CNN Senior Editor Of Mideast Affairs Praises Hezbollah Leader, Sacked. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-09-2010, 10:58 AM
Veggie Regular

http://twitter.com/o...http://twitter.com/octavianasrCNN/status/17708145427

Quote:
Sad to hear of the passing of Sayyed Mohammad Hussein Fadlallah.. One of Hezbollah's giants I respect a lot..

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySp8kuk20Yw[/media]

* This post may contain pork, beef and fingers of undocumented workers. This post was manufactured in a facility that processes peanuts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-09-2010, 10:58 AM
Veggie Regular

CNN

FBI

CIA

weird how the new software f***ed with my thread name CNN becomes Cnn

* This post may contain pork, beef and fingers of undocumented workers. This post was manufactured in a facility that processes peanuts.
#3 Old 07-09-2010, 11:03 AM
Veggie Regular

oh the new software makes every word capitalized it appears. how pretentious.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-09-2010, 02:03 PM
Ex-*****

According to what I've heard elsewhere, his ties to Hezbollah were not all that strong, especially not in recent years. As far as I know he held no official role in the organisation.

He also had relatively liberal views on women apparently:

Quote:
Fadlallah also issued a fatwa on the International Day for the Elimination of Violence against Women that supports the right of a woman to defend herself against any act of violence whether social or physical. The fatwa reaffirms the rights of women, both at their workplace and at home, and states that Islam forbids men from exercising any form of violence against women and forbids men from depriving women of their legal rights. In his words "physical violence in which women are beaten, proves that these men are weak, for only the weak are in need of unjust violence".[34] He also issued fatwas (religious edicts) forbidding female circumcision and honour killings.[29]

(From Wikipedia.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by otomik' date='09 July 2010 - 06:58 PM' timestamp='1278698337' post='2671380 View Post

CNN

FBI

CIA

weird how the new software f***ed with my thread name CNN becomes Cnn

It's to stop you from "shouting" But it doesn't work quite right apparently, so I just turned it off.

I no longer post here after VB was sold in 2012. (See my profile page for details.)
#5 Old 07-09-2010, 02:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Seems like an overreaction by CNN.
#6 Old 07-09-2010, 02:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Seems counterproductive for a news organization that tries to appear unbiased.
#7 Old 07-09-2010, 10:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Summer' date='09 July 2010 - 05:03 PM' timestamp='1278709429' post='2671432 View Post

He also had relatively liberal views on women apparently:

yes, Hitler had many laudable social programs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Summer' date='09 July 2010 - 05:03 PM' timestamp='1278709429' post='2671432 View Post

It's to stop you from "shouting" But it doesn't work quite right apparently, so I just turned it off.

THANK YOU!

#8 Old 07-09-2010, 10:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Godwin's law. This guy doesn't seem comparable to Hitler at all. From my limited research (wikipedia ) it seems that his most objectionable opinion was his trivialization (not denial) of the holocaust. Not someone I would necessarily want to be praising because of that but overall it seems like he was a decent human being. I don't think Nasr should have lost her job over this.

don't take my life away, don't take my life away.
#9 Old 07-09-2010, 10:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Why? I don't see anything wrong with Hezbollah.

“May all sentient beings be free of pain and suffering.  May all sentient beings experience eternal joy and happiness.  gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.”
http://www.facebook.com/doktormartini
http://twitter.com/#!/MartyBaureis
http://doktormartini.tumblr.com

#10 Old 07-09-2010, 11:35 PM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doktormartini' date='10 July 2010 - 04:56 PM' timestamp='1278741411' post='2671614 View Post

They are not from the US. Anyone not from the US is a scary foreigner and needs to be shot. That seems to be the main thrust of all the anti-Middle East posts we're getting.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#11 Old 07-10-2010, 03:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doktormartini' date='10 July 2010 - 06:56 AM' timestamp='1278741411' post='2671614 View Post

Anyone who praises anyone remotely associated with an enemy of Israel is automatically an anti-semite and hates America and must be ruthlessly condemned by all unthinking self-righteous flag wavers.
#12 Old 07-10-2010, 09:09 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFalafel' date='10 July 2010 - 06:18 AM' timestamp='1278757095' post='2671663 View Post

Anyone who praises anyone remotely associated with an enemy of Israel is automatically an anti-semite and hates America and must be ruthlessly condemned by all unthinking self-righteous flag wavers.

