Do teens need a smart phone? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-27-2010, 08:45 AM
Veggie Regular

There is a certain 14 year old who's pretty annoyed with his parents right now because they said they won't buy him an Android for Christmas. He's of the opinion that it is "just normal" and not an unnecessary luxury. Says most of his peers have a smart phone.

He currently has a nice, 1 year old phone, with a full keyboard, but it's not a smart phone, so it's a piece of junk apparently.

Opinions please.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-27-2010, 09:01 AM
Veggie Regular

No.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#3 Old 11-27-2010, 09:04 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by delicioso View Post

There is a certain 14 year old who's pretty annoyed with his parents right now because they said they won't buy him an Android for Christmas. He's of the opinion that it is "just normal" and not an unnecessary luxury. Says most of his peers have a smart phone.

He currently has a nice, 1 year old phone, with a full keyboard, but it's not a smart phone, so it's a piece of junk apparently.

Opinions please.

What are their reasons for refusing to buy it for you?

My parents would have also said no and would have encouraged me to earn my own money and pay for it myself. Smart phones aren't cheap and neither are data plans. And you don't NEED one; they ARE an unnecessary luxury for someone your age in your situation, and they're an unnecessary luxury for most people. I'm 35 and make just a shade under the six figure mark and I don't have a smart phone...and don't need one either.

Sorry, but I agree with your parents.

I assume you're the teen in question...if not then I apologize for the incorrect assumption.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-27-2010, 09:06 AM
Veggie Regular

Everyone needs a smart phone.

Having said that, 14 is old enough to get an after school job (or maybe do some extra chores around the house) and get it themselves.

Who needs sleep when we've got love?
Who needs keys when we've got clubs?
Who needs please when we've got guns?
Who needs peace when we've gone above?
#5 Old 11-27-2010, 09:12 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm no longer a teen. It's someone in my family. I was just curious how "normal" it is for teens to have smart phones.
The parents think it's a waste of money, basically. They told him that he can have one when he gets a job, but he says that's not fair because no one will hire him until he's 16 and he doesn't want to wait 2 years.
#6 Old 11-27-2010, 09:15 AM
Veggie Regular

No need for a 14 year old to have a smart phone until they understand the value of the $$ that is involved in the monthly plan.

The opposite of war isn't peace. It's creation!
#7 Old 11-27-2010, 09:22 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by smob View Post

I assume you're the teen in question...if not then I apologize for the incorrect assumption.

I'm going to assume that you're an artificial intelligence that was programmed to handle the different parts of the manufacturing process in a peanut butter factory but that has suddenly developed consciousness and is pondering about the complexity of human life at the same time as planning for its destruction, having already killed all the peanut butter factory workers by making the equipment malfunction on purpose.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

#8 Old 11-27-2010, 10:40 AM
Banned

Very few people need a smart phone.
#9 Old 11-27-2010, 10:46 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't mean need, as in necessary for survival, just need as to fit in, and not be a freak among one's peers.
What percentage of teens have smart phones, I wonder.
#10 Old 11-27-2010, 10:53 AM
Banned

I wasn't talking about need for survival either. There are some people who "need" one because of their jobs or whatever but most people who have them don't need them in any sense. Complete waste of money in most situations.
#11 Old 11-27-2010, 10:59 AM
Veggie Regular

No.

The only people who need a smartphone are those that absolutely must be able to connect to their office while they are out - such as sales people or executives.

For everyone else, it's just a grossly over-priced luxury.

Happiness is not the result of a mathematical equation comparing the good times and bad times someone has had. It is a state of mind.
-nomad888
#12 Old 11-27-2010, 11:00 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsschu2u View Post

No need for a 14 year old to have a smart phone until they understand the value of the $$ that is involved in the monthly plan.

Bingo. +1

Happiness is not the result of a mathematical equation comparing the good times and bad times someone has had. It is a state of mind.
-nomad888
#13 Old 11-27-2010, 11:02 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beancounter View Post

No.

The only people who need a smartphone are those that absolutely must be able to connect to their office while they are out - such as sales people or executives.

Um, no. I need my smart phone, and I am neither of those things. Two words: online banking.

#14 Old 11-27-2010, 11:05 AM
Banned

deleted
#15 Old 11-27-2010, 11:07 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbleforlola View Post

Um, no. I need my smart phone, and I am neither of those things. Two words: online banking.

I don't have a smart phone but I would like one, for the reason above, plus to access my emails when I'm not at home, plus, more importantly, to access VB while I'm not at home.

*this space not for sale*
#16 Old 11-27-2010, 11:08 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by delicioso View Post

I don't mean need, as in necessary for survival, just need as to fit in, and not be a freak among one's peers.
What percentage of teens have smart phones, I wonder.

