.

Chillin' in my blue jeans!
Bluejeans84 is offline  
#9 Old 02-02-2011, 08:27 PM
Super Moderator
 
Werewolf Girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 16,664
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilBigBug View Post

SNL stopped being funny when Tina Fey left to pursue other things. She was the best writer they had.

Agreed, I pretty much never watch it anymore.

Also this: Not cool.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
Werewolf Girl is offline  
#10 Old 02-03-2011, 06:27 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Rotoshave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,744
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluejeans84 View Post

I'll be honest, I didn't even know what SNL was. I still don't. I don't want to waste my time researching them.

Saturday Night Live, a comedy show here in America that isn't very funny anymore.

"It is far better to be happy than to have your bodies act as graveyards for animals. Accordingly, the apostle Matthew partook of seeds, nuts and vegetables, without flesh"- Clement of Alexandria
Rotoshave is offline  
#11 Old 02-03-2011, 06:49 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Pariah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotoshave View Post

Saturday Night Live, a comedy show here in America that isn't very funny anymore.

No matter what SevenSeas says, it hasn't been funny in almost 30 years. It was hilarious prior to that.

On the topic at hand... I dunno. I certainly see your point, but I can also see that they're being satirical. Either way, the skit is still not funny.

I just have one of those faces. People come up to me and say, "What's wrong?" Nothing. "Well, it takes more energy to frown than it does to smile." Yeah, you know it takes more energy to point that out than it does to leave me alone? -Bill Hicks
Pariah is offline  
#12 Old 02-03-2011, 07:04 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Sevenseas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 25,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pariah View Post

No matter what SevenSeas says, it hasn't been funny in almost 30 years. It was hilarious prior to that.

What's the period when the Rosanna-Danna stuff appeared? That must not have been too good at least.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

Sevenseas is offline  
#13 Old 02-03-2011, 08:47 AM
Veggie Regular
 
peacefulveglady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chicagoland IL area
Posts: 2,272
SNL stopped being funny in the 90's after the 90's they became stupider. As for making fun of transgender that is hogwash and it gets me angry they benefit to more to making fun of people they don't understand. They don't have control what they were born with or like.
peacefulveglady is offline  
#14 Old 02-03-2011, 08:54 AM
Veggie Regular
 
rockette79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 456
I don't think the sketch was funny, but I also don't think we should expect anything to be "off limits" for a comedy show like SNL. While they are making fun of trans-sexual people, I took it more as a commentary on those stupid drug commercials.

~Ok, she's deranged. But so, so playful.~
rockette79 is offline  
#15 Old 02-03-2011, 08:58 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Amy SF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Southern California
Posts: 20,217
I stopped watching SNL in 1980 when they got rid of the original cast and the original writers. I tuned in to see the "new" SNL and instantly hated it, so I quit watching on the spot. I haven't missed it one iota in 30 years.

*this space not for sale*
Amy SF is offline  
#16 Old 02-03-2011, 09:17 AM
mlp
Banned
 
mlp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 8,995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy SF View Post

I stopped watching SNL in 1980 when they got rid of the original cast and the original writers. I tuned in to see the "new" SNL and instantly hated it, so I quit watching on the spot. I haven't missed it one iota in 30 years.

Same here. I have looked in on it occasionally since, and have never found it worthwhile to watch an entire show.
mlp is offline  
#17 Old 02-03-2011, 09:20 AM
Veggie Regular
 
delicioso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nishani View Post

The quality of SNL humour has always been up and down over it's history. Every few years they seem to go through a bit of a lull.

Exactly. Some of the casts have been amazing and some have not.
delicioso is offline  
#18 Old 02-03-2011, 10:09 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Sevenseas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 25,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockette79 View Post

I don't think the sketch was funny, but I also don't think we should expect anything to be "off limits" for a comedy show like SNL. While they are making fun of trans-sexual people, I took it more as a commentary on those stupid drug commercials.

