Illegal downloaders "spend the most on music" - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-01-2009, 12:34 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
People who illegally download music from the internet also spend more money on music than anyone else, according to a new study. The survey, published today, found that those who admit illegally downloading music spent an average of £77 a year on music £33 more than those who claim that they never download music dishonestly.

The findings suggest that plans by the Secretary of State for Business, Peter Mandelson, to crack down on illegal downloaders by threatening to cut their internet connections with a "three strikes and you're out" rule could harm the music industry by punishing its core customers.

An estimated seven million UK users download files illegally every year. The record industry's trade association, the British Phonographic Industry (BPI), believes this copyright infringement will cost the industry £200m this year.

The poll, which surveyed 1,000 16- to 50-year-olds with internet access, found that one in 10 people admit to downloading music illegally.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...l-1812776.html

So, people who have the ability to properly "test" products before they buy them buy more? Surprising.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-01-2009, 12:40 AM
Veggie Regular

When it comes to "spending more on music," does that mean just records or might it also include paying to see a band live? I bet that those who illegally download music and have huge libraries of songs go to see more concerts, because they have a more varied taste.
#3 Old 11-01-2009, 04:36 AM
Veggie Regular

Officer, I was just "testing" this car by hotwiring it and taking it for a ride. If I like it, I'll return this one and buy another at full purchase price. Really!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-01-2009, 04:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...l-1812776.html

So, people who have the ability to properly "test" products before they buy them buy more? Surprising.

Yes, but how much more would those people be spending if they didn't have access to illegal music online?
#5 Old 11-01-2009, 05:04 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFalafel View Post

Yes, but how much more would those people be spending if they didn't have access to illegal music online?

I don't know any reasons for believing that they would buy more. The assumption that they would is also the only way for downloading to constitute a loss to the artists and record companies.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

#6 Old 11-01-2009, 05:06 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleven View Post

If I like it, I'll return this one and buy another at full purchase price. Really!

Which immediately shows the analogy fail: you cannot "return" something that was downloaded, because it was not "taken" in the first place.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

#7 Old 11-01-2009, 05:21 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Which immediately shows the analogy fail: you cannot "return" something that was downloaded, because it was not "taken" in the first place.

Funny how it appears on a hard drive then. Must be magic.

If filesharers listened to a song once (the test) then, regardless of whether they liked it or not, deleted it, it would be ok. The occurrence of that is rare indeed.
#8 Old 11-01-2009, 05:42 AM
Veggie Regular

People have a finite amount of money they are willing to spend on music. I don't see how they'd have extra disposable income with which to buy music if they didn't download.
#9 Old 11-01-2009, 06:29 AM
Veggie Regular

In China you can download music for free from google. It seems to work out, because people are still making music here.
#10 Old 11-01-2009, 06:47 AM
Banned

People, it is a fact that people buy more music when they can download it. Record sales were at their all time high when Napster downloads were at its all time high. I think that people discover new music online and want to buy a perfect sounding copy of it (most downloaded music is encoded at a crappy 128 kbps bitrate).

I have bought thousands of CDs (yes, literally). I have also downloaded thousands of albums (without paying for them). I buy from artists that I think are truly wonderful and I want to support them. I am not rich enough to buy every single song I like. I buy what I want to buy. Note to record companies: throwing people in jail will not increase your sales. It will only ensure that person will never spend a dime on your products ever again.

On another note, I am much more likely to buy from an independent artist that is not under a huge record label. Record companies rip off the artists big time. I have never heard the following words spoken from any singer: "My record company treats me great!".
#11 Old 11-01-2009, 06:49 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Funny how it appears on a hard drive then. Must be magic.

It doesn't, a copy does. Unless by 'it' you're referring to the abstraction of the "intellectual property" that is present in each individual record.

Let us repair your analogy:

Officer, I just replicated this car with fancy technology and took the copy I made for a ride. If I like it, I'll destroy this copy and buy an original at full purchase price. Really!

Quote:
If filesharers listened to a song once (the test) then, regardless of whether they liked it or not, deleted it, it would be ok. The occurrence of that is rare indeed.

Only once? Must be some really catchy tunes.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

#12 Old 11-01-2009, 08:48 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

It doesn't, a copy does. Unless by 'it' you're referring to the abstraction of the "intellectual property" that is present in each individual record.

Let us repair your analogy:

Officer, I just replicated this car with fancy technology and took the copy I made for a ride. If I like it, I'll destroy this copy and buy an original at full purchase price. Really!

Only once? Must be some really catchy tunes.

Yea, I understand the concept of a copy. I also understand the concept of stealing which is what the filesharers are doing when they create a copy of a song by clicking "Save Target As" and don't remit payment as requested by the owner of the abstraction.

I'm not a big proponent of private property and have even advised people to steal from those who steal from you. I don't have a problem with that. What bugs me is the rationalization that it's not stealing. I have more respect on this front for the people who say "Yes, I'm stealing this music" than those who lie to themselves and others claiming it to not be stealing at all because of some intellectual property vs real property bull****.
#13 Old 11-01-2009, 09:03 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I wouldn't be spending more, I'd be spending less!

Downloading music is legal where I live. If I hear one song I like, I will download the album, then perhaps buy the CDs, concert DVDs, or go to a concert by that band. If I hadn't downloaded that album I would never have purchased the CD instead for fear of disliking it and not getting my money back. I have downloaded countless albums that friends have recommended and ended up deleting them because I wasn't that into them. By downloading the music and deciding if I like it, I'm more likely to spend the money I *do* have allotted for music supporting artists that I actually like and albums I'll actually listen to.

ETA: I spend hundreds of dollars per year on music in the form of concerts, concert t-shirts, mp3s, CDs and DVDs. They wouldn't be getting my money if I didn't know for certain I liked it (if I hadn't downloaded it first to check it out!)
#14 Old 11-01-2009, 09:19 AM
Banned

When I hear something on the radio that I like, I go and look for it at the iTunes store. If it's not released yet I download it illegally, then buy it when it's released.

I buy perhaps 2 songs a week. If I find I've downloaded all an artist/band's singles, I'll then pay to complete the album which usually costs about £5 extra. I probably spend £77 or even more on music a year, yep.
#15 Old 11-01-2009, 11:23 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Well, just look at record sales before napster and during napster/after napster.
#16 Old 11-01-2009, 11:33 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I'm not a big proponent of private property and have even advised people to steal from those who steal from you. I don't have a problem with that. What bugs me is the rationalization that it's not stealing. I have more respect on this front for the people who say "Yes, I'm stealing this music" than those who lie to themselves and others claiming it to not be stealing at all because of some intellectual property vs real property bull****.

I think many people are attracted to downloading because downloading has some differences from theft -- the same people would never shoplift etc. So I think the view about stealing comes first, and the downloading is a consequence, and not the other way around like in rationalization.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page