Arkansas school board member's anti gay FB rant - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#1 Old 10-28-2010, 08:31 PM
mlp
Banned
 
mlp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 8,995
mlp is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 10-28-2010, 08:36 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Josh James xVx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 3,097
I've already signed the petition asking for his resignation, as have thousands more.

If ever we had to put a face on the Ayn Randian Regressive Religious Right Rodents this man is a prime poster child for their world view and ideology.

Tam! RUGH!
Josh James xVx is offline  
#3 Old 10-28-2010, 09:13 PM
mlp
Banned
 
mlp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 8,995
I like rodents. I don't think they deserve to be compared to lowlife haters like this human.
mlp is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#4 Old 10-28-2010, 10:08 PM
Super Moderator
 
danakscully64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 34,591
Another VBer posted this on FB, I was shocked.
danakscully64 is offline  
#5 Old 10-28-2010, 10:59 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Pariah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 402
He's resigning.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/10/28/ark...ex.html?hpt=T2

I just have one of those faces. People come up to me and say, "What's wrong?" Nothing. "Well, it takes more energy to frown than it does to smile." Yeah, you know it takes more energy to point that out than it does to leave me alone? -Bill Hicks
Pariah is offline  
#6 Old 10-28-2010, 11:13 PM
Super Moderator
 
danakscully64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 34,591
Good. What he said was so over the top, nothing but bigotry. I don't know if an apology will even help at this point.
danakscully64 is offline  
#7 Old 10-28-2010, 11:25 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 11,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by idiot in article View Post

"I would disown my kids they were gay. They will not be welcome at my home or in my vicinity. I will absolutely run them off. Of course my kids will know better. My kids will have solid christian beliefs. See it infects everyone."

if this guy has kids, i think it'd be understandable if they were to disown him.
jeneticallymodified is offline  
#8 Old 10-29-2010, 01:57 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Josh James xVx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 3,097
we've won. This randian regressive religious right rodent has resigned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlp View Post

I like rodents. I don't think they deserve to be compared to lowlife haters like this human.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwWcYyhrN_I

Tam! RUGH!
Josh James xVx is offline  
#9 Old 10-29-2010, 01:59 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Amy SF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Southern California
Posts: 20,217
See, this is what I both love and hate about the internet. You can't post anything on the internet these days without having it come back to bite you in the ass.

*this space not for sale*
Amy SF is offline  
#10 Old 10-29-2010, 02:28 AM
mlp
Banned
 
mlp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 8,995
Ah. I didn't catch the reference.
mlp is offline  
#11 Old 10-29-2010, 08:26 AM
Super Moderator
 
danakscully64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 34,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy SF View Post

See, this is what I both love and hate about the internet. You can't post anything on the internet these days without having it come back to bite you in the ass.

I've had a few things come back to bite me, only because they were taken the wrong way. What he said on FB was really bad though, I'm glad people got to know what kind of person he was, he didn't belong on the school board with so much hate for a group of people. I can let a lot of things go knowing a person posted something to rant and thought it was private, but this... no.
danakscully64 is offline  
#12 Old 10-29-2010, 04:13 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Josh James xVx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 3,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy SF View Post

See, this is what I both love and hate about the internet. You can't post anything on the internet these days without having it come back to bite you in the ass.


At least the things you and I post on the internet are life affirming things we can be proud of having attributed to us.

Tam! RUGH!
Josh James xVx is offline  
#13 Old 10-29-2010, 08:32 PM
Ira
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,385
So sad. He sure is a bigot, but people should only be forced to resign based on the work they are doing not on their personal ideas an thoughts
Ira is offline  
#14 Old 10-29-2010, 10:04 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Josh James xVx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 3,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira View Post

So sad. He sure is a bigot, but people should only be forced to resign based on the work they are doing not on their personal ideas an thoughts


Would you want a ... man (and I use that term loosely) who has such venomous and regressive views on human beings to be charged with the well being and curriculum of a single child let along sit on a school board? Consider your answer carefully.

