Boycott of Fox News... - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-21-2009, 11:29 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

"To draw attention to its biased coverage, President Obama will not appear on FOX for the rest of this year," notes a MoveOn email, citing recent reporting by The Times. "It's about time Democrats stood up to FOX," continues the missive, which calls on MoveOn members to sign a petition "asking Democrats to support President Obama's stance by staying off FOX as long as he does."

http://www.thenation.com/blogs/notio...join_fox_fight
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-21-2009, 11:32 AM
Veggie Regular

I won't appear on FOX either!
#3 Old 10-21-2009, 11:46 AM
Veggie Regular

I love reading CNN and FOX back-to-back. Media bias from the both sides of the false left-right paradigm makes me giggle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-21-2009, 01:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellye View Post

I love reading CNN and FOX back-to-back. Media bias from the both sides of the false left-right paradigm makes me giggle.

yeah. like will barack obama be appearing with lou dobbs on CNN?

* This post may contain pork, beef and fingers of undocumented workers. This post was manufactured in a facility that processes peanuts.
#5 Old 10-21-2009, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savannah View Post

I won't appear on FOX either!

me either!
#6 Old 10-21-2009, 01:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh geez, that's ridiculous and immature. He's the President, grow the F up!

At least Bush still did interviews with CNBC and CNN. If Obama doesn't agree with how FOX covers things, then he should purposely do interviews with them to say what he believes.
#7 Old 10-21-2009, 01:21 PM

I personally believe that FOX is the most balanced news coverage available, and all other stations are completely biased towards the left. The fact that Obama won't interview with FOX says something about his character. How are we supposed to instill our trust in a leader who backs down to a news station he opposes? Isn't the best way to be fair and balanced to interview with as many different stations as possible to reach the highest audience? FOX does have the highest-climbing ratings. What happened to "peace talks with our enemies" and "rational conversations?"
#8 Old 10-21-2009, 01:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cggraham7 View Post

I personally believe that FOX is the most balanced news coverage available, and all other stations are completely biased towards the left. "

Can I ask who the talking heads are on Fox News that are liberal?
#9 Old 10-21-2009, 01:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Oh yeah, CNN is such a liberal station.
#10 Old 10-21-2009, 01:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I personally believe that FOX is the most balanced news coverage available, and all other stations are completely biased towards the left. The fact that Obama won't interview with FOX says something about his character. How are we supposed to instill our trust in a leader who backs down to a news station he opposes? Isn't the best way to be fair and balanced to interview with as many different stations as possible to reach the highest audience? FOX does have the highest-climbing ratings. What happened to "peace talks with our enemies" and "rational conversations?"

This is just hysterical. Fox News themselves have admitted that they are a biased network.
#11 Old 10-21-2009, 01:49 PM
mlp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiemeggie View Post

Oh yeah, CNN is such a liberal station.

Yeah, that made me laugh too.
#12 Old 10-21-2009, 02:18 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't understand why US news stations have to be so biased. Can't they just report the damn news without twisting it all around and confusing people?
#13 Old 10-21-2009, 02:22 PM
mlp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andromache View Post

I don't understand why US news stations have to be so biased. Can't they just report the damn news without twisting it all around and confusing people?

Most of what passes for "news" here is actually entertainment - the point is to ratchet people up for ratings.
#14 Old 10-21-2009, 02:53 PM
Veggie Regular

My household already has a boycott of Fox News.

slops, gloops, and gruels.
#15 Old 10-21-2009, 03:00 PM
mlp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by peace View Post

My household already has a boycott of Fox News.

