#1 Old 10-31-2009, 04:29 AM
Veggie Regular

Here's the video

video
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-31-2009, 04:38 AM
Veggie Regular

No, he was fired for violating the company dress code. Private employers have a right to enforce dress codes for employees when they are working in their facility. Whether it be a "God is a joke" or "I love Jesus" or "Hail Satan" etc. button, any company can enforce dress codes for their employees. Although they try to make out like this guy was singled out because the button had to do with God, he was actually fired for refusing to comply with the dress code.
#3 Old 10-31-2009, 05:09 AM
Veggie Regular

He deserved to be fired. What an idiot giving up his job for the sake of wearing a badge. I really hope he isn't given a job out of sympathy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-31-2009, 05:34 AM
Veggie Regular

If what the guy says is true and I have no reason to doubt it is:

1. He wore the button on his uniform for a year and nobody said anything.

2. He was asked to remove it only after he brought a bible to work.

3. He was offered the opportunity to wear a different button on his uniform supporting the troops.

Sure Home Depot can fire him. They've fired people for a lot less and they're a really ****ty example of the greedy Americn corporate mentality - they've consistently opposed the right of workers to organize and in conjunction with Walmart fought against the Employee Free Choice Act, a bill co-sponsored by then Senator Barack Obama.

Sounds like Home Depot is the ******* here but that's not surprising given their corporate history.
#5 Old 10-31-2009, 06:44 AM
Veggie Regular

He shouldn't have violated the dress code. I agree it's fishy they didn't confront him until he brought a bible in but he shouldn't have quit just by being told to take off a button on the job.

And I hate when people say you can't have America without God, what about all the americans who aren't christian.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will then know peace" - Jimi Hendrix
#6 Old 10-31-2009, 06:53 AM
Banned

Personal politics and religion have no place at work. It would be inappropriate for me to put up a GO VEGAN poster on my desk. I'm representing the company I work for, not my own opinions.
#7 Old 10-31-2009, 06:55 AM
mlp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthling View Post

Personal politics and religion have no place at work. It would be inappropriate for me to put up a GO VEGAN poster on my desk. I'm representing the company I work for, not my own opinions.

#8 Old 10-31-2009, 07:03 AM
Veggie Regular

I have a few thoughts on the subject.

I don't doubt he pushed the envelope by bringing the bible to work. Many times there are rules that may be overlooked for a while, but then something happens, or someone questions something, and the employer has to dig out the old rule book and see what the protocols are. Things may be sloppy for a long while and then the employer has to step in and tidy things up a bit.

I do think one needs to abide by whatever rules/dress code the employer has.

He should have removed the pin...it's not like they were asking him to denounce God/his religion or anything.

I understand an employer's need/desire to create a controversy-free zone in the workplace.

He is a better person than I am for giving up his job over something he believes in. That was pretty big of him, IMO.

Shame on the person who may have ratted him out unless he was in the faces of customers and co-workers and making a nuisance of himself.
#9 Old 10-31-2009, 07:07 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthling View Post

In the U.S., politics (all politics are personal to those with an interest) have a long tradition in the workplace best exemplified by the fight for worker's rights.

Obviously, the struggle continues today.
#10 Old 10-31-2009, 07:50 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenlovessnow View Post

I don't doubt he pushed the envelope by bringing the bible to work.

I highly doubt they have any rule against reading a Bible on break. As long as he wasn't reading it on company time it shouldn't have been an issue. In fact he may have had more of a case if they prohibited him from doing so.

As for the pin: he was violating company policy in regards to uniform standards. It shouldn't matter if they said something after he started bringing his Bible or if they said something the first day he wore it. When you are hired by a company you agree to follow their rules, and he broke the rules, which means they are within their rights to fire him. I don't see any real issue here.
#11 Old 10-31-2009, 08:24 AM
Veggie Regular

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#12 Old 10-31-2009, 08:31 AM
Veggie Regular

I wonder how the restaurant owner (the one in the video) would react if one of his employees came to work wearing a button he didn't agree with.
#13 Old 10-31-2009, 08:43 AM
Herbivorous Urchin

what a moron, giving up his job for a BUTTON?