Tam! RUGH!
Josh James xVx is offline  
#15 Old 10-29-2010, 10:13 PM
Ira
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh James xVx View Post

Would you want a ... man (and I use that term loosely) who has such venomous and regressive views on human beings to be charged with the well being and curriculum of a single child let along sit on a school board? Consider your answer carefully.

He is one person on a board. And I don't like to say that people who I disagree with shouldn't have a voice.

I see how this situation is problematic and people may have an issue with it. But I have a problem with firing a person based on opinion. It can always come the other way around if we allow it, and none of us wants someone to be fired because he respects gays
Ira is offline  
#16 Old 10-29-2010, 10:54 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Josh James xVx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 3,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira View Post

He is one person on a board. And I don't like to say that people who I disagree with shouldn't have a voice.

I see how this situation is problematic and people may have an issue with it. But I have a problem with firing a person based on opinion. It can always come the other way around if we allow it, and none of us wants someone to be fired because he respects gays

And yet people's opinions do and always have gotten them elected. That's what politics are all about. Presidents and Congressmen lose their jobs because of their opinions and words every day. A school board member is in a similar position. The words and opinions of such a person are quite literally part of their work, if not the greater part of it. These people work using their ideas, and some ideas are poisonous. For better or worse, popular opinion truly does affect the job status of certain individuals. If those individuals do not like or cannot accept that fact, they should not seek public jobs. They should work in the private sector.

Nobody has removed this person's right to be an ignorant, regressive bigot. He's free to post what he wishes from the safety of his own home, or on the street corner, or at a KKK meeting or whatever type of regressive hate group such a person hangs out in. But not in a public job.

Tam! RUGH!
Josh James xVx is offline  
#17 Old 10-30-2010, 04:02 PM
Veggie Regular
 
draconian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira View Post

He is one person on a board. And I don't like to say that people who I disagree with shouldn't have a voice.

I see how this situation is problematic and people may have an issue with it. But I have a problem with firing a person based on opinion. It can always come the other way around if we allow it, and none of us wants someone to be fired because he respects gays

I agree 100%. It's not MY school district, or I would have some input. If this is the community's view and they agree with this guy, then he's representing them well. If they don't agree, it's up to THEM to remove him from the board.

Trying to police people all over the world and censoring their speech really rubs me the wrong way. The US has a section of the population that says they love free speech, unless they disagree with you. Then they shut you down.

--
The Twilight Is My Robe
draconian is offline  
#18 Old 10-30-2010, 04:42 PM
 
IamJen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 19,134
Quote:
But I have a problem with firing a person based on opinion.

Oh for ****'s sake. This is not about creationism vs. evolution or any of the other "opinions" that people espouse at school board meetings. The man said that he was glad that gay people got AIDS and died.

What if, instead of talking about the word "fag", he'd said that black people should just get used to being called n*****?

Quote:
I agree 100%. It's not MY school district, or I would have some input. If this is the community's view and they agree with this guy, then he's representing them well. If they don't agree, it's up to THEM to remove him from the board.

So let's turn the other way then? So much for protecting the innocent, standing up for the little guy or any of that nonsense.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
IamJen is offline  
#19 Old 10-31-2010, 08:14 AM
Veggie Regular
 
beatricious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,904
Quote:
Originally Posted by draconian View Post

Trying to police people all over the world and censoring their speech really rubs me the wrong way. The US has a section of the population that says they love free speech, unless they disagree with you. Then they shut you down.

The right to free speech != the right to say horribly hateful things about an entire section of the population without being fired. You're allowed to hold whatever opinions you want, but your employers are not forced to continue paying you, nor do you have the right to express those opinions in a public forum without anybody calling you an a**hole.

Calling for this man's resignation, incidentally, is also an expression of free speech.
beatricious is offline  
#20 Old 10-31-2010, 08:30 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Nishani's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 7,577
Quote:
Originally Posted by ira View Post

he is one person on a board. And i don't like to say that people who i disagree with shouldn't have a voice.

I see how this situation is problematic and people may have an issue with it. But i have a problem with firing a person based on opinion. It can always come the other way around if we allow it, and none of us wants someone to be fired because he respects gays

Hooley ****ing dooley.