No topic should be off limits. However, various approaches to various topics should. For instance, having a sketch about Jews should not be off limits, but having an anti-semitic sketch should.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

Sevenseas is offline  
#19 Old 02-03-2011, 05:16 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 10,763
I thought it was funny. And they homed right in on the central - and untrue - idea that drives people to have sex change operations: "you deserve to be in the body you want." The fact is, some people have some bodies and some have others. While sometimes bodies can be change, by drugs and surgery - other time, they simply cannot. If you lose a leg, but you want to have a body that has 2 legs: too bad for you. At present, there is just no way to grow a new leg for you, and put you in a 2-legged body; at present, no matter how much you think you "deserve" two legs. There is just no "right" to have "the body you want." Yet this seems to really be what many transexuals really think. And it is good to make fun of that. Nor can anyone be changed from a human to a cat, or vice versa. It is only because men and women are really very close to each other, and differ only in small ways, that experts in medicine and surgery can transform someone from one to the other. Other changes - such as growing that leg to replace the missing leg - are impossible.
soilman is offline  
#20 Old 02-03-2011, 05:39 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Sevenseas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 25,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by soilman View Post

I thought it was funny. And they homed right in on the central - and untrue - idea that drives people to have sex change operations: "you deserve to be in the body you want." The fact is, some people have some bodies and some have others. While sometimes bodies can be change, by drugs and surgery - other time, they simply cannot. If you lose a leg, but you want to have a body that has 2 legs: too bad for you. At present, there is just no way to grow a new leg for you, and put you in a 2-legged body; at present, no matter how much you think you "deserve" two legs. There is just no "right" to have "the body you want." Yet this seems to really be what many transexuals really think. And it is good to make fun of that. Nor can anyone be changed from a human to a cat, or vice versa. It is only because men and women are really very close to each other, and differ only in small ways, that experts in medicine and surgery can transform someone from one to the other. Other changes - such as growing that leg to replace the missing leg - are impossible.

So what you're saying is that the impossibility of making one change (growing a leg) is a justification for making fun of a marginalized group of people who rely on the real possibility of doing another kind of change (sex change)?

Hmm.. your logic doesn't quite sit right with me. And when I say "doesn't quite sit right with me", I mean that, not only did it not sit, it left the room before the idea of sitting could even be discussed.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

Sevenseas is offline  
#21 Old 02-03-2011, 07:45 PM
Veggie Regular
 
dormouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 6,609
I don't like that transsexuality is the butt of some of the jokes in the sketch. I think it could be handled with more taste and still been funny, because the mockery of birth control commercials is quite funny.

Some people just think men in drag is inherently hilarious.
dormouse is offline  
#22 Old 02-03-2011, 09:09 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 10,763
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

So what you're saying is that the impossibility of making one change (growing a leg) is a justification for making fun of a marginalized group of people who rely on the real possibility of doing another kind of change (sex change)?

Hmm.. your logic doesn't quite sit right with me. And when I say "doesn't quite sit right with me", I mean that, not only did it not sit, it left the room before the idea of sitting could even be discussed.

Err, no. That's not what I'm saying. Furthermore, if you change your sex and then move somewhere where people don't know you, there is no reason you would be marginalized. No-one would even know that you changed your sex. I would imagine that I've probably interacted with half a dozen people every year, who changed their sex, without even realizing I was interacting with such a person.

People who wish to have different bodies, do not "rely" on changing their bodies. They can live, and maybe even be happy, in the bodies they have, even though they might prefer different bodies. People who have lost a leg do not "rely" on any kind of medical procedure to restore their leg. They some how manage to live, even live happily, without growing a new leg. They don't even rely on a prosthetic leg, or a wheel chair. Even tho missing a leg is far more of a problem in living, than having male genitals and secondary sexual characteristics when you wished you had female genitals and secondary sexual characteristics. They may not even need to rely on help from other people, to get them things they cannot easily get to themselves, because of the locomotion disability that loss of a leg causes. I fail to see what is so terrible about not having the body you would like to have. Few of us do. Mostly everyone thinks they would like this changed, or that changed. They aren't miserable as a result. They manage anyway. Except for a few, who make themselves feel misearable as a result - often because of a slight abnormality that most people don't even notice: my butt is too big, or too small; I've got too much flab on my arm, or not enough; I wish my hair was straight, curly; my legs are too short, i wish I had longer legs; etcetera. So what that you wish you were "in" man's, woman's body, but are in a woman's, man's body. You can manage with the body you have. The fact that people make themselves miserable because they have too many, or not enough, freckles, is funny. So is the fact that people make themselves miserable, by obsessing about having the "wrong" body. It is a minor difference, that between male and female. And worrying about being in the wrong body could well be just as ridiculous about worrying about having poor freckle patterns, and wishing you had them spaced closer together on your cheeks and further apart on your forehead. And something that is fun to poke fun at.
soilman is offline  
#23 Old 02-03-2011, 09:42 PM
Veggie Regular
 
rockette79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 456
The way a transsexual person feels about their body is not the same as a person wishing they didn't have curly hair or freckles. It is a much deeper issue.

