Flying saucers - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-25-2009, 01:29 AM
Veggie Regular

I have deliberately avoided this section after reading the thread about pot stirrers. I was worried people would get the wrong idea about me. One of the threads I made was similar to pot stirring in what I said https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...d.php?t=110780 But anyways.

Fellow veggieboarders what are some of your opinions about UFO's. Do you think sightings are just hallucinations or just natural phenomena? Should we try to make contact or stay as quiet as we can?

I volunteer my computer to SETI so I do believe in UFO's but I'm not sure if UFO's are necessarily from another place in the universe(in a way). I think it is possible these UFO's are just humans from the future that have figured out time travel.

I think we should continue listening. Actively searching could turn out very bad but at the same time immensely great. If UFO sightings are actually sightings of extra terrestrials what would they think of us. I imagine they would look at us in the way we view fleas.

"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-25-2009, 02:00 AM

Well, I hope they don't have any flea powder, if your theory is correct!

I don't know if they are real or not, but if they are, I think most likely they are from the present, not the future. There are many secret government programs, and much of the technology that is in the public record, seems futuristic. Like microwave weapons that can cook somebody from the inside out, or the creepy looking Stealth Bomber.

The CIA has been super secretive to the point where they don't even reveal to the public what all buildings they have had built in our own country. I'm not talking about little buildings; I mean huge compounds were kept secret for years, so who knows what the NSA, or other agencies are up to?

Just a thought.
#3 Old 10-25-2009, 02:42 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't really doubt that their is other life "out there"

Young Ellie: Dad, do you think there's people on other planets?

Ted Arroway: I don't know, Sparks. But I guess I'd say if it is just us... seems like an awful waste of space.

-Contact (1997)

But given the current laws of physics as we (I?) understand them and the incomprehensible distances between stars let alone inhabitable planets, I doubt that its even possible to visit another planet. Now, time travel is a possibility or there could be a breakthrough in the laws of space-time that would permit it but based on what we know now, uh uh.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-25-2009, 02:44 AM
Veggie Regular

As an agnostic, I look at this kind of stuff the same way I look at religion.

religon - Maybe there is a higher power, but I have no way of knowing one way or another, and since my happiness in life is based on my state of mind and is not dependent on proving or disproving things I can't possibly know, I'm not gonna worry about it to much.

U.F.O.'s - Same as above, except replace "higher power" with "aliens," "U.F.O.'s," or any other similar thing.

"I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine." Bruce Lee.

"On a large enough time line, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero." Chuck Palahniuk (Fight Club)

#5 Old 10-25-2009, 02:51 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaroque View Post

Ted Arroway: I don't know, Sparks. But I guess I'd say if it is just us... seems like an awful waste of space.

-Contact (1997)

But given the current laws of physics as we (I?) understand them and the incomprehensible distances between stars let alone inhabitable planets, I doubt that its even possible to visit another planet. Now, time travel is a possibility or there could be a breakthrough in the laws of space-time that would permit it but based on what we know now, uh uh.

Yeah, this is pretty much my take on it. I think it's entirely possible there might be intelligent life on other planets, but the unimaginable VASTNESS of space, and our relative obscurity makes it HIGHLY unlikely that we're being visited...

Nec Aspera Terrent
#6 Old 10-25-2009, 04:28 AM
Ex-*****

Given the vastness of space and all the exo-planets being discovered recently, I would be surprised if there is no other life somewhere out there. Not sure about "intelligent" life, but that too seems likely.

I think we humans have yet much to learn about physics and the nature of the universe. I'm therefore open to the possibility of space travel across vast distances. And if you can't or don't want to send organic lifeforms, then certainly you can send robotic lifeforms who will not complain about journeys taking 100 years or more.

UFO sightings very often seem to be made up by attention-seekers and wackos. It's sad really. I still hold open the door to the possibility that some sightings are the real thing.

