More Than 53% of Your US Tax Payment Goes to the Military - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-13-2010, 10:18 AM
Banned

Something to think about on April 15th.

The budget for the 2011 fiscal year, which has to be voted by Congress by this Oct. 1, looks to be about $3 trillion, not counting the funds collected for Social Security (since the Vietnam War, the government has included the Social Security Trust Fund in the budget as a way to make the cost of America's imperial military adventures seem smaller in comparison to the total cost of government). Meanwhile, the military share of the budget works out to about $1.6 trillion.

That figure includes the Pentagon budget request of $708 billion, plus an estimated $200 billion in supplemental funding, called "overseas contingency funding" in euphemistic White House-speak), to fund the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, some $40 billion or more in "black box" intelligence agency funding, $94 billion in non-DOD military spending, $100 billion in veterans benefits and health care spending, and $400 billion in interest on debt raised to pay for prior wars and the standing military.

The 2011 military budget, by the way, is the largest in history, not just in actual dollars, but in inflation adjusted dollars, exceeding even the spending in World War II, when the nation was on an all-out military footing.

Military spending in all its myriad forms works out to represent 53.3% of total US federal spending.

It's also a budget that is rising at a faster pace than any other part of the budget (with the possible exception of bailing out crooked Wall Street financial firms and their managers). For the past decade, and continuing under the present administration, military budgets have been rising at a 9% annual clip, making health care inflation look tiny by comparison.

Lots more here: http://www.opednews.com/articles/Tho...00412-561.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-13-2010, 11:29 AM
Veggie Regular

Personally I have no problem with cutting our budget in regards to military spending for the defense of Western Europe, it's about time they defended themselves again.

I also have no problem with cutting off most of our funding to the UN.
#3 Old 04-13-2010, 11:41 AM
Impeach the gangster

Pure insanity. I've thought so for decades. The US government is doing just what the British did: reducing us to bankruptcy with delusions of grandeur. What waste....

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-13-2010, 12:53 PM
Veggie Regular

a bit more balanced view here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Militar..._United_States

* This post may contain pork, beef and fingers of undocumented workers. This post was manufactured in a facility that processes peanuts.
#5 Old 04-13-2010, 01:07 PM
Veggie Regular

woot woot!

The Big Bad.
#6 Old 04-13-2010, 01:16 PM
Veggie Regular

And a significant percentage of my already-taxed income goes to parts of the US Military too. Directly to service members, though, not through the government.
#7 Old 04-13-2010, 01:17 PM
Impeach the gangster

Oh. Wikipedia. Well, as long as we're getting accurate info.... And such bright colors! All must be well....

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
#8 Old 04-13-2010, 02:46 PM
Veggie Regular

How sicking.
#9 Old 04-13-2010, 02:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFalafel View Post

The 2011 military budget, by the way, is the largest in history, not just in actual dollars, but in inflation adjusted dollars, exceeding even the spending in World War II, when the nation was on an all-out military footing.

I'm assuming they're referring to US history rather than world history, correct?
#10 Old 04-13-2010, 02:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Personally I have no problem with cutting our budget in regards to military spending for the defense of Western Europe, it's about time they defended themselves again.

This. I'm one of those "pull everybody home and defend the freaking homeland" American isolationists though. Why the hell does America want to be Chief World Police anyway? It's a thankless job, and an obscenely small amount of people actually benefit from it - everybody else gets ****ed.
#11 Old 04-13-2010, 03:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by havocjohn View Post

What have we done to defend Western Europe? Who are they defending themselves against?
#12 Old 04-13-2010, 04:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainforests1 View Post

What have we done to defend Western Europe? Who are they defending themselves against?

That's a good question but don't expect a logical response from havocjohn. This guy constantly makes outrageous claims and never back them up with any facts. This shouldn't ba a surprise as he admitted in another thread that he's a teabagger.
#13 Old 04-13-2010, 05:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hortofagos View Post

That's a good question but don't expect a logical response from havocjohn. This guy constantly makes outrageous claims and never back them up with any facts. This shouldn't ba a surprise as he admitted in another thread that he's a teabagger.

I think, correct me if I am wrong HJ, that he is referring to our presence in the form of military bases. I am sure that the European countries want us out anyway. Everyone wins.
#14 Old 04-13-2010, 05:06 PM
Veggie Regular

On a related note:

#15 Old 04-13-2010, 05:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capstan View Post

Oh. Wikipedia. Well, as long as we're getting accurate info.... And such bright colors! All must be well....

Well, the OP quoted an oped piece, not an original source.
#16 Old 04-13-2010, 05:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Oh please. The US can't even stick to a story about who it's defending itself against.

Keep on freepin' on

#17 Old 04-13-2010, 05:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

What haven't we done to defend western europe? we joined ww1, we then joined ww2 and fought Germany before fighting the Japanese the country that actually attacked us. We rebuilt europe after ww2, we then maintained the peace in western europe and kept the soviets from invading.

We stepped into the Indochina War for France because they couldn't fight their own war to keep their colony, you might know it better as the Vietnam War, our involvement in the middle east and Africa is a result of our helping our western european cousins manage their former colonies.

During the Iraq Iran war we ensured western europes oil would keep flowing throught the Straits of Hurmoz, we provide the majority of Peace Keeping forces during the Yogoslavian Civil War and through our very presence in the region we continue to protect them from each other..... historically speaking prior to our perment presence in Western Europe they had a major war aprox every 20 yrs or so, if we were not there we more than likely would have seen at least 2 probably 3 major wars over the last 70 yrs.
#18 Old 04-13-2010, 05:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotfoots View Post

That's a good question but don't expect a logical response from havocjohn. This guy constantly makes outrageous claims and never back them up with any facts. This shouldn't ba surprise as he admitted in another thread that he's a teabagger.

really you mean like the claims that Africa is a country that you tried to spout earlier?