I also find it strange that you would so flippantly say that transsexual people should leave their homes, families, and friends to move where no one knows their history. That is not an easy decision for anyone and I am sure it is especially hard for those who have difficulty finding acceptance from society at large.

~Ok, she's deranged. But so, so playful.~
rockette79 is offline  
#24 Old 02-03-2011, 09:43 PM
Veggie Regular
 
saxyphonist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,250
^^ Obviously does not get it.

don't take my life away, don't take my life away.
saxyphonist is offline  
#25 Old 02-03-2011, 10:51 PM
Veggie Regular
 
PiSis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 632
been a big fan of this show from the beginning and they've had some off seasons.
and they definitely have some off sketches. this is one of them.

carpe vegiem
PiSis is offline  
#26 Old 02-04-2011, 12:15 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Pariah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

What's the period when the Rosanna-Danna stuff appeared? That must not have been too good at least.

Hey, don't be dissin' Gilda Radner, dude. She is missed.

I just have one of those faces. People come up to me and say, "What's wrong?" Nothing. "Well, it takes more energy to frown than it does to smile." Yeah, you know it takes more energy to point that out than it does to leave me alone? -Bill Hicks
Pariah is offline  
#27 Old 02-04-2011, 02:14 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Sevenseas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 25,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by soilman View Post

Err, no. That's not what I'm saying.

So the analogy of missing a leg (and the impossibility of replacing a leg) was not intended to have any relevance to sex change operations, but was more of a random comment about some unrelated topic? Point taken. On that note, may I just say that the French countryside can be very beautiful.

Quote:
Furthermore, if you change your sex and then move somewhere where people don't know you, there is no reason you would be marginalized. No-one would even know that you changed your sex. I would imagine that I've probably interacted with half a dozen people every year, who changed their sex, without even realizing I was interacting with such a person.

Transsexuals are marginalized as a group in "our" culture. Cultural marginalization will always be to some extent internalized, even if one doesn't have to experience it in social interactions in the exceptional circumstances you (for some reason) brought up.

Quote:
People who wish to have different bodies, do not "rely" on changing their bodies. They can live, and maybe even be happy, in the bodies they have, even though they might prefer different bodies. People who have lost a leg do not "rely" on any kind of medical procedure to restore their leg. They some how manage to live, even live happily, without growing a new leg. They don't even rely on a prosthetic leg, or a wheel chair. Even tho missing a leg is far more of a problem in living, than having male genitals and secondary sexual characteristics when you wished you had female genitals and secondary sexual characteristics. They may not even need to rely on help from other people, to get them things they cannot easily get to themselves, because of the locomotion disability that loss of a leg causes. I fail to see what is so terrible about not having the body you would like to have. Few of us do. Mostly everyone thinks they would like this changed, or that changed. They aren't miserable as a result. They manage anyway. Except for a few, who make themselves feel misearable as a result - often because of a slight abnormality that most people don't even notice: my butt is too big, or too small; I've got too much flab on my arm, or not enough; I wish my hair was straight, curly; my legs are too short, i wish I had longer legs; etcetera. So what that you wish you were "in" man's, woman's body, but are in a woman's, man's body. You can manage with the body you have. The fact that people make themselves miserable because they have too many, or not enough, freckles, is funny. So is the fact that people make themselves miserable, by obsessing about having the "wrong" body. It is a minor difference, that between male and female. And worrying about being in the wrong body could well be just as ridiculous about worrying about having poor freckle patterns, and wishing you had them spaced closer together on your cheeks and further apart on your forehead. And something that is fun to poke fun at.

First of all, SNL did not make fun of the belief that one "must" have a different body. They made fun of transsexuals and sex change as such, and apparently you identify with that mocking since you seem to be pissed off about a belief that you attribute to transsexuals.