I no longer post here after VB was sold in 2012. (See my profile page for details.)
#7 Old 10-25-2009, 05:55 AM
Banned

On one occasion, back around 1970, I saw saucer-shaped objects that appeared to be moving through the atmosphere, and moving in a way that no aircraft moves. I say saucer shaped because I saw one of them change, over the period of a second or 2, from looking like a circle to looking like a cigar. Looked like it may have been a "double-saucer" shaped object that I saw rotate to present a different aspect to my vision. I saw about 10 to 15 objects. Some of them zig-zagged. Others popped out of view, then popped back in again, sometimes in a slightly different position. Sometimes they moved together, sometimes as individuals. At one point they all moved closer and closer to me, very slowly, as if trying to get closre to me the way a human would try to get closer to an animal without scaring it off. The moment it registered in my mind that this is what they may have been doing - they suddenly stopped - as if they were able to read my mind, or my feeling of alarm. I decided to leave the area (near power lines, that ran over a swampy pond). I drove a few 100 feet along the power-line service trail back to the paved road where there was a roadside rest area.

A couple of hours later, as I was sleeping in the roadside rest area, a couple of cops came over to me, knocked on my window to wake me up, asked me what I was doing there. I told them I was tired of driving and taking a nap. They told me that technically I wasn't supposed to sleep there but it was alright if I slept there. Then, just as they were about to leave, one of them said, "by the way, have you seen anything unusual around here recently?"
#8 Old 10-25-2009, 05:55 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Summer View Post

Given the vastness of space and all the exo-planets being discovered recently, I would be surprised if there is no other life somewhere out there. Not sure about "intelligent" life, but that too seems likely.

I think we humans have yet much to learn about physics and the nature of the universe. I'm therefore open to the possibility of space travel across vast distances. And if you can't or don't want to send organic lifeforms, then certainly you can send robotic lifeforms who will not complain about journeys taking 100 years or more.

UFO sightings very often seem to be made up by attention-seekers and wackos. It's sad really. I still hold open the door to the possibility that some sightings are the real thing.

#9 Old 10-25-2009, 06:15 AM

I think it's highly possible that they are here, or have been and gone.

von Neumann probes would make it a lot easier, than just lone explorers.

Quote:
In theory, a self-replicating spacecraft could be sent to a neighbouring star-system, where it would seek out raw materials (extracted from asteroids, moons, gas giants, etc.) to create replicas of itself. These replicas would then be sent out to other star systems, repeating the process in an exponentially increasing pattern. The original "parent" probe could then pursue its primary purpose within the star system. This mission varies widely depending on the variant of self-replicating starship proposed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-re...ing_spacecraft

#10 Old 10-25-2009, 07:03 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
I volunteer my computer to SETI so I do believe in UFO's but I'm not sure if UFO's are necessarily from another place in the universe(in a way). I think it is possible these UFO's are just humans from the future that have figured out time travel.

What a cool thought!!! I do believe in them, now you've given me a whole new angle to ponder.
#11 Old 10-25-2009, 07:32 AM
Veggie Regular

I believe Topher Grace is a space alien, so I do believe in UFOs.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#12 Old 10-25-2009, 07:39 AM
Banned

I don't know why intelligent beings from another planet would go to the lengths of figuring out space travel at light speed or above and travel billions of miles MULTIPLE times to visit us just to anally probe lone people walking their dogs or stomp on some crops for the lols.

However I believe the likelihood of there being other intelligent life out there is very high. But I doubt it will be in a form we could perceive, understand or communicate with. Look at the diversity of life on our planet and wonder why beings from a completely different planet would be anything like us?

In any case, the mineral and elemental make-up of our planet would be so different to theirs that our air would probably be toxic for them to breathe, and anything they ingested here would kill them.
#13 Old 10-25-2009, 08:39 AM
Veggie Regular

Anything can be a UFO if it's flying and you don't know what it is.
#14 Old 10-25-2009, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie View Post

This is what I was going to say!!!
#15 Old 10-25-2009, 10:03 AM
Banned

I think they come from another "dimension." Else how could they just "pop" in and out of visibility as they have been seen to do?

