Helen Thomas ends her career with inflammatory anti-zionist remarks - Page 4 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#91 Old 06-10-2010, 03:24 PM
Veggie Regular

I think it's ridiculous to suggest that jewish israelis should return to Europe at this point. Perhaps the creation of israel was a bad idea in the first place, certainly it could have been done with more sensitivity and respect for the people already living there, but at this point we can't ask people who have been there for a couple of generations to pick up and leave. We can and should ask them to remove all settlements from the west bank and gaza, to stop subjecting the palestinians to check points and blockades, to stop demolishing palestinian homes, to start treating the palestinians as equals, and to allow the palestinians to form their own government with east jerusalem as its capital. We also should ask the palestinians to accept that israel isn't going to disappear at this point and to stop their violence towards israel. Both sides are in the wrong here. I tend to be more sympathetic towards the palestinians since they're the occupied people but it's wrong to suggest that the israelis should pick up and leave after half a century.

don't take my life away, don't take my life away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#92 Old 06-10-2010, 03:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by das_nut View Post

To state that the Swastika came from the Indian Subcontinent is like saying that the cross symbol must have came from Palestine.

I was trying to say something more like the Iron Cross is based on the symbol from Palestine, not all the other crosses that appear through history, but we split hairs and now I forget what your original point was. Sorry to derail...
#93 Old 06-10-2010, 03:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlp View Post

It makes me incredibly depressed to see people advocating that Jewish Israelis should return to the land of their ancestors (however that might even be determined), and for that to be considered an acceptable viewpoint.

I would recommend that the west bank settlements be dismantled and the Israelis leave.

I think that's an acceptable viewpoint.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#94 Old 06-10-2010, 04:05 PM
mlp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by das_nut View Post

I would recommend that the west bank settlements be dismantled and the Israelis leave.

I think that's an acceptable viewpoint.

Leave the West Bank or leave Israel?
#95 Old 06-10-2010, 04:07 PM
Veggie Regular

I'd assume he meant the west bank.

"Hell exists not to punish sinners, but to ensure that nobody sins in the first place."
#96 Old 06-10-2010, 04:14 PM
Veggie Regular

We seem to have a discussion like this one every month or so. My father is in favor of her statement but I haven't yet seen the entire video.
#97 Old 06-10-2010, 04:22 PM
mlp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envy View Post

I'd assume he meant the west bank.

That is my assumption also, but it doesn't hurt to clarify.
#98 Old 06-10-2010, 04:49 PM
Veggie Regular

The real issue is not that Israelis should have to leave the land now called Israel, but that Palestinians who were ethnically cleansed by the forcible eviction from their homes should be allowed to return.

More specifically, if an Israeli is living in a house in what is now called Israel, and that house was taken at gunpoint from a family now living in a tent in Jordan, the Israeli shouldn't have to move to Europe or America or Russia, they should be able to stay in Israel/Palestine, but they should have to give the house back.

One of the sayings of the Palestinian resistance is that Palestinians wont become the Native Americans. This is not centuries old history, its living history.
#99 Old 06-10-2010, 04:55 PM
mlp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by suchgreatheight View Post

One of the sayings of the Palestinian resistance is that Palestinians wont become the Native Americans. This is not centuries old history, its living history.

Ummm...you apparently don't realize it, but our history with Native Americans is also not "centuries old", as in centuries in the past - we were still relocating Native Americans, against their will, in the 1970's.
#100 Old 06-10-2010, 06:15 PM
Veggie Regular

West bank.

I also think that East Jerusalem's status should be an open question, but as Israel has defacto separated it from the West Bank and annexed it, it's probably water under the bridge.
#101 Old 06-10-2010, 11:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellye View Post

Fear of past historical conflicts doesn't make any sense either, since, as historical situations, they no longer exist.

people are much the same and still exist.

* This post may contain pork, beef and fingers of undocumented workers. This post was manufactured in a facility that processes peanuts.
#102 Old 06-11-2010, 08:11 AM
Veggie Regular

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/10/op...l?pagewanted=1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Israel Without Clichés by Tony Judt View Post

THE Israeli raid on the Free Gaza flotilla has generated an outpouring of clichés from the usual suspects. It is almost impossible to discuss the Middle East without resorting to tired accusations and ritual defenses: perhaps a little house cleaning is in order.

* This post may contain pork, beef and fingers of undocumented workers. This post was manufactured in a facility that processes peanuts.
#103 Old 06-12-2010, 07:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycoffee' date='10 June 2010 - 09:14 PM' timestamp='1276200899' post='2655926 View Post

It was non-Jewish high school teachers, and non-Jewish program directors who made the recommendation, calm down.

