The Jasmine Revolt (Revolution in Egypt) - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-17-2011, 12:31 PM
American Made, Rebel Born

In Tunisia, a revolt, some say spawned by a desperate young man's suicide attempt over staggering unemployment, is growing.

Quote:
The Tunisian uprising, which succeeded in toppling Zine El Abidine Ben Ali, the Tunisian president, has brought down the walls of fear, erected by repression and marginalisation, thus restoring the Arab peoples' faith in their ability to demand social justice and end tyranny.

It is a warning to all leaders, whether supported by international or regional powers, that they are no longer immune to popular outcries of fury.

It is true that Ben Ali's flight from the country is just the beginning of an arduous path towards freedom. It is equally true that the achievements of the Tunisian people could still be contained or confiscated by the country's ruling elite, which is desperately clinging to power.

But the Tunisian intifada has placed the Arab world at a crossroads. If it fully succeeds in bringing real change to Tunis it will push the door wide open to freedom in Arab word. If it suffers a setback we shall witness unprecedented repression by rulers struggling to maintain their absolute grip on power.

Either way, a system that combined a starkly unequal distribution of wealth with the denial of freedoms has collapsed.

--source.

Tunisia (of course), doesn't have support from the United States, or any other Western Country for that matter, Islam flavored democratic uprisings don't get help if they aren't squished flat out, but they have the support of someone even more awesome:

Quote:
Among the fundamental changes the protesters have been demanding is an end to the government's repressive online censorship regime and freedom of expression.

That battle is taking place not just on the country's streets, but in internet forums, blogs, Facebook pages and Twitter feeds.

The Tunisian authorities have allegedly carried out targeted "phishing" operations: stealing users passwords to spy on them and eradicate online criticism. Websites on both sides have been hacked.

Anonymous, the loosely-knit group of international web activists that drew world attention for their "distributed denial of service" (DDoS) attacks on the servers of companies that blocked payments and server access to the whistle-blowing website, WikiLeaks, joined the fray, in solidarity with the Tunisian uprising.

Most international news organisations have no presence in the country (and, some say, a lack of interest in the protests). Media posted online by Tunisian web activists has been some of the only material that has slipped through the blackout, even if their videos and photos haven't generated quite the same enthusiastic coverage by Western media as the Iranian protest movement did in 2009.

Killing dissent

The attacks against some of the most vocal voices in the Tunisian cyber-community were sharp and swift.

Sofiene Chourabi, a journalist for Al-Tariq al-Jadid magazine and blogger known for his unabashed criticism of the Tunisian authorities, has been unable to recover his email and Facebook accounts after they were hijacked several days ago.

The first attempted hijacking of his Facebook account happened last week.

"Here we don't really have Internet, we have a national intranet"

Azyz Amamy, Tunisian web activist

"My personal account on the Facebook, including around 4200 friends, was exposed to failed hacking attempt last Friday, but I quickly recovered it after an unidentified person had taken control of it," he told Al Jazeera.

Then, on Monday, Chourabi was locked out of his Facebook and Gmail accounts.

Chourabi says he believes the Tunisian Internet Agency is responsible for hijacking his accounts. The agency has blocked access to his Facebook wall since October 2009, and his blogs are also unreachable from within Tunisia.

Several of his friends have contacted Facebook and Google asking for his accounts to be returned, to no avail.

"I think it is high time for Facebook and Google to take serious steps to protect Tunisian activists and journalists," he said in an interview via email, using a new account.

Facebook is working to ensure it can respond to all its users, Stefano Hesse, Facebook's head of communications for Europe, the Middle East and Africa, told Al Jazeera.

"One thing needs to be clear: we, as Facebook, are not censoring any content, and we had not been approached by the local government in order to do anything regarding anyone," Hesse said via email.

--source.

Does anyone think that this will go anywhere? How long until someone decides to smash it? Is Obama wrong in not supporting the fledgling democratic movement?

Go Jasmine Revolt, I knew I'd be famous for something one day.

cry havoc! and let slip the dogs of war.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-17-2011, 12:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Saw this on Reddit and thought of this thread:

"you know, nowhere in the bible does it say that jesus was not a raptor"

www.animal-adoptions.org

#3 Old 01-17-2011, 01:02 PM

nice spelling there man

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-17-2011, 01:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenickie View Post

nice spelling there man

Maybe they should consider an education reform after this ordeal.

