The Jasmine Revolt (Revolution in Egypt) - Page 3 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#61 Old 01-28-2011, 01:56 PM
American Made, Rebel Born

https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/1018

i think that should help

cry havoc! and let slip the dogs of war.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 Old 01-28-2011, 02:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Any word from Gaza? This is undoubtedly going to change their fortunes for better or worse.
#63 Old 01-28-2011, 02:05 PM

Gaza is still reeling from the release of the Palestine Papers, so i'm not sure what else is going on there besides that at the moment. that was infuriating enough as it is, but Al Jazeera says that Gaza is concerned that Egyptians will spill into Gaza leading to an invasion by Israel. which sounds even crazier once i say that outloud, if Israel made any moves against Egyptians in Gaza or Gaza at all while Egypt is in chaos right next door, it doesn't seem like there would be any stopping it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#64 Old 01-28-2011, 02:11 PM

the death toll is somewhere around 25 between Suez, Cairo and Alexandria, and ~1100 injured according to medical sources

#65 Old 01-28-2011, 02:11 PM
mlp
Banned

I have repeatedly said that they need to make their own choices. I hope that it turns out well. My point is only that the starry eyed assumptions are perhaps naive. After all, a lot of the people who are all excited about this were equally excited about Iran just a year ago. But time will tell, so there's no point arguing.
#66 Old 01-28-2011, 02:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Mubarak's on Nile Television, or Al Jazeera feed.

"It is far better to be happy than to have your bodies act as graveyards for animals. Accordingly, the apostle Matthew partook of seeds, nuts and vegetables, without flesh"- Clement of Alexandria
#67 Old 01-28-2011, 02:23 PM

http://www.justin.tv/hoctoggle#/w/803083312/17

hosni is speaking

#68 Old 01-28-2011, 02:24 PM
Veggie Regular

He said the government has always taken the side of the poor. yeah.

"It is far better to be happy than to have your bodies act as graveyards for animals. Accordingly, the apostle Matthew partook of seeds, nuts and vegetables, without flesh"- Clement of Alexandria
#69 Old 01-28-2011, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlp View Post

I have repeatedly said that they need to make their own choices. I hope that it turns out well. My point is only that the starry eyed assumptions are perhaps naive. After all, a lot of the people who are all excited about this were equally excited about Iran just a year ago. But time will tell, so there's no point arguing.

there is, and the difference is, is that someone did it. someone did what the western and arab world said that they wouldn't be able to do -- have a homegrown, peaceful, revolution and dissolve a government they didn't like.

#70 Old 01-28-2011, 02:28 PM
Veggie Regular

ETA: Oops, no he says the government is stepping down. Misunderstood the translation.
#71 Old 01-28-2011, 02:28 PM

****ing lol murabak wants 'the government' to resign, when all the egyptians want is YOU to resign, murabak

#72 Old 01-28-2011, 02:28 PM

no, he isn't resigning, he's firing everyone else but himself

#73 Old 01-28-2011, 02:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenickie View Post

https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/1018

i think that should help

Not working. I tried to download the unstable version, but the link was corrupted. I can't find that file. Oh well, I tried.

#74 Old 01-28-2011, 02:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

yeah. he said the government is stepping down and he's gonna elect a new one.

Interesting how he twisted things. Said protests were only able to happen because of political freedoms already existing in Egypt. Right.

#75 Old 01-28-2011, 02:33 PM
mlp
Banned

Quote:

there is, and the difference is, is that someone did it. someone did what the western and arab world said that they wouldn't be able to do -- have a homegrown, peaceful, revolution and dissolve a government they didn't like.

???
#76 Old 01-28-2011, 02:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Yeah, I got it, I misheard the translator (or maybe wishful thinking).
#77 Old 01-28-2011, 02:37 PM

Quote:

???

what's your question.

#78 Old 01-28-2011, 02:38 PM

Basically he said:
Egyptians, you’re hungry. I know. But we’re free. We’re becoming freer. Stop fighting from freedom. Stop fighting for food. My government is stepping down. New one tomorrow. I am not going anywhere. Instead, you get more of my “freedom.”

no one is observing the curfew, the army is on the people's side (but not the police force), but it's not likely that the police are going to open fire on people who break curfew.

#79 Old 01-28-2011, 02:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsnip View Post

He's stepping down

ETA: Oops, no he says the government is stepping down. Misunderstood the translation.

I don't know if you meant that as a joke but in Muslim countries that is quite frequent. If the leader who is responsible for running the government fails some way, then its not because he isn't the right fit but because the government was not the right fit for the leader. go figure!

Quote:

If I prayed, my prayers would be with the people. As it is, my thoughts are with them.

