VeggieBoards

VeggieBoards (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/)
-   The Compost Heap (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/17-compost-heap/)
-   -   We need a "V" mark! (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/17-compost-heap/105360-we-need-v-mark.html)

Dunestrider 10-29-2009 12:22 PM

We need a "V" mark!

The Jews have had their dietary symbols on mainstream products for decades. For example, the "U" with a circle around it means that the product is kosher.

Why can't companies imprint a similar symbol for vegetarian products? Especially since vegetarians outnumber Jews at least 10 to 1?

Here are some suggestions:

"v" (with a circle around it) for vegetarian

"V" (with a circle around it) for vegan

"vl" (with a circle around it) for lacto-vegetarians

"vo" (with a circle around it) for ovo-vegetarians

"vlo" (with a circle around it) for lacto-ovo vegetarians

I do not see any downside to this.

Sevenseas 10-29-2009 12:33 PM

I think that, rather than start labeling various animal products with different vegetarian labels, vegetarians should focus on buying products for which there already exists a good label

Alicia Avocado 10-29-2009 12:37 PM

To make it easier, there should just be a requirement that anything that is sold (that does not have meat or anything else obvious directly in the name) be marked with either:

Contains animal products

or

Contains some animal products: check nutrition label for details.

Dunestrider 10-29-2009 12:46 PM

How is that easier? A "V" with a circle around it would be easier for the average consumer than a verbose description.

penny79 10-29-2009 12:48 PM

Bah, I can't be bothered with stuff with labels as it is.

Werewolf Girl 10-29-2009 12:48 PM

A lot of products here often do have a vegetarian or vegan symbol on them, and at restaurants the vegetarian dishes tend to have a little green leaf symbol or a 'V' or something similar by them.

Is this just a Canadian thing or even just a Vancouver thing? I know we're extremely veg friendly here so maybe I'm just spoiled.

Dunestrider 10-29-2009 12:51 PM

Yep, you are spoiled. No such thing in the US. I sincerely admire Canada for their way of life. When, oh when, will the US catch up?

Alicia Avocado 10-29-2009 01:07 PM

Quote:

vs:

Quote:
Contains animal products

or

Contains some animal products: check nutrition label for details.

Seems easier to me.

Quote:
Is this just a Canadian thing or even just a Vancouver thing? I know we're extremely veg friendly here so maybe I'm just spoiled.

I've noticed some restaurants place a little red tomato beside vegetarian menu items, but I haven't seen the label thing. I'm pretty unobservant though.

Werewolf Girl 10-29-2009 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Avocado View Post

vs:

Seems easier to me.

I've noticed some restaurants place a little red tomato beside vegetarian menu items, but I haven't seen the label thing. I'm pretty unobservant though.

Oh yeah, there's the tomato too! I think Boston Pizza does the tomato thing...

Amy SF 10-29-2009 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunestrider View Post

Yep, you are spoiled. No such thing in the US. I sincerely admire Canada for their way of life. When, oh when, will the US catch up?

Where are you shopping? You're wrong. Here in the Los Angeles area there are lots of products with V on them to indicate vegan. Especially Trader Joe's products. One such item is their baked tofu.

FourFleurs 10-29-2009 01:23 PM

Is there really no indication of whether or not a product is vegetarian where you live? In Ireland (and most of Europe) it either says 'Suitable For Vegetarians' or has a little ticked circle saying 'Vegetarian Society Approved'. I couldn't imagine having to read every ingredient of everything I buy.

WonderRandy 10-29-2009 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourFleurs View Post

Is there really no indication of whether or not a product is vegetarian where you live? In Ireland (and most of Europe) it either says 'Suitable For Vegetarians' or has a little ticked circle saying 'Vegetarian Society Approved'. I couldn't imagine having to read every ingredient of everything I buy.

That's exactly what we have to do...

There are some companies that target veg*ns that will put "vegan" or "suitable for vegetarians" on their packaging, but it's pretty rare. And we have no standard icon for veg labeling.

I read labels of practically everything I buy.

Werewolf Girl 10-29-2009 01:45 PM

Meh, I'm in the habit of reading labels now anyway just because I'm always surprised by how many gross additives I find in things.

It's a good thing to do just for the sake of your health, too many products are nothing but high fructose corn syrup and a long list of unpronouncable chemicals, yuck.

Kenickie 10-29-2009 01:56 PM

what?

the united states has a V symbol on stuff. it's in a heart. or sometimes it just says vegan friendly.

i don't know where you are shopping. :/

FourFleurs 10-29-2009 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

Meh, I'm in the habit of reading labels now anyway just because I'm always surprised by how many gross additives I find in things.

It's a good thing to do just for the sake of your health, too many products are nothing but high fructose corn syrup and a long list of unpronouncable chemicals, yuck.

I avoid stuff with more than a handful of ingredients anyway, so that's not much of an issue for me, never has been. My parents really disagree with overprocessed food products and won't buy them, so I've never been exposed to them.

Alicia Avocado 10-29-2009 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

Agreed. Another thing to watch for is the sugar content in things....

Werewolf Girl 10-29-2009 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Avocado View Post

Agreed. Another thing to watch for is the sugar content in things....

Ugh! Don't even talk to me about sugar, since cutting out animal products I'm starting to realize just how much of an addiction I have and how much I eat in a day and it's truly horrifying. That just can't be good for me...

Paradox 10-29-2009 02:27 PM

We already have several "V" marks, most UK food is marked with a V symbol of some sort or another if it is suitable for vegetarians.

