Dalai Lama is not a vegetarian. Any thoughts? - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#31 Old 10-15-2009, 10:11 PM
Veggie Regular

I know that not every Buddhist sect is vegetarian. There is a wide variety of eating habits from sect to sect and region to region.

"Although the first of the five precepts, the basic code of ethical conduct for all practicing Buddhists, calls upon followers to refrain from intentional acts of killing, it does not address the consumption of flesh from animals that are already dead."

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/a...aq.html#veggie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 10-15-2009, 10:14 PM
Veggie Regular

I guess the Dalai Lama has been sharing needles.
#33 Old 10-15-2009, 10:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsschu2u View Post

I think it is silly to expect perfection of any human, religious leader or otherwise.

Quote:

He doesn't claim to be vegetarian, and he eats meat. I'm not sure how that is hypocritical?

By urging compassion for all animals and for people to be vegetarian, yes, it is hypocritical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaroque View Post

I know that not every Buddhist sect is vegetarian. There is a wide variety of eating habits from sect to sect and region to region.

Yep, Japanese buddhism doesn't include vegetarianism. I've only met one Japanese vegetarian in a year, and basically everyone here is buddhist. Monks are vegan (ish) - they will eat animal products as long as the animal didn't die specifically for them. For example, if someone offers them meat that the family will share as well, they'll eat it. But they won't take meat if it was bought to feed them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 10-15-2009, 10:55 PM
Veggie Regular

To be honest who cares weatehr the Dalai Lama is veg or not? Im a Baptist and most of my religion isnt veg but that doesnt affect weather or not I am. I dont let religion define me. You have to take it with a grain of salt.
#35 Old 10-15-2009, 11:37 PM
Beginner

It is true that practices differ from one sect of Buddhism to another. In Thailand, the majority of people are Buddhist and their sect does not teach or practice vegetarianism. In Laos, they only teach that you should not kill, but it is okay to eat meat if someone else has killed it (too bizarre of a thought process for me). However in Vietnam, there are quite a few Buddhists that practice Vegetarianism and it is easier to find Veg Food in restaurants. I too find it hypocritical of the Dalai Lama...in his position, he should hold himself up to a higher standard.
#36 Old 10-16-2009, 12:10 AM
Lifelong vegetarian

The only person in the world that would horrify me with eating meat would be my wife.

My usual answer: I have never heard a convincing reason to eat meat.
#37 Old 10-16-2009, 12:51 AM
Veggie Regular

He's just a person, he has failings too

being a bit of a media whore is one of them . . .
#38 Old 10-16-2009, 04:23 AM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

The Dalai's been dodgy for ages. Good to see some other people finally agreeing with that summation.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#39 Old 10-16-2009, 05:34 AM

Well if everyone is buddhist, and in buddhism you are not supposed to kill. Then in order for you to eat meat, wouldn't you have to have someone from some OTHER religion kill the animal and offer it to you in order for you to eat it? So if you live in an area where there are only buddhists...those people wouldn't eat meat. You would think right?
#40 Old 10-16-2009, 07:03 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunestrider View Post

The Dalai Lama is not a vegetarian. Any thoughts?

it breaks my heart that someone regarded by so many as the world's foremost expert on compassion makes such selfish dietary choices.
#41 Old 10-16-2009, 07:31 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrieMama View Post

Well if everyone is buddhist, and in buddhism you are not supposed to kill. Then in order for you to eat meat, wouldn't you have to have someone from some OTHER religion kill the animal and offer it to you in order for you to eat it? So if you live in an area where there are only buddhists...those people wouldn't eat meat. You would think right?

It even get's more illogical than that. As long as you don't actually see or hear the slaughter, it is okay to eat the meat. They have people who are butchers and they are shunned by the rest of the community........go figure.
#42 Old 10-16-2009, 07:34 AM
Veggie Regular

Monks, I allow you fish and meat that are quite pure in three respects: if they are not seen, heard or suspected to have been killed on purpose for a monk. ~ Buddha

Meat-eating is a controversial topic in Buddhism; it is one of the major divisive factors between sects.

Buddhist laymen typically accept whatever is offered them as alms - this is considered the practice of even-mindedness, which prevents a sense of moral superiority or asceticism, both of which are looked down upon in Buddhism, since it is The Middle Path. If the animal is already dead, Buddhists can eat it as the action that they are performing is eating, not killing.

Meat is a major staple of the Tibetan diet. It does not surprise me that the Dalai Lama eats it. However, as a vegetarian Buddhist, I personally cannot find it justifiable and have always found meat-eating as a Buddhist hypocritical, even when I did it myself...

Quote:
I too find it hypocritical of the Dalai Lama...in his position, he should hold himself up to a higher standard.

^ This. I have very high respect for the Dalai Lama, but I don't agree with Buddhists eating meat. Eating meat encourages an industry that causes cruelty and death to millions of animals and a truly compassionate person would wish to mitigate all this suffering.