But then you're not getting "fair and balanced"!!!
#16 Old 10-21-2009, 03:15 PM
Veggie Regular

"Fair and balanced American media" is a ridiculous statement no matter what news station you're talking about...oxymoron much?
#17 Old 10-21-2009, 03:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

More and more people are turning to FOX news to get the truth. The liberal news outlets are just mouthpieces for the Obama administration. Obama needs to stop being a crybaby. If O'Reilly, Hannity, Beck, Van Susteren, etc., are lying about him, he should go on those shows and confront them. If he does he will have an incredibly large audience. Or maybe that's too hard for him since he won't be able to consult his teleprompter during the interviews.
#18 Old 10-21-2009, 03:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Oh man, if you believe FOX to be balanced, then you are simply not listening closely. So they have high ratings? Does brilliant marketing = good journalism? No, it doesn't. FOX is the most blatantly biased of all the 'news' channels followed closely by MSNBC. The 'straight' news segments at FOX include their 'anchors' referring to other world leaders as 'madman' and calling elected leaders of other nations 'dictator. I suggest you listen far more closely to the value laden terms they use in their 'news' reports. Maybe that will disabuse you of falling for their BS. Ruppert Murdoch is and always has been extremely right-wing. Fox's Editor-in-Chief is Roger Ailes, a former chairman of the Republican National Committee and former campaign manager for George H.W. Bush and one of the primary forces behind the infamous Willie Horton ad during the 1988 Presidential campaign. Do you really believe these guys are capable of being fair and balanced??
#19 Old 10-21-2009, 03:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelleyMarie View Post

More and more people are turning to FOX news to get the truth. The liberal news outlets are just mouthpieces for the Obama administration. Obama needs to stop being a crybaby. If O'Reilly, Hannity, Beck, Van Susteren, etc., are lying about him, he should go on those shows and confront them. If he does he will have an incredibly large audience. Or maybe that's too hard for him since he won't be able to consult his teleprompter during the interviews.

I happen to agree that Obama should appear on the network to be interviewed.

But, no, they turn to FOX because they are brilliant at marketing their product. They even go as far as to manufacture news events (unceasingly promoting the 'Tea Parties' "on April 15th millions are going to raise their voice and FOX will be there' and then having their producers whip up the 'crowds") At FOX journalism is a pathetic joke. Here is an excellent article by Jason Weisberg:

http://www.newsweek.com/id/218192

and another one in the Times:

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com...9/fox-hunting/
#20 Old 10-21-2009, 03:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
More and more people are turning to FOX news to get the truth. The liberal news outlets are just mouthpieces for the Obama administration.

I agree with you KM. I know several moderate liberals who have turned to watching FOX (gasp!) because they all agree that CNN and MSNBC are conduits of bull**** to the highest degree.

I think they're all conduits of bull****, but I'm significantly more cynical than some of my friends.

CNN Headlines:

Cops: Man ran down 'too Westernized' daughter

CNNMoney: Source says U.S. to order pay cuts

CTV: Police called to Edmonton hostage standoff

WJXT: Police in Florida say child's body found

Israel, U.S. begin joint military exercises

FBI: Most Wanted fugitive had plastic surgery

Heene co-worker: Stunt dreamed up for TV

Reality star says she was abused wife

Ticker: First lady confesses her food obsession

Latinos targets of hate crimes

U.S. player alleges racial abuse from own fans

First photos: Nicole Richie introduces baby

New black Barbies get mixed reviews

Rosie O'Donnell, spouse having 'issues'

'Big Brother' winner sold drugs, cops say

One-wheel motorcycle requires no hands

CNN Wire: Body of small child found in...

Balloon boy's surreal saga

Are TV friends nicer?

'30 Rock' star shares pain of dad's death

KISS drummer tried to hide breast cancer

Bold = Sensationalist crime stories, stupid filler, or celebrity/tabloid news. It's not what they're reporting, it's what they're NOT reporting...

FOX News Headlines:

Obama to Expand Bailout to Small Businesses

White House Targets Chamber of Commerce

Where's the Vaccine?