Sevenseas 10-29-2009 02:32 PM

This guy wanted better veg*n labels too, pretty badly:

clarita osita 10-29-2009 02:50 PM

You know, when I saw the title of this thread, I was thinking, "what? you want to mark virgins with a scarlet V? what's the world coming to?"

Earthling 10-29-2009 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourFleurs View Post

I think pretty much all vegetarian products here are marked with a V.

Some supermarkets are very good at also labelling products vegan, like Sainsbury's, but a lot of the time I have to read labels of vegetarian products to check for animal ingredients. First I look for the V sign, then I check the allergy advice for milk or eggs, then I check the ingredients for honey/carmine etc.

dormouse 10-29-2009 03:35 PM

Some US stores that are particularly vegetarian friendly have objects marked with Vegan or Vegetarian symbols, such as Whole Foods or Trader Joe's. More typical grocery stores and brands do not carry such symbols. I really wish they did. It doesn't have to be complex like the OP suggests. Many products already list eggs and dairy in bold on the back as allergens, but not all, especially if it's something small like whey powder or casein. Cheeses in normal grocery stores do not list the source of animal enzymes. I wish they did.

otomik 10-29-2009 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenickie View Post

what?

the united states has a V symbol on stuff. it's in a heart. or sometimes it just says vegan friendly.

i don't know where you are shopping. :/

yeah. India has this stuff already figured out too with all those veggie peoples there. they even got their own veggie menu at mcdonalds.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegetarianism_in_India

mlp 10-29-2009 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderRandy View Post

That's exactly what we have to do...

There are some companies that target veg*ns that will put "vegan" or "suitable for vegetarians" on their packaging, but it's pretty rare. And we have no standard icon for veg labeling.

I read labels of practically everything I buy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dormouse View Post

Some US stores that are particularly vegetarian friendly have objects marked with Vegan or Vegetarian symbols, such as Whole Foods or Trader Joe's. More typical grocery stores and brands do not carry such symbols. I really wish they did. It doesn't have to be complex like the OP suggests. Many products already list eggs and dairy in bold on the back as allergens, but not all, especially if it's something small like whey powder or casein. Cheeses in normal grocery stores do not list the source of animal enzymes. I wish they did.

Yes. As I've gotten older, I have had to pass on buying some things just because the ingredient list is in such small type that I can't read it.

MrFalafel 10-30-2009 02:05 AM

There is no legal definition what exactly what 'vegetarian' or 'vegan' is. Even a company that puts a V on something is just referring to what they have defined as vegetarian. Perhaps they don't worry as much about trace elements as you do or perhaps they don't worry about additives or making food on the same surfaces as non-veg items. So right now even with a V symbol you need to check if that companies idea of vegetarian meets with yours.

Also, if you actually take time to learn how the koshers symbols work and what they mean you'll realise you can use them to help determine if animal products are present. Its also important to remember that companies have to pay for kosher inspections so its actually an outside party that is giving them the kosher symbol 'approval', its not internal as they are doing with V signs, therefore Kosher symbols are more accurate and trustworthy, IMHO.

River 10-30-2009 04:44 AM

All kinds of stuff at my store has a V with a circle around it on them...

dormouse 10-30-2009 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFalafel View Post

There is no legal definition what exactly what 'vegetarian' or 'vegan' is. Even a company that puts a V on something is just referring to what they have defined as vegetarian. Perhaps they don't worry as much about trace elements as you do or perhaps they don't worry about additives or making food on the same surfaces as non-veg items. So right now even with a V symbol you need to check if that companies idea of vegetarian meets with yours.

Also, if you actually take time to learn how the koshers symbols work and what they mean you'll realise you can use them to help determine if animal products are present. Its also important to remember that companies have to pay for kosher inspections so its actually an outside party that is giving them the kosher symbol 'approval', its not internal as they are doing with V signs, therefore Kosher symbols are more accurate and trustworthy, IMHO.

Many of the labels I've seen in the US seem to be an emblem of the Vegetarian Society.

I also really like the bunny symbol here that denotes that an item hasn't been tested on animals. It's cute.

MrFalafel 10-30-2009 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dormouse View Post

Many of the labels I've seen in the US seem to be an emblem of the Vegetarian Society.

I also really like the bunny symbol here that denotes that an item hasn't been tested on animals. It's cute.

Approved by the Vegetarian Society schemes are great but they cost money. The food supplier has to pay a yearly fee and submit to inspection and adhere to a specified requirement to earn that specifically approval. The thing is, many companies feel they can save money on the fee and just use their own V symbol that has whatever meaning they choose to associate with it. This can lead to all sorts of false assumptions and confusion.

dormouse 10-30-2009 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFalafel View Post

Approved by the Vegetarian Society schemes are great but they cost money. The food supplier has to pay a yearly fee and submit to inspection and adhere to a specified requirement to earn that specifically approval. The thing is, many companies feel they can save money on the fee and just use their own V symbol that has whatever meaning they choose to associate with it. This can lead to all sorts of false assumptions and confusion.

I guess that explains why only the companies that really care about vegetarians have the emblem.

Kiz 10-30-2009 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunestrider View Post

We need a "V" mark!

The Jews have had their dietary symbols on mainstream products for decades. For example, the "U" with a circle around it means that the product is kosher.

Why can't companies imprint a similar symbol for vegetarian products? Especially since vegetarians outnumber Jews at least 10 to 1?

I do not see any downside to this.

You mean like this?