But the omnivorous nature of the world teaches us that there are elements within samsara that are far beyond our control. If you stop eating meat, you do not stop the meat industry. There will always be meat eaters. The Dalai Lama seems to have surrendered his efforts to a causality about which any of us have little say.
#43 Old 10-16-2009, 07:54 AM
Veggie Regular

Like most people have said, some Buddhists eat meat. Like Christianity, there is

more than one sect of Buddhism. As it spread out of India (or Nepal, I guess), the

missionary monks changed the religion to be more acceptable to society. For example, in China, the tradition of monks/nuns going door to door begging for food (which is what the Buddha himself did) stopped. It was seen as bad and parasitic, not part of the historical culture like in India. Only at this point did the idea of clergy being vegetarian catch on. When they beg for food, monks are to eat whatever they are given. In China, where they shop for and cook their own food, they're usually vegan.

Anyways, Tibetans are often considered as kind of the crazy black sheep of Buddhism.

They often follow a secret tradition, and they include a strong guru culture, with

blind obedience to the point of morbid masochism encouraged. The Dalai Lama is a political figure, like the Pope. Some have been nasty people. This one is pretty nice - they got lucky. He puts a good spin on things PR-wise.

I guess what I'm saying is that we really shouldn't expect too much from him. It was almost plain dumb luck for the Tibetan Buddhists that he's regarded as such a nice guy in other respects. He's certainly not perfect.

Still ... it would be nice if he were vegan. He should be, of course, if he wants to

promote non-violenece. But people don't always practice what they preach.
#44 Old 10-16-2009, 08:01 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

http://www.kmspks.org/articles/vege.htm

I'd encourage you to check out the above site. Buddha left the option to eat meat out there. It's not a "requirement".

This is true. When I took refuge (i.e. became a Buddhist) we were told vegetarianism is not a requirement. Many fellow Buddhists are not vegetarian - especially the Chinese, Japanese and Thai cvarieties. I'm a Mahayana Buddhist (Chinese school) and belong to Fo Guang Shan. The nuns/female reverends at my temple and in our school of Buddhism are vegan or vegetarian. The Dalai Lama is from the Tibetan Buddhist tradition and as such is revered but not necessarily the pinnacle of Buddhism for other schools of thought. Ours for example is a humanistic tradition that seeks to become an integrated part of the community rather than positioning themselves outside the community and sitting on top of snow topped mountains chanting.

The Dalai Lama is flawed like everyone and Buddhism is about seeking your OWN path not following blindly.
#45 Old 10-16-2009, 09:45 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

i think it is silly to expect perfection of any human, religious leader or otherwise.

+1
#46 Old 10-16-2009, 02:57 PM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

No one is expecting perfection of him. Just that he at least try not to be a meat-eating, Rolex-wearing, celebrity-snuggling holy man of compassion leading a simple, jet-setting life.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#47 Old 10-16-2009, 08:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwardTour View Post

I respect Buddhism and get a lot more out of it than most religions, but it still has plenty of bull**** in it

There is plenty of bull**** in all corners of humanity. You take what you can from it.
#48 Old 10-16-2009, 08:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post

No-one knows what the Buddha said. Just the same as no-one knows what Jesus Christ said.

considering both are proclaimed to be the result of virgin births, we shouldn't take anything anybody says about them seriously. ever.
#49 Old 10-16-2009, 08:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam antichrist View Post

considering both are proclaimed to be the result of virgin births, we shouldn't take anything anybody says about them seriously. ever.

Good reasoning.
#50 Old 10-17-2009, 08:05 PM
Veggie Regular

I found it pretty shocking that Dalai Lama eats meat, considering that fundamental Buddhism focuses on 'live and let live' and 'compassion'... correct me if i'm wrong but that's what i've been told.

That being said, Majority of Sri Lankans and Koreans are Buddhists but how many of them are vegetarian?... not many.
#51 Old 10-17-2009, 08:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieShane View Post

I found it pretty shocking that Dalai Lama eats meat, considering that fundamental Buddhism focuses on 'live and let live' and 'compassion'... correct me if i'm wrong but that's what i've been told.

That being said, Majority of Sri Lankans and Koreans are Buddhists but how many of them are vegetarian?... not many.

i know a guy who runs intensive chook farms (broilers) who claims to be a buddist. no comment.
#52 Old 10-17-2009, 08:17 PM

I was kinda shocked when I first heard about this....he doesnt owe anyone anything but come on to me he is a hypocrite and shouldnt teach what he isnt practicing himself...just my opinion though.
#53 Old 10-17-2009, 08:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Personally I think he eats meat because he knows what he preaches is bull****. But if their beliefs are true; he will surely choke on a veal bone and come back as sow in a factory farm who spends a few years churning out litters until becoming unproductive, and is then turned into sausage mince or pet food.
#54 Old 10-18-2009, 04:37 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Personally I think he eats meat because he knows what he preaches is bull****. But if their beliefs are true; he will surely choke on a veal bone and come back as sow in a factory farm who spends a few years churning out litters until becoming unproductive, and is then turned into sausage mince or pet food.

