VeggieBoards

VeggieBoards (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/)
-   The Compost Heap (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/17-compost-heap/)
-   -   AZ Congresswoman and over a dozen others shot (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/17-compost-heap/120715-az-congresswoman-over-dozen-others-shot.html)

Kenickie 01-08-2011 01:55 PM

http://www.salon.com/news/feature/20...hot/index.html

Quote:
Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, D-Ariz., was shot in the head and an unknown number of others were wounded Saturday when an assailant sprayed bullets into an area where the lawmaker was meeting with constituents, congressional officials said.

These officials said one of the victims died soon after the attack, and others were taken to a nearby hospital.

The officials said the wounded included some of Gifford's aides who were with her at the time.

The officials who described the events did so on condition of anonymity, saying they were not permitted to comment publicly.

They said the FBI and local law enforcement were investigating the attack, which took place while Giffords was greeting constituents outside a grocery store.

Giffords, 40, was re-elected to her third term last November. She was a member of the Arizona House and Senate before coming to Washington.

She first won election to Congress amid a wave of Democratic victories in 2006. In November, she edged a tea party favorite.

Sarah Palin had this graphic up on her site -- with Gabrielle Giffords in her "sight". Acceptable language?

it would be a lot less terrible if Sarah Palin ended her sentences completely.

GhostUser 01-08-2011 02:01 PM

I haven't seen any reports on a possible shooter or motive but this has the potential to be incredibly nasty politically for the fundamentalist 2nd Amendment people.

I'm not surprised.

*AHIMSA* 01-08-2011 02:06 PM

Sarah Palin is a reprehensible piece of crap. That is just in such poor taste.

Kenickie 01-08-2011 02:08 PM

she's taken the image off of her site, but I hope the others on this "hitlist" have upped security.

also, perhaps a mod can change the title of my thread? i hear various reports all day (including if Giffords is dead or not) about the number of people injured. perhaps it should be "and over a dozen others" or something of that sort.

Kenickie 01-08-2011 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post

I haven't seen any reports on a possible shooter or motive but this has the potential to be incredibly nasty politically for the fundamentalist 2nd Amendment people.

I'm not surprised.

you mean Arizona's open carry at political rallies?

Fatman 01-08-2011 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenickie View Post

she's taken the image off of her site, but I hope the others on this "hitlist" have upped security.

also, perhaps a mod can change the title of my thread? i hear various reports all day (including if Giffords is dead or not) about the number of people injured. perhaps it should be "and over a dozen others" or something of that sort.

That "hitlist" was put out prior to the November elections. It was meant to show those that voted for the Health Care bill and to have them voted out of office.
Im pretty sure it had nothing to do with a desire to see anyone killed.
Sadly, I do think that charts like this could cause an unstable person to act in a less than honorable fashion.

My prayers for everyone that was involved this morning (except for the shooter)

*AHIMSA* 01-08-2011 02:15 PM

Quote:

That's good, after the fact, but in general, it's just in poor taste to put a gun sight target on people.

Kenickie 01-08-2011 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *AHIMSA* View Post

That's good, after the fact, but in general, it's just in poor taste to put a gun sight target on people.

or use gun related vocabulary to "get them out of office."

one of the reported dead is a child i mean, it was at a grocery store! it's really sad and i'm getting texts from my homies in AZ about it off the hook. I really hope it all works out and the public gets some answers about the shooter/motive/etc soon. There have also been bombs sent to Janet Nepolatano's (spelling?) office and well as a few others in the DC/Bethesda area over the past week.

peacefulveglady 01-08-2011 02:31 PM

It was reported that she is still alive but in critcal condition and the gunman shooter is this Jared Laughner as the shooter at today's event.

Fatman 01-08-2011 02:33 PM

Quote:

There have also been bombs sent to Janet Nepolatano's (spelling?) office and well as a few others in the DC/Bethesda area over the past week.

one was to janet N,
one was at a DC post office
One at a government building in Maryland and one at a building next to the State House in Maryland.

