The Jasmine Revolt (Revolution in Egypt) - Page 7 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#181 Old 02-11-2011, 10:18 AM
Veggie Regular

there seems to be no sound on the live feed

"It is far better to be happy than to have your bodies act as graveyards for animals. Accordingly, the apostle Matthew partook of seeds, nuts and vegetables, without flesh"- Clement of Alexandria
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#182 Old 02-11-2011, 10:23 AM
American Made, Rebel Born

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlp View Post

Kenicke, I think that you are the one who is exhibiting a lack of knowledge about the traditional role and the power of the military in Egypt. You do get very irritated when people don't have the same opinions as you do about your enthusiasms, whether it's revolutions or Lady Gaga, but you know what - you can learn to deal with that, or get yourself all worked up because people don't think you're always right - your choice.

this statement, after you posted in this thread not even knowing what the thread was about? i'm irritated because after every article, video, image, whatever was posted, you seemed to sum up everything with -- well that's great but nothing else is going to happen. well that's great, but the regime is never going to happen. never never never. your constant, constant negativity, about everything, EVERYTHING is infuriating. can you not see how it would be? It's not about wrong or right, but about your attitude in general. I've never seen you post anything positive in anyway on this board, ever. As mlp or mouse. It's cool that my enthusiasm about a pop star automatically leads itself to discredit my excitement about anything, or my age. I'm sick of people on this board using me as an example when needed (you remember when african prince was here and you sent me PMs thanking me for giving weight to your argument because i'm a token here?) and then dismissing me as a token when the need has expired. I think I'm finally done here.

cry havoc! and let slip the dogs of war.
#183 Old 02-11-2011, 10:24 AM
mlp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotoshave View Post

there seems to be no sound on the live feed

Al Jazeera's and MSNBC's live feeds are working for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#184 Old 02-11-2011, 10:25 AM
mlp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenickie View Post

this statement, after you posted in this thread not even knowing what the thread was about? i'm irritated because after every article, video, image, whatever was posted, you seemed to sum up everything with -- well that's great but nothing else is going to happen. well that's great, but the regime is never going to happen. never never never. your constant, constant negativity, about everything, EVERYTHING is infuriating. can you not see how it would be? It's not about wrong or right, but about your attitude in general. I've never seen you post anything positive in anyway on this board, ever. As mlp or mouse. It's cool that my enthusiasm about a pop star automatically leads itself to discredit my excitement about anything, or my age. I'm sick of people on this board using me as an example when needed (you remember when african prince was here and you sent me PMs thanking me for giving weight to your argument because i'm a token here?) and then dismissing me as a token when the need has expired. I think I'm finally done here.

O.K. - your choice.
#185 Old 02-11-2011, 10:26 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Al Jazeera's and MSNBC's live feeds are working for me.

sounds back, don't know what was going on. Statement from Supreme Council of Army forces!

Ooh, this guy is praising Mubarak. I don't think the crowds will like that.

"It is far better to be happy than to have your bodies act as graveyards for animals. Accordingly, the apostle Matthew partook of seeds, nuts and vegetables, without flesh"- Clement of Alexandria
#186 Old 02-11-2011, 10:29 AM

this should probably be merged with the jasmine revolution thread in the patch

#187 Old 02-11-2011, 10:38 AM

Quote:

O.K.

thanks for proving my point

oh, you edited

#188 Old 02-11-2011, 10:41 AM
mlp
Banned

What is going to be an immediate challenge is internal security - the police and other internal security forces are so closely associated with Mubarak and have done all the dirty work for the past several decades that it's difficult to imagine them being acceptable to the people. OTOH, the country can't function without police.
#189 Old 02-11-2011, 10:43 AM
mlp
Banned

Quote:

thanks for proving my point

oh, you edited

Yeah, I said "O.K." - and then edited to clarify, as I said before, "O.K. - your choice."

Big whooping deal.
#190 Old 02-11-2011, 10:48 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

ElBaradei is a lightning rod. He is a darling of the West

Not in the US, though. He was Director General of the IAEA during the lead up to the invasion of Iraq, saying there was no evidence of weapons before the invasion and then "I told you so" afterward. He also put the lie to the Niger yellow cake hoax. In other words, he's not afraid to speak truth to power.