We normally have trouble seeing things that are moving very fast. Even radar would have trouble seeing things that are moving faster than radar can see. Perhaps they are normally moving so fast we can't see them. Yet people say they are silent. No engine sound. No air whooshing sound. Thus they don't move the air much. They somehow move through air without pushing it aside the way everything else we know of, does. It may be that they are just energy, like light, and are not matter.
#16 Old 10-25-2009, 11:04 AM
Veggie Regular

Humans are kind of lame. I can't imagine that a species intelligent enough to travel THIS far, repeatedly, just to look at humans or maybe abduct a few would actually choose to do so.

Well, maybe they are SUPER intelligent species with magical abilities to fly vast distances all the time, and they zoom their elementary school classes to Earth to look at humans as a field trip while studying how certain lifeforms utterly fail. THAT would make sense.
#17 Old 10-25-2009, 11:09 AM

I think i'm more to believing in ghosts than aliens.
#18 Old 10-25-2009, 11:10 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semicharmed View Post

Humans are kind of lame. I can't imagine that a species intelligent enough to travel THIS far, repeatedly, just to look at humans or maybe abduct a few would actually choose to do so.

Well, maybe they are SUPER intelligent species with magical abilities to fly vast distances all the time, and they zoom their elementary school classes to Earth to look at humans as a field trip while studying how certain lifeforms utterly fail. THAT would make sense.

Kind of lame?

Yeah, if they were truly interested in us,

The Big Bad.
#19 Old 10-25-2009, 11:15 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by unovegan View Post

Kind of lame?

Fine. Epically lame.
#20 Old 10-25-2009, 11:32 AM
Veggie Regular

I like the ones from Julian Graves
#21 Old 10-25-2009, 12:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie View Post

Yeah, basically. I think a majority of UFO sightings are one of 3 things: hoaxes, misidentification of something normal, and experimental government aircrafts.

The stealth bomber was around and being tested for years before the public was allowed in on the general knowlege. There are UFO sightings that the government has affirmed was actually due to it's testing. I'm sure there are many other aircraft out there that are causing many people to cry "alien!" and we'll eventually be allowed in on what they are.

That's not saying I believe that we are alone in the universe;I have no real opinion on that. I just don't think that we currently have aliens zipping around in their little space cars trying to vacation here on earth. (or, of course, abduct our cows and anally probe people in West Virginia)
#22 Old 10-25-2009, 12:26 PM
Impeach the gangster

Quote:
Originally Posted by soilman View Post

On one occasion, back around 1970, I saw saucer-shaped objects that appeared to be moving through the atmosphere, and moving in a way that no aircraft moves. I say saucer shaped because I saw one of them change, over the period of a second or 2, from looking like a circle to looking like a cigar. Looked like it may have been a "double-saucer" shaped object that I saw rotate to present a different aspect to my vision. I saw about 10 to 15 objects. Some of them zig-zagged. Others popped out of view, then popped back in again, sometimes in a slightly different position. Sometimes they moved together, sometimes as individuals. At one point they all moved closer and closer to me, very slowly, as if trying to get closre to me the way a human would try to get closer to an animal without scaring it off. The moment it registered in my mind that this is what they may have been doing - they suddenly stopped - as if they were able to read my mind, or my feeling of alarm. I decided to leave the area (near power lines, that ran over a swampy pond). I drove a few 100 feet along the power-line service trail back to the paved road where there was a roadside rest area.

A couple of hours later, as I was sleeping in the roadside rest area, a couple of cops came over to me, knocked on my window to wake me up, asked me what I was doing there. I told them I was tired of driving and taking a nap. They told me that technically I wasn't supposed to sleep there but it was alright if I slept there. Then, just as they were about to leave, one of them said, "by the way, have you seen anything unusual around here recently?"

So what did you tell them, and did they tell you anything?

