Drill, Baby, Drill! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#1 Old 03-31-2010, 06:56 AM
Veggie Regular
 
das_nut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 8,130
Obama plans to greatly expand offshore drilling. Included areas are the Gulf of Mexico, the East Coast, and Alaska's North Shore.
das_nut is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 03-31-2010, 06:57 AM
Veggie Regular
 
m4rk0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 982
What a sell out.
m4rk0 is offline  
#3 Old 03-31-2010, 07:06 AM
 
IamJen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 19,134

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
IamJen is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#4 Old 03-31-2010, 07:09 AM
Arrrg! Me mateys.
 
Puppet Master's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 5,591
Booooo!

korrakorrakorrakorrakorra
Puppet Master is offline  
#5 Old 03-31-2010, 07:22 AM
Veggie Regular
 
AddieB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,705
*sigh* I saw that this morning. What a disappointment...
AddieB is offline  
#6 Old 03-31-2010, 07:31 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Kellye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,814
I'm pissed off and disappointed, but I honestly can't say I'm surprised in the slightest - Dear Leader's done a 180 on practically every position he took BEFORE he got elected.
Kellye is offline  
#7 Old 03-31-2010, 07:51 AM
Veggie Regular
 
DaftLikeAFox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 563
Why do people dislike this?
DaftLikeAFox is offline  
#8 Old 03-31-2010, 11:22 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Doktormartini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 3,456
Because it messes up animal habitats that live in those areas

“May all sentient beings be free of pain and suffering.  May all sentient beings experience eternal joy and happiness.  gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.”
http://www.facebook.com/doktormartini
http://twitter.com/#!/MartyBaureis
http://doktormartini.tumblr.com

Doktormartini is offline  
#9 Old 03-31-2010, 11:24 AM
Veggie Regular
 
otomik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: columbus, ohio
Posts: 4,248
i like it. more nuclear plants too.

* This post may contain pork, beef and fingers of undocumented workers. This post was manufactured in a facility that processes peanuts.
otomik is offline  
#10 Old 03-31-2010, 11:28 AM
Veggie Regular
 
DaftLikeAFox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doktormartini View Post

Because it messes up animal habitats that live in those areas



Wouldn't this happen anywhere it is done? Perhaps now it will be easier to regulate and avoid damage than if the oil was purchased from other countries.
DaftLikeAFox is offline  
#11 Old 03-31-2010, 11:50 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Doktormartini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 3,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaftLikeAFox View Post

Wouldn't this happen anywhere it is done? Perhaps now it will be easier to regulate and avoid damage than if the oil was purchased from other countries.

Yes which is why we shouldn't use oil. I admit I drive a car...but if you think about it humans don't need it.

“May all sentient beings be free of pain and suffering.  May all sentient beings experience eternal joy and happiness.  gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.”
http://www.facebook.com/doktormartini
http://twitter.com/#!/MartyBaureis
http://doktormartini.tumblr.com

Doktormartini is offline  
#12 Old 03-31-2010, 11:56 AM
Veggie Regular
 
JLRodgers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 4,819
The main problem, in a sense, beyond the animal and such is this: we do not really need oil for gas as the oil would be used for (meaning, the tech exists we could phase out gas).



Every single thing we have (clothing, homes, food, pretty much literally everything) requires oil in one form or another -- if we expand to drill more, and we use it for gas, we'll be even more screwed when we start to run low. We need to phase out gas, and try to remove oil-based products from our daily lives, and then if some things cannot be done without oil, we will have many, many more years to find alternatives.



I just saw Nissan has an all-electric car that apparently goes 100 miles on a single charge. Electric cars are becoming more common. Really, they could sell solar panels to charge them (or help at the very least), making them all-but self-sustaining.





Not to mention I would bet this entire "drill for oil" is only to make the republicans love him to improve the ratings, and hopefully make people forget about the healthcare item. If the healthcare was more popular, I doubt this would have been done.
JLRodgers is offline  
#13 Old 03-31-2010, 11:59 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Jessy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 288
I disagree with his decision. Clean energy is the way to go, not ruining the Ocean.
Jessy is offline  
#14 Old 03-31-2010, 12:05 PM
Veggie Regular
 
DaftLikeAFox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doktormartini View Post

Yes which is why we shouldn't use oil. I admit I drive a car...but if you think about it humans don't need it.



