Billboards tell Black Women, "black children are endangered species" - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-22-2010, 03:37 PM
American Made, Rebel Born

way to go Atlanta.

Quote:
ATLANTA (AP) The message on dozens of billboards across the city is provocative: Black children are an "endangered species."

The eyebrow-raising ads featuring a young black child are an effort by the anti-abortion movement to use race to rally support within the black community. The reaction from black leaders has been mixed, but the "Too Many Aborted" campaign, which so far is unique to only Georgia, is drawing support from other anti-abortion groups across the country.

"It's ingenious," said the Rev. Johnny Hunter, national director of the Life Education and Resource Network, a North Carolina-based anti-abortion group aimed at African-Americans that operates in 27 states. "This campaign is in your face, and nobody can ignore it."

The billboards went up last week in Atlanta and urge black women to "get outraged."

The effort is sponsored by Georgia Right to Life, which also is pushing legislation that aims to ban abortions based on race.

Black women accounted for the majority of abortions in Georgia in 2006, even though blacks make up just a third of state population, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Nationally, black women were more than three times as likely to get an abortion in 2006 compared with white women, according to the CDC.

"I think it's necessary," Cheryl Sullenger, senior policy adviser for Operation Rescue, said of the billboard campaign. "Abortion in the black community is at epidemic proportions. They're not really aware of what's actually going on. If it shocks people ... it should be shocking."

cry havoc! and let slip the dogs of war.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-22-2010, 03:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Uh.. there are no words.
#3 Old 02-22-2010, 03:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Ugh, so sad. Apparently "abstinence only" didn't quite pan out.

Quote:

While it is difficult to pinpoint precisely how different factors influence teenage sexual behavior, some experts speculate that the rise in teenage pregnancy might be partly attributable to the $150 million a year of federal financing for sex education that emphasized abstinence until marriage, avoiding all mention of the possible benefits of contraception.

This new study makes it crystal clear that abstinence-only sex education for teenagers does not work, said Cecile Richards, the president of the Planned Parenthood Federation of America.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/27/us/27teen.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-22-2010, 03:48 PM
Veggie Regular

But it's totally not racist, they swear!

Uh huh.

Who needs sleep when we've got love?
Who needs keys when we've got clubs?
Who needs please when we've got guns?
Who needs peace when we've gone above?
#5 Old 02-22-2010, 03:49 PM

http://www.weaselzippers.net/blog/20...-outraged.html OP link

the people who put up the billboards are black men.

#6 Old 02-22-2010, 03:56 PM

& also, i'm not sure if they are including teenagers in these statistics. i mean, i assume 18+, but i'm not sure about the teenagers who got parental consent. but that is a weird thing for me to say because of all the black girls i've been friends with are mothers and they are all under the age of 21. i don't know a single black teen who decides to have an abortion (including black boys dating other ethnic girls and what not). most black people i know are very socially conservative.

but that might also be changing based on generational shifts......like my father said he never knew a single gay black person, where as i have several openly gay black friends. ahh so many things going on in this argument. i just saw something about this on News Whatever with Diane Sawyer, and she mentioned something about how fear of being...overwhelmed? by the Latino population who have less abortions and more children than black women. oh no we're the minority minority now, we have no more power, ban black abortion ban it! have more children!

sounds really hysterical, but the numbers are pretty alarming in relation to how small the black population is.

#7 Old 02-22-2010, 04:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
But it's totally not racist, they swear!

It might be interpreted as racist if the message were the opposite.

"There's too many black babies. TOO FEW ABORTED.COM."
#8 Old 02-22-2010, 04:14 PM

sometimes i wonder if at the same time white people become a minority, black people won't exist anymore.

#9 Old 02-22-2010, 04:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenickie View Post

sometimes i wonder if at the same time white people become a minority, black people won't exist anymore.

Fie on all those Latinos and Asians and Native Americans, making white and black people go away....