No injuries, there were some minor burns to fingers and a couple people checked out due to the odor/fumes but nothing was found,.

smob 01-08-2011 02:34 PM

Sick and disgusting. I thought Palin's "hit list" graphic and rhetoric was in poor taste before. Now it's just nauseating. SHE is nauseating. This tragedy is nauseating.

peacefulveglady 01-08-2011 02:40 PM

I thought the hit list was to get them out of office not take their lives. I just hate violence. The president is speaking about this in a few moments.

Kenickie 01-08-2011 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacefulveglady View Post

I thought the hit list was to get them out of office not take their lives. I just hate violence. The president is speaking about this in a few moments.

i'll be watching. i am amazed that people don't realize that hateful, vile filled rhetoric about "killing our enemies here at home" and violence filled imagery leads to people who were on the edge already to go overboard and do things like this.

Kenickie 01-08-2011 05:08 PM

Josh James xVx 01-08-2011 05:13 PM

You liberal vegans with your whining...unless you've never eaten a Democrat or used its flesh as a warm winter coat, who are you to judge?

das_nut 01-08-2011 05:15 PM

Quote:

or use gun related vocabulary to "get them out of office."

I think "targetting" opponents in a race is standard lingo.

I suspect I could google "bullseye" and find more than a few Democrats that have used the term.

Kenickie 01-08-2011 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by das_nut View Post

I suspect I could google "bullseye" and find more than a few Democrats that have used the term.

do they accompany said statements with gunsight images? doubt it.

imagineaa 01-08-2011 05:19 PM

It took that piece of crap deaths to finally get that insane graphic off her website? She has been under lots of pressure since she put it up.

Palin and her followers are sick individuals.

How sad for the victims and their loved ones.

Josh James xVx 01-08-2011 05:22 PM

Quote:

Don't be silly. Everyone knows Democrats don't own guns.

*hides his sawed off shotgun under the table*

Kenickie 01-08-2011 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh James xVx View Post

Don't be silly. Everyone knows Democrats don't own guns.

*hides his sawed off shotgun under the table*

i think 3 of the 4 people registered in this house are democrats. we've got guns. also, cats, but i don't know if that is as relevant.

Kenickie 01-08-2011 05:29 PM

Quote:

i tried several combinations of "bullseye" "speeches" "democrats" "politicians", and after discarding the immediate Sarah Palin stuff, we've got a couple twilight actors, the academy of motion picture arts and sciences, a couple of british politicians (), President Bush (re: iran) and then finally someone on daily Kos saying "Jay Stevens hits a bullseye" (Jay Stevens being the first judge to rule in favor of health care bill), but I'll keep looking.

not saying you aren't right, but maybe because of sarah palin's trending topic it's hard to sort through the garbage. i'm also in a pisstastic mood because my saints are losing to ****ing havocjohn's idiot seaducks&pete carroll. my apologies good sir, you know i don't mean to be snippy to you.

Red 01-08-2011 05:43 PM

Quote:

You mean like the Democratic Leadership Council?

http://www.dlc.org/ndol_ci.cfm?conte...=127&subid=171

Kenickie 01-08-2011 05:57 PM

^^ Red just proved it for me.

Red 01-08-2011 06:03 PM

Quote:

^^ Red just proved it for me.

The DCCC (Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee) had one that went even further, "targetting" individual Republicans, but have recently pulled it down from here:

http://dccc.org/blog/entry/dccc_anno...oots_campaign/

Fortunately, it was saved for posterity -
http://www.verumserum.com/?p=13647

Attachment 14167

Attachment 14168

eta: If you search the DCCC blog for "targeted", it still comes up with this preview text -

Quote:
Click on a red bullseye to view a Republican targeted for opposing economic recovery. ... Stimulus Benefit (by state). Red Bullseye, Targeted Republicans ...

LL
LL

Red 01-08-2011 06:13 PM

havocjohn 01-08-2011 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagineaa View Post

It took that piece of crap deaths to finally get that insane graphic off her website? She has been under lots of pressure since she put it up.

Palin and her followers are sick individuals.

How sad for the victims and their loved ones.

