The Jasmine Revolt (Revolution in Egypt) - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#31 Old 01-28-2011, 11:59 AM
Veggie Regular

The police force in Egypt is bigger than the army. The army is siding with the people, perhaps, and positioning themselves to take power.

"It is far better to be happy than to have your bodies act as graveyards for animals. Accordingly, the apostle Matthew partook of seeds, nuts and vegetables, without flesh"- Clement of Alexandria
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 01-28-2011, 12:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenickie View Post

i can't find anymore info about this help

His son left. http://islamtimes.org/vdccoxqp.2bqip8y-a2.html But I can't verify him leaving.

"It is far better to be happy than to have your bodies act as graveyards for animals. Accordingly, the apostle Matthew partook of seeds, nuts and vegetables, without flesh"- Clement of Alexandria
#33 Old 01-28-2011, 12:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Tear gas canister used against protesters "made is USA."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 01-28-2011, 12:08 PM
American Made, Rebel Born

I also highly doubt that the Muslim Brotherhood will take hold, if anything I don't see more than a coalition made up of 4 or 5 parties, and the Muslim Brotherhood being one of them. Egypt is reeling from the past 30 years of strict control, I doubt they would let the Muslim Brotherhood impose their stricter, radical Islamic controls. But I do think they'll let the Muslim Brotherhood say whatever they want. When you deny people to speak about what they think or believe, it feeds the flames of radicalism. If Egypt opens up and allows free speech, I believe that most people would turn away from the most extreme part of the Brotherhood, and embrace the parts they felt would help them the most, or embrace nothing at all. I also think the government will reject America's intervention in rebuilding a government, but I think in the end if America supports the new, democratically elected government, they will be open to us.

re: the airport denies anyone leaving the country on a private jet, and especially denies that Murabak's family has left the country.

cry havoc! and let slip the dogs of war.
#35 Old 01-28-2011, 12:09 PM

#36 Old 01-28-2011, 12:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Tunisia was used as a CIA base for US operation and information gathering in the Middle East for Islamic movements.

#37 Old 01-28-2011, 12:33 PM

https://www.accessnow.org/page/s/help-egypt

i called my elected representatives and asked them to support the protests in egypt, and have stamped & sealed envelopes with letters saying the same thing that will be mailed off tomorrow!

#38 Old 01-28-2011, 12:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Police did fire tear gas in the mosques during friday prayers.

#39 Old 01-28-2011, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotoshave View Post

Police did fire tear gas in the mosques during friday prayers.

where are you getting this? is al jazeera back up?

#40 Old 01-28-2011, 12:39 PM

the idiocy is spreading:

radio callers in chicago demand that al ****ing qaeda is behind the turmoil
Political Science professor is all for democracy, but says we cannot allow free elections in Egypt. Because there will be a regime hostile to the U.S.

i want to throw up

#41 Old 01-28-2011, 12:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Political Science professor is all for democracy, but says we cannot allow free elections in Egypt. Because there will be a regime hostile to the U.S.

i want to throw up

Because democracy is not good for America's predatory economics.

#42 Old 01-28-2011, 12:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

where are you getting this? is al jazeera back up?

It was on the live feed of al jazeera.

#43 Old 01-28-2011, 12:47 PM

my al jazeera feed isn't working! it says i'm missing a plug in but no plug ins are found to fix it! !

#44 Old 01-28-2011, 12:48 PM
Veggie Regular

The army is surrounding the president's palace in Heliopolis. My feed is working even without the plug ins.

#45 Old 01-28-2011, 12:48 PM

fine i have to use safari

#46 Old 01-28-2011, 12:49 PM
Veggie Regular

The police and army are very poorly paid. They are conscripts. So the army is throwing its weight behind the people.

#47 Old 01-28-2011, 12:49 PM
Veggie Regular

i''m using firefox

#48 Old 01-28-2011, 12:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Egypt is the intellectual and political center of the Middle East. It controls Middle Eastern political and intellectual discourse. So this is huge. Gonna reshape the Middle East. The moderate Egyptians will become more vocal, drowning out the extremists.

#49 Old 01-28-2011, 12:56 PM

please please please let this happen and don't let my idiot government ruin it

#50 Old 01-28-2011, 01:05 PM
mlp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by spherion View Post

haha, because somebody can't spell in English you think they need an education reform. You will find more people in Japan with even worse command of the English language but are still amongst the most h...aah fudge it!

I understand your frustration.

Quote:

Egypt is the intellectual and political center of the Middle East. It controls Middle Eastern political and intellectual discourse. So this is huge. Gonna reshape the Middle East. The moderate Egyptians will become more vocal, drowning out the extremists.

I suspect that this will indeed reshape the Middle East, but I'm not so sure that the outcome will be that Egypt becomes more moderate.