I said Zionist not Jewish. Most American Zionists are Christians not Jews. Stop equating Zionists with Jewish people even to the point of putting words in others mouths.

Quote:
an English friend of mine said the one at his school had been banned as racist.

That does surprise me, but in fairness, in my experience, the leadership of some Jewish Student Societies in the UK are racist against Muslims and Arabs - but obviously I wont comment on specific incidents when I'm not sure what specifically you're referring to.
#104 Old 06-13-2010, 03:35 AM
Veggie Regular

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQcQdWBqt14[/media]

i like the media tags in the new software

Quote:
Q: Any advice for these young people over here for starting out in the press corps?

Thomas: Go for it. You’ll never be unhappy. You’ll always keep people informed, you’ll always keep learning. The greatest thing of the profession is you’ll never stop learning.

Q: Today they are covering the Jewish Heritage Month.

Thomas: ... and meet the President.

A: Any comments on Israel? We’re asking everyone today, any comments on..

Thomas: Tell them to get the hell out of Palestine.

Q: Oooh. Any better comments?

Thomas: Remember, these people are occupied, and it’s their land. It’s not German and it’s not Poland.

Q: So where should they go, what should they do?

Thomas: They can go home.

Q: Where is home?

Thomas: Poland. Germany.

Q: So you are saying Jews should go back to Poland?

Thomas: And America and everywhere else. Why push people out who have lived their for centuries? See?

Q: Now, are you familiar with the history of that region and what took place?

Thomas: Very much. I’m of Arab background.

{It goes on for a little while with friendly banter about languages they both speak with words I can not even begin to spell.}

Q: Thank you.

Thomas: All the best to you (directed at the Jewish students). Go for it- go for journalism, you’ll never regret it.

to recap it appears there is a holocaust shocker interpretation to this statement (go back to germany and poland via the time machine) and another interpretation that she just made a very bizarre and unnecessarily broad statement about moving out of the occupied west bank (move down the street to pre-1967 Israel or to Japan or to the Moon or the planet Pandora or where ever). she acknowledges her statement was bigoted. i don't think she believes it was the occupied west bank meaning or the holocaust meaning (but she probably doesn't like how it sounded).

#105 Old 06-13-2010, 05:19 AM
Banned

All of this trouble and strife in this region would end if Israel simply granted full citizenship to all Palestinians. Take down the ridiculous wall imprisoning people in Gaza and let Palestinians live together with Israelis and work out their differences in the Knesset. Palestinians could elect their own political representatives to the political structure.

Just as white South Africa made all kinds of excuses for denying blacks the vote in the last days of apartheid, Israel is floundering in their last days of apartheid. Just let all the people, no matter what race or religion, have a vote and the trouble begins to stop.

It really is as simple as that.
#106 Old 06-13-2010, 12:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFalafel' date='13 June 2010 - 08:19 AM' timestamp='1276431567' post='2657240 View Post

All of this trouble and strife in this region would end if Israel simply granted full citizenship to all Palestinians. Take down the ridiculous wall imprisoning people in Gaza and let Palestinians live together with Israelis and work out their differences in the Knesset. Palestinians could elect their own political representatives to the political structure.

Just as white South Africa made all kinds of excuses for denying blacks the vote in the last days of apartheid, Israel is floundering in their last days of apartheid. Just let all the people, no matter what race or religion, have a vote and the trouble begins to stop.

It really is as simple as that.

I agree, rather than a two state solution Israel should annex Gaza and the West Bank outright - but on the basis that all Palestinians, those living not only in Gaza and the West Bank but everyone they expelled from their homeland including those in refugee camps in Jordan and Lebanon, should be granted citizenship.

But they should be given equal citizenship, not the second class apartheid citizenship that Israeli Arabs have now, where the Jewish Agency owns almost all the land and leases it out to Jewish people but not to Arab citizens of Israel. They would have to abolish all forms of racism and theocracy, such as the Jewish Agency, religious based marriages that prevent intermarriage, and unequal immigration rights for Jewish people and Arabs and others.

But this solution to the conflict, an Israel/Palestine without racism, with democracy instead of the current caste system, would be unacceptable to most supports of Israel, because it would mean that Israel could no longer be a state based on Jewish legal superiority and racism. The loss of special privileges and discrimination would mean to them, the "destruction of the Jewish state", which is actually worse to many than killing real people, especially if those people are Palestinian.
#107 Old 06-13-2010, 01:09 PM
Veggie Regular

i think you have some misunderstanding. there are many arabs residing in israel that reject citizenship.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page