^ This ^

I'm not a fan of Islam as you all know, but really as of late Hezbullah has really cleaned up a lot and moved more towards a moderate stance (though they still pander to extremists). Their biggest offense wasn't their beliefs, it was that they stood up against the Zionist State and defended their nation and people. Anyone who defends Palestine and decries against what can only be described as a genocide being propagated by the Zionists is considered an enemy of the US because our media and government have such a close relationship with groups like the ADL and AIPAC who have been caught red-handed multiple times spreading lies to advance both Zionist (the belief that Israel should be it's own sovereign nation) and Neoliberal (this includes the subset of Neoconservatism as well) agendas.

It's that simple. If you don't support Israel and Zionism you're a hate-mongering, Jew-hating, racist. That's what it boils down to. The thing is that not all Jew are Zionist and not all Zionists are Jews, so it really has nothing to do with antisemitism and much more to do with far more crazy agendas touted by various (often secret) organizations in Washington and abroad such as "The Family" and while there is a lot of money involved it is mainly a religious driven feud.

Also, if you don't know who "The Family" is I recommend you stop reading and do some research. The group consists of some of the most powerful people in Washington and what they believe and their mission is so absurd that if I were to discuss it here you would think it to the most crazy and unbelievable thing you have ever heard. For those of you that do know of them but don't know what they do, I advise you to get familiar with them because they are very powerful and very, very crazy.
#13 Old 07-10-2010, 09:48 AM
Veggie Regular

Faolan are you just not a fan of Islam or not a fan of religions in general?

“May all sentient beings be free of pain and suffering.  May all sentient beings experience eternal joy and happiness.  gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.”

#14 Old 07-10-2010, 10:51 AM
Veggie Regular

The sad thing is you can praise Roosevelt or Churchill all you want. Both were responsible for the deaths of hundreds of thousands of civilians, or possibly millions. We talk about free speech a lot, but it realistically does not apply to this country these days. Unfortunately I don't think it ever did.
#15 Old 07-10-2010, 01:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFalafel' date='10 July 2010 - 11:18 AM' timestamp='1278757095' post='2671663 View Post

Too f***ing right.
#16 Old 07-10-2010, 05:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doktormartini' date='10 July 2010 - 12:48 PM' timestamp='1278780532' post='2671772 View Post

I'm not a fan of crazy fanatics and moderates who stand in silence which amounts to them becoming their enablers. This doesn't extend to just religion. I can't stand most people who declare themselves "liberal" or "conservative" as well. As far as religion goes, I'm not a fan of monotheism because it is more prone to extremism and is by default mutually exclusive to other views, even within the same religion since each denomination is considered pretty much heresy by the others.

I personally feel the same about Islam as I do about Christianity for a large part because nothing is being done about criminals like Pat Robertson and lunatics like Fred Phelps and Warren Jeffs.
#17 Old 07-10-2010, 06:51 PM
Veggie Regular

#18 Old 07-11-2010, 12:11 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faolan' date='10 July 2010 - 08:44 PM' timestamp='1278809092' post='2671921 View Post

I'm not a fan of crazy fanatics and moderates who stand in silence which amounts to them becoming their enablers. This doesn't extend to just religion. I can't stand most people who declare themselves "liberal" or "conservative" as well. As far as religion goes, I'm not a fan of monotheism because it is more prone to extremism and is by default mutually exclusive to other views, even within the same religion since each denomination is considered pretty much heresy by the others.

monotheism is important because it reduces confusion, people want some certainty in their religion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faolan' date='10 July 2010 - 08:44 PM' timestamp='1278809092' post='2671921 View Post

I personally feel the same about Islam as I do about Christianity for a large part because nothing is being done about criminals like Pat Robertson and lunatics like Fred Phelps and Warren Jeffs.

it's kind of a cliche, islam is just christianity but more ethnic. it's a obligatory comparison to diffuse suspicion of racism.

