just for laughs (us version) - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-28-2004, 11:35 AM
Veggie Regular

** List of Stupid Laws in the United States **

"These are real standing laws from around the United States of America. Hope you enjoy them and remember, Law Enforcement is no joke!"

- Alabama:

1. It is illegal for a driver to be blindfolded while operating a vehicle.

- Alaska:

1. It is illegal to push a live moose out of a moving airplane.

- California:

1. Community leaders passed an ordinance that makes it illegal for anyone to try and stop a child from playfully jumping over puddles of water.

- Connecticut:

1. You can be stopped by the police for biking over 65 miles per hour.

2. You are not allowed to walk across a street on your hands.

- Florida:

1. Women may be fined for falling asleep under a hair dryer, as can the salon owner.

2. A special law prohibits unmarried women from parachuting on Sunday or she shall risk arrest, fine, and/or jailing.

3. If an elephant is left tied to a parking meter, the parking fee has to be paid just as it would for a vehicle.

4. It is illegal to sing in a public place while attired in a swimsuit.

5. Men may not be seen publicly in any kind of strapless gown.

6. Any form of sexual contact other than missionary position is a misdomeanor. (This is still a law. There have been several cases of people being brought up on these charges in the past 5 years alone. If the police enter a home with a warrent for some other crime and catch the 'culprits' in action, they can, and are, brought up on those charges.)

- Illinois:

1. It is illegal for anyone to give lighted cigars to dogs, cats, and other domesticated animal kept as pets.

- Indiana:

1. Bathing is prohibited during the winter.

2. Citizens are not allowed to attend a movie house or theater nor ride in a public streetcar within at least four hours after eating garlic.

- Iowa:

1. Kisses may last for as much as, but no more than, five minutes.

- Kentucky:

1. By law, anyone who has been drinking is "sober" until he or she "cannot hold onto the ground."

2. It is illegal to transport an ice cream cone in your pocket.

- Louisiana:

1. It is illegal to rob a bank and then shoot at the bank teller with a water pistol.

2. Biting someone with your natural teeth is "simple assault," while biting someone with your false teeth is "aggravated assault."

- Massachusetts:

1. Mourners at a wake may not eat more than three sandwiches.

2. Snoring is prohibited unless all bedroom windows are closed and securely locked.

3. An old ordinance declares goatees illegal unless you first pay a special license fee for the privilege of wearing one in public.

4. Taxi drivers are prohibited from making love in the front seat of their taxi during their shifts.

- Nebraska:

1. A parent can be arrested if his child cannot hold back a burp during a church service.

- New Mexico:

1. Females are strictly forbidden to appear unshaven in public.

- New York:

1. A fine of $25 can be levied for flirting. This old law specifically prohibits men from turning around on any city street and looking "at a woman in that way." A second conviction for a crime of this magnitude calls for the violating male to be forced to wear a "pair of horse-blinders" wherever and whenever he goes outside for a stroll.

- North Dakota:

1. Beer & pretzels can't be served at the same time in any bar or restaurant.

- Ohio:

1. Women are prohibited from wearing patent leather shoes in public.

- Oklahoma:

1. Violators can be fined, arrested or jailed for making ugly faces at a dog.

2. Females are forbidden from doing their own hair without being licensed by the state.

3. Dogs must have a permit signed by the mayor in order to congregate in groups of three or more on private property.

- Pennsylvania:

1. A special cleaning ordinance bans housewives from hiding dirt and dust under a rug in a dwelling.

2. No man may purchase alcohol without written consent from his wife.

- Tennessee:

1. It is illegal to lasso a catfish in Tennessee!! (Julie.Miller)

- Texas:

1. A city ordinance states that a person cannot go barefoot without first obtaining a special five-dollar permit.

2. It is illegal to take more than three sips of beer at a time while standing.

- Vermont:

1. Lawmakers made it obligatory for everybody to take at least one bath each week -- on Saturday night.

- Washington:

1. All lollipops are banned.

2. A law to reduce crime states: "It is mandatory for a motorist with criminal intentions to stop at the city limits and telephone the chief of police as he is entering the town.

3. In King County, in Seattle Washington, it is illegal to sit on a man's lap on a metro bus, unless you are married.

4. Vancouver, WA has a city law that requires all motor vehicles to carry anchors... as an emergency brake. (Ted Timmons)

- West Virginia:

1. No children may attend school with their breath smelling of "wild onions."

the sheer stupidity...

i can't even choose a favorite. can you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-28-2004, 11:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegan23 View Post

6. Any form of sexual contact other than missionary position is a misdomeanor. (This is still a law. There have been several cases of people being brought up on these charges in the past 5 years alone. If the police enter a home with a warrent for some other crime and catch the 'culprits' in action, they can, and are, brought up on those charges.)

ok,maybe this one

god bless america...the world would be such a sad place without it,people would have nothing left to laugh at
#3 Old 01-28-2004, 12:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Since many of those laws probably result, in a reasonable manner, from some special cases, they are understandable, but granted, some of those were a bit odd.