"you know, nowhere in the bible does it say that jesus was not a raptor"

www.animal-adoptions.org

#5 Old 01-27-2011, 11:38 AM

The unrest has rapidly spread from Tunisia to Eygpt

including Anon. demanding unfettered internet return to Eygpt:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0YxaIsAJys

Spreading to Yemen:

i'm terribly excited, i can't wait to see what happens, i'm watching Tunisia closely to see if the feminists who joined the protests in headwraps and mini skirts keep the vigil and continue to insist women's rights and democracy go hand in hand.

#6 Old 01-28-2011, 12:12 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

i'm terribly excited, i can't wait to see what happens, i'm watching Tunisia closely to see if the feminists who joined the protests in headwraps and mini skirts keep the vigil and continue to insist women's rights and democracy go hand in hand.

I hope so. I hate the thought of women being oppressed like that. If not, Kenickie, would you like to go with me and fight for their rights?

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#7 Old 01-28-2011, 10:13 AM

I'm surprised this thread doesn't have 10 pages already. The internet blackout has spread from Tunisia, to Egypt, and now to Syria. Yemen is the kind of odd one out, they have pro as well as anti government demonstrations, and they are (more than anything) just the poor cousin to Qatar & Saudi Arabia. the big test will be Egypt, as it's got a stricter hold, and the protesters certainly do not have the police on their side like they did in Tunisia. Our President hasn't said the 'd' word in relation to Egypt yet, but has called for the internet & social networking sites to be restored.

this could be the biggest sea change to hit the Middle East in 30 years, or it could be nothing. The fact that Tunisia was successful is scaring Arab world leaders -- they constantly told their citizens what happened in Tunisia could never happen -- a homegrown, peaceful, revolution.

THE JASMINE REVOLUTION GOES ON. This is the most exciting thing I've seen happen. Ever. In terms of International Policy, anyway.

#8 Old 01-28-2011, 11:22 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I'm surprised this thread doesn't have 10 pages already. The internet blackout has spread from Tunisia, to Egypt, and now to Syria. Yemen is the kind of odd one out, they have pro as well as anti government demonstrations, and they are (more than anything) just the poor cousin to Qatar & Saudi Arabia. the big test will be Egypt, as it's got a stricter hold, and the protesters certainly do not have the police on their side like they did in Tunisia. Our President hasn't said the 'd' word in relation to Egypt yet, but has called for the internet & social networking sites to be restored.

this could be the biggest sea change to hit the Middle East in 30 years, or it could be nothing. The fact that Tunisia was successful is scaring Arab world leaders -- they constantly told their citizens what happened in Tunisia could never happen -- a homegrown, peaceful, revolution.

THE JASMINE REVOLUTION GOES ON. This is the most exciting thing I've seen happen. Ever. In terms of International Policy, anyway.

Yeah this is huge. I think they are finding there own versions of representative government out there. Not necessarily democracy. Something uniquely Middle Eastern. This certainly will change the USA's Middle Eastern Policy, if successful. The USA, despite all its interest in spreading "democracy" has shown in Central America that it actually is quite comfortable supporting totalitarian regimes. Since this type of government is typical in the Middle East, it'll be interesting to see how the USA acts if more liberal, representative governments are installed, ones that might not be as helpful to the US in letting unequal trade policies continue.

I've been following this closely. Certainly there is a lot of hope for change. Hopefully we will see some of that change. Right now the government is reeling and taking drastic measures to shut down the revolution. That is a good thing. They are scared. The people have a lot of momentum behind them. I just hope any new government that comes out of this won't forget the people that made it happen.

"It is far better to be happy than to have your bodies act as graveyards for animals. Accordingly, the apostle Matthew partook of seeds, nuts and vegetables, without flesh"- Clement of Alexandria
#9 Old 01-28-2011, 11:27 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post

Maybe they should consider an education reform after this ordeal.

haha, because somebody can't spell in English you think they need an education reform. You will find more people in Japan with even worse command of the English language but are still amongst the most h...aah fudge it!

Time Exists But Just On Your Wrist, So Don't Panic. Moments Last And Lifetimes Are Lost In A Day- Travis.
#10 Old 01-28-2011, 11:40 AM

a twit pic which the tweet reads:

Quote:
Protesters cheering, kissing riot police that join them -

Egypt is for real

#11 Old 01-28-2011, 11:46 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Internet and phone services - both mobile and landline - have been severely disrupted, although protesters are using proxies to work around the restrictions.