Quote:
Originally Posted by draconian View Post

Trying to police people all over the world and censoring their speech really rubs me the wrong way. The US has a section of the population that says they love free speech, unless they disagree with you. Then they shut you down.

IMO, people who believe in free speech at any damaging cost, are almost as responsible for spreading hatred in the community as the people who spew out the hateful comments. Any time a person doesn't take a stand against this, it's condoning bigotry.

m8itcanw8.com
Nishani is offline  
#21 Old 10-31-2010, 10:40 AM
Veggie Regular
 
draconian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nishani View Post

IMO, people who believe in free speech at any damaging cost, are almost as responsible for spreading hatred in the community as the people who spew out the hateful comments. Any time a person doesn't take a stand against this, it's condoning bigotry.

Oh, so now I'M responsible? WOW! I make the distinction between this guy calling a rally in the school gym and spewing his stuff and him posting on facebook.

That said, lets talk about human belief systems. I doubt anything short of GOD herself appearing to this guy will make him change his belief that homosexuality is wrong. This guy doesn't like gays. The only reason I could possibly care is if he begins creating policy that discriminates against gays. I work with someone who is very, VERY opposed to gay marriage. There's no way I can talk them into accepting gay civil unions (which I support). I ask what harm can come from allowing gay civil unions? Their response: it's not right. Do I think they're being stubborn? Sure, but I'd rather have people formulate their own thoughts than drugging or mind controlling people.

What if we swap the roles. What if we take an agnostic or an atheist who hates religion and we force them to believe in God and love Jesus? I think it's everyone's right to NOT believe in God, or lets go further, to even hate Jesus. Do you agree with them getting fired because they posted an anti-Jesus rant on facebook?

I have a second cousin that hates fat people. I mean absolutely HATES fat people. She won't date anyone who is even on the upper range of "normal" BMI. Does she have a right to hate fat people? Should we force her to change her mind? Should she be fired for her beliefs? Should we MAKE her like fat people? To date one? To marry one?

There are no other veg*ns where I work. Many people are on Atkins-style diets. If I post that "Meat is Murder" and that omni's are ignorant and that I hope that the butchered animals they are consuming kill them should I be fired? They think I'm totally, certifiably nuts and not a week goes by that someone isn't begging (yes BEGGING) me to eat something with milk or eggs in it. Should they make me change my opinion? Should they tie me down and force-feed me meat?

I think factory farming is wrong. The school board guy thinks homosexuality is wrong. The atheist thinks religion is wrong. I don't want to start forcing other people to change their opinions because I can guarantee that I'd be at the top of a LOT of omni's lists to change mine.

I don't think what this school board member said was very smart and I doubt I'll be stopping over for coffee anytime soon BUT he's got a right to express his opinions and ideas on his own time. Just as other people have the right to disagree with him.

--
The Twilight Is My Robe
draconian is offline  
#22 Old 10-31-2010, 10:45 AM
Super Moderator
 
danakscully64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 34,591
I definitely don't think others are responsible. The fact is he made a choice to say lots of hateful things and he is suffering the consequences. Freedom of speech doesn't mean immunity to say whatever you want and still keep your job.
danakscully64 is offline  
#23 Old 10-31-2010, 10:49 AM
Super Moderator
 
danakscully64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 34,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by draconian View Post

The school board guy thinks homosexuality is wrong.

The issue isn't him believing homosexuality is wrong, there are lots of people in political office who make it clear that they believe this way. The fact that he used homosexual slurs (queer and fag) and said "I also enjoy the fact that they often give each other AIDS and die." You make a public statement like that (hate to say it, but Facebook is public, no matter what your privacy settings are), you suffer the consequences.
danakscully64 is offline  
#24 Old 10-31-2010, 11:34 AM
Veggie Regular
 
lavenderboozer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

I definitely don't think others are responsible. The fact is he made a choice to say lots of hateful things and he is suffering the consequences. Freedom of speech doesn't mean immunity to say whatever you want and still keep your job.

This.