You're a vegetarian, I presume. What part of this lifestyle caters to fitting in?

Tam! RUGH!
#17 Old 11-27-2010, 11:09 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Do you really need to do online banking on the go?

You can't wait until you get to the office/your home/the hotel/ an ATM, etc to make the transaction?

-nomad888
#18 Old 11-27-2010, 11:11 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm a smart phone conscientious objector. We need real life, face-to-face interactions, not digital ones! Life is better without smart phones.

"It is far better to be happy than to have your bodies act as graveyards for animals. Accordingly, the apostle Matthew partook of seeds, nuts and vegetables, without flesh"- Clement of Alexandria
#19 Old 11-27-2010, 11:13 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Do you really need to do online banking on the go?

You can't wait until you get to the office/your home/the hotel/ an ATM, etc to make the transaction?

No, I cannot wait. The nature of my relationship and crazy scheduling demands that I be able to make transfers, right then.

Also, facebook moble. But I admit that is not a necessity. But it is very nice to have!

#20 Old 11-27-2010, 11:22 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

You can't do that from home, or a library?

Did you write the book of love, and do you have faith in God above,
If the Bible tells you so? Do you believe in rock Ân roll,
Can music save your mortal soul, And can you teach me how to dance real slow?
#21 Old 11-27-2010, 11:24 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilBigBug View Post

You can't do that from home, or a library?

See above.

Also, call me paranoid, but I do not like logging in to my bank account from a public computer (like those at a library). With my smart phone, I don't have to worry.

#22 Old 11-27-2010, 11:27 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

No.

Couldn't something similar to that be stated for just about everything in our modern lives (beyond the basics, like food, simple shelter, some warmth, and some simple clothes, unless one already lives in a warm area) "The only people who need X are those that absolutely must Y. For everyone else, it's just a grossly over-priced luxury."

Although in this case, it's the parents' money, not the kid's money. If the 14 year old wants it so bad, then they should consider finding some work to pay for it. I'm not sure where this person lives, but even 14 year olds around here (Idaho USA) can find some work, it may not be a typical job (although around here my understanding is that there are certain restrictions at businesses like not being able to work after 9pm and before some time and how many hours a week and so on), but then there are money opportunities like yard work (mowing lawns, shoveling snow, leaf raking, weeds, etc), baby sitting, pet sitting, and so on. Sometimes people just need to be creative and find a niche if the money and what one wants to spend it on is so important.

I believe everything.
#23 Old 11-27-2010, 11:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogardsram View Post

Couldn't something similar to that be stated for just about everything in our modern lives (beyond the basics, like food, simple shelter, some warmth, and some simple clothes, unless one already lives in a warm area) "The only people who need X are those that absolutely must Y. For everyone else, it's just a grossly over-priced luxury."

Indeed, and what is wrong with that type of thinking?
#24 Old 11-27-2010, 11:31 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

See above.

Also, call me paranoid, but I do not like logging in to my bank account from a public computer (like those at a library). With my smart phone, I don't have to worry.

I didn't see that, before I posted. I'm just as busy as you are, and yet I never need to do online banking.

As for the library computers, they don't keep the information, it gets erased when the computers shut down (at least at ours do). Aren't you the least bit worried about shopping online, or banking online then?

#25 Old 11-27-2010, 11:32 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I didn't see that, before I posted. I'm just as busy as you are, and yet I never need to do online banking.

As for the library computers, they don't keep the information, it gets erased when the computers shut down (at least at ours do). Aren't you the least bit worried about shopping online, or banking online then?

not when I do it from my own computer/phone

#26 Old 11-27-2010, 11:37 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't understand how you can't be worried, your still basically putting your information out on teh interwebz.

One thing that I've never really understood: Those smartphones have TINY screens, how in the world can you read a webpage on them?!

#27 Old 11-27-2010, 11:38 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthling View Post

Indeed, and what is wrong with that type of thinking?

Are you asking me?

I believe everything.
#28 Old 11-27-2010, 11:38 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I don't understand how you can't be worried, your still basically putting your information out on teh interwebz.

One thing that I've never really understood: Those smartphones have TINY screens, how in the world can you read a webpage on them?!

That's another thing, I read blogs between classes. I read all kinds of small print, I guess I'm used to it.

#29 Old 11-27-2010, 11:41 AM
Veggie Regular

You must have really good eyesight.

OK, back to the issue: I honestly don't think a 14 year old needs a smart phone, unless they're paying it for themselves (when they realize how much it costs, I bet they'd back out). If they're getting made fun of by those who do have smartphones, well, those kids are idiots and hate themselves as it is.

#30 Old 11-27-2010, 12:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogardsram View Post

Yes, it could. We should use the word 'need' sparingly.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page