To Catch a (Whale) Predator - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-11-2010, 01:41 PM
Veggie Regular

I pondered putting this in the Veg/Animal issues in the news... But I have the feeling it might initiate "friendly debate" so I dumped it here. Mods, give me a shove to the right forum if this is the wrong place?

(Also, I don't THINK this has been posted - the article is dated today. I did a search for the name "Galbraith" and came up with nothing related, so... I'm hoping this isn't redundant. I apologize if it is!)

I just came across this article:

Quote:
LOS ANGELES Federal prosecutors filed charges Wednesday against a sushi chef and a Santa Monica restaurant on allegations that they served illegal and endangered whale meat.

Typhoon Restaurant Inc., which owns The Hump restaurant, and sushi chef Kiyoshiro Yamamoto, 45, were charged with illegally selling an endangered species product, a misdemeanor.

According to a search warrant, marine mammal activists were served whale during three separate visits to the restaurant. Federal labs confirmed the meat came from a Sei whale, an endangered species protected by international treaties, documents said.

FULL ARTICLE: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100311/...le_sushi_sting

Now, all of this is fine. Great, even.

But what caught my eye a little later in the article was this:

Quote:
During the October restaurant visit, animal rights activist Crystal Galbraith, 27, and a friend who spoke fluent Japanese racked up a bill of $600, feasting on increasingly exotic dishes to gain the confidence of the waiters and chef.

"It was heartbreaking to eat an endangered animal, but I knew that I was doing it to save" the whales, said Galbraith, a vegan. "We were there eating for four hours. I felt so full and sick."

Now, I'm not 100% confident HOW these things work, but I'm inclined to trust the animal activists that getting someone to serve you illegal whale takes a bit of finessing. I WANT to believe it, anyway.

I'll admit I find it odd she qualified the word "animal" with "endangered" because it made it sound like she wouldn't have been heartbroken to eat a different animal.

But I'm curious to know what other people think about this.

Did she do the right thing? Did she do the vegan thing? Are those two things always the SAME thing or is the non-vegan thing sometimes the right thing?

Could/would you have done it?

Tell me, please! I'm curious!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-11-2010, 01:54 PM
mlp
Banned

I think the non-vegan thing can sometimes be the right thing.

I don't think that someone who is selling the flesh of endangered species is going to let just anyone who is coming in off the street know that something so "special" is available.

I don't know that I could have done it, but that by no means makes me a better person, just a more squeamish and less dedicated one.
#3 Old 03-11-2010, 02:01 PM
Veggie Regular

I also think the non-vegan thing can sometimes be the right thing, although I'm too lazy to consider whether it applies to this case. That's a primary reason why I don't want 'vegan' to be defined as an ethical philosophy: if we treat 'vegan' and 'AR' or 'anti-exploitation' as interchangeable (with the exception that 'vegan' also retains the meaning of "avoiding animal products"), then that would suggest that a situation where the use of animal products is the right thing (for animals) is inconceivable.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-11-2010, 05:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Im on the non-vegan but right boat too, however as the article stated, sei (and other whale species) are common cuisine in many east asian countries, and although yes, this operation was illegal, it is nothing compared to the mass hunting being done elsewhere. Jmho......

Misstress of Fabulousness and Fashion! - *AHIMSA*
#5 Old 03-13-2010, 07:14 AM
Veggie Regular

AmySF and I live close to this restaurant .

I believe the activist described it as tasting like a beefy fish . I would have eaten it that sht sounds good . The dish is pricey but if you know the manager he will give you a whale of a deal.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page