I don't know if it is necessary as fuel anymore (although I prefer the idea of cars that burn hydrogen to power an electric motor over something you have to charge) but could it really be replaced in all its uses? And, more importantly to this topic, does Obama really have the power to say "we're going to stop using oil now"? I think smaller steps may be more... within reach... than some ultimate solution.
DaftLikeAFox is offline  
#15 Old 03-31-2010, 12:18 PM
 
GingerFoxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 3,340
We can put more funding into the transition to alternate, green fuel sources, but unfortunately we can't just abruptly stop using oil. We need to make a gradual shift, which means drilling in the mean time, as terrible as that is. The question is, are we transitioning, or delaying the change?
GingerFoxx is offline  
#16 Old 03-31-2010, 12:24 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Kellye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,814
Quote:
Wouldn't this happen anywhere it is done? Perhaps now it will be easier to regulate and avoid damage than if the oil was purchased from other countries.



The difference is between drilling for oil in the middle of a desert, versus drilling for oil in the middle of a pristine wildlife sanctuary (Alaska) or in coastal ecosystems which would be severely damaged by any oil spills (Gulf Coast). Unfortunately, drilling for oil in the desert usually necessitates war and civilian casualties versus wildlife casualties.



Quote:
I don't know if it is necessary as fuel anymore (although I prefer the idea of cars that burn hydrogen to power an electric motor over something you have to charge) but could it really be replaced in all its uses? And, more importantly to this topic, does Obama really have the power to say "we're going to stop using oil now"? I think smaller steps may be more... within reach... than some ultimate solution.



There are TONS of alternative energy fuel sources out there - hydro, wind, biofuels, solar, geothermal, biomass, and hydrogen (among others).



To make it even more feasible to convert to an entirely renewable source of energy, we simply need to use less energy as a species.



We may not be able to quit using oil cold turkey, but we aren't taking enough steps towards eliminating its use in the future; I blame this mainly on the lobby influence the oil companies have in Washington.
Kellye is offline  
#17 Old 03-31-2010, 01:18 PM
Veggie Regular
 
DaftLikeAFox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellye View Post

The difference is between drilling for oil in the middle of a desert, versus drilling for oil in the middle of a pristine wildlife sanctuary (Alaska) or in coastal ecosystems which would be severely damaged by any oil spills (Gulf Coast). Unfortunately, drilling for oil in the desert usually necessitates war and civilian casualties versus wildlife casualties.



Deserts are quite unfortunate in that their ecosystem is not as noticeable to humans.







Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellye View Post

There are TONS of alternative energy fuel sources out there - hydro, wind, biofuels, solar, geothermal, biomass, and hydrogen (among others).



To make it even more feasible to convert to an entirely renewable source of energy, we simply need to use less energy as a species.



We may not be able to quit using oil cold turkey, but we aren't taking enough steps towards eliminating its use in the future; I blame this mainly on the lobby influence the oil companies have in Washington.



I was under the impression we use oil for many things besides energy...?
DaftLikeAFox is offline  
#18 Old 03-31-2010, 01:58 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Kellye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,814
Quote:
Deserts are quite unfortunate in that their ecosystem is not as noticeable to humans.



It's true.



Quote:
I was under the impression we use oil for many things besides energy...?



We do, but not because we can't use other materials in those things; it's because using petroleum in those things makes a small group of powerful people very, very rich.
Kellye is offline  
#19 Old 03-31-2010, 05:14 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 80
Obama hasn't stop lying. No oil will be drilled, it will get locked up in the courts. He's playing the wolf in sheepskin clothing on this one.
Ivegan is offline  
#20 Old 03-31-2010, 06:27 PM
American Made, Rebel Born
 
Kenickie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: House of Gaunt
Posts: 6,473
what more harm can be done to gulf coast? Thought jp morgan chase destroyed everything already.

cry havoc! and let slip the dogs of war.
Kenickie is offline  
#21 Old 03-31-2010, 06:31 PM
Veggie Regular
 
das_nut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 8,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by otomik View Post

i like it. more nuclear plants too.



I'd rather see more nuke plants, and keep our offshore reserves for possible future use.



If Obama wants to throw a bone to the oil lobby, he could have proposed an experimental nuclear/oil shale plant. Not only would it give us working experience for exploiting the oil shale out west, but perhaps some of the technology would spill over to Canada and change the current, horribly inefficient way that tar sands are being exploited.
das_nut is offline  
#22 Old 03-31-2010, 11:15 PM
Veggie Regular
 
otomik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: columbus, ohio
Posts: 4,248
Quote:
Originally Posted by das_nut View Post

Not only would it give us working experience for exploiting the oil shale out west, but perhaps some of the technology would spill over to Canada and change the current, horribly inefficient way that tar sands are being exploited.

yeah we should invade Canada and use their resources more responsibly.