#19 Old 07-11-2010, 01:22 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doktormartini' date='10 July 2010 - 09:48 AM' timestamp='1278780532' post='2671772 View Post

https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/in...st__p__2669926

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faolan View Post

This is why it is my firm belief that United States should not deal with any Middle Eastern nation. Sorry, but if the the Jews (Israel) and Moslems (the rest of the Middle East) want to participate in the civil world then they should act civil. If they cannot then they should have an embargo placed on them by those nations that are free and egalitarian. That is the best way to change foreign politics is to hit them where it hurts the most: their wallets.

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#20 Old 07-11-2010, 05:18 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faolan' date='10 July 2010 - 12:09 PM' timestamp='1278778186' post='2671749 View Post

^ Zionist (the belief that Israel should be it's own sovereign nation)as.

A clarification please.

From your statement and the tone of the post am I correct in assuming that you are in favor of the Palestinians having their own sovereign nation, but are against Israel existing as a sovereign nation?

Also, why does putting on a "moderate face" make an organization better, if behind the face, they are still the same?

Happiness is not the result of a mathematical equation comparing the good times and bad times someone has had. It is a state of mind.
-nomad888
#21 Old 07-11-2010, 10:57 AM
Veggie Regular

Wait, did they fire her or give her a promotion? We're talking CNN here, right?

--
The Twilight Is My Robe
#22 Old 07-12-2010, 03:37 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beancounter' date='11 July 2010 - 08:18 AM' timestamp='1278850713' post='2672083 View Post

A clarification please.

From your statement and the tone of the post am I correct in assuming that you are in favor of the Palestinians having their own sovereign nation, but are against Israel existing as a sovereign nation?

Israel has only existed as a nation since 1949 when the Great Brittan led the charge at the UN to restore "the homeland of the Jews" which has not existed since 79 AD when Nero invaded Judea and destroyed the area because the Jews would not add the Emperor of Rome to their pantheon of Gods (since they were Monotheistic, obviously). The Jews also refused to pay the Empire various taxes of sort. Not saying it was right, but the history behind it is ancient. Since then the decedents of the Canaanites remained and resettled there and called themselves the "Palestinians".

They had been there for almost 2000 before the UN acted to removed them from part of their homeland and establish a few Jewish city-states. Over time and through several very violent confrontations -- all of which violated the original treaties -- Israel spread from a few cities to dominating the region leaving only the West Bank and what can only be called the concentration camp of Gaza.

Not only were Palestinians thrown off land they had subsisted off of for generations, but they were also discriminated against both by the law and by some of the most bigoted people you could ever imagine (yes, the many of the Zionist sects in Israel are very, very bigoted and racism in Israel is rampant). The government has also used Palestinians in unnecessary, often lethal medical experiments along with dark skinned Jews and the Israeli government admits that it has developed biological weapons tailored to attack based on genetic markers common to the Palestinian populace, despite the fact there is an estimated 30% overlay if these are ever used.

Don't get me wrong, I would like to see a solution where the Palestinians and Jews can get along and I do think it can happen, however, it will not happen as long as an attitude of ethnic supremacy exists. The ironic thing is that the nation of Palestine that was systematically destroyed starting in 1949 was very tolerant towards Jews and Christians did let them worship freely. It was perhaps one of the most liberal Middle Eastern nation even compared to the modern nations that now exist there. However, the British and the UN felt that a nation of equals was not enough to pay in reparation and instead they created a monster.

Quote:
Also, why does putting on a "moderate face" make an organization better, if behind the face, they are still the same?

It doesn't, but sometimes we have to take one step back to take two steps forward. The hope is that eventually the extremists will stop being the driving force behind a movement and the more liberal (in classical terms) will gain ground. That is often not the case, but it is not unheard of.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page