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#10 Old 02-22-2010, 04:16 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't get this billboard......quite frankly, if someone is against abortion and is 'pro-life' they should be 'pro-life' for all races.
#11 Old 02-22-2010, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylark View Post

Fie on all those Latinos and Asians and Native Americans, making white and black people go away....

i mean just in terms of racial mixing. of course there will be african immigrants. of course there will be black people, but i imagine there will be a lot of mixing going on resulting in an awesome new pool of ethnic gorgeousity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Avocado View Post

I don't get this billboard......quite frankly, if someone is against abortion and is 'pro-life' they should be 'pro-life' for all races.

i suppose it's really just trying to call attention to how many black women have abortions, since it's 3 times more likely a black woman will have an abortion than a white one.

#12 Old 02-22-2010, 04:32 PM
Veggie Regular

So are these antiabortionists going to adopt all the unwanted babies, especially ones with birth defects? (No). There are those who care for the fetus, and abandon the child...

Quote:
The State Department says the number of Americans adopting babies from overseas has more than doubled in the last 10 years, with couples often citing a dearth of American babies.

But there are plenty of American babies who need homes -- African-American babies. And more and more of those children are finding homes abroad, especially in Canada, according to people who work in the U.S. adoption field.

"I just don't understand why American couples go to China and Romania and places like that," Stroud said, "when they have kids in their own back yards."

http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/story?id=547647&page=1

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#13 Old 02-22-2010, 04:35 PM
Veggie Regular

I feel the same way. I'm pro-life, and I don't think it is right for a woman to have an abortion except in the case or incest or rape and then it must be immediate (which can be done now thanks to certain drugs). Race should not have anything to do with it; however, abortion is a big problem in the African-American populace and is often viewed as a way out for young mothers and the impoverished. Fact is that really, you can always put the baby up for adoption either officially, or by turning it in at a hospital, police, or fire station. There really is no excuse to have an abortion.

Also, what isn't published about abortion very much is the fact that it severely increases the risk of breast cancer and causes severe depression. 93% of all women who have had abortions latter regret it and have said they would not have made that choice if they had to again.

I also see a large cognitive dissonance between many vegetarians who refuse to eat unfertilized chicken eggs, but are willing to stand up for a woman's "right" to have an abortion out of convenience -- when that is essentially killing a fertilized and thus living being by their own admitted standards. I'm not saying all veg*ns take this stance, but I know a broad number who do and quite frankly it puzzles me.

There is nothing humanitarian, cultured, or civilized about this particular "medical" practice. Its only purpose is to destroy life.
#14 Old 02-22-2010, 04:38 PM
Veggie Regular

At least education on contraception is changing. W spent $1 bil on abstinence only programs, discussions in the classroom about condoms are a good thing.
#15 Old 02-22-2010, 04:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faolan View Post

I'm pro-life, and I don't think it is right for a woman to have an abortion except in the case or incest or rape

How is that any less killing? Or is it about punishment for the woman who wasn't raped or incested? Do you know how hard it is to prove rape?

Quote:
Fact is that really, you can always put the baby up for adoption either officially, or by turning it in at a hospital, police, or fire station.

Please respond to the info in the post above yours.

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#16 Old 02-22-2010, 04:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I also see a large cognitive dissonance between many vegetarians who refuse to eat unfertilized chicken eggs, but are willing to stand up for a woman's "right" to have an abortion out of convenience -- when that is essentially killing a fertilized and thus living being by their own admitted standards. I'm not saying all veg*ns take this stance, but I know a broad number who do and quite frankly it puzzles me.

I don't think there's any cognitive dissonance going on when I refuse to eat chicken eggs but support a woman's right to choose. An unwanted fetus is essentially a parasite. Just as a woman has a right to get rid of a tapeworm, she also has the right to an abortion. It's self-defense.

don't take my life away, don't take my life away.
#17 Old 02-22-2010, 04:42 PM
Beginner

It's directed towards black women because their abortion rate is so much higher, that whoever created the billboard probably wanted to send a message akin to "yes, YOU... ". It makes it more personal if YOU fit the description in the billboard as opposed to a generic message for everybody.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Avocado View Post

#18 Old 02-22-2010, 04:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenickie;2623172

i suppose it's really just trying to call attention to how many black women have abortions, since it's [B
View Post

3 times[/B] more likely a black woman will have an abortion than a white one.

