Drill, Baby, Drill! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-31-2010, 06:56 AM
Veggie Regular

Obama plans to greatly expand offshore drilling. Included areas are the Gulf of Mexico, the East Coast, and Alaska's North Shore.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-31-2010, 06:57 AM
Veggie Regular

What a sell out.
#3 Old 03-31-2010, 07:06 AM

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-31-2010, 07:09 AM
Arrrg! Me mateys.

Booooo!

korrakorrakorrakorrakorra
#5 Old 03-31-2010, 07:22 AM
Veggie Regular

*sigh* I saw that this morning. What a disappointment...
#6 Old 03-31-2010, 07:31 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm pissed off and disappointed, but I honestly can't say I'm surprised in the slightest - Dear Leader's done a 180 on practically every position he took BEFORE he got elected.
#7 Old 03-31-2010, 07:51 AM
Veggie Regular

Why do people dislike this?
#8 Old 03-31-2010, 11:22 AM
Veggie Regular

Because it messes up animal habitats that live in those areas

“May all sentient beings be free of pain and suffering.  May all sentient beings experience eternal joy and happiness.  gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.”
http://www.facebook.com/doktormartini
http://twitter.com/#!/MartyBaureis
http://doktormartini.tumblr.com

#9 Old 03-31-2010, 11:24 AM
Veggie Regular

i like it. more nuclear plants too.

* This post may contain pork, beef and fingers of undocumented workers. This post was manufactured in a facility that processes peanuts.
#10 Old 03-31-2010, 11:28 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doktormartini View Post

Because it messes up animal habitats that live in those areas

Wouldn't this happen anywhere it is done? Perhaps now it will be easier to regulate and avoid damage than if the oil was purchased from other countries.
#11 Old 03-31-2010, 11:50 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaftLikeAFox View Post

Wouldn't this happen anywhere it is done? Perhaps now it will be easier to regulate and avoid damage than if the oil was purchased from other countries.

Yes which is why we shouldn't use oil. I admit I drive a car...but if you think about it humans don't need it.

“May all sentient beings be free of pain and suffering.  May all sentient beings experience eternal joy and happiness.  gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.”
http://www.facebook.com/doktormartini
http://twitter.com/#!/MartyBaureis
http://doktormartini.tumblr.com

#12 Old 03-31-2010, 11:56 AM
Veggie Regular

The main problem, in a sense, beyond the animal and such is this: we do not really need oil for gas as the oil would be used for (meaning, the tech exists we could phase out gas).

Every single thing we have (clothing, homes, food, pretty much literally everything) requires oil in one form or another -- if we expand to drill more, and we use it for gas, we'll be even more screwed when we start to run low. We need to phase out gas, and try to remove oil-based products from our daily lives, and then if some things cannot be done without oil, we will have many, many more years to find alternatives.

I just saw Nissan has an all-electric car that apparently goes 100 miles on a single charge. Electric cars are becoming more common. Really, they could sell solar panels to charge them (or help at the very least), making them all-but self-sustaining.

Not to mention I would bet this entire "drill for oil" is only to make the republicans love him to improve the ratings, and hopefully make people forget about the healthcare item. If the healthcare was more popular, I doubt this would have been done.
#13 Old 03-31-2010, 11:59 AM
Veggie Regular

I disagree with his decision. Clean energy is the way to go, not ruining the Ocean.
#14 Old 03-31-2010, 12:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doktormartini View Post

Yes which is why we shouldn't use oil. I admit I drive a car...but if you think about it humans don't need it.

I don't know if it is necessary as fuel anymore (although I prefer the idea of cars that burn hydrogen to power an electric motor over something you have to charge) but could it really be replaced in all its uses? And, more importantly to this topic, does Obama really have the power to say "we're going to stop using oil now"? I think smaller steps may be more... within reach... than some ultimate solution.
#15 Old 03-31-2010, 12:18 PM

We can put more funding into the transition to alternate, green fuel sources, but unfortunately we can't just abruptly stop using oil. We need to make a gradual shift, which means drilling in the mean time, as terrible as that is. The question is, are we transitioning, or delaying the change?
#16 Old 03-31-2010, 12:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

The difference is between drilling for oil in the middle of a desert, versus drilling for oil in the middle of a pristine wildlife sanctuary (Alaska) or in coastal ecosystems which would be severely damaged by any oil spills (Gulf Coast). Unfortunately, drilling for oil in the desert usually necessitates war and civilian casualties versus wildlife casualties.

Quote:
I don't know if it is necessary as fuel anymore (although I prefer the idea of cars that burn hydrogen to power an electric motor over something you have to charge) but could it really be replaced in all its uses? And, more importantly to this topic, does Obama really have the power to say "we're going to stop using oil now"? I think smaller steps may be more... within reach... than some ultimate solution.

There are TONS of alternative energy fuel sources out there - hydro, wind, biofuels, solar, geothermal, biomass, and hydrogen (among others).

To make it even more feasible to convert to an entirely renewable source of energy, we simply need to use less energy as a species.

We may not be able to quit using oil cold turkey, but we aren't taking enough steps towards eliminating its use in the future; I blame this mainly on the lobby influence the oil companies have in Washington.
#17 Old 03-31-2010, 01:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellye View Post

The difference is between drilling for oil in the middle of a desert, versus drilling for oil in the middle of a pristine wildlife sanctuary (Alaska) or in coastal ecosystems which would be severely damaged by any oil spills (Gulf Coast). Unfortunately, drilling for oil in the desert usually necessitates war and civilian casualties versus wildlife casualties.