I have read a couple of stories on this, and have seen no one make any connection to Palin. So I am left wondering exactly what connection you have seen to imply that this incident is in any way connected to Palin?

The latest story I read implied the individual in question was a pot head loner, concerned about the enviroment..... sounds more like an elf or alf supporter to me than a Palin supporter.

peacefulveglady 01-08-2011 06:30 PM

Well just to say this shooter lived less then 5 mins or so from the store. So I am not sure if he is actually connected to Palin.
As for Guns Democrats can own guns but when they do they use the guns like they should

Kenickie 01-08-2011 06:33 PM

Quote:

Well just to say this shooter lived less then 5 mins or so from the store. So I am not sure if he is actually connected to Palin.
As for Guns Democrats can own guns but when they do they use the guns like they should

stereotyping

havocjohn 01-08-2011 06:36 PM

Quote:

that would imply that conservatives don't use guns as they should be..... so I am left a little confused by your comment.

Obama who is a Democrat currently retains approval by (according to recent polls) at least 95% of the black population in this nation, yet the vast majority of gun violence in this nation is commited by blacks primarily in gang related incidents, are you suggesting that Democrats kill each other more often with guns?

Red 01-08-2011 06:46 PM

Quote:

You're "not sure" because of where he lives?

ok

Red 01-08-2011 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by havocjohn View Post

The latest story I read implied the individual in question was a pot head loner, concerned about the enviroment..... sounds more like an elf or alf supporter to me than a Palin supporter.

It all becomes clear on his YouTube page:

http://www.youtube.com/classitup10#p/u

http://www.youtube.com/classitup10#p/u/1/nHoaZaLbqB4

delicioso 01-08-2011 07:05 PM

The guy seems crazy.

rockette79 01-08-2011 07:07 PM

This is so sad. I only recently moved away from AZ. That state is in such turmoil. I am very sad for the victims and their families.

GhostUser 01-08-2011 07:09 PM

You know it's a sad occurrence when on this veg*n board, some "grandfathered" ominvores gather to rationalize and dare I say, defend, the shooting of 19 people in Tucson AZ today. They should hide their heads in shame.

havocjohn 01-08-2011 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post

It all becomes clear on his YouTube page:

http://www.youtube.com/classitup10#p/u

http://www.youtube.com/classitup10#p/u/1/nHoaZaLbqB4

sounds a little twisted..... to many good drugs?

havocjohn 01-08-2011 07:19 PM

Quote:

You know it's a sad occurrence when on this veg*n board, some "grandfathered" ominvores gather to rationalize and dare I say, defend, the shooting of 19 people in Tucson AZ today. They should hide their heads in shame.

what's a sad occurrence is when someone very new to a boad comes along and thinks they are the one that gets to make up the rules as they go.

What is also sad is when someone such as yourself ass/u/mes that anyone is defending anyone. Maybe instead of jumping to conclusions you ought to pull your head out and breath.

sorrowthepig 01-08-2011 07:23 PM

Quote:

sounds a little twisted..... to many good drugs?

If you mean antipsychotics for schizophrenia, I'm gonna go with no.

havocjohn 01-08-2011 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorrowthepig View Post

If you mean antipsychotics for schizophrenia, I'm gonna go with no.

I don't think what he was taking was prescribed.

GhostUser 01-08-2011 08:16 PM

Quote:

what's a sad occurrence is when someone very new to a boad comes along and thinks they are the one that gets to make up the rules as they go.

What is also sad is when someone such as yourself ass/u/mes that anyone is defending anyone. Maybe instead of jumping to conclusions you ought to pull your head out and breath.

I'm not making any rules. Just offering observations based on recent posts made on these boards.

Have you denounced the shootings after attributing them to an ALF or ELF member? And to you realize how ridiculous that sounds?

And thanks for answering the roll call.

Red 01-08-2011 08:22 PM

Quote:

Good to know you're not sad, then, since it didn't happen here.

OTOH, maybe it makes you sad to see people so hateful and partisan that their first instinct is to rub their hands in glee and think "oh... goody! Maybe we can get some political mileage out of this"?