Wouldn't it make more sense to promote safe sex to black women then? I mean, no pregnancy = no abortion. Pregnancy + no abortion = many potential issues on numerous fronts, only few of which may be positive.
#19 Old 02-22-2010, 04:47 PM
Beginner

I think their strategy is to use more then 1 strategy. Promote no sex, Promote safe sex, promote pro life... it's like eating... eating one healthy food isn't as good as having variety!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLRodgers View Post

Wouldn't it make more sense to promote safe sex to black women then? I mean, no pregnancy = no abortion. Pregnancy + no abortion = many potential issues on numerous fronts, only few of which may be positive.

#20 Old 02-22-2010, 04:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLRodgers View Post

The people who put up the billboard probably don't want to mention sex. Apparently for many of them, admittance that people have it would be like permission to do it (e.g. safe sex education).

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#21 Old 02-22-2010, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxyphonist View Post

I don't think there's any cognitive dissonance going on when I refuse to eat chicken eggs but support a woman's right to choose. An unwanted fetus is essentially a parasite. Just as a woman has a right to get rid of a tapeworm, she also has the right to an abortion. It's self-defense.

i think i accidentally scared my friend Abbey out of ever having kids when i spent the night at her house.

I was like, "imagine it.....a man puts something into you that takes root, making you belong to him in someway FOREVER. it's like some flagging thing - look i did it, i got HER. I did that to HER. he's forever scarred on you. and then it grows. out of control. without you doing anything. you can feel it moving, all the time. it makes you sick. steals your food and nutrients and makes you swell up like a balloon. gives you nightmares, headaches, backpain and pinched nerves. FOR MONTHS. and then it send you through torture, unbelievable pain for HOURS. and then it's entirely dependent on you for at least 5 years before it goes to school, and ends up stealing your life for the next 20+ years. you have nothing but it. imagine if it goes away and your life doesn't exist anymore. god it sounds horrendous."

" i never thought of it that way."

"it gives me nightmares."

"yeah i think i'm going to have a nightmare about it tonite."

#22 Old 02-22-2010, 04:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irizary View Post

So are these antiabortionists going to adopt all the unwanted babies, especially ones with birth defects? (No). There are those who care for the fetus, and abandon the child...

http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/story?id=547647&page=1

I am aware of this problem, but aborting "imperfections" isn't some form of high compassion. It is eugenics plain and simple. Really, it should not be legal to adopt children from outside the country. I know this makes me sound like an *******, but we should think about our own people first before letting others in. We have so many children in our system who do need a loving home and they are often denied that. But like I said, detecting such "deficiencies" before birth and disposing of them makes us as a people no better than the Nazis and Soviets who did the same. How a society treats its feeble is a good indicator of its level of morality and compassion.

Also, I'm one of those people who you would probably say would deserve to be aborted by that standard. I have a fairly acute "mental deficiency", in spite of having a 160 IQ. You could probably guess what class of illness I'm speaking of. This subject is quite emotionally charging for that reason. Secondly, my mother was a single mom when she had me and my father ran off to chase other women after he found out she was pregnant. The only thing I know about my father is for 18 years he tried fighting the court order that required him to pay child support. I could have just have easily been aborted and that would have "solved" so many different "problems" and there would be one less person in the world "suffering" from a "mental illness".

The fact is that I would adopt a child with a condition, especially if I could not have my own. I know plenty of people who have also made that choice and have enriched the lives of many needy children in this nation.