* This post may contain pork, beef and fingers of undocumented workers. This post was manufactured in a facility that processes peanuts.
otomik is offline  
#23 Old 03-31-2010, 11:26 PM
Veggie Regular
 
JLRodgers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 4,819
Quote:
Originally Posted by otomik View Post

yeah we should invade Canada and use their resources more responsibly.



Even though I'm in the USA -- I've felt the desire to invade the USA to use the resources more responsibly.
JLRodgers is offline  
#24 Old 03-31-2010, 11:51 PM
Red
Veggie Regular
 
Red's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 4,765
Quote:
Originally Posted by otomik View Post

yeah we should invade Canada and use their resources more responsibly.



We should just mandate it.
Red is offline  
#25 Old 04-01-2010, 03:22 AM
 
GingerFoxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 3,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by otomik View Post

yeah we should invade Canada and use their resources more responsibly.



I am reminded of an old Jon Stewart stand-up routine. He was in an airport when a Canadian approached him, saying, "Tell me, what do Americans REALLY think of Canada?" to which he replied "...We don't.... In fact, unless we run out of natural resources, you guys are safe. But when THAT day comes.... *knock knock* Umm... we're out of wood. I don't know how to say this but.... get out."



Incidentally, I was living in Canada the first time I heard this.
GingerFoxx is offline  
#26 Old 04-01-2010, 04:44 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Kellye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,814
Quote:
He was in an airport when a Canadian approached him, saying, "Tell me, what do Americans REALLY think of Canada?" to which he replied "...We don't.... In fact, unless we run out of natural resources, you guys are safe. But when THAT day comes.... *knock knock* Umm... we're out of wood. I don't know how to say this but.... get out."



LMAO. That's classic.
Kellye is offline  
#27 Old 04-01-2010, 05:23 AM
Veggie Regular
 
nomad888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Quebec and Vermont
Posts: 1,693
Do a quick search on products that use petrochemicals. Or if you want a much shorter list, search for products that don't. It's just about everything you use and even eat, not to mention nearly everything relating to modern medicine, from equipment that utilizes plastics to pharmaceuticals).



If you want to force change, here's what you can do:



1: Get rid of you computer and everything that has a microchip.

2: Get rid of everything that contains plastic parts.

3: Get rid of anything that uses synthetic rubber.

4: Don't eat anything that uses petro based pesticides.

5: Avoid nearly all types of medical care.



When enough of us are homeless, without shoes, eating only what we can find growing in trees, and getting sick from things that would otherwise be easily cured, we can feel good knowing we've done our part to weaken the petro industry and force them to change to one of the various available alternatives :P



But those alternatives require drastic changes to the infrastructure on which the entire world has become dependent. What industry is going to go through so much trouble to switch to an alternative when the masses still support the system that is already in place? We can claim to disapprove of it, but the lifestyle we lead is what casts the vote, not the words we speak. Most people won't even allow themselves the inconvenience of living without meat or even more trivial things like palm oil in order to protect the environment. Good luck convincing them to abandon petrochemicals, which are for now a necessity.



I think the best we can hope for is that the world supply of oil runs out quickly, because change isn't happening until the system we've got already is no longer economically viable.

"I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine." Bruce Lee.

"On a large enough time line, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero." Chuck Palahniuk (Fight Club)

nomad888 is offline  
#28 Old 04-01-2010, 11:52 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Marie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 10,153
Dancing barefeet through a dream..

Looks like the best thing you've ever seen..
Marie is offline  
#29 Old 04-01-2010, 12:10 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Kellye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,814
Let's just abandon Western civilization and call it good. It was a good idea while it lasted.
Kellye is offline  
#30 Old 04-01-2010, 12:18 PM
Veggie Regular
 
sosoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 637
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad888 View Post

Do a quick search on products that use petrochemicals. Or if you want a much shorter list, search for products that don't. It's just about everything you use and even eat, not to mention nearly everything relating to modern medicine, from equipment that utilizes plastics to pharmaceuticals).

...

Of course, the good news is that petroleum is made by compressing and heating plant matter, so we are saved!

Well, we are saved once we have a clean and abundant energy source. Hopefully efficient solar or fusion will be here soon.
sosoy is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off