What was the "Samaritarian law" (or something) that got the whole Seinfeld crowd arrested, any truth to that?

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-28-2004, 12:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

Since many of those laws probably result, in a reasonable manner, from some special cases, they are understandable, but granted, some of those were a bit odd.

yeah,and i have to say this one should be a law everywhere in the world

Quote:
- New Mexico: 1. Females are strictly forbidden to appear unshaven in public.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

What was the "Samaritarian law" (or something) that got the whole Seinfeld crowd arrested, any truth to that?

Yes. Arizona's Good Samaritan law is found at A.R.S. § 32-1471 and says:

Any health care provider licensed or certified to practice as such in this state or elsewhere, or a licensed ambulance attendant, driver or pilot as defined in § 41-1831, or any other person who renders emergency care at a public gathering or at the scene of an emergency occurrence gratuitously and in good faith shall not be liable for any civil or other damages as the result of any act or omission by such person rendering the emergency care, or as the result of any act or failure to act to provide or arrange for further medical treatment or care for the injured persons, unless such person, while rendering such emergency care, is guilty of gross negligence.

other states have it too.but it's the same story : it basically provides you rescuer immunity,if you act in good faith and without willful or wanton negligence. so nothing to do with the law from seinfeld.
#5 Old 01-28-2004, 12:26 PM
Banned

The "samaritan law" Sevenseas referred to is actually based on a French law, which I believe was either ineffect for, or rose out of, the Princess Di accident where reporters or bystanders allegedly took pictures rather than providing assistance.

This is vastly different from the "Good Samaritan" laws prevalent in numerous US states, which prevent civil liablility damages from being won from medical professionals or others who attempt to aid accident victims.
#6 Old 01-28-2004, 12:27 PM
Banned

Quote:

i can't even choose a favorite. can you?

It's times like these I wonder why we didn't let the Germans keep control of your useless hides.
#7 Old 01-28-2004, 12:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tame View Post

It's times like these I wonder why we didn't let the Germans keep control of your useless hides.

we? don't flatter yourself... how many wars did you fight in? how many germans did you kill? how exactly did you contribute to liberating europe(take into consideration the fact that you weren't even born,ok?) in fact,did you ever leave the nice chair you comfortably sit in right now?

do you have to start this in every thread i post in? get a life...

PS: btw,romania was bombed by the us and not liberated,if you care to know. we liberated ourselves with a little help from our "friends",the russians.
#8 Old 01-28-2004, 12:38 PM
Banned

Quote:

we? don't flatter yourself... how many wars did you fight in? how many germans did you kill? how exactly did you contribute to liberating europe(take into consideration the fact that you weren't even born,ok?)

My family did. And some lost their lives so some European mongrels can sit around convincing themselves of their superiority, while ignoring problems in their own back yard.

Your welcome.
#9 Old 01-28-2004, 12:43 PM
Banned

Quote:

ok,maybe this one

BTW, that is no longer a law. And I would love the supposed to see the alleged stats and source for the numerous people allegedly brought up on this charge.
#10 Old 01-28-2004, 12:45 PM
Banned

Quote:

do you have to start this in every thread i post in? get a life...

PS: btw,romania was bombed by the us and not liberated,if you care to know. we liberated ourselves with a little help from our "friends",the russians.

Says the person who has dragged forward quotes of mine from weeks past in other threads...yeah, I'm stalking you.
#11 Old 01-28-2004, 12:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
On August 23, 1944, Marshal Ion Antonescu was arrested by order of King Michael I. The new government, made of military and technicians, declared war on Germany (on August 24, 1944). Romania joined the United Nations, with all her economic and military forces, until the end of the war in Europe. Despite the great human and economic efforts for the cause of the United Nations, as demonstrated by the remaining nine mounth of the war, the Peace Treaty of Paris (February 10, 1947) did not acknowledge Romania her status of cobelligerentcountry and compelled her to pay a huge war compensation. Nevertheless, the treaty acknowledged north-eastern Transylvania as rightfully belonging to Romania; Bassarabia, northern Bucovina and the Hertza land remained annexed to the USSR. As the Soviet troops remained on her territory and the Western powers abandoned her, Romania knew, in the period to come, an evolution similar to the other satellite countries of the USSR.The power was taken over by the communist exclusivelly, the political parties were dismantled and their members persecuted and sent to prison. King Michael I was forced to abdicate. The same day, December 30, 1947, the People's Republic of Romania was proclaimed and the dictatorship of a unique party was introduced, as based on an omnipotent and omnipresent surveillance and represion system.

1.YOU didn't free us,it was us and the red army who did it.

2.YOU left us(along with the entire eastern block) for dead,after promises and promises that the russians would never take over.
#12 Old 01-28-2004, 01:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Is this true?

