Chiqong, kundalini, shaolin monks - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-28-2010, 08:07 AM
Veggie Regular

So what do people think of the theory of chiqong energy and how it can be used to reinforce one's structural integrity? India has a similar concept in the anthropological topography of shakras and kundalini energy. Supposedly through intensive training, breathing techniques and deep meditation one can learn to control the cosmic energy infused in one's body and use it to accomplish work that one would ordinarily not be able to accomplish. Shaolin monks in China, for example, are able tomake their bodies rock hard and withstand blows from wooden and metal staffs without flinching. They can also, as in the video I posted, push cars with shard spears set against their throats. Other practitioners of chi qong can supposedly direct energy out of themselves and set things on fire. Indian Brahmins and sadhus are famous for being able to control their heart beats.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoIcUUnpdec&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aibkb4VOm3Q

So what do people think of all this? Is their an underlying energy beneath all things that we can tap into if we have the tools and use to our own benefit? Or is this all a matter of the right conditioning and callousing the body to absorb injury? What d'yall have to say?

"It is far better to be happy than to have your bodies act as graveyards for animals. Accordingly, the apostle Matthew partook of seeds, nuts and vegetables, without flesh"- Clement of Alexandria
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-28-2010, 09:00 AM
Veggie Regular

Is there any proof (Other than videos) that this is real, or just another scam for the gullible....

Happiness is not the result of a mathematical equation comparing the good times and bad times someone has had. It is a state of mind.
-nomad888
#3 Old 12-28-2010, 09:23 AM
Veggie Regular

The mind is a powerful tool. I've personally witnessed things that defy logic and reason.

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-28-2010, 10:09 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beancounter View Post

Is there any proof (Other than videos) that this is real, or just another scam for the gullible....

Doing a quick google search I found this: http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...9/ai_73711177/

Fight Science (programn on the science channel) also did an episode on Shaolin monks. They had scientists test the monks and observe during the demonstrations. I actually wanted to use that episode for the OP but couldn't find a video of it.

"It is far better to be happy than to have your bodies act as graveyards for animals. Accordingly, the apostle Matthew partook of seeds, nuts and vegetables, without flesh"- Clement of Alexandria
#5 Old 12-28-2010, 04:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Ridiculous.
#6 Old 12-28-2010, 04:20 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm no monk but I can generate bubbles from my armpits, and on a good day, if you pour the ingredients in my left ear, I can shake a little and then throw up a delicious vegan cupcake for you.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#7 Old 12-28-2010, 07:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by *AHIMSA* View Post

The mind is a powerful tool. I've personally witnessed things that defy logic and reason.

Haven't personally witnessed things but I believe this. I've heard stories of people using chi healers and getting fantastic results. Then again, I've heard people going on dangerous diets and claiming to feel amazing so I'm not sure.

“May all sentient beings be free of pain and suffering.  May all sentient beings experience eternal joy and happiness.  gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.”
http://www.facebook.com/doktormartini
http://twitter.com/#!/MartyBaureis
http://doktormartini.tumblr.com

#8 Old 12-28-2010, 10:34 PM
Veggie Regular

I've seen Shaolin monks do the things you described. It's not fakery. It takes years of training to accomplish those feats.
#9 Old 12-29-2010, 01:51 AM
Veggie Regular

qigong is for real.
have personally been worked on by a qigong healer and it's amazing. no more back pain or pinched sciatic nerve after years of trying everything else.
the shaolin monks, indian yogis and anyone who practices certain mediation techniques are capable of all these feats.

carpe vegiem
#10 Old 12-29-2010, 01:54 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotoshave View Post

Fight Science (programn on the science channel) also did an episode on Shaolin monks. They had scientists test the monks and observe during the demonstrations. I actually wanted to use that episode for the OP but couldn't find a video of it.

i love that show!
that was an awesome episode...found it on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KArX8iNnY4Q

carpe vegiem
#11 Old 12-29-2010, 09:16 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't see why chi energy needs to be assumed to explain these instances. It sounds little different than using 'magic' to explain things we don't understand.

Off hand I would say this seems to be similar to the need people have to believe in something 'more.' To posit the supernatural to attempt to easily and quickly explain that which we do not understand without taking the time or rigor to actually understand it.

I believe everything.
#12 Old 12-29-2010, 09:17 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiSis View Post

i love that show!
that was an awesome episode...found it on youtube:

Thanks PiSis, that's exactly what I was looking for!

#13 Old 12-29-2010, 10:42 AM
Tom
Veggie Regular

I took a few Aikido lessons back in the 70s and early 80s. The "ki" in Aikido basically refers to what this thread is about, but I never got a handle on it. I won't say there's nothing to it though. In one of my last practice sessions I was working out with someone quite a bit smaller than me, but far more advanced. We were doing an exercise where you use your ki to make your arm virtually unbendable... Now, sometimes people are stronger than they look, but this guy shocked me. It was like he could turn a part of his body to solid iron at will.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#14 Old 01-01-2011, 12:33 PM
Banned

Controlling your heart rate is just a matter of concentrating your thoughts on remembering or imagining a situation which would naturally cause your heat beat to change. For example to raise your heart beat, imagining a sexual encounter will do it. It is obvious that people's heatbeats are altered when they watch plays or movies. There is plenty of scientific evidence for this. You can do the same thing with just your imagination.
#15 Old 01-01-2011, 01:19 PM
Veggie Regular

"Energy" = bull****

Using training to control your body = yes

"Hell exists not to punish sinners, but to ensure that nobody sins in the first place."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page