Sorry are you referring to Buddhism in general or what the Dalai Lama (as a tibetan buddhist) himself preaches? If the former I think you should maybe take a deep breath and get over yourself. Just because others hold beliefs that you do not does not make them any less meaningful or important to them. You are free to be an atheist or agnostic or a Christian or a Hindu but you need to give others that right of freedom of association too. I understand that you have the right to voice an opinion that you do not agree with the religions of philosophies of others but to write them off as bull is demaning to you as well as those you believe in any kind of philosophy or religion. Feel free to disagree with my beliefs as a Buddhist in compassion for all, peace, goodwill and trying to better myself through clean living and education although I'm not sure what your alternative would be? I used to feel sorry for my parents thinking they were so indoctrinated by Catholicism. After finding solace in Buddhism I can see know that they were seeking something bigger than themselves and found it in Christinaity - who am I to judge them? And before the quips start I'm not judging you I just think its a little poor to dismiss other peoples beliefs. You take from religions and philosophies what you will - whether you take things, like virgins births, literally or not is a personal choice.
#55 Old 10-18-2009, 06:32 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile77 View Post

Sorry are you referring to Buddhism in general or what the Dalai Lama (as a tibetan buddhist) himself preaches? If the former I think you should maybe take a deep breath and get over yourself. Just because others hold beliefs that you do not does not make them any less meaningful or important to them. You are free to be an atheist or agnostic or a Christian or a Hindu but you need to give others that right of freedom of association too. I understand that you have the right to voice an opinion that you do not agree with the religions of philosophies of others but to write them off as bull is demaning to you as well as those you believe in any kind of philosophy or religion. Feel free to disagree with my beliefs as a Buddhist in compassion for all, peace, goodwill and trying to better myself through clean living and education although I'm not sure what your alternative would be? I used to feel sorry for my parents thinking they were so indoctrinated by Catholicism. After finding solace in Buddhism I can see know that they were seeking something bigger than themselves and found it in Christinaity - who am I to judge them? And before the quips start I'm not judging you I just think its a little poor to dismiss other peoples beliefs. You take from religions and philosophies what you will - whether you take things, like virgins births, literally or not is a personal choice.

now who needs to get over themselves? Obviously I was talking about reincarnation, because it should be hard for him to be reincarnated as the dalai lama yet again while causing such Bad Karma (man).

#56 Old 10-18-2009, 08:40 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

now who needs to get over themselves? Obviously I was talking about reincarnation, because it should be hard for him to be reincarnated as the dalai lama yet again while causing such Bad Karma (man).

Maybe he'll take a step down and be reincarnated as mother theresa.

The Big Bad.
#57 Old 10-18-2009, 10:40 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile77 View Post

You take from religions and philosophies what you will - whether you take things, like virgins births, literally or not is a personal choice.

I think taking what you will (in other words, dropping the bits that are too hard to live up to) is the troublesome part with people practicing Buddhism - or any religion really. I haven't met any Buddhist so far who actually shows any respect for the fundamental and compassionate precept of "do not kill" by living up to it. When even the Dalai Lama himself ignores it, I think it highlights just how meaningless it all is.

m8itcanw8.com
#58 Old 10-18-2009, 10:51 AM
Veggie Regular

The Dalai Lama is by far the most beloved overthrown dictator.
#59 Old 10-18-2009, 04:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

"God is very kind. If you want to eat animals, then He'll give you full facility. God will give you the body of a tiger in your next life so that you can eat flesh very freely. "Why are you maintaining slaughterhouses? I'll give you fangs and claws. Now eat." So the meat-eaters are awaiting such punishment. The animal-eaters become tigers, wolves, cats, and dogs in their next life--to get more facility." - A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada
#60 Old 10-18-2009, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Her Jazz View Post

"God is very kind. If you want to eat animals, then He'll give you full facility. God will give you the body of a tiger in your next life so that you can eat flesh very freely. "Why are you maintaining slaughterhouses? I'll give you fangs and claws. Now eat." So the meat-eaters are awaiting such punishment. The animal-eaters become tigers, wolves, cats, and dogs in their next life--to get more facility." - A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada

Hmmm....let's hope the vegetarians don't become the tiger's plant munching prey in their next life. I'm sure the Swami believes the next incarnation is based more on quality of consciousness than anything else, (so an enlightened vegetarian is safe). Maybe he thinks those that get victimized actually wanted that? Regardless, any claims about the afterlife/the next life are suspect. Dalai Lama et all should do what's right in this life because it impacts all living things right now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page