9. On a Canadian two dollar bill

The flag flying over the Parliament building is an American flag
#13 Old 01-28-2004, 01:02 PM
Banned

Okay, I'm sorry. I'm using a general "you" for Europe, which without US assistance to Britain and the USSR, would have fallen like a house of cards.

You have to excuse me. I am used to considering Romania to be fairly irrelevant throughout history.
#14 Old 01-28-2004, 01:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by catmorrison View Post

Is this true?

9. On a Canadian two dollar bill

The flag flying over the Parliament building is an American flag

Nope. Check snopes.com, it's an urban legend.

Besides, we don't have a two dollar bill anymore! We have the twoonie!
#15 Old 01-28-2004, 01:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

You have to excuse me. I am used to considering Romania to be fairly irrelevant throughout history.

no need for excuses, i agree with you. though the romanians did keep the turks from getting into europe quite a few times and that was no small fee back then
#16 Old 01-28-2004, 01:20 PM
Veggie Regular

You are such an ass, Tame.

Quote:
- Vermont:

1. Lawmakers made it obligatory for everybody to take at least one bath each week -- on Saturday night.

This isn't a statewide law - It's the town of Barre's law. According to this website.
#17 Old 01-28-2004, 01:21 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=mikie]You are such an ass, Tame.[/QUOTE}

Shame, shame.

Quote:

This isn't a statewide law - It's the town of Barre's law. According to this website.

Correct. In fact, I am guessing most of those are local laws, just listed under the state the city/county is in.
#18 Old 01-28-2004, 01:29 PM
Veggie Regular

also from vermont:

Quote:
It is illegal to deny the existence of God.

that is not dumb,it is just ****ing scary. so we now know what the taliban ruled afghanistan and vermont have in common
#19 Old 01-28-2004, 01:39 PM
Veggie Regular

- Texas:

1. A city ordinance states that a person cannot go barefoot without first obtaining a special five-dollar permit.

I should be in jail right now
#20 Old 01-29-2004, 04:23 AM

Quote:

I think that using the attack, generalising about Euro's, that was used against you, generalising about Yanks, is a reeeaaaal good arguement....he he hehehe
#21 Old 01-29-2004, 05:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Apparently, in yorkshire, you can shoot scotsmen on sundays as long as it's with alongbow.

I'm still looking for a law in lancashire's books that makes it Ok to shoot southern folk with a bow & arrow. Unfortunately, I can't find one.
#22 Old 01-29-2004, 07:22 AM
Veggie Regular

It's illegal to play the song "Short People" on the radio in Maryland.

So?

Many of these "stupid laws" only seem stupid because of the year(s) they were created. If you look into it, most of them were during the 1800's-1900's. And many aren't even enforced..
#23 Old 01-30-2004, 04:37 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post

Apparently, in yorkshire, you can shoot scotsmen on sundays as long as it's with alongbow.

I thought that said 'sportsmen'.

Made my day for a while.
#24 Old 02-03-2004, 04:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

- New Mexico:

1. Females are strictly forbidden to appear unshaven in public.

- Ohio:

1. Women are prohibited from wearing patent leather shoes in public.

- Oklahoma:

2. Females are forbidden from doing their own hair without being licensed by the state.

- Pennsylvania:

2. No man may purchase alcohol without written consent from his wife.

These are my favorites. You don't have to worry about the leather one with me! I'm not breaking any of my state's laws in that respect.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#25 Old 02-03-2004, 04:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

- Indiana:

1. Bathing is prohibited during the winter.

2. Citizens are not allowed to attend a movie house or theater nor ride in a public streetcar within at least four hours after eating garlic.

1. I think some of my fellow busriders fear the enforcement of this one.

2. I can attest to this one not being enforced. *phew* (P.S. we don't have streetcars anymore. See 1.)
#26 Old 02-03-2004, 05:11 PM
Veggie Regular

I'd love to find out if we have any such laws in Britiain!
#27 Old 02-03-2004, 07:30 PM
Beginner

We do - I'm sure I read somewhere that before picking up a passenger, a taxi driver has to carry out a medical examination of the passenger - or something like that!
#28 Old 02-04-2004, 12:45 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veggcore View Post

I'd love to find out if we have any such laws in Britiain!

I've heard (some) cabbies in london have a mini-bale of hay in their car.

It was compulsory when cabbies still drove horse carriages. Some how the law still exists.
#29 Old 02-04-2004, 12:01 PM

Quote:

also from vermont:

that is not dumb,it is just ****ing scary. so we now know what the taliban ruled afghanistan and vermont have in common

Actually it's not scary in the least. The fact is it would be unenforceable due to a little law known as the Constitution. (Check the 'net for more information.)
#30 Old 02-05-2004, 02:33 AM
Veggie Regular

I thought the american Constitution was,for the most part, unchangeable and a set of laws???

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page