Deserts are quite unfortunate in that their ecosystem is not as noticeable to humans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellye View Post

There are TONS of alternative energy fuel sources out there - hydro, wind, biofuels, solar, geothermal, biomass, and hydrogen (among others).

To make it even more feasible to convert to an entirely renewable source of energy, we simply need to use less energy as a species.

We may not be able to quit using oil cold turkey, but we aren't taking enough steps towards eliminating its use in the future; I blame this mainly on the lobby influence the oil companies have in Washington.

I was under the impression we use oil for many things besides energy...?
#18 Old 03-31-2010, 01:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Deserts are quite unfortunate in that their ecosystem is not as noticeable to humans.

It's true.

Quote:
I was under the impression we use oil for many things besides energy...?

We do, but not because we can't use other materials in those things; it's because using petroleum in those things makes a small group of powerful people very, very rich.
#19 Old 03-31-2010, 05:14 PM
Banned

Obama hasn't stop lying. No oil will be drilled, it will get locked up in the courts. He's playing the wolf in sheepskin clothing on this one.
#20 Old 03-31-2010, 06:27 PM
American Made, Rebel Born

what more harm can be done to gulf coast? Thought jp morgan chase destroyed everything already.

cry havoc! and let slip the dogs of war.
#21 Old 03-31-2010, 06:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by otomik View Post

i like it. more nuclear plants too.

I'd rather see more nuke plants, and keep our offshore reserves for possible future use.

If Obama wants to throw a bone to the oil lobby, he could have proposed an experimental nuclear/oil shale plant. Not only would it give us working experience for exploiting the oil shale out west, but perhaps some of the technology would spill over to Canada and change the current, horribly inefficient way that tar sands are being exploited.
#22 Old 03-31-2010, 11:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by das_nut View Post

Not only would it give us working experience for exploiting the oil shale out west, but perhaps some of the technology would spill over to Canada and change the current, horribly inefficient way that tar sands are being exploited.

yeah we should invade Canada and use their resources more responsibly.

* This post may contain pork, beef and fingers of undocumented workers. This post was manufactured in a facility that processes peanuts.
#23 Old 03-31-2010, 11:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Even though I'm in the USA -- I've felt the desire to invade the USA to use the resources more responsibly.
#24 Old 03-31-2010, 11:51 PM
Red
Veggie Regular

Quote:

We should just mandate it.
#25 Old 04-01-2010, 03:22 AM

Quote:

I am reminded of an old Jon Stewart stand-up routine. He was in an airport when a Canadian approached him, saying, "Tell me, what do Americans REALLY think of Canada?" to which he replied "...We don't.... In fact, unless we run out of natural resources, you guys are safe. But when THAT day comes.... *knock knock* Umm... we're out of wood. I don't know how to say this but.... get out."

Incidentally, I was living in Canada the first time I heard this.
#26 Old 04-01-2010, 04:44 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
He was in an airport when a Canadian approached him, saying, "Tell me, what do Americans REALLY think of Canada?" to which he replied "...We don't.... In fact, unless we run out of natural resources, you guys are safe. But when THAT day comes.... *knock knock* Umm... we're out of wood. I don't know how to say this but.... get out."

LMAO. That's classic.
#27 Old 04-01-2010, 05:23 AM
Veggie Regular

Do a quick search on products that use petrochemicals. Or if you want a much shorter list, search for products that don't. It's just about everything you use and even eat, not to mention nearly everything relating to modern medicine, from equipment that utilizes plastics to pharmaceuticals).

If you want to force change, here's what you can do:

1: Get rid of you computer and everything that has a microchip.

2: Get rid of everything that contains plastic parts.

3: Get rid of anything that uses synthetic rubber.

4: Don't eat anything that uses petro based pesticides.

5: Avoid nearly all types of medical care.

When enough of us are homeless, without shoes, eating only what we can find growing in trees, and getting sick from things that would otherwise be easily cured, we can feel good knowing we've done our part to weaken the petro industry and force them to change to one of the various available alternatives :P

But those alternatives require drastic changes to the infrastructure on which the entire world has become dependent. What industry is going to go through so much trouble to switch to an alternative when the masses still support the system that is already in place? We can claim to disapprove of it, but the lifestyle we lead is what casts the vote, not the words we speak. Most people won't even allow themselves the inconvenience of living without meat or even more trivial things like palm oil in order to protect the environment. Good luck convincing them to abandon petrochemicals, which are for now a necessity.

I think the best we can hope for is that the world supply of oil runs out quickly, because change isn't happening until the system we've got already is no longer economically viable.

"I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine." Bruce Lee.

"On a large enough time line, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero." Chuck Palahniuk (Fight Club)

#28 Old 04-01-2010, 11:52 AM
Veggie Regular

Dancing barefeet through a dream..

Looks like the best thing you've ever seen..
#29 Old 04-01-2010, 12:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Let's just abandon Western civilization and call it good. It was a good idea while it lasted.
#30 Old 04-01-2010, 12:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad888 View Post

Do a quick search on products that use petrochemicals. Or if you want a much shorter list, search for products that don't. It's just about everything you use and even eat, not to mention nearly everything relating to modern medicine, from equipment that utilizes plastics to pharmaceuticals).

Of course, the good news is that petroleum is made by compressing and heating plant matter, so we are saved!

Well, we are saved once we have a clean and abundant energy source. Hopefully efficient solar or fusion will be here soon.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page