Vegetarians shouldnt eat eggs? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-21-2010, 03:35 AM

Do u think its acceptable for a vegetarian to eat eggs or do u see at it the same way as pescatarians being hypocrites?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-21-2010, 03:37 AM
Veggie Regular

Fish is different then eggs. Vegetarians have the option to eat dairy and eggs if they want. Personally the only dairy and eggs I've been eating has been in some food I buy and that's it.

8/3/2010 is the last time I consumed meat.
8/4/2010 is when I became a full blown Vegetarian and I couldn't be more proud.
#3 Old 08-21-2010, 04:15 AM
Arrrg! Me mateys.

I think I know what your talking about. Fertilized eggs, right?

korrakorrakorrakorrakorra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-21-2010, 05:09 AM
Veggie Regular

By modern connotations, it is acceptable for "vegetarians" to eat eggs. (The "techincal" classification would be "ovo-vegetarian," meaning a vegetarian who makes an EXCEPTION in the vegetarian diet in order to include eggs. But people generally understand "vegetarian" to mean "lacto-ovo vegetarian.")

Personally, I have a very hard time understanding how someone can say they don't eat meat because they don't want to contribute to animal suffering or death, and then go eat factory farmed eggs. That, to me, seems to be a WILD ethical contradiction.

If they don't eat meat for some other reason (health, the environment, they just don't like the taste) but are not concerned with the treatment of animals, then I don't see any hypocrisy in their eating habits at all. Or, if, say they DO care about the treatment of animals, but do feel okay with taking eggs from chickens in theory - it they have chickens at home and care for them themselves, and eat those eggs? I don't see hypocrisy of belief there either.

*shrug*
#5 Old 08-21-2010, 05:24 AM
Rat Queen/Mouse Matriarch

Agreed with Semicharmed but any reduction in the consumption of animal products is a good thing.

I can't abandon the person I used to be, so I carry her.
#6 Old 08-21-2010, 05:26 AM
Beginner

The first year I was vegetarian, I didn't eat eggs because I was influenced by ISKCON, who prohibit eggs. Now I eat eggs in things like bakery products and chocolate bars. I don't eat fried eggs, scrambled eggs, egg sandwiches etc because I can't stand the taste.

To most people in the West, the term 'vegetarian' means 'lacto-ovo vegetarian' (or 'pescetarian' to some people). In India it means 'lacto vegetarian'. The Vegetarian Society here gives its tick to products that contain free-range eggs. I do think that the presence of eggs should be indicated so that lacto-vegetarians realise they cannot eat such products.

Check out my vegetarian product blog: http://isitveggienz.wordpress.com/
#7 Old 08-21-2010, 08:33 AM
Veggie Regular

I generally agree with Semi-charmed's comments, though even with free range, organic, etc. etc. eggs I feel guilty when I take them. I don't like the idea of drinking another animal's milk generally because of the way we do it.

My taste buds are increasingly rejecting the taste of milk and I always hated the taste of eggs.

And I am pretty sure the poster meant non-fertilized eggs Puppetmaster. Fertilized would definitely be meat.
#8 Old 08-21-2010, 08:38 AM
Veggie Regular

Vegetarians have different beliefs about eggs. On this board there are many vegetarians who see veganism as an ideal that they aspire to, and they would pretty much agree that eggs and dairy should be avoided. Others don't regard themselves as aspiring vegans, and among those, the answer depends on individual beliefs and motivations. To me it makes a difference ethically as to whether the eggs came from factory layers or from my daughter's pet hens. But health was also one of my motives in giving up meat in the first place. And my blood pressure didn't move in the right direction until I got serious about restricting milk, cheese and eggs. At this point, even if I had year-round access to the eggs of someone's pets, I'd keep that consumption to an occasional treat.
#9 Old 08-21-2010, 09:42 AM

I think it depends if the egg is fertilized or not. Although, I don't really understand vegetarians that are "animal activists" that consume eggs. The egg laying hens are horribly abused and just because you're not eating the animal itself you are still eating its offspring.
#10 Old 08-21-2010, 10:33 AM
Veggie Regular

I have always believed the weird notion that vegetarians eat vegetables. An egg is not a vegetable.
Aside from that, I have read that eggs cause the most suffering of any food per bite. More than meat.
#11 Old 08-21-2010, 10:39 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by delicioso View Post

I have always believed the weird notion that vegetarians eat vegetables. An egg is not a vegetable.
Aside from that, I have read that eggs cause the most suffering of any food per bite. More than meat.