Spreading hate by any school personnel is scary stuff. It makes me wonder how he treats the children he is charged with representing. I cant help but think persons interacting with our children in an official way should be held to a higher standard.
lavenderboozer is offline  
#25 Old 10-31-2010, 11:38 AM
Super Moderator
 
danakscully64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 34,591
Exactly. I think it's pretty much accepted that if you hold a position of power, you're more liable for what you say. Every time the President says something, people jump on him for this or that (no matter how innocent it is). Everything you say can be held against you, you want to be careful not to tarnish your name or the name of the company/organization you work for.
danakscully64 is offline  
#26 Old 10-31-2010, 12:22 PM
mlp
Banned
 
mlp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 8,995
Quote:
Originally Posted by beatricious View Post

The right to free speech != the right to say horribly hateful things about an entire section of the population without being fired. You're allowed to hold whatever opinions you want, but your employers are not forced to continue paying you, nor do you have the right to express those opinions in a public forum without anybody calling you an a**hole.

Calling for this man's resignation, incidentally, is also an expression of free speech.

+1 (I took the liberty of bolding the part that I think so many people forget about.)
mlp is offline  
#27 Old 10-31-2010, 12:31 PM
Newbie
 
GhostUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 0
what a moron. i was gonna say i hope one of his kids grows up to be gay cuz thatll really mess with his head but with a dad like that, i dont think i wanna wish that on them.
GhostUser is offline  
#28 Old 10-31-2010, 11:08 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Josh James xVx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 3,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by draconian View Post

What if we swap the roles. What if we take an agnostic or an atheist who hates religion and we force them to believe in God and love Jesus? I think it's everyone's right to NOT believe in God, or lets go further, to even hate Jesus. Do you agree with them getting fired because they posted an anti-Jesus rant on facebook?

It's funny you should bring that up, since the opposite was the norm where I grew up. Almost every teacher was evangelical and the kids who were even moderately nonreligious or not vocal about religion were fair game for mockery on a regular basis. Not surprisingly these teachers are cut from a similar community/belief mold as this homophobic "gentleman." I think the difference between a progressive or atheist school board member and these people is that progressives and atheists usually aren't the ones forcing other people to try to be like them. And before you bring up the 'they took prayer out of schools' thing, that is absolutely not true nor comparable. Students are free to pray if they wish but teachers can't lead the class in prayer. And I'm sure you'd agree that were a good thing if your kid had a Muslim or Hindu teacher and the shoe was on the other foot.

Tam! RUGH!
Josh James xVx is offline  
#29 Old 11-01-2010, 05:39 PM
Veggie Regular
 
draconian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh James xVx View Post

since the opposite was the norm where I grew up. Almost every teacher was evangelical and the kids who were even moderately nonreligious or not vocal about religion were fair game for mockery on a regular basis...

That's terrible, BUT I disagree with your other points. Here on VB there's a huge push to conform to a very left-leaning viewpoint. I'm more Democrat than Republican but some of the members and posts are so far out there they make me want to go join the TEA party. That's very, very sad because I like it in the middle

--
The Twilight Is My Robe
draconian is offline  
#30 Old 11-01-2010, 08:21 PM
Ira
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,385
eh, yes if you believe in free speech you should believe in free speech for everyone. it doesn't work like "free speech but only for those i agree with".

And the idea that free speech means that you can say all you want but deal with the consequences is ridiculous. In this case people should be fired by their bosses for any difference in opinion. "oh, so you believe people shouldn't eat meat? get out!" "you are pro choice? out!" And btw with this way of thinking means that Stalin was very much into freedom of speech. I mean you could say whatever you want, just had to deal with the fact that you will be shot or go to siberia

One should only lose the job if one does something that is hateful to other people. basically if you act like a bigot you affect others and you get out, but if you talk like a bigot on a facebook you stay. Gettring someone out because he "might do something" just isn't right. Considering that nobody had a problem with his work until that status update i would say that he didn't givce a reason to be fired.

And throughout the history people who were oppressing the ones who think differently were always 100% sure that they are the ones who are right, their worldview is correct and everyone else is wrong so he doesn't deserve a voice. this is nothing different from what you are trying to do here, people
Ira is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off