Inshallah

@Kennickie...why did you pick Surah Yasin for your avatar?

Time Exists But Just On Your Wrist, So Don't Panic. Moments Last And Lifetimes Are Lost In A Day- Travis.
#80 Old 01-28-2011, 03:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by spherion View Post

I don't know if you meant that as a joke

No, no, no, he said "I am requesting the government to step down" and I heard, "I am by request of the government stepping down" or something like that. I'm multitasking here and was like, "wait what?"
#81 Old 01-28-2011, 03:02 PM
mlp
Banned

Quote:

Quote:

what's your question.

My question is - what peaceful revolution are you referring to?
#82 Old 01-28-2011, 03:19 PM

the OP Tunisia? the one that started this all? as far as all reports go, they haven't had any fatalities, and have managed to dissolve the government, and the interim government when it didn't go the way they wanted to.

there are solidarity demonstrations across the nation tomorrow

Quote:
Demonstrators will convene in front of CNN's downtown headquarters on Saturday at noon to show support for protesters, who are urging President Hosni Mubarak to step down.

Via the event's organizers:

A demonstration will be held on Saturday in downtown Atlanta in support of the brave Egyptian people who are fighting for their freedom, dignity, and rights. Organizers hope to show the Egyptian people that American people are behind their struggle. In addition, the protest aims to expose the dire situation in Egypt, and to encourage the U.S. media to expand their coverage of growing movements for freedom and democracy in North Africa.

eta: the suicide that kicked off the revolution in Tunisia could be considered a fatality -- a 27 year old man set himself on fire in the streets to protest the insane unemployment rate

#83 Old 01-28-2011, 03:27 PM
mlp
Banned

Quote:

the OP Tunisia? the one that started this all? as far as all reports go, they haven't had any fatalities, and have managed to dissolve the government, and the interim government when it didn't go the way they wanted to.

eta: the suicide that kicked off the revolution in Tunisia could be considered a fatality -- a 27 year old man set himself on fire in the streets to protest the insane unemployment rate

Ah. O.K. I was confused, because the current posts were about Egypt and Iran, and neither fit the bill. I hope that things work out well in Tunisia, but it's still early to tell.

ETA: BTW, I gather there have been more than 100 fatalities during the Tunisian protests.
#84 Old 01-28-2011, 03:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Obama's up
#85 Old 01-28-2011, 03:40 PM
Veggie Regular

ah, he didn't say anything important the usa is being very careful not to take sides, typical "we support democracy everywhere" speech.

#86 Old 01-28-2011, 03:42 PM

Quote:

Ah. O.K. I was confused, because the current posts were about Egypt and Iran, and neither fit the bill. I hope that things work out well in Tunisia, but it's still early to tell.

ETA: BTW, I gather there have been more than 100 fatalities during the Tunisian protests.

where are you getting that number? Al Jazeera says "dozens set themselves on fire and dozens of others were injured or killed by riot police." which means absolutely nothing in terms of real solid numbers. that could be 24 or 144 people. the jasmine revolution wikipedia doesn't say anything either.

fwiw The Jasmine Revolution means Tunisia -- that's the official flower of Tunisia. perhaps you should read the OP first?

#87 Old 01-28-2011, 03:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotoshave View Post

ah, he didn't say anything important the usa is being very careful not to take sides, typical "we support democracy everywhere" speech.

Thanks, I had to take a phone call and missed it. They're all saying we support Mubarak and the Egyptian people. Hedging bets, don't want to come down on the wrong side of this one.
#88 Old 01-28-2011, 03:49 PM

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_815337.html

internet back up in Syria

#89 Old 01-28-2011, 03:58 PM

hot damn!

http://www.businessinsider.com/glenn...p-smith-2011-1

fox news bumps glenn beck in order to cover egypt

Quote:
Fox almost never bumps Glenn Beck. So just one measure that the American news media has finally decided what Al Jazeera and many viewers have known for a day or more: This is a really big deal.

#90 Old 01-28-2011, 04:14 PM
mlp
Banned

Quote:

where are you getting that number? Al Jazeera says "dozens set themselves on fire and dozens of others were injured or killed by riot police." which means absolutely nothing in terms of real solid numbers. that could be 24 or 144 people. the jasmine revolution wikipedia doesn't say anything either.

fwiw The Jasmine Revolution means Tunisia -- that's the official flower of Tunisia. perhaps you should read the OP first?

The UN says 100 dead in Tunisia. http://edition.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/af.../u.s..tunisia/

Strangely enough, I did read the OP, but we were eight pages in, and the conversation had long since migrated to Egypt. Why so snarky about having it pointed out that the original suicide wasn't the only fatality in Tunisia?

ETA: If you want another source for the UN statement: http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...section=justin

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page