SNL poke fun at transexuals - Page 4 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#91 Old 02-14-2011, 07:57 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nishani View Post

I see now the real reason for you not liking me to play amateur psychologist on the net, because YOU obviously want that role for yourself instead.

FOI!

You make a very good point. After all, I was analyzing some specific person's particular psychological problems from a position of ignorance -- just like you tend to do -- and not at all presenting any kind of general view on what role the body plays in being human.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#92 Old 02-14-2011, 08:47 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

I was analyzing some specific person's particular psychological problems from a position of ignorance -- just like you tend to do

That may be your opinion about me, but it doesn't mean it's right - however many times you say it.

m8itcanw8.com
#93 Old 02-14-2011, 09:33 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

That may be your opinion about me, but it doesn't mean it's right - however many times you say it.

Perhaps I should have replaced my subjective characterization with a fact about your people skills: in your overbearing Dr. Phil antics you've managed to be tactless enough to make someone cry (in the now closed unpopular opinions thread).

But we're off topic (which you started); let's get back to SNL or sex changes or even gender identity.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

#94 Old 02-14-2011, 04:57 PM
Veggie Regular

I didn't drag it off-topic, all I did was point out your double standard WRT playing amateur psychologist.

It was YOU that took it off-topic by actually naming the the unpopular opinions thread in this thread and then you elaborated further by giving your one-eyed opinion what you wrongly claim I did in it. *rolls eyes*

For the record, I didn't MAKE anyone cry. There were several people in that thread with Social Anxiety Disorder. One of the features of that disorder is seriously over-reacting to things that people say to you. There's nothing in that thread that I said that was actually so terrible - just some stuff that they needed to hear about how to deal with SAD, and not what they WANTED to hear - so they got upset.

And I was NOT giving my opinion in that thread, this one, or any other thread in a professional capacity like you tried to make out. I was giving my opinion as a VB'er and former SAD sufferer which I'm entitled to do. I never start out discussions by saying "hey listen to me I'm VB's resident qualified nurse and counsellor!" but when anyone gets threatened by an opinion of mine and then kicks off at me with "how could you possibly know about psychological issues!" in a pretty rude way (as Annia did), you can bet your arse that I'm going to mention that I have some credentials if they really want to know, but I certainly don't go around the board bringing it up first, or giving out advice in a professional capacity. Never have, never would. So pull your head in clown boy.

m8itcanw8.com
#95 Old 02-15-2011, 05:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

There's nothing in that thread that I said that was actually so terrible - just some stuff that they needed to hear about how to deal with SAD, and not what they WANTED to hear - so they got upset.

Thanks for proving my point about being overbearing. Jesus.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

#96 Old 02-15-2011, 10:56 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

For the record, I didn't MAKE anyone cry. There were several people in that thread with Social Anxiety Disorder. One of the features of that disorder is seriously over-reacting to things that people say to you. There's nothing in that thread that I said that was actually so terrible - just some stuff that they needed to hear about how to deal with SAD, and not what they WANTED to hear - so they got upset.

I remember that thread. Telling someone with SAD that they've lost their spark as a human being is a terrible thing to say and not supportive or helpful.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#97 Old 02-16-2011, 08:30 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

I remember that thread. Telling someone with SAD that they've lost their spark as a human being is a terrible thing to say and not supportive or helpful.

Your version of events is neither the whole truth or in context.

What ACTUALLY happened was that we were having a discussion about wearing iPods, and more than one person was saying some quite negative, angry and misanthropic comments about members of the public being near them on public transport, and how they did not want to get involved with anybody around them, and that they basically wore their iPods as a defense mechanism to keep people away so they didn't have to talk to anybody.

It was kind of hateful and angry sounding stuff and both me and Rotoshave thought that it was a bit sad to feel that way. I then made a comment saying that I believed that if you can't spare someone a few minutes of your time to have a quick chat if they speak to you, I think you've lost your spark as a human being.

Which is true! If you react that negatively to people all the time, you've crossed a line from functional behaviour into avoidant behaviour, which isn't a healthy way to live for anyone. I'm entitled to express that opinion - just as the other people were entitled to say how much they hate people being near them and talking to them.