Mobile operator Vodafone Egypt said in a statement: "All mobile operators in Egypt have been instructed to suspend services in selected areas. Under Egyptian legislation the authorities have the right to issue such an order and we are obliged to comply with it."

Reports say Egyptian opposition figure Mohamed ElBaradei has been placed under house arrest. Earlier, he was soaked by water cannon and surrounded by police as he joined protesters on the streets of Cairo.

In Sinai on Friday night, BBC Arabic - quoting one of its trusted sources - said Bedouins were besieging the Sheikh Zoueid police station, calling for the police to surrender.

Also in Sinai, the BBC Arabic source said armed men took control of the road leading into the town of Rafah, in the Gaza Strip, and they have been able to take a number of policemen hostages.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12311007

"It is far better to be happy than to have your bodies act as graveyards for animals. Accordingly, the apostle Matthew partook of seeds, nuts and vegetables, without flesh"- Clement of Alexandria
#12 Old 01-28-2011, 11:49 AM

the NDP headquarters in downtown Cairo is on fire, no firefighters are on the scene -- the al jazeera page is updating so fast i can't even decide which one to follow, this is an image about internet usage in Egypt:

protesters across the world are coming together in protest & support of the Egyptian protests:

Istanbul

Quote:
Demonstrations are taking place around the world in a show of unity with protesters fighting for political change in Egypt.

In Turkey between 200 and 400 protesters held a demonstration outside the Fatih Mosque in central Istanbul after Friday prayers to lend their voices to the Egyptian cause.

Anita McNaught, Al Jazeera's correspondent in Turkey, said the mosque had become a focal point for activism since Israeli commandos raided a Turkish ship headed to Gaza last year.

"It is very much the organisations that we saw rise to prominence following the Israeli attack on the Mavi Marmara that have taken on the streets today to lend their voices in solidarity with the Egyptians," she said.

A simultaneous rally of about 50 people was also held in Ankara, the Turkish capital, where up to 50 people gathered outside the Egyptian embassy.

friday prayers:

i'm shaking this is SO BIG SO EXCITING. god, how can i help? what can i do? i don't even know!

#13 Old 01-28-2011, 11:52 AM
Veggie Regular

I like the pic the protestor is holding of Hosni Mubarak. "Dictator Mubarak, Get out of Egypt" Its funny he wrote dictator using Arabic letters but not the Arabic word itself.

Time Exists But Just On Your Wrist, So Don't Panic. Moments Last And Lifetimes Are Lost In A Day- Travis.
#14 Old 01-28-2011, 11:54 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

friday prayers:

i'm shaking this is SO BIG SO EXCITING. god, how can i help? what can i do? i don't even know!

Wow, that image is so powerful. Like Oscar Romero lifting up the elements, saying "This is my body given to you" and then being shot in the head by an assassin in the back of the chapel.

#15 Old 01-28-2011, 11:59 AM

i think it says more that the prayers are uninterrupted -- the police wouldn't dare touch anyone while they pray. the whole country would burn almost instantly if that happened -- not like that's not what's happening anyway.

i wish i could help! i don't know what to do but to keep talking about it, talking talking about it

#16 Old 01-28-2011, 12:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

i think it says more that the prayers are uninterrupted -- the police wouldn't dare touch anyone while they pray. the whole country would burn almost instantly if that happened -- not like that's not what's happening anyway.

I just love how even while protesting the people find time to pray. Like the power of the change they want for their country is derived from their faith. Reminds me of the Civil Rights era in the USA where the church led the nonviolent revolution for rights for all human beings.

#17 Old 01-28-2011, 12:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Thousands of people in Jordan have taken to the streets in protests, demanding the country's prime minister step down, and the government curb rising prices, inflation and unemployment.

In the third consecutive Friday of protests, about 3,500 opposition activists from Jordan's main Islamist opposition group, trade unions and leftist organisations gathered in the capital, waving colourful banners reading: "Send the corrupt guys to court".

The crowd denounced Samir Rifai's, the prime minister, and his unpopular policies.

Many shouted: "Rifai go away, prices are on fire and so are the Jordanians.''

Another 2,500 people also took to the streets in six other cities across the country after the noon prayers. Those protests also called for Rifai's ouster.

Members of the Islamic Action Front, the political wing of the Muslim Brotherhood and Jordan's largest opposition party, swelled the ranks of the demonstrators, massing outside the al-Husseini mosque in Amman and filling the downtown streets with their prayer lines.