The fact is that I would never inflict upon another what I would not choose for myself, as the great Confucius once advised.
#23 Old 02-22-2010, 04:58 PM
Banned

Quote:

The fact is that I would adopt a child with a condition, especially if I could not have my own.

The fact is that I would never inflict upon another what I would not choose for myself, as the great Confucius once advised.

So, how many children with serious defects have you adopted then? Or is this just talk?
#24 Old 02-22-2010, 04:59 PM

Quote:

I am aware of this problem, but aborting "imperfections" isn't some form of high compassion.

erm, if my mom was told that i would be born and only live 5 years and be in extreme pain and die a miserable death, i'd really hope that she would not give birth to me. people who keep those pregnancies and give birth to children who have such severe illness that their life will be extremely short and painful, smacks of some sort of narcissism or something. that's a pretty selfish thing, imo.

#25 Old 02-22-2010, 05:00 PM
Banned

.... i bet that they're not if you compare them to red-haired white children.
#26 Old 02-22-2010, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodedclawjen View Post

.... i bet that they're not if you compare them to red-haired white children.

how many gingers live in the united states? what are their rates of abortion?

#27 Old 02-22-2010, 05:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly by 3 View Post

So, how many children with serious defects have you adopted then? Or is this just talk?

I said would, not that I did. I have never been married and never have been in a position to adopt kids. I probably will never marry, as I haven't been in a decent relationship since I broke up with my fiancee who was bat-**** insane. I was 20 when that happened. I'm 25 now. I pretty much have no companionship in my life because of various nervous disorders and for the fact I think most people are vain, stupid, and not worth my wasting my time with anyways. If I can't keep up an intelligent conversation with a woman for at least half an hour, I just don't want to be with them.
#28 Old 02-22-2010, 05:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I am aware of this problem, but aborting "imperfections" isn't some form of high compassion.

I think being a TRULY unwanted baby/child is generally worse than not having been born in the first place. Do you know the kinds of things that babies and children need in order to thrive? I notice you want to talk about "imperfections," not being unwanted, which is railroading on your part.

Quote:
Really, it should not be legal to adopt children from outside the country. I know this makes me sound like an *******

correct.

Quote:
Also, I'm one of those people who you would probably say would deserve to be aborted by that standard. I have a fairly acute "mental deficiency", in spite of having a 160 IQ.

Jesus christ. Please use some of that supposedly superior intelligence, reread the post you were responding to, and get it through your head that it's not about aborting because of deficiencies as some sort of eugenics program but because there's no one who wants to adopt most of those babies whose mothers already don't want them. I assume your mother wanted you, so who is saying you "deserved to be aborted?"

Quote:
The fact is that I would adopt a child with a condition, especially if I could not have my own. I know plenty of people who have also made that choice and have enriched the lives of many needy children in this nation.

...and...? Are you going to adopt all the unwanted ones?

Quote:
I could have just have easily been aborted and that would have "solved" so many different "problems" and there would be one less person in the world "suffering" from a "mental illness".

Only if your mother had decided she didn't want you. You were a wanted child. You've really taken a big leap with your post. This topic seems like some kind of a hot button for you where you are wanting to take it really personally and are having difficulty responding to what's actually being said.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#29 Old 02-22-2010, 05:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I said would, not that I did. I have never been married and never have been in a position to adopt kids. I probably will never marry, as I haven't been in a decent relationship since I broke up with my fiancee who was bat-**** insane. I was 20 when that happened. I'm 25 now. I pretty much have no companionship in my life because of various nervous disorders and for the fact I think most people are vain, stupid, and not worth my wasting my time with anyways. If I can't keep up an intelligent conversation with a woman for at least half an hour, I just don't want to be with them.

Very endearing statement there. I'm glad you think so highly of the rest of us.

don't take my life away, don't take my life away.
#30 Old 02-22-2010, 05:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxyphonist View Post

Very endearing statement there. I'm glad you think so highly of the rest of us.

We were all just fetuses way back. But now that we're all grown up we're not so desirable anymore

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page