At that point in the thread, we were NOT discussing SAD, I didn't know in advance that anyone else had SAD. And it was only after one of the posters began to make further remarks that appeared dysfunctional in nature, that I realised that she had an actual disorder of some kind.

That's how events actually unfolded and I'm pretty disgusted with you that you would take my comment so out of context to make it look like I knowingly tried to upset a person with SAD on purpose. Have a think about it, why the hell would someone like me who nurses and counsels people for a living and has overcome SAD herself, want to act unsupportive? It doesn't make any sense. And I think it's pretty low and mean of you to attempt to make it look like I did.

m8itcanw8.com
#98 Old 02-16-2011, 12:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

It was kind of hateful and angry sounding stuff and both me and Rotoshave thought that it was a bit sad to feel that way.

There was the difference though that Rotoshave just lamented the increasing lack of social interaction in culture, but never went out of his way to judge the people who disagreed with him, and was cordial and appropriate throughout. You, on the other hand, went straight for some far-out over-emotional accusation like "losing one's spark as a human being".

Quote:
why the hell would someone like me who nurses and counsels people for a living and has overcome SAD herself, want to act unsupportive? It doesn't make any sense.

Indeed. And why the hell would your reaction to having hurt someone in that thread be "they needed to hear my opinion because I'm so right" (as in your previous post)? It doesn't make much sense either, but so it goes. The mind boggles and all that

"and I stand

upon a mountain

#99 Old 02-16-2011, 03:59 PM
Veggie Regular

MOD POST: Back on topic, please. The thread has derailed big time and it needs to get back on track!
Please don't bring it to the point where another thread is closed due to incessant arguing and bickering
Quality on-topic conversation from here on in, mmkay?
#100 Old 02-16-2011, 04:04 PM
Veggie Regular

So... how bout them transexuals?
#101 Old 02-16-2011, 04:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger View Post

So... how bout them transexuals?

I met a Methodist the other day who was a transsexual. The only other transsexual I know, a friend, is an atheist, so I was kind of surprised. She's trying to become the first ordained Methodist transsexual minister. I think that is pretty cool.

"It is far better to be happy than to have your bodies act as graveyards for animals. Accordingly, the apostle Matthew partook of seeds, nuts and vegetables, without flesh"- Clement of Alexandria
#102 Old 02-16-2011, 05:14 PM
mlp
Banned

I think it's pretty cool too. But why would you be surprised at a transsexual being a person of faith?
#103 Old 02-16-2011, 05:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlp View Post

I think it's pretty cool too. But why would you be surprised at a transsexual being a person of faith?

I dunno. I guess I extrapolated from the one person I knew and figured that, since I know the church is not very friendly to transsexuals, that many would avoid it.

"It is far better to be happy than to have your bodies act as graveyards for animals. Accordingly, the apostle Matthew partook of seeds, nuts and vegetables, without flesh"- Clement of Alexandria
#104 Old 02-16-2011, 08:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotoshave View Post

I dunno. I guess I extrapolated from the one person I knew and figured that, since I know the church is not very friendly to transsexuals, that many would avoid it.

Some people work from outside the system, and some work from inside it. Since many transexual and transgender people do not go around telling everyone they meet about their gender identity experiences, you may have met other transpeople who are people of faith and not known it.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#105 Old 02-16-2011, 09:53 PM
Veggie Regular

The video has been removed due to copyright whatnots, so I can't actually watch it. No matter what my personal beliefs are, and personally I think there are way better things to make fun of than transsexuals and that making fun of transsexuals is almost always in bad taste, people have the right to make fun of them and I applaud them for doing it. I belong to a very visible minority and we get ridiculed, pigeon-holed and just plain ostracized ALL THE TIME. But do I think people shouldn't have the right to ridicule me? No. Free speech and all that.
#106 Old 02-17-2011, 10:26 AM
Banned

Well, aren't you edgy.
#107 Old 02-17-2011, 03:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Everything is funny when they're spoofing "the other guys". When they start spoofing causes you care about, suddenly they suck. I can go back to the 2008 elections and find threads where VB praises SNL's genius.

--
The Twilight Is My Robe
#108 Old 02-17-2011, 04:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by draconian View Post

I can go back to the 2008 elections and find threads where VB praises SNL's genius.