Thousands of people all over the country are having issues getting jobs, this guy has one, and gives it up for a button!

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#14 Old 10-31-2009, 08:49 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricGaia View Post

Thousands of people all over the country are having issues getting jobs, this guy has one, and gives it up for a button!

Personally, I think that Home Depot is the moron for forbidding a national pledge and making fools of themselves in the eyes of the public.
#15 Old 10-31-2009, 08:51 AM
Herbivorous Urchin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jemdude View Post

Personally, I think that Home Depot is the moron for forbidding a national pledge and making fools of themselves in the eyes of the public.

They won't be the ones losing out on money, though.

It is his own fault for going against the dress code, when you work for a company you're saying "I'll do my job, abide by the rules, and you'll pay me".

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
#16 Old 10-31-2009, 09:25 AM
Veggie Regular

Never question corporate policy.

They know what's good for us all.

[attachment=8812:csfront.jpg]
LL
#17 Old 10-31-2009, 12:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricGaia View Post

I agree. I have been out of work for a year and a half..... I would take his job in a heartbeat and follow the rules.... Florida is an "at will" state and you sign an agreement to follow company policy or risk losing your job.

I don't think bringing a Bible to read on one's break is a violation of company policy however. His lawyers will just use this to utilize the "religious discrimination" defense in the lawsuit.

"Women & cats will do as they please, & men & dogs should relax & get used to the idea." Robert Heinlein
#18 Old 10-31-2009, 12:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jikin View Post

I highly doubt they have any rule against reading a Bible on break. As long as he wasn't reading it on company time it shouldn't have been an issue. In fact he may have had more of a case if they prohibited him from doing so.

I didn't mean to imply that I thought there was a rule against reading a bible on break. I think it ticked someone off, whether it was the supervisor/manager or a co-worker, hence they decided to make an issue of the button. Happens all the time, take a chronically cranky person or someone just having a bad day, and they have to try and make trouble for someone else, because misery loves company. Of course, I don't know this for sure...it's just my opinion on what little I've heard about the case, so far. And the fact that I'm a bit cranky, today, myself. People need to lighten up and be nicer to each other. (People in general, out there in the world, not referring to anyone here.)

I'm going back to the "great and little things" thread....
#19 Old 10-31-2009, 01:40 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenlovessnow View Post

I didn't mean to imply that I thought there was a rule against reading a bible on break. I think it ticked someone off, whether it was the supervisor/manager or a co-worker, hence they decided to make an issue of the button. Happens all the time, take a chronically cranky person or someone just having a bad day, and they have to try and make trouble for someone else, because misery loves company. Of course, I don't know this for sure...it's just my opinion on what little I've heard about the case, so far. And the fact that I'm a bit cranky, today, myself. People need to lighten up and be nicer to each other. (People in general, out there in the world, not referring to anyone here.)

I'm going back to the "great and little things" thread....

He was warned though. We was told "Take it off, or you're going home" Then six days of NOT taking it off, did they fire him. SIX DAYS! If I had the kind of money to not worry about missing work for six days, i'd wear a button that said "I don't deserve a job, give it to someone in need"

Quote:
#20 Old 10-31-2009, 05:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Employees that work with the public are representing the company, and I can see the argument for a dress code. The current law reflects that.

But I do wonder if it's a good thing that we should become soulless zombies for eight hours a day just because its good for business. Maybe a bit of diversity is a Good Thing, as long as the employees still get the job done.

ETA: I'm going to laugh when Home Depot fires someone for having a vegetarian bumper sticker on a car parked at work, and all of you who are defending Home Depot in this instance attacks them.
#21 Old 10-31-2009, 05:34 PM
Veggie Regular

I cannot watch videos on my old coputer, so I went looking for an actual news article, and found several. Here's one of them.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_god_button_home_depot

In the US, the rules regarding religion in the workplace are a little complex. I think if you bring a bible to work and read it on your own time, there's no problem there. If he had started reading bible passages to customers and/or other employees and asking them about their religious beliefs, I think that's not allowed.

