Kapporot (swinging live chickens) - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-30-2009, 01:10 PM

Kapporot is the quaint Jewish "tradition" of swinging a live chicken over one's head, undoubtedly painfully breaking it's wings or legs in the process, before having its neck slit.

I always thought that this was an urban legend; that the term "them chicken swingin' Jews" was a bigoted, nonsensical, redneck myth, just as the belief (believe it or not!) that Jews have horns. I am not joking. My wife (who is Jewish) has had people feel her head for horns. This notion has its roots in Michaelangelo painting Moses with horns, for some reason. But that is another issue.

Anyway, then my step-daughter-in-law (a non-Jew) questioned my mother-in-law (a Reformed Jew) about this Kapporot issue.

She (my mother-in-law) said that "we don't swing chickens anymore". Which astonished me, because that meant that it was not an urban legend, and that it was done, some time in the past.

So I did research. It turns out that:

• Kapporot was not only done, but it is still being done, with great vigor: there are at least 14 Kapporot centers in the New York City alone!
  • PETA has a campaign to end this barbaric practice.
  • Many Jews are embarrassed by this and are also working to end this horrendous "tradition".

Apologists have tried to claim that the sacrificed chickens are used to feed the poor, but strong evidence shows otherwise: thousands of chicken carcasses thrown into dumpsters.

Info on this issue, as well as a PETA video on the subject, can be seen here:

http://www.ethicalvegetarian.com/essays.html#kapparot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-30-2009, 01:14 PM
Veggie Regular

What is your issue with Jewish people ?
#3 Old 10-30-2009, 01:16 PM

I don't have an issue with the Jewish people. As I mentioned, my wife and her family are Jewish. Did you not read that?

I have an issue with barbaric Jewish practices.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-30-2009, 01:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Well atleast they don't practice animal sacrafice .
#5 Old 10-30-2009, 01:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Sick. Tradition, religious, ethnic or otherwise, is never a justification for abuse and cruelty.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#6 Old 10-30-2009, 01:22 PM

MikeFromSM: you say, "Well atleast they don't practice animal sacrafice [sic]". So chickens are not animals? Is that what you are saying?
#7 Old 10-30-2009, 01:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

Sick. Tradition, religious, ethnic or otherwise, is never a justification for abuse and cruelty.

#8 Old 10-30-2009, 05:56 PM
Veggie Regular

United Poultry Concerns is the group that seems to be making the most inroads on this issue. Check out their website at www.upc-online.org .

slops, gloops, and gruels.
#9 Old 10-30-2009, 06:07 PM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeFromSM View Post

What is your issue with Jewish people ?

Why does it matter if the person is Jewish, Jain or worships Jupiter? This still doesn't exactly sound like a great practice.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#10 Old 10-30-2009, 09:17 PM
Banned

"Kapporot is the quaint Jewish "tradition" of swinging a live chicken over one's head, undoubtedly painfully breaking it's wings or legs in the process, before having its neck slit."

Actually, it is an Ashkenazi Jewish tradition (jews of generally Eastern and NorthWestern Europe). It is not part of the tradition of Sephardic Jews (from generally from Spain, Asia, or Africa). Although places like Romania had both Separidic and Ashkenazi sects, each with their own synagoges.
#11 Old 10-31-2009, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peace View Post

United Poultry Concerns is the group that seems to be making the most inroads on this issue. Check out their website at www.upc-online.org .

Thanks! I checked their website out. I will post their link on the Ethical Vegetarians website. I see that they also have excellent info on the so-called "Cage Free Eggs", "Free Range Eggs" scam that is being perpetrated onto the public.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page