U.N.: Repeal Terror Laws for 'Gender Equality'

Lockerbie Bomber Dead? Lawyer Disputes Claim

Karzai Rival Abdullah 'Ready' for Runoff Election

'Pimp' and 'Prostitute' Defend ACORN Sting Videos

Diplomats: Iran Agrees to Draft Deal on Uranium

Lawmakers: Challenges Ahead in Iraq Withdrawal

Reps. Vote to Get Nat'l Banks Under State Rules

Unemployment Rises in 23 States

Official: Hijacking Thwarted Aboard Flight to Cairo

Body Found in Search for Missing Girl

I have to say, FOX seems to be winning today as far as not reporting on random useless crap. And I am very biased against them.
#21 Old 10-21-2009, 03:50 PM
Veggie Regular

CNN is horrid, but their being horrid does not make FOX good and certainly not fair and balanced. If you want serious news on TV then the News Hour on PBS with Jim Lehrer and the BBC World News are about the only places you will find it.
#22 Old 10-21-2009, 03:50 PM
Veggie Regular

I tend to agree with what Axelrod said, the problem is they are pushing a point of view. It's just not news.
#23 Old 10-21-2009, 03:57 PM
mlp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savannah View Post

CNN is horrid, but their being horrid does not make FOX good and certainly not fair and balanced. If you want serious news on TV then the News Hour on PBS with Jim Lehrer and the BBC World News are about the only places you will find it.

#24 Old 10-21-2009, 03:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Quiz time:

Q: What's the bigger threat to democracy?

A ) Allowing right wing numbnuts equal media access to politicians, even though their reporting is biased?

B ) A political group denying access from any major media source that reports on them unfavorably?

I'm going with "B".

Quote:

CNN Headlines:

Cops: Man ran down 'too Westernized' daughter

CNNMoney: Source says U.S. to order pay cuts

CTV: Police called to Edmonton hostage standoff

WJXT: Police in Florida say child's body found

Israel, U.S. begin joint military exercises

FBI: Most Wanted fugitive had plastic surgery

Heene co-worker: Stunt dreamed up for TV

Reality star says she was abused wife

Ticker: First lady confesses her food obsession

Latinos targets of hate crimes

U.S. player alleges racial abuse from own fans

First photos: Nicole Richie introduces baby

New black Barbies get mixed reviews

Rosie O'Donnell, spouse having 'issues'

'Big Brother' winner sold drugs, cops say

One-wheel motorcycle requires no hands

CNN Wire: Body of small child found in...

Balloon boy's surreal saga

Are TV friends nicer?

'30 Rock' star shares pain of dad's death

KISS drummer tried to hide breast cancer

CNN is turning into a less humorous Fark.
#25 Old 10-21-2009, 04:00 PM
mlp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by das_nut View Post

Quiz time:

A ) Allowing right wing numbnuts equal media access to politicians, even though their reporting is biased?

B ) A political group denying access to any major media source that reports on them unfavorably?

I'm going with "B".

So Fox is being "denied access" if Obama does not do an interview with them? Hyperbole much? I mean, Fox News doesn't think it's necessary to carry the President's news conferences, but they're being stifled if he doesn't appear on their talk shows?!?!
#26 Old 10-21-2009, 04:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by das_nut View Post

Quiz time:

B ) A political group denying access from any major media source that reports on them unfavorably?

I'm going with "B".

I think that Obama should appear on FOX. But, I also think that journalists might want to boycott the station for good reason. They do not practice journalism by any stretch of the imagination.
#27 Old 10-21-2009, 04:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Hence the declaration that they are all full of it.

Quote:

I'm going with "B".

I have to go with B as well.
#28 Old 10-21-2009, 04:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlp View Post

So Fox is being "denied access" if Obama does not do an interview with them? Hyperbole much? I mean, Fox News doesn't think it's necessary to carry the President's news conferences, but they're being stifled if he doesn't appear on their talk shows?!?!

Fair point too. Why is FOX whining when they didn't cover news conferences or the address to the joint session of Congress?
#29 Old 10-21-2009, 04:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I have to go with B as well.

Obama should have wised up and looked at Fox's tax returns instead.
#30 Old 10-21-2009, 04:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Considering they are clearly not a news channel I don't see it as a problem.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page