Tea Party : Obama doesn't deport illegals! Obama: Let's kick the ballistics here - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-07-2010, 09:58 AM
American Made, Rebel Born

Quote:
WASHINGTON The United States deported a record 392,000 illegal immigrants over the past year, nearly half of them people with criminal convictions, Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano said Wednesday.

The number deported during the 2010 fiscal year ending September 30 surpassed the record of 389,000 deportations set the previous year.

More than 195,000 of those deported were convicted criminals, according to the US Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency.

"This administration has focused on enforcing our immigration laws in a smart, effective manner that prioritizes public safety and national security and holds employers accountable who knowingly and repeatedly break the law," Napolitano said.

Illegal immigration has become a hot election year issue, particularly in border states like Arizona which is wrestling over a controversial law that requires police to question suspected aliens about their immigration status.

Napolitano, herself a former Arizona governor, used the latest statistics to make the case that the administration of President Barack Obama has been tougher in enforcing immigration laws than his Republican predecessor George Bush.

She said the by-the-books approach has resulted in the removal of "more convicted criminal aliens than ever before and issuing more financial sanctions on employers who knowingly and repeatedly violate immigration law than during the entire previous administration."

Immigration agents have audited 3,200 employers suspected of hiring illegal immigrants, debarred 225 companies and individuals, and levied 50 million dollars in penalties -- more than during the entire Bush administration, ICE said.

AP

cry havoc! and let slip the dogs of war.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-07-2010, 10:27 AM
Veggie Regular

Thanks K...reality, something that doesn't impinge upon the Tea Party that often
#3 Old 10-07-2010, 10:46 AM
American Made, Rebel Born

maybe i should bold the last statement?

cry havoc! and let slip the dogs of war.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-07-2010, 02:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenickie View Post

maybe i should bold the last statement?

Do it!
#5 Old 10-07-2010, 05:44 PM

This is all just peachy if you're one of those ordinary Americans who cheer the forced relocation of humans from their houses, their jobs, and their families.
#6 Old 10-07-2010, 10:10 PM
Veggie Regular

*sigh* It was a little over a year ago that three people I knew very well were deported. To my knowledge none of them had violent criminal convictions.

I'm curious what sorts of crimes the article is talking about with the 195,000 of those deported having been convicted of. Are we talking about a speeding ticket? Domestic abuse? Theft?

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#7 Old 10-07-2010, 11:03 PM
Red
Veggie Regular

It's funny Napolitano would make the comparison with Bush, given that nobody on the right thought he did a very good job on that one, either. Maybe she wasn't paying attention?

Napolitano: "We're better than Bush"

The Collective Right: "Yeah? OK... and... ?"
#8 Old 10-07-2010, 11:07 PM
Red
Veggie Regular

I wonder if that's gonna be the Hope and Change of 2012?

"Hey - It Could've Been Worse"

#9 Old 10-07-2010, 11:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Damn. I should leave the country fast. All my ancestors were illegal immigrants. Even the Cherokee..they stole this land from the Mammoths and Sabre Tooth Tigers.

Tam! RUGH!
#10 Old 10-08-2010, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylark View Post

*sigh* It was a little over a year ago that three people I knew very well were deported. To my knowledge none of them had violent criminal convictions.

I'm curious what sorts of crimes the article is talking about with the 195,000 of those deported having been convicted of. Are we talking about a speeding ticket? Domestic abuse? Theft?

Right, and 200,000 of them were not convicted "criminals" at all and I'd bet the vast majority of the 195,000 who were convicted were convicted of non-violent minor offenses.

Politics should't be a competition. It can and does have real positive and real negative effects on real humans and real animals and a politician should be judged not on a comparison to another politician but on the amount of harm or good caused by their policies.
#11 Old 10-08-2010, 04:31 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post

Right, and 200,000 of them were not convicted "criminals" at all and I'd bet the vast majority of the 195,000 who were convicted were convicted of non-violent minor offenses.

Politics shouldn't be a competition. It can and does have real positive and real negative effects on real humans and real animals and a politician should be judged not on a comparison to another politician but on the amount of harm or good caused by their policies.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to lionize immigrants and say that none of them do horrible, criminal things. There are some who do, just as there are some natural-born citizens who do. And if anyone's going to be deported, I'd certainly rather it be those who have not behaved themselves well. There are some US citizens who were born here I'd like to offer up for deportation, too, because I'm sick of dealing with them.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#12 Old 10-08-2010, 06:36 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylark View Post

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to lionize immigrants and say that none of them do horrible, criminal things. There are some who do, just as there are some natural-born citizens who do. And if anyone's going to be deported, I'd certainly rather it be those who have not behaved themselves well. There are some US citizens who were born here I'd like to offer up for deportation, too, because I'm sick of dealing with them.

I have had days like that. Fortunately, not too often.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page