Plants... Vegetarians eat plants. Not just vegetables.
#12 Old 08-21-2010, 10:57 AM
Veggie Regular

Vegetarians eat minerals too. Some of us take extra iron or calcium, for example. From the looks of my calcium supplement, I'd guess it had been quarried.

An unfertilized egg is not a vegetable, but neither is it an animal. Any more than a placenta or piece of crap is an animal.
#13 Old 08-21-2010, 10:57 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semicharmed View Post

By modern connotations, it is acceptable for "vegetarians" to eat eggs. (The "techincal" classification would be "ovo-vegetarian," meaning a vegetarian who makes an EXCEPTION in the vegetarian diet in order to include eggs. But people generally understand "vegetarian" to mean "lacto-ovo vegetarian.")

Personally, I have a very hard time understanding how someone can say they don't eat meat because they don't want to contribute to animal suffering or death, and then go eat factory farmed eggs. That, to me, seems to be a WILD ethical contradiction.

If they don't eat meat for some other reason (health, the environment, they just don't like the taste) but are not concerned with the treatment of animals, then I don't see any hypocrisy in their eating habits at all. Or, if, say they DO care about the treatment of animals, but do feel okay with taking eggs from chickens in theory - it they have chickens at home and care for them themselves, and eat those eggs? I don't see hypocrisy of belief there either.

*shrug*

Agreed.
It is so much harder to avoid egg and milk ingrediants then just slaughterhouse remnants, which is why I'm sure there are more o/l vegetarians.
The idea that killing is wrong, but enslavement okay is scary but all too easy to excuse. Eggs are used in so much more than food! I can't begin to think how many are just for vaccines.
I certainly miss things like just accepting random candy, or bakery. Now I'll have to be that person.
Want some dark chocolate? I made cupcakes!

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#14 Old 08-21-2010, 10:59 AM
Banned

The more I thought about it, the stranger it seemed to me that eggs are classified as a vegetarian food. They're so far removed from plants/vegetation and just... such a weird thing for anybody to want to eat!
#15 Old 08-21-2010, 11:02 AM
Riot Nrrrd

I've heard it said (and say it myself) that if someone is concerned about suffering and for some (probably silly/nonsensical) reason can only manage to avoid one solitary product, eggs from confinement operations should go.

Dave in MPLS / DISCLAIMER: I am not an actual rooster.
"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 18002738255
#16 Old 08-21-2010, 11:04 AM
Banned

Please let's be careful about stepping over the 'vegan vs. vegetarian' line in this discussion. The merits and vegetarianness of egg-eating can be discussed without suggestion that lacto-ovo or ovo-vegetarians are not doing enough, ethically.
#17 Old 08-21-2010, 11:29 AM
Riot Nrrrd

Quote:
vegetarianness of egg-eating

I think the general public would say vegetarians eat eggs. The earliest formal definitions of the word that I know of don't mention eggs, but they are frequently used in meatfree recipes from the same time (I'm thinking mid-1800s). So the question of DO seems open and shut.

Dave in MPLS / DISCLAIMER: I am not an actual rooster.
"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 18002738255
#18 Old 08-21-2010, 11:33 AM
Herbivorous Urchin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in MPLS View Post

I think the general public would say vegetarians eat eggs. The earliest formal definitions of the word that I know of don't mention eggs, but they are frequently used in meatfree recipes from the same time (I'm thinking mid-1800s). So the question of DO seems open and shut.

+1

I don't think the question is "do Vegetarians eat eggs" because, they certainly do, and it's in the realm of "acceptable".
If you were curious if you should, you can take a look around where eggs come from, and decide for yourself from there.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#19 Old 08-21-2010, 11:40 AM
Banned

It's debatable because, as somebody already said, in India the definition of vegetarian usually means lacto-vegetarian, and eggs aren't considered a vegetarian food. There are people on VB from many countries, including India, so this isn't exactly a redundant question.
#20 Old 08-21-2010, 12:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthling View Post

Please let's be careful about stepping over the 'vegan vs. vegetarian' line in this discussion. The merits and vegetarianness of egg-eating can be discussed without suggestion that lacto-ovo or ovo-vegetarians are not doing enough, ethically.

I understand the point of not discussing the merits of eggs/dairy in the vegetarian forum GENERALLY, but when being asked a direct question, where exactly is the line drawn?