Please elaborate on these outrages claims I make and never back up.
#19 Old 04-13-2010, 06:21 PM
Impeach the gangster

Quote:
Originally Posted by julz View Post

Well, the OP quoted an oped piece, not an original source.

23%? Is that a joke? No source on earth will convince me only 1/4 of our expenditures are for the military. Anyone who believes that is naive. Besides, it isn't the numbers that matter; it's the government's priorities that are royally screwed.

#20 Old 04-13-2010, 06:41 PM
Veggie Regular

I wonder what they spend it on sometimes. I recall some years back, there were articles in the news about US troops having to improvise armor for their HMMWV's because they were not given the upgrades they needed. That seemed rather sad.
#21 Old 04-13-2010, 06:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleven View Post

On a related note:

Wonder what the base pay for a soldier in the Chinese Army is?

NUMBER OF SOLDIERS \t

People's Republic of China \t7,024,000 Total per 1000 capita 5.3 \t

United States 3,385,400\t 1.1

India \t 3,862,300 3.3
#22 Old 04-13-2010, 06:55 PM
Banned

The scope of our technology and equipment saves soldiers lives, so what's the worth of a volunteer soldiers life.
#23 Old 04-13-2010, 07:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I'm assuming they're referring to US history rather than world history, correct?

Probably world history.

We're rich, if you haven't noticed. Consider this (and think about it): Would you rather be a wealthy Roman senator or a poor person in the current US? The poor in the US are unlikely to starve, will probably have central heat in the winter, access to healthcare (even if it's only in the ER under a fake name), and many other benefits.

Even compared to 50 years ago, the average American is much more wealthy. Look at how much crap we collect.

With inflation adjusted dollars, in WWII, we were earning about half of what we do today, on average.

And our wars were cheaper. Dumb bombs are cheap. Smart bombs aren't. Now, if we just went back to indiscriminately carpet bombing cities, we'd probably make things a lot cheaper, and heck, we'd probably win the war (if for no other reason than that sooner or later, the other side is going to run out of people to fight), but obviously the abuse of human rights makes that abhorrent.

So when you combine America being a wealthy country, the largest economy ever in history, and the fact that we're more or less providing defense for around half the globe, yes, our military spending approaches high levels.
#24 Old 04-13-2010, 08:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

23%? Is that a joke? No source on earth will convince me only 1/4 of our expenditures are for the military. Anyone who believes that is naive.

I was merely pointing out that neither one used a scientific source. I do, however, see wikipedia used as a source a lot on this forum though. I use them from time to time to get quick information. *shrugs*

Quote:

Besides, it isn't the numbers that matter; it's the government's priorities that are royally screwed.

You get no arguement from me.
#25 Old 04-13-2010, 09:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by otomik View Post

a bit more balanced view here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Militar..._United_States

So what would the pie chart look like if all the defense related spending included in the second graph was likewise included in the pie chart Snarkmeister?
#26 Old 04-13-2010, 10:01 PM
Red
Veggie Regular

Quote:

It pretty clearly cites the OMB as the source. If you think the numbers are inaccurate or bogus, it's easy enough to check out.
#27 Old 04-14-2010, 12:06 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

that would be horrific if the US economy was stagnant since world war II. most people pay attention to military spending as a percent of GDP. some nations like japan have historically made it matter of principal to limit military spending to a certain percentage of GDP (japan's old 1 percent rule, which they haven't deviated from significantly either).

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopper View Post

So what would the pie chart look like if all the defense related spending included in the second graph was likewise included in the pie chart Snarkmeister?

i don't have the authors entire recipe for cooking the books. i don't even have a harsh rebuttal frankly but it's an overly simplistic picture that's similar to ones advanced before where one cuts out all the non-discretionary spending. anyone will tell you that the large entitlements need to be confronted and difficult choices will have to be made. more than the health insurance reform bill that was just passed. exactly how one gets to 53 percent, whatever i consider that to be bull**** to grab the headlines and i don't really consider it worth haggling over since the author admits it immediately in the article.

consider that the development of the internet was a defense project. relating something to defense in some way helps it get funding.

* This post may contain pork, beef and fingers of undocumented workers. This post was manufactured in a facility that processes peanuts.
#28 Old 04-14-2010, 02:17 AM
Banned

The sad part is not only 53% of your tax dollars going to the military, its not even a very effective fighting force. Just look at the shambles that is the Iraq invasion and the never-ending Afghanistan conflict. Afghanistan is the longest war in the USAs history and they are no closer to eliminating the Taliban than when they first invaded. Its just insult to injury that so many tax dollars are spent on an incompetent government program known as 'the military'.
#29 Old 04-14-2010, 03:56 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

its not even a very effective fighting force.

oh tell us what is the butchest fighting force in the entire world?

[youtube]ol5Dfs7jqFI[/youtube]

#30 Old 04-14-2010, 07:05 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that military spending is a good thing and that most of it is necessary (with the exception of wars of choice).

My concern is waste. We have all heard about miliatary vehicles that the Pentagon doesn't want but keep on buying because a politican wants to keep the jobs in their state.

Back in the 90's the pentagon purchased a thousands of PDA's that ended up collecting dust in a closet. I bet the "PDA" type waste is quite common and probably adds up to a substantial amount. If we could get rid of that waste, there would be a lot more money available for other programs.

Happiness is not the result of a mathematical equation comparing the good times and bad times someone has had. It is a state of mind.
-nomad888

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page