King Abdullah has promised some reforms, particularly on a controversial election law. But many believe it is unlikely he will bow to demands for the election of the prime minister and Cabinet officials, traditionally appointed by the king.

Rifai also announced a $550 million package of new subsidies in the last two weeks for fuel and staple products like rice, sugar, livestock and liquefied gas used for heating and cooking. It also includes a raise for civil servants and security personnel.

http://english.aljazeera.net/news/mi...157509196.html

#18 Old 01-28-2011, 12:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Kenickie, are you watching the live video feed? http://english.aljazeera.net/watch_now/

#19 Old 01-28-2011, 12:11 PM

holy ****

i'm trying to get ahold of my jordanian friend through skype, he lives in Canada but is traveling around right now, i'd like to find him and see what is going on - -we skyped last night and he was in San Francisco, he's been in south america (re, away from internet) for most of this time, he will be so excited to hear it's spreading to his home country!

#20 Old 01-28-2011, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotoshave View Post

Kenickie, are you watching the live video feed? http://english.aljazeera.net/watch_now/

obsessively! but their coverage is SO MUCH and it's almost impossible to keep up! i tried to logon to twitter to see whats popping up but twitter is OVER CAPACITY. i'm almost going crazy, and it's almost time for afternoon prayers A MY GAH perhaps prayer is all i can do right now!

#21 Old 01-28-2011, 12:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

obsessively! but their coverage is SO MUCH and it's almost impossible to keep up! i tried to logon to twitter to see whats popping up but twitter is OVER CAPACITY. i'm almost going crazy, and it's almost time for afternoon prayers A MY GAH perhaps prayer is all i can do right now!

I'd say. Short of starting a revolution here in the USA (which we need badly) that's all we can do, pray.

#22 Old 01-28-2011, 12:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Did you hear that?! The army is actually the president's personal guard, 22,000 strong. Mubarak lost control of the regular army, so he's using them.

#23 Old 01-28-2011, 12:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Ugh, the live feed stopped working.

#24 Old 01-28-2011, 12:39 PM

Al Jazeera reporter in Cairo: Military vehicles are ‘being stopped by protesters in its tracks’…’being surrounded by 400-500 protesters chanting down with the regime’…. says it’s not ‘flag-waving to each other like we were seeing earlier tonight.’

Quote:
”An Obama administration official says the U.S. will review its $1.5 billion in aid to Egypt based on events unfolding in the country, where the authoritarian government is struggling to extinguish huge and growing street protests.

The U.S. also warned citizens to avoid non-essential travel to Egypt and urged Americans in the country to stay put.

The official spoke on condition of anonymity because of the delicacy of the situation. Egypt has been a key U.S. ally in the volatile region. U.S. officials are now increasing calls on President Hosni Mubarak, the target of the protesters, to respond with restraint and reverse steps taken to cut off the protesters’ ability to communicate.

The decision to review assistance to Egypt is a significant step as the U.S. seeks to balance the desire to maintain stability in the region with a recognition of the unexpected scope and uncertain outcome of the protests.”

http://www.al.com/newsflash/index.ss...f7aac903bb2274

**** just got real

#25 Old 01-28-2011, 12:44 PM
Veggie Regular

The protesters are creating a barricade around the NDP's headquarters which is on fire.

#26 Old 01-28-2011, 12:48 PM

twitter is finally back up, some tweets:

wired
Cairo residents remove passwords from wi-fi routers so protesters can communicate with world http://bit.ly/g9xOdl #jan25 (via @geoplace)

Breaking News
Egyptian police knocking on door of Al Jazeera English bureau in Cairo while he continues reporting #Egypt #Jan25 http://bit.ly/dMQrgk

perhaps that's why the al jazeera feed stopped working?

#27 Old 01-28-2011, 12:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Haha, the AlJazeera reporter just asked the former Egyptian ambassador whether the US was interested in keeping Mubarak in because it suited USA interests. How true.

#28 Old 01-28-2011, 12:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Egyptian police knocking on door of Al Jazeera English bureau in Cairo while he continues reporting #Egypt #Jan25 http://bit.ly/dMQrgk

perhaps that's why the al jazeera feed stopped working?

Maybe

#29 Old 01-28-2011, 12:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Thousands of protesters try to storm foreign ministry, state TV building in Cairo.

Update.

#30 Old 01-28-2011, 12:56 PM

i can't find anymore info about this help

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page