You're gonna make me puke my pants.
#21 Old 08-21-2010, 12:17 PM
Banned

Discussing eggs and dairy in the vegetarian forum is fine. You can give factual information if it is directly asked for, but you shouldn't say or imply that vegetarians are not doing enough.
#22 Old 08-21-2010, 12:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

The more I thought about it, the stranger it seemed to me that eggs are classified as a vegetarian food. They're so far removed from plants/vegetation and just... such a weird thing for anybody to want to eat!

Of course there's something about being acclimated to it from before we learn how to talk, plus its presence in so many foods, that makes it seem not weird at all. I can see where some adult who'd never eaten an egg might be nauseated by the idea. But that same adult, if he'd never eaten ice cream before, might jump for joy like a baby does at first exposure. Then might immediately accept the idea of whatever major ingredients made up its content.
#23 Old 08-21-2010, 02:19 PM
Beginner

There seems to be so many different levels of vegetarianism, I tend to get confused.

So, as a vegetarian, where do I stand ? Well, taking the "if it involves killing then its verboten" as a given, personally I see no fundamental problem with eggs, milk and such bearing in mind that in an ideal world the animal is getting both life and looked after in exchange.

However, I did say ideal world (ok, vegetarian ideal world). "life" and "looked after" is just so far from the reality of the vast majority of farmed animals that for me personally eggs too should be verboten for any vegetarian for who the driving force is animal welfare (like me) as opposed to those whose motivation is health or environment.

But I feel I have to compromise. I won't buy eggs, I wont buy directly egg products (egg noodles, scrambled egg, so forth) but there are times when indirect products are acceptable to me as a compromise, usually when having to mix with friends and family who are mostly meat eaters. For example, Quorn "chicken" roast at Christmas. There are also instances of products that are labeled vegetarian but I can't work out why they wouldn't also be vegan based on the ingredients list. Presumably traces of egg/milk derived products, so presumably yet again I'm compromising.

But the bottom line is, my compromises have meant that I haven't knowingly strayed from from the straight and narrow after all these years and I suspect if I had tried to go the whole hog then I wouldn't be here in this forum now.

TTFN,
Jon

PS : I don't like my dependency on milk either, but until soya alternatives are _readilly_ available in sizes where I don't have to throw 80% of it out because I can't use it up fast enough then again I've had to compromise.
#24 Old 08-21-2010, 04:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

In a way, that's what I think. I went from omni to lacto-veg initially because I didn't think it made sense (to me) to eat eggs. But I think its almost more of a personal decision, in a way, such as 'well, when does the egg become meat or have the potential to become meat'. And, since I think its pretty personal, I don't try to argue/convert/get converted on the matter. I just consider it a quirk of my ethics.

*shrug*
#25 Old 08-21-2010, 05:11 PM

I believe in Choice and its a Personal Choice of many factors and personal reasons what people do and dont do.....I like that we area all unique and beautiful in our own way and never judge what people do.....on a personal note I have been on both sides of the fence a Veggie and a Vegan....(I was Vegan first actually went straight from Omni to Vegan) and both are beautiful in their own way....I have not been able to remain Vegan due to mostly medical issues and I used to have such guilt about that and would feel guilty and like a failure when I ate an egg or whatever....no more and not for the longest time.....we need to do whats best for us and keep ourselves healthy, centered, and balanced in order to do any good for the animals.

Peace, Love and Hippiness.

peace
#26 Old 08-21-2010, 05:38 PM
Beginner

My wife only buys free-range eggs. I've checked the website for one free-range egg company, and they say that they treat the chickens well and give them lots of room to run around. I think they also don't de-beak the chickens.

Check out my vegetarian product blog: http://isitveggienz.wordpress.com/
#27 Old 08-21-2010, 06:57 PM
Veggie Regular

In response to the question of whether or not vegetarians should eat eggs: I don't think that anybody should consume animal protein of any kind, in any form.
#28 Old 08-21-2010, 07:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog View Post

In response to the question of whether or not vegetarians should eat eggs: I don't think that anybody should consume animal protein of any kind, in any form.

I'd love to adopt that mentality for a couple hours, just to see the look on my boyfriend's face.
#29 Old 08-21-2010, 08:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I'd love to adopt that mentality for a couple hours, just to see the look on my boyfriend's face.

lol
#30 Old 08-21-2010, 08:18 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

You dirty, dirty girl

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page