As far as I'm concerned, he was fired for violating the dress code of that particular company. If they didn't care that he wore it, there wouldn't be a problem. It would be like wearing a cross pendant around one's neck. It's an individual expression of religious belief that I think is protected by the First Amendment. But apparently a pin on a uniform is not allowed at Home Depot.

I'd be surprised if this guy's lawsuit goes anywhere.

*this space not for sale*
#22 Old 10-31-2009, 05:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Getting fired for breaking dress code: no one gives a flying _____

Getting fired for breaking dress code, and "God" or "Christian" is mentioned: OH MY GOD STOP THE PRESSES!!!! Put it online! Get petitions! Call the congressman! File lawsuits! It's WRONG!

Now if they allow other non-business buttons, that would be different... although considering the button itself is not religious in nature in itself (well, it is and isn't, the phrase is in schools and in govt. meetings, so it "isn't"), I would say it appears to have nothing to do with religion, rather a angry employee who got fired trying to get back at the company.

Also, as the article says he was offered a company approved "united we stand" he refused -- so he really is not supporting the country, rather it was the employee wearing it for just a religious reason. Basically, the kid lied.
#23 Old 10-31-2009, 05:58 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlrodgers View Post

getting fired for breaking dress code: No one gives a flying _____

getting fired for breaking dress code, and "god" or "christian" is mentioned: Oh my god stop the presses!!!! Put it online! Get petitions! Call the congressman! File lawsuits! It's wrong!

Now if they allow other non-business buttons, that would be different... Although considering the button itself is not religious in nature in itself (well, it is and isn't, the phrase is in schools and in govt. Meetings, so it "isn't"), i would say it appears to have nothing to do with religion, rather a angry employee who got fired trying to get back at the company.

Also, as the article says he was offered a company approved "united we stand" he refused -- so he really is not supporting the country, rather it was the employee wearing it for just a religious reason. Basically, the kid lied.

+1

Quote:
#24 Old 11-01-2009, 12:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirstenKat View Post

He shouldn't have violated the dress code. I agree it's fishy they didn't confront him until he brought a bible in but he shouldn't have quit just by being told to take off a button on the job.

I think they looked the other way, but when he became emboldened and chose to bring a bible, HD saw the writing on the wall, and decided to pull the weed before it destroyed the garden.

Happiness is not the result of a mathematical equation comparing the good times and bad times someone has had. It is a state of mind.
-nomad888
#25 Old 11-01-2009, 12:21 PM
Veggie Regular

There was a similar case with British Airways where a woman was told to stop wearing her cross at work. She went to tribunal and won but a surprisingly large number of people boycotted BA as a result so they won the battle but lost the war so to speak.
#26 Old 11-01-2009, 06:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jemdude View Post

Here's the video

video

In my state an xtian organisation can legally fire an employee for being homosexual, a single parent, having had an abortion, being an atheist or any number of things which "go against their beliefs." So I find it hard to have sympathy for this guy...
#27 Old 11-01-2009, 06:18 PM

He doesn't deserve to have a job if he throws it away so easily.
#28 Old 11-01-2009, 07:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam antichrist View Post

In my state an xtian organisation can legally fire an employee for being homosexual, a single parent, having had an abortion, being an atheist or any number of things which "go against their beliefs." So I find it hard to have sympathy for this guy...

And what if the guy belonged to a church that advocated for gay rights?

Would that change your opinion?
#29 Old 11-01-2009, 07:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by das_nut View Post

And what if the guy belonged to a church that advocated for gay rights?

Would that change your opinion?

obviously not, since xtians and other established religions would still be allowed to discriminate against "sinners" who do not have to go as far as endorsing their beliefs on a badge to warrant termination of their employment.
#30 Old 11-01-2009, 07:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam antichrist View Post

obviously not, since xtians and other established religions would still be allowed to discriminate against "sinners".

Since discrimination is wrong, it's okay to discriminate?

Er...

Also, I'm pretty sure I'm a member of an established religion. AFAICT, we're pretty laid back.

But if it makes you feel better, think that all religions are a bunch of conservative fundie nutsos.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page