Secondly, it's good that you have established these standards for what bodily changes are acceptable and reasonable and what are not, so that whenever someone is pondering about what kind of changes might be acceptable, they can consult you in this matter and get their silly misconceptions straightened out. I am sure your position comes from a place of empathetic understanding of what role problems in gender identity play in one's self-image and wellbeing.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

Sevenseas is offline  
#28 Old 02-04-2011, 08:30 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Rotoshave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,744
Quote:
Originally Posted by soilman View Post

People who wish to have different bodies, do not "rely" on changing their bodies. They can live, and maybe even be happy, in the bodies they have, even though they might prefer different bodies. People who have lost a leg do not "rely" on any kind of medical procedure to restore their leg. They some how manage to live, even live happily, without growing a new leg. They don't even rely on a prosthetic leg, or a wheel chair. Even tho missing a leg is far more of a problem in living, than having male genitals and secondary sexual characteristics when you wished you had female genitals and secondary sexual characteristics. They may not even need to rely on help from other people, to get them things they cannot easily get to themselves, because of the locomotion disability that loss of a leg causes. I fail to see what is so terrible about not having the body you would like to have. Few of us do. Mostly everyone thinks they would like this changed, or that changed. They aren't miserable as a result. They manage anyway. Except for a few, who make themselves feel misearable as a result - often because of a slight abnormality that most people don't even notice: my butt is too big, or too small; I've got too much flab on my arm, or not enough; I wish my hair was straight, curly; my legs are too short, i wish I had longer legs; etcetera. So what that you wish you were "in" man's, woman's body, but are in a woman's, man's body. You can manage with the body you have. The fact that people make themselves miserable because they have too many, or not enough, freckles, is funny. So is the fact that people make themselves miserable, by obsessing about having the "wrong" body. It is a minor difference, that between male and female. And worrying about being in the wrong body could well be just as ridiculous about worrying about having poor freckle patterns, and wishing you had them spaced closer together on your cheeks and further apart on your forehead. And something that is fun to poke fun at.

No. Being trans-sexual is not about having a "preference" for a different body, no matter how deeply felt, like someone would have a preference for a firmer butt, bigger breasts, or skinnier body. Trans-sexuals suffer from a condition know as gender dysphoria in which mentally and psychologically one is a woman, but biologically one is a male, or vise versa. Transsexuals have all the mental and psychological cues of being a woman, and yet they are stuck in a man's body. Not having their internal gender identity line up with the external gender reality creates much psychological stress. So transsexuals "preference" for a different body is much more than that, it runs much deeper. Their identity is wrapped up in one gender, which is contradicted by their physical gender. They are a woman in a man's body. It's not like someone who wants to be skinnier or have less freckles has an identity wrapped up in the body they hope to achieve. They might day dream about their new bodies, but their preference is not identity forming.

Quote:
Gender identity disorder (GID) is the formal diagnosis used by psychologists and physicians to describe persons who experience significant gender dysphoria (discontent with the biological sex they were born with). It is a psychiatric classification and describes the attributes related to transgenderism.

Gender identity disorder in children is usually reported as "having always been there" since childhood, and is considered clinically distinct from GID which appears in adolescence or adulthood, which has been reported by some as intensifying over time.[1] As gender identity develops in children, so do sex-role stereotypes. Sex-role stereotypes are the beliefs, characteristics and behaviors of individual cultures, that are deemed normal and appropriate for boys and girls to possess. These "norms" are influenced by ones family and friends, the mass-media, their community and other socializing agents.[2] Since many cultures strongly disapprove of cross-gender behavior, it often results in significant problems for affected persons and those in close relationships with them. In many cases, discomfort is also reported as stemming from the feeling that one's body is "wrong" or meant to be different.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gender_identity_disorder

"It is far better to be happy than to have your bodies act as graveyards for animals. Accordingly, the apostle Matthew partook of seeds, nuts and vegetables, without flesh"- Clement of Alexandria
Rotoshave is offline  
#29 Old 02-04-2011, 08:50 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Sevenseas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 25,067
So wait, you're saying that gender is somehow more central to a person's sense of self and everyday life than freckles are? Surely you jest.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

Sevenseas is offline  
#30 Old 02-04-2011, 09:59 AM
Veggie Regular
 
SomebodyElse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: In a California Ghost Town
Posts: 7,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotoshave View Post

Transsexuals have all the mental and psychological cues of being a woman, and yet they are stuck in a man's body. Not having their internal gender identity line up with the external gender reality creates much psychological stress.

But where does this internal gender identity come from, if gender, and especially gender stereotypes, are social and cultural constructs that do not stem from biology? If society were to stop believing that one's sense of identity depends upon the sex of the body one is born into would this psychological stress still exist?

www.thesaucyvegan.com
SomebodyElse is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off