One could have assumed that you would see transphobia as just a tad different from some Democrat vs. Republican bickering, in terms of how it affects real people and makes them feel, but I guess such an assumption would have been hopelessly optimistic.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

#109 Old 02-17-2011, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

One could have assumed that you would see transphobia as just a tad different from some Democrat vs. Republican bickering, in terms of how it affects real people and makes them feel, but I guess such an assumption would have been hopelessly optimistic.

Democratic and Republican bickering does have real effects on peoples lives including on how it makes them feel. In fact, it's that very bickering that may or may not grant equlal rights under the law to the LGBT community. It's really pretty consequential.
#110 Old 02-17-2011, 05:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post

Democratic and Republican bickering does have real effects on peoples lives including on how it makes them feel. In fact, it's that very bickering that may or may not grant equlal rights under the law to the LGBT community. It's really pretty consequential.

I disagree, I do not think impersonating and mocking Democrats or impersonating and mocking Republicans, or Democrats and Republicans attacking each other with various kinds of rhetoric, is about civil rights. It's consequential only in the negative sense that it's political showmanship that shifts attention away from any real issues. There is a difference between bickering and productive discourse.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

#111 Old 02-19-2011, 04:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by soilman View Post

ISome people even want to lose a leg, arm etc. And obsess about it. And even cut off their own limbs. It's tragic. And it is also funny.

I...you...but...the...with...why...how...of...?

*slowly backs away from thread*

Enjoying the view over at http://forum.veggieviews.com/

#112 Old 02-22-2011, 01:12 PM
Veggie Regular

That's just horrible. I have two dear friends who are TS. I've seen what they have been through (especially my friend who is a TransWoman as she did not 'pass' very well originally and lived in a dodgy area). Totally unacceptable.
#113 Old 02-23-2011, 11:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tablaqueen View Post

That's just horrible. I have two dear friends who are TS. I've seen what they have been through (especially my friend who is a TransWoman as she did not 'pass' very well originally and lived in a dodgy area). Totally unacceptable.

The fact is that some people who are born women, and have no desire to become men - do not "pass" for women either. People tend to think they are men. Some women have facial hair, or lots of body hair, or both. Or for one reason or another, look alot like men. Very often they accept this very well. They often feel that the risks of extensive surgery or hair removal, to make them look more feminine, according to commonly held conceptions of what feminine should look like, are not worth the trouble. Sometimes they even take pride in their appearance, despite its being unusual.
#114 Old 02-23-2011, 11:08 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegkid View Post

I...you...but...the...with...why...how...of...?

*slowly backs away from thread*

http://www.slate.com/id/2085402/
#115 Old 02-23-2011, 11:22 AM
Veggie Regular

Most of the transexuals I know are pretty tough broads... you really have to be actually... and were unaffected by SNL poking fun at them in this way.
#116 Old 02-23-2011, 06:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Most of the transexuals I know are pretty tough broads... you really have to be actually... and were unaffected by SNL poking fun at them in this way.

Sounds like they are the ones who are "out" or "in transition" or in some way actively accepting the trans parts of who they are. For people who are closeted or unsure or simply scared to name aspects of their identity, this can have a bigger impact.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#117 Old 02-23-2011, 06:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotoshave View Post

Really? I've heard that GLAAD tends to ignore trans rights in favor of advocating for homosexual rights, with the belief that having transexuals on the band wagon would scare off heterosexual voters.

I read a book recently by a biologically-he/identify-she individual, who documented getting kicked out of a woman's festival.

The human capacity for hatred is amazing.
#118 Old 02-23-2011, 07:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

The one's I know have a tough outer shell, but inside they are pretty fragile.

m8itcanw8.com
#119 Old 02-23-2011, 07:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by das_nut View Post

I read a book recently by a biologically-he/identify-she individual, who documented getting kicked out of a woman's festival.

The human capacity for hatred is amazing.

I know transwomen who have also been kicked out of those women's festivals. I will not attend women's festivals that I know do that.

#120 Old 02-27-2011, 05:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by soilman View Post

http://www.slate.com/id/2085402/

Ha Ha! That is so funny!

...not. Just sad.

Still don't see your point.

Enjoying the view over at http://forum.veggieviews.com/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page