In any case, we need to not put our interests above those of the people in these countries. I hope that whatever is achieved is achieved with a minimum of bloodshed. If I prayed, my prayers would be with the people. As it is, my thoughts are with them.
#51 Old 01-28-2011, 01:12 PM

their interests should be our interests. we are only harming ourselves in the long run by not supporting them. seriously. it's beyond idiotic to me why we haven't been more vocal and harder on the president -- because when (not if) he is overthrown, putting ourselves on the wrong side of history will seriously damage our reputation and standing in their eyes. we want a moderate egypt. we should support it. if not, we'll likely end up with a radical, anti american egypt, which no one wants, at all.

if you have bandwith to share/donate to egypt, set up a tor relay.

http://www.torproject.org/docs/tor-doc-relay.html.en

#52 Old 01-28-2011, 01:15 PM

al jazeera says the top officials and business men have left the country

i give it till monday for murabak to leave/resign

#53 Old 01-28-2011, 01:29 PM
Veggie Regular

new tweet: Christians protected Muslim during Friday prayer while they prayed in mosques, lining mosques, not letting police in.

#54 Old 01-28-2011, 01:32 PM

Quote:

new tweet: Christians protected Muslim during Friday prayer while they prayed in mosques, lining mosques, not letting police in.

lets not forget that lebanon is on the brink of civil war as well

#55 Old 01-28-2011, 01:38 PM
Veggie Regular

got my Tor up and running, thanks for bringing it to my attention, Kenickie.

#56 Old 01-28-2011, 01:39 PM
mlp
Banned

I think it's naive to assume that revolution will bring a more moderate government. The Muslim Brotherhood is against secularism. This could well end up with a theocratic government, a la post revolution Iran. I remember that revolution well - almost all of the young Iranians I knew where so fervently pro revolution, especially the girls, and pooh poohed the idea that they might have fewer freedoms post revolution. I've wondered ever since how they (the girls) have fared in the decades since.

But yeah, they need to choose their own path.
#57 Old 01-28-2011, 01:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlp View Post

I think it's naive to assume that revolution will bring a more moderate government. The Muslim Brotherhood is against secularism. This could well end up with a theocratic government, a la post revolution Iran. I remember that revolution well - almost all of the young Iranians I knew where so fervently pro revolution, especially the girls, and pooh poohed the idea that they might have fewer freedoms post revolution. I've wondered ever since how they (the girls) have fared in the decades since.

But yeah, they need to choose their own path.

If the movement was so pro-revolution, then how did it get hijacked by extremist factions? Perhaps Egypt could learn a lesson from Iran's history.

#58 Old 01-28-2011, 01:48 PM
mlp
Banned

Quote:

If the movement was so pro-revolution, then how did it get hijacked by extremist factions? Perhaps Egypt could learn a lesson from Iran's history.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say?

Revolution, by it's nature, is extreme.

Revolution, if successful also creates a power vacuum. That vacuum, more often than not, is filled by extremist elements - they are, after all, the most motivated and passionate. Look at the aftermath of many notable revolutions, such as the French revolution, the Russian revolution, China, etc. The Iranian revolution was by no means unique.
#59 Old 01-28-2011, 01:51 PM

i also have a hard time believing that egypt would be 'hijacked' by the Brotherhood. as i said earlier -- if Egypt allows everyone to speak their piece, most will reject the more radical aspects introduced. not letting people talk about anything draws more people to it. Again, this isn't Iran in 1979, sure, it's spearheaded by young people, but these young people are wired, connected, highly educated, they know how people live in other countries, they know that it is not all strict individual liberty curbing. they saw what happened in Tunisia -- complete with girls in headwraps and mini skirts, and watched them be successful. Feminists in Tunisia are very vocal that they cannot be ignored in the formations of the new government, and they seem to be holding vigil pretty well -- the government (interm) has been replaced 4 times in the past week. If a free and open election was held in 3 months in Egypt and they elected the Muslim Brotherhood, I would support that. The American attitude seems to be -- oh, they'll pick the wrong choice. this kind of...you don't know what's best for you, if you get freedom you won't use it right is infuriating and kind of repulsive. I got into an argument about this earlier -- Do I support Hamas because it was put into power by the people, even though we consider them terrorists? My response was: well what the **** would you do? Israel has no reason to listen to you, to even care about you. Your own PA is going along with Israel and having our leaders assassinated. America supports them, no one will listen to us. I said, in that position, I'd probably follow anyone who got America and Israel to listen to us. I hope whatever happens in Egypt, it willl be chosen by the people, and America won't do something ****ing stupid like lead a coup against the elected leader.

#60 Old 01-28-2011, 01:54 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm getting this on my Tor message log. Anyone know how to fix it?

Quote:
Jan 28 16:50:25.794 [Warning] Failed to open GEOIP file /Applications/Vidalia.app/share/tor/geoip. We've been configured to see which countries can access us as a bridge, and we need GEOIP information to tell which countries clients are in.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page