The US would probably much rather have Suleiman or someone like him remain in power. Support from the military is, of course, welcome since they are heavily funded by the US.
#191 Old 02-11-2011, 11:22 AM
Banned

Except for those of you actually living in Egypt, and having personal dealings with goverment agencies and the military, and knowing many many Egyptions who have small businesses or executive positions in industry or education, where they interact with the government, I don't see how you can come to any kind of real appreciation, regarding what is going on in Egypt. Without such actual interaction, I think most of the opinions expressed here are pretty much just guessing and wishful thinking. Personally, there is very little in the US that I can really put my finger on, re how it works, except the few areas where I have had substantial dealings, such as having had a home mortgage underwritten by the fed government, and having financed a small business with gov help, and having dealt with state government in regard to collecting and paying sales tax. By forming personal relations with gov workers, and discussing things a bit beyond that which was absolutely necessary, I got an idea of the difference between what they say, and what they do. How close together or far apart they are.

Let's not forget that government, the idea of a government body, is the result of people sharing a mutual illusion. All there really are is lots of people. There are sometimes numbers of individuals who think and act as if there are government bodies, thus contributing to the illusion. Any of them could cease, at any time. The idea that "the military" is in control, in Egypt, is an illusion. The real control rests, short term, in the hand of a few people who the rest of the military chooses to believe, is their military leader. It is a faith-based belief-system. Should hordes of military grunts stop having faith in leader's decisions, they can remove his power. I might conjecture that the grunts have the real power - except for the fact that since they don't believe it, they therefore don't.
#192 Old 02-11-2011, 12:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Looks like he's gone!!
#193 Old 02-11-2011, 12:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freesia View Post

Looks like he's gone!!

Yep. http://www.aolnews.com/2011/02/11/eg...ec1_lnk3|43425

*this space not for sale*
#194 Old 02-11-2011, 12:45 PM
Veggie Regular

The head of the Arab League is calling it the "white revolution."

#195 Old 02-11-2011, 12:59 PM
mlp
Banned

This kind of open talk about *not letting* the Muslim Brotherhood gain any kind of power is so stupid and self defeating: http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...71A6PL20110211
#196 Old 02-11-2011, 01:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

This kind of open talk about *not letting* the Muslim Brotherhood gain any kind of power is so stupid and self defeating: http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...71A6PL20110211

It's the old American, "we support democracy but only if the people support the right candidate," mentality. Think of Hamas and Palestine. Or all the leftist government toppled by US support in Central and South America.

#197 Old 02-11-2011, 01:20 PM
mlp
Banned

I know - very sad.

But also incredibly stupid, because that kind of rhetoric by U.S. politicians is a gift to religious extremists.
#198 Old 02-11-2011, 01:39 PM
Veggie Regular

http://ismubarakstillpresident.com/

don't take my life away, don't take my life away.
#199 Old 02-11-2011, 01:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxyphonist View Post

http://ismubarakstillpresident.com/

((safe to say they got their internet back in Egypt then?))

"you know, nowhere in the bible does it say that jesus was not a raptor"

www.animal-adoptions.org

#200 Old 02-11-2011, 02:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Yes, it is awesome to see them out and celebrating. Reporters on CNN are saying it is like when the Berlin Wall came down. Though I dont remember much about that, I was a kid.
#201 Old 02-11-2011, 03:04 PM
Veggie Regular

this is awesome and i just hope that things unfold peacefully.
i liked Obama's speech today, especially this part (emphasis mine):
Quote:
We saw people of faith praying together and chanting, Muslims and Christians, "we are one". And we know that the strains between faiths still divide too many in this world. No single event will close that chasm immediately. These scenes remind us that we need not be defined by our differences. We can be defined by the common humanity that we share.

carpe vegiem
#202 Old 02-12-2011, 07:28 AM
Veggie Regular

I wonder if it's his words or his speechwriters that are coming up with the words. They can claim they're content now, but I know many people feel the last place they want Democracy in would be the Middle East. We'll see what happens but I don't think our government will like the results.
#203 Old 02-12-2011, 07:35 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm very happy for the Egyptian people and my two friends who emigrated from there.

I just have one of those faces. People come up to me and say, "What's wrong?" Nothing. "Well, it takes more energy to frown than it does to smile." Yeah, you know it takes more energy to point that out than it does to leave me alone? -Bill Hicks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page