Who do want to be the next British Prime Minister? - Page 3 - VeggieBoards
View Poll Results: Who do you want to be the next British Prime Minister?
Nicholas Clegg (Liberal Democrat) 0 0%
David Cameron (Conservative) 0 0%
Gordon Brown (Labour) 0 0%
Barack Obama (write-in) 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#61 Old 05-09-2010, 10:45 PM
Red
Veggie Regular
 
Red's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 4,765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andromache View Post

Yes but only when the politicians have decided who it's going to be. The Queen doesn't have any real powers, they're all ceremonial.



That's the point. If you have a hung parliament (like you do now) and the parties can't form a coalition, then yes, right now, the Queen will decide.
Red is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#62 Old 05-10-2010, 12:03 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Andromache's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 953
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post

That's the point. If you have a hung parliament (like you do now) and the parties can't form a coalition, then yes, right now, the Queen will decide.



To quote the original article again:

Quote:
If the outcome of that election is inconclusive, it is for the political parties to determine who that person is, and to communicate that choice to Buckingham Palace.



Only then will the Queen receive any outgoing prime minister to accept a resignation and, a short time later, to invite someone else to take the role.

Andromache is offline  
#63 Old 05-10-2010, 10:10 PM
Red
Veggie Regular
 
Red's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 4,765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andromache View Post

To quote the original article again:

Quote:
If the outcome of that election is inconclusive, it is for the political parties to determine who that person is, and to communicate that choice to Buckingham Palace.



Only then will the Queen receive any outgoing prime minister to accept a resignation and, a short time later, to invite someone else to take the role.



But you keep skipping over the relevant quotes:



Quote:
But what happens if the politicians simply cannot decide who has the strongest claim to become prime minister?



That is when we would enter difficult territory.

Red is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#64 Old 05-11-2010, 01:51 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 7,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post

That's the point. If you have a hung parliament (like you do now) and the parties can't form a coalition, then yes, right now, the Queen will decide.



No, the Queen doesn't have any power. She is told what to say by Parliament. Parliament will determine the next government and communicate this to the Queen who will then do the ceremony whereby she 'accepts' the new government. Again, she has no real power, its all ceremony.
MrFalafel is offline  
#65 Old 05-11-2010, 02:29 AM
...
 
Blobbenstein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: UK
Posts: 3,936
yes, if the queen made any such important decision, people would lose even more faith in the system. It would also undermine the queens position as an impartial part of the process. So she wouldn't want to do that.

Blobbenstein is offline  
#66 Old 05-11-2010, 02:32 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 7,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blobbenstein View Post

yes, if the queen made any such important decision, people would lose even more faith in the system. It would also undermine the queens position as an impartial part of the process. So she wouldn't want to do that.



She can think whatever she likes but she does not have the legal authority to determine the next government.
MrFalafel is offline  
#67 Old 05-11-2010, 08:37 PM
Veggie Regular
 
das_nut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 8,130
So basically, English monarchy is a state-supported gossip show?



But what about the swans?
das_nut is offline  
#68 Old 05-11-2010, 08:49 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Nishani's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 7,577
Quote:
Originally Posted by das_nut View Post




But what about the swans?



They started the weekend atop the AFL ladder, but are now outside the top four after losing their second game of the season.

m8itcanw8.com
Nishani is offline  
#69 Old 05-11-2010, 09:08 PM
American Made, Rebel Born
 
Kenickie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: House of Gaunt
Posts: 6,473
i was talking to yally all evening about this, and i'm a little excited for them, the UK i mean, it seems really exciting. but we both seem worried that no one will really get it and it will fall through. but still excited.



despite the fact that david cameron IS totally rapist used car salesman scary looking.

cry havoc! and let slip the dogs of war.
Kenickie is offline  
#70 Old 05-11-2010, 10:03 PM
Newbie
 
GhostUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 0
if i hadve been living there i woulda still voted labor despite their leader being clueless cuz leaders can be given the boot. id never ever vote right wing or centre.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixelle View Post

They started the weekend atop the AFL ladder, but are now outside the top four after losing their second game of the season.



GhostUser is offline  
#71 Old 05-11-2010, 10:12 PM
Newbie
 
GhostUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 0
I'm very depressed about the outcome.
GhostUser is offline  
#72 Old 05-11-2010, 11:51 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,056
i think cameron's family tree can be traced back to common ancestry with g.w. bush. get ready for some really bright leadership .
papayamon is offline  
#73 Old 05-12-2010, 12:14 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 7,981
I have a friend that is a staunch tory and he's despondent about having Diamond Dave in Number 10. He thinks there will be a party coup and Dave will be tossed out as leader of the party in a year and new elections will be called just before the austerity measures implemented are felt by the population. Interesting times.
MrFalafel is offline  
#74 Old 05-12-2010, 01:43 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFalafel View Post

I have a friend that is a staunch tory and he's despondent about having Diamond Dave in Number 10. He thinks there will be a party coup and Dave will be tossed out as leader of the party in a year and new elections will be called just before the austerity measures implemented are felt by the population. Interesting times.



interesting times all around the world, it seems. austerity isn't too popular with the masses.
papayamon is offline  
#75 Old 05-12-2010, 02:19 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,160
Clegg is the real winner of this election. He came from a party with less than a quarter of seats, which was a bit of a joke and nobody thought had any sort of chance, to Deputy Prime Minister. All within the space of about a month. He's a clever man.
Earthling is offline  
#76 Old 05-12-2010, 02:23 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 7,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthling View Post

Clegg is the real winner of this election. He came from a party with less than a quarter of seats, which was a bit of a joke and nobody thought had any sort of chance, to Deputy Prime Minister. All within the space of about a month. He's a clever man.



Time will tell. Most people voted Lib Dems in order to keep the Tories out of power and now we have Lib Dems getting into bed with Tories.
MrFalafel is offline  
#77 Old 05-12-2010, 11:23 AM
Veggie Regular
 
FatFreddysCat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenickie View Post




despite the fact that david cameron IS totally rapist used car salesman scary looking.

FatFreddysCat is offline  
#78 Old 05-12-2010, 11:30 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Nishani's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 7,577
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFalafel View Post

Time will tell. Most people voted Lib Dems in order to keep the Tories out of power and now we have Lib Dems getting into bed with Tories.



I can't believe they went with them.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast View Post

I'm very depressed about the outcome.



I don't blame you.

m8itcanw8.com
Nishani is offline  
#79 Old 05-12-2010, 11:40 AM
mlp
Banned
 
mlp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 8,995
Quote:
Originally Posted by papayamon View Post

interesting times all around the world, it seems. austerity isn't too popular with the masses.



Yup.
mlp is offline  
#80 Old 05-12-2010, 11:56 AM
Newbie
 
GhostUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 0
David Cameron and Nick Clegg were practically getting off with each other at the public talk today. It was pretty disturbing.
GhostUser is offline  
#81 Old 05-12-2010, 08:01 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,803
Urgh.... Cannot believe Mr long-legged cleggy weggy sold out . (No, I will not use any other name for him. I love Russell Howard too much ). Kudos to him for doing it though, now he's deputy PM.
Annia is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off