I saw a single saucer or possibly 'cigar' craft, in 1968, when I was in high school. I had just gone to bed and was looking out the window, when it appeared. It was VERY big, maybe 1/4 mile away, no more than 500-feet off the ground, and moved slowly from west to east- as has been pointed out- without making a sound. I watched it for several minutes until it passed from view. Freaked me out. You may say I'm crazy, but the next day on TV, on the news, there were reports that several hundreds of people had called the local sheriff, police and fire depts. to report they had seen a flying saucer the night before. So I wasn't the only one.

Here's what I've thought about in the years since seeing it: all of the human technologies, in the last 100-years or so, have made exponential advances into "supertechnologies." All except one: simple mechanics; we're still rolling around on wheels and axles, like cave men, pushing things up inclined planes, using levers, pulleys, screws, ect. I have a hunch, the next big breakthrough in technology will involve mechanics, and for want of a better word, may come to be be known as, levitation. Once we accomplish this, we can make flying saucers too!

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder
#23 Old 10-25-2009, 12:42 PM
Veggie Regular

My way out theory is that humans are from another planet, we were like the ****ups, and shipped own here.

When people see ufo's, that could be beings from the place humans originated, just coming down to see how we're getting on.

Why dont they stop and say hi? Look at all the destruction caused by humans, wouldnt you be glad to be rid of us??
#24 Old 10-25-2009, 12:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcpacker View Post

I think it is possible these UFO's are just humans from the future that have figured out time travel.

This is something I have thought for a while too. That's assuming that these 'alien' sightings have been real and are not a figment of people's imaginations. I think that 'visitors from another planet' is much less likely than time traveling humans or hallucinations given that the 'aliens' share so much alike with human body structure (eyes, nose, mouth, a torso, two arms, two legs, bipedal, etc).
#25 Old 10-25-2009, 02:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaroque View Post

-Contact (1997)

I agree. I believe that it is likely that there is other life in the universe. I also agree that it is pretty unlikely that the other life has visited.
#26 Old 10-25-2009, 03:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

I believe Topher Grace is a space alien, so I do believe in UFOs.

Topher Grace can fly? Kewl...
#27 Old 10-25-2009, 07:57 PM
Veggie Regular

I think UFOs are complete and utter rubbish.
#28 Old 10-25-2009, 09:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosiem View Post

I think UFOs are complete and utter rubbish.

You don't believe in unidentified flying objects?
#29 Old 10-25-2009, 09:46 PM
Veggie Regular

I have enjoyed reading everyone's opinions about this topic. I think a lot of people will believe what they want to believe. If the United States was to release all information on UFO's and it came to be that we have never been visited by aliens people would still cry out conspiracy.

I once had a weird dream that I still remember. All my dreams are weird but I don't always remember them. I remember running through a suburban neighborhood. Every now and then I would stop and look back to where I just was and I would see myself doing what I just did. I kept running and looking back and kept seeing myself doing what I just did. I eventually came to a large field and encountered some sort of craft. The beings started speaking in english to each other "Is this the one we want?" "Yes but we will not be taking him now. He has too much to do for his kind." I then woke up. Was this a possible alien abduction? I doubt it. I have a very active imagination. I must also point out that I have been diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia so I come up with crazy things frequently.

Anyways. We as humans don't know very much about the universe around us. We are also very imaginative. It is logical that there must be other intelligent beings out there but like many of you have pointed out. The Universe is vast and we don't know if what we can see is everything.

This will always be a fun topic to discuss. Maybe some day we will have some answers.

"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom"
#30 Old 10-25-2009, 10:09 PM
Veggie Regular

When I was a kid, there was an authentic 50's diner in our neighborhood called The Flying Saucer. There was a soaring neon Flying Saucer on the building, with vinyl seats inside, and hamburgers and fries and everything... -sigh- Oh, I miss it.

Anyway, I'm sure there is SOMETHING else out there, but what I can never figure out is why everyone seems to think that whatever alien beings are out there, they're automatically more advanced than we are, and that's why they're trying to contact us and we don't notice. Why would that be the case? Can't anyone imagine that whatever life out there is LESS intelligent than we are, and therefore they haven't figured out HOW to contact us? Can't it be that THEY are the ones stuck in the